"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Santana434

Yeah baby! Toonami 1997-2004 gang together again, plus sailor moon is back on toonami again since it’s last airing back in 2002. This is very exciting news, right here. It’s like Adult swim just kept getting better and better every time.
Looks like Toonami it's also airing on Fridays but this time it's called Toonami Rewind and it starts May 31st at 5. And the shows are Sailor Moon, DBZ Kai and Naruto.

Looks like Toonami it's also airing on Fridays but this time it's called Toonami Rewind and it starts May 31st at 5. And the shows are Sailor Moon, DBZ Kai and Naruto.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
As Santana pointed out to me the big get of this Toonami rewind block is Sailor Moon. Like it is cool to have Naruto and DBZ on a weekday slot again but yeah SM hasn't been on CN for like over 20 years. Even the April Fools Toonami 2012 block that got the ball rolling on Toonami again didn't have it air an episode so yeah Sailor Moon being on American TV let alone Toonami to me is the huge selling point of this.

I honestly do hope this winds up doing so well we wind up getting this more then once a week. Since no offense to Checkered past I do love the idea of classic shows like Dexter's Lab and Billy and Mandy and Ed Edd n Eddy on CN/AS in some form but like those shows only have like 50-70 something episodes to work with and have already been sort of played out. Doing even a full week run of Naruto, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball which have at least 3-5 times as many episodes to play with would take a lot more time. Plus yeah this is the special Viz Sailor Moon dub that's never even played on TV and if it's the AS Edit that's practically like a whole new show from what DIC originally did so well worth giving that top slots. I guess it would have to "earn" more shots but yeah let's hope this does well so this can earn more slots on the line up.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Amazing news for Toonami fans!

I have been pushing this idea for Saturdays ever since DBZ Kai returns. This is a huge opportunity for Toonami. Now they can split off shows into a separate block. This block will guarantee the Toonami brand stays alive as a core nostalgic brand, airing in the same hours as Checkered Past. It also frees up Saturday nights at 2:30 from DBZ Kai, potentially. That allows IGPX to potentially finish its run with season two. And overall long, we have more slots free on Saturday night Toonami for new seasonal anime. Naruto Shippuden ending soon might still be replaced by Boruto premieres, but I think we can breathe easy that it won’t be reruns of original Naruto, since they are going to Friday nights. Plus this lets DBZ Kai and Naruto air when more people will actually get to see them. Airing such big shows at 2 am would be a waste.

Also, is it just me or are they going to use TOM3.5 for the bumpers? That was the coolest look AS Toonami ever did, so seeing the red theme back is great.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Honestly...wasn't expecting that. I fell out of watching Checkered Past after the first few weeks, but these shows have more than enough episodes (and are only airing once a week) they shouldn't have the issue of repeats.

Part of me wishes we could've got the original DB, but you can't win 'em all. Maybe we'll finally get the rest of Yu Yu Hakusho uncut/in HD since that one teaser episode on April Fools.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

This is randomly cool. Though I'm mixed on the branding for that. I know they can't do Moltar. But still. Was hoping for Tom1/2 style. But good selection of shows to start with.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Looks neat, although I probably wouldn't tune in with this specific lineup. Still, they've got arguably Toonami's all-time biggest heavy hitters, and retaining the rights to Sailor Moon is a welcome boon, even if the franchise doesn't do much for me nowadays.

I kind of hope that this can be daily and air side-by-side with Checkered Past, although the difference between these series and the CKP shows is that the Cartoon Network originals should be free to air as opposed to anime that has to be licensed. Maybe if this does well enough, that can be arranged, though.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is pretty cool news. Having a retro Toonami block is a cool idea. They've tried anime on weekdays before, but usually just repeats of One Piece or DBZ Kai and without any special bumpers too if I recall correctly. Hopefully this gives a good indication of how successful the Toonami block is if they're willing to have a Toonami Rewind weekly block.

Having Sailor Moon is a huge selling point too. DBZ Kai and Naruto are hugely popular series of course, but Sailor Moon hasn't been on the U.S. airwaves for decades. I don't think that the series was even licensed when the Toonami April Fools Day prank happened. The Viz redub definitely wasn't available at least. I've only seen the series subbed, so I might try out the Viz dub. It's still really cool to have basically the big heavy hitters of classic Toonami airing together. Hopefully it does well enough that they can do it more than once a week. I'm sure part of it is also due to how much it would cost, but considering that each of these series have hundreds of episodes, airing five episodes a week instead of one would be really nice.

RunoMisaki573

Basically, it's the new "You Are Here" since Cartoon Network signs off before 6 PM now. Prior to the timeslot changes, we had Friday night Cartoon Network blocks like Fridays, Fried Dynamite, You Are Here and Friday Party, but I have a feeling Toonami Rewind will continue the legacy.

Conttactt

I really hope Rewind is operating on a separate budget. I would not be happy to hear the reason the Saturday schedule is so weak right now is because they funneled money into this offshoot block.

I do like the idea of having a home for old shows rather than sticking them on Saturday where they always fail.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Looks like Toonami is getting its own retro block, starting on May 31st.

In my opinion, it's really cool. It's Toonami. Of course, it's going to get people hyped up. Especially now that Sailor Moon is going to air on Toonami for the first time in decades. For Toonami fans, it's a great treat to see.

Also, this will be the first time Toonami is coming to weekday afternoons since 2004, after being replaced by Miguzi, and Toonami being moved to Saturdays, replacing SVES.

Looking back on that transition, it's such a trip.

So seeing Toonami Rewind will make Toonami fans' childhood scars being healed again, even if it just only one night a week.

So yeah, really cool. I'll be checking it out.

If Toonami Rewind does very very well, then bye bye Checkered Past. Come over to MeTV Toons if you want to.

Since no offense to Checkered past I do love the idea of classic shows like Dexter's Lab and Billy and Mandy and Ed Edd n Eddy on CN/AS in some form but like those shows only have like 50-70 something episodes to work with and have already been sort of played out.
Oh yeah, I have to agree. At least Toonami have more wiggle room since their anime lineup has over 100+ episodes. CN Classics doesn't. So repeating the same episodes over and over again gets tiring.
Also, is it just me or are they going to use TOM3.5 for the bumpers? That was the coolest look AS Toonami ever did, so seeing the red theme back is great.
Yeah, I noticed they used the Saturdays 2004/AS April Fools 2012 branding as well. Not that I'm complain. I thought it was cool.

Plus, we get to see older (recreated) bumpers and music coming to Toonami Rewind. Massive W!

Part of me wishes we could've got the original DB, but you can't win 'em all.
I know right?! But hey, you win some, you lose some.
Maybe we'll finally get the rest of Yu Yu Hakusho uncut/in HD since that one teaser episode on April Fools.
Yeah, that would be awesome.
I know they can't do Moltar. But still. Was hoping for Tom1/2 style. But good selection of shows to start with.
Yeah, they can't do Moltar since C. Martin Crocker passed away. I doubt TOM 1 will be coming back since TOM 1 was voiced by Sonny Strait. So TOM 2 and TOM 3 is definitely the sweet spot for Toonami nostalgia, and Steve Blum is still here. So there ya go.
Does CN really have anything going for it anyway?
Well, other than continuing to get tablescraps, and relying on Gumball and TTG in order to pay the bills, not much else.

CN's current dry spells is pretty telling where WBD's priorities lies.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
The issue is they aren't thinking straight. All they see is immediate profit without any longterm vision of what that will do.

And I prefer Tom 2 over Tom 3 since it's darker. Love the font. But I get why they chose 3. Cheap express.

Santana434

By the way, I don’t wanna complain or nothing while it’s awesome that Sailor Moon is back in U.S airwaves after its 20+ years absence, I felt adding DBZ Kai isn’t anything new. Don’t get me wrong I love DBZ Kai, but it’s just that the show is already playing on the weekend toonami schedule recently. But considering DBZ is like toonami’s golden boy, I guess it’s no surprise to be honest. I mean I was expecting other retro anime we haven’t seen in years like YYH, some Gundam shows, Rurouni Kenshin etc. But we just got three shows on toonami weekday lineup, so it is what it is, but it’s better than nothing I guess. But the toonami rewind definitely has potential to be very successful regardless

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts