"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Moe

Yeah, that's pretty sad. For those who are wanting Cowboy Bebop, or Trigun coming to Toonami Rewind, you're going to be heavily disappointed.
Oh wow, I remembered Cowboy Bebop aired on Adult Swim back in early 2000s, also they ran frequently through the 2000s.

Cowboy Bebop on Toonami Rewind? Extremely unlikely for sure. Toonami Rewind was like more of Cartoon Network's Toonami back in 90s and 00s.

Rynnec

Why DeMarco and the crew haven't been talking more with Sentai and Discotek is something I would really like to know. At this point it's clear dealing with CR is more trouble than it's worth, so you'd think they'd focus on dealing with other companies for the time being.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Why DeMarco and the crew haven't been talking more with Sentai and Discotek is something I would really like to know. At this point it's clear dealing with CR is more trouble than it's worth, so you'd think they'd focus on dealing with other companies for the time being.
Yeah, that’s a good point. I would like to know about that as well.

Also, is it IGPX part of Discotek Media?

Conttactt

Oh yeah. That would take occupy a slot for July and August. I think it's 10 episodes.
The Superman slot won’t open till late July, so R&M could fill up to the end of September. Then maybe Uzumaki finally shows up? R&M will likely get a full series marathon as Kamui did, so that can allow them to stall till the first week of October. Of course, this all hinges on Uzumaki actually materializing.
I'm sure whatever DeMarco's comments were, I mean they probably have to pay a lot for MHA because it's a new season whereas for Demon Slayer he said they got a deal on the price because it wasn't the current season (started airing season 2 when 3 was streaming or just finished).
I don’t have the exact quote but someone asked if the status between CR and Toonami has improved and he gave kind of an “eh” then said it changes every 6 months. The Aniplex side seems to be more independent, which is how they landed DS and Lycoris, but MHA is on the Funi side and that’s where all the trouble is.
Yeah, that's pretty sad. For those who are wanting Cowboy Bebop, or Trigun coming to Toonami Rewind, you're going to be heavily disappointed.
They aren’t permanent rights, but they do have a long term contract for Bebop. That said, I don’t think that’s something they would be willing to air at 5-7.
Most of what Discotek has is far too old and obscure for Saturdays. Sentai is a good question though. Someone asked him about Urusei a couple months ago, and he didn’t even know the remake had started. It’s been out for over a year. So he hasn’t even glanced at the Sentai catalog in all that time.

They don’t hold any of the major shonen so he just doesn’t bother with them. He would rather chase off limits shows for years and years instead. We know he is still actively pursuing JJK.

RunoMisaki573

Still waiting for something like Radiant, Captain Tsubasa 2018, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken and Laid-Back Camp. They're overdue for a Toonami broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aegisrawks

I really hope Sailor Moon survives until Sailor Mars joins, because if it ends before then, that's it for the show.

Or it could be moved to the surprisingly more successful Midnight run at 3 AM.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ok. AS has aired a few from Sentai but I wonder how much a pain AMC is or isn't in the process of getting a show.

Reactions: Moe

Conttactt

Ok. AS has aired a few from Sentai but I wonder how much a pain AMC is or isn't in the process of getting a show.
I believe there was some early concern that acquisition would take them off the table but I don’t believe we ever saw any evidence that it hurt the blocks means of getting shows from them. Made in Abyss and Food Wars S5 came long after the merger, and Shenmue and Ninja Kamui are actually Sentai dubs so they are working together on that front too.

Sentai has always had a sparse presence on the block. They didn’t get their first show on till 2015, and then Demarco iced them out till 2019 when they got Food Wars. I don’t think there is anything more to it than Demarco’s lack of knowledge on modern anime.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don’t think there is anything more to it than Demarco’s lack of knowledge on modern anime.
I don't buy it, there's other people on staff. Would be a big coincidence if they all have the same gap in knowledge of what's the latest anime and what's popular. Plus, there's simple research online. There has to be some other reason than blaming DeMarco.

Made in Abyss and Food Wars may have pushed the envelope with the network censors but anime is anime. Distributor loyalties/company politics? You'd think if Kamui was a Sentai dub it would be you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours and Toonami will air another show from their catalog...

Someone needs to ask DeMarco why so little Sentai Filmworks shows in his next ama.

RunoMisaki573

I really wish Haikyu!! ends up on Toonami, since the dub isn't legally available for streaming, even if Netflix got the whole series.

Speaking of Food Wars and Haikyu!!, they're both E/I programming, so they should have educational and informational material.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I don't buy it, there's other people on staff. Would be a big coincidence if they all have the same gap in knowledge of what's the latest anime and what's popular. Plus, there's simple research online. There has to be some other reason than blaming DeMarco.

To be fair, neither Food Wars nor Made in Abyss were the "latest anime." They were already about 5 years old by the time Toonami started airing them.

Conttactt

He literally admitted in his latest AMA that he didn’t even know that Urusei Yatsura had its new season out. It’s not speculation or exaggeration, he is completely clueless on what’s going on in anime. And the few other people on the staff like Gil are no better. That’s a show 2023 speculators had on their short list for airing on the block because it’s such an entry level pickup, and he didn’t even know it existed. And considering it was one of the biggest titles from Sentai in 2023, it’s pretty hard to believe he even cracked open their catalog for a peek because if he did, it would have been front and center. Yes, the research is simple to do, that’s why it’s so frustrating that he won’t go out and do it.

To be fair, neither Food Wars nor Made in Abyss were the "latest anime." They were already about 5 years old by the time Toonami started airing them.
Keep the circumstances of both in mind. Food Wars was picked up last second when a different show fell through. Had that unknown show deal not fell apart, Food Wars likely never would have aired. And Made in Abyss came after a severe dry period where they had been stalling for over 3 months.

These aren’t first round draft picks, these are desperation pickups they made when there was absolutely no alternative. Thats the only time we see Sentai get a chance on the block.

I’d love for him to prove me wrong in the upcoming slot shuffles, but I’m not holding my breath.

Rynnec

He literally admitted in his latest AMA that he didn’t even know that Urusei Yatsura had its new season out. It’s not speculation or exaggeration, he is completely clueless on what’s going on in anime. And the few other people on the staff like Gil are no better. That’s a show 2023 speculators had on their short list for airing on the block because it’s such an entry level pickup, and he didn’t even know it existed. And considering it was one of the biggest titles from Sentai in 2023, it’s pretty hard to believe he even cracked open their catalog for a peek because if he did, it would have been front and center. Yes, the research is simple to do, that’s why it’s so frustrating that he won’t go out and do it.

DeMarco also has gone on record that he wants to air Witch From Mercury, but is currently unable to. Sentai, however, does have a show called Princess Principal that was a huge success and even got the head writer the attention of Sunrise and Bandai, enough for them to give him head writing duties on one of their shows. The writer in question? Ichiro Okouchi. The show he ended up working on because of it? Witch From Mercury.

So you'd think DeMarco would use that as a reason to pickup Princess Principal air it on the block, and advertise it on Bluesky and other Social Media as being from the same writer as GWitch.

Last edited:

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I really wish Haikyu!! ends up on Toonami, since the dub isn't legally available for streaming, even if Netflix got the whole series.

Speaking of Food Wars and Haikyu!!, they're both E/I programming, so they should have educational and informational material.

What do you mean? Food Wars never aired with an E/I credit. E/I is for broadcast networks and usually used on Saturday mornings to fulfill FCC requirements of providing educational programming for kids. A TV-MA food sex comedy airing after midnight on cable is hardly the sort of thing that gets assigned an E/I credit.

RunoMisaki573

What do you mean? Food Wars never aired with an E/I credit. E/I is for broadcast networks and usually used on Saturday mornings to fulfill FCC requirements of providing educational programming for kids. A TV-MA food sex comedy airing after midnight on cable is hardly the sort of thing that gets assigned an E/I credit.

Well, viewers get to learn each dish and how parts of the food get their flavor and such, which can also apply in real life. Technically science (or chemistry) is taught in the show to an extent. Not to mention home economics being covered.

I was reading articles regarding anime that are educational and informational, and I was surprised to see Food Wars be one of them.

Rynnec

Well, viewers get to learn each dish and how parts of the food get their flavor and such, which can also apply in real life. Technically science (or chemistry) is taught in the show to an extent. Not to mention home economics being covered.

I was reading articles regarding anime that are educational and informational, and I was surprised to see Food Wars be one of them.

I mean, if you want E/I anime on Toonami, then Dr. Stone is right there, and most importantly does not open up with a tentacle ecchi gag.

Not sure why that's a factor, since Toonami doesn't air on E/I hours anyway.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts