"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Conttactt

Related to Toonami Rewind, do you think they could get Cowboy Bebop sometime down the road?
Bebop is likely a little too spicy for the 5-7 hours. Plus, they prefer to beat reruns of that to death on Saturdays anyway. Rewind is likely going to be capped at TV 14 content. And even that won’t be the norm.

aegisrawks

I was about to try and disagree or object but you are correct, this block is made with edgy uncut and uncensored... kids shows. Getting a show like COWBOY BEBOP that early might be verboten.
I reall want to see the ratings to Sailor Moon. If they are lower than the Top 200 reruns it might be cancelled mid run.

Or maybe CN does want kids watching, as in they can watch and they wont kill the broadcast just for skewing too young. I just dont want Sailor Moon's second coming to TV to be a dismal failure.

Conttactt

I was about to try and disagree or object but you are correct, this block is made with edgy uncut and uncensored... kids shows. Getting a show like COWBOY BEBOP that early might be verboten.
I reall want to see the ratings to Sailor Moon. If they are lower than the Top 200 reruns it might be cancelled mid run.

Or maybe CN does want kids watching, as in they can watch and they wont kill the broadcast just for skewing too young. I just dont want Sailor Moon's second coming to TV to be a dismal failure.
Even though CN is basically dead, I think they still want a gentle transition from CN hours to AS hours. Even before the expansions, KotH and Bobs were the mainstays of 7-8pm. Adult shows, but pretty tame. The cuts to Naruto were pretty minor back when it was on CN, Sailor Moon got a lot more banged up, but still, what was cut wasn’t that spicy in the grand scheme. Kai of course we know has been on Nick and the CW, so it’s no stranger to the younger demo.

That’s also a reason I don’t think Checkered Past is going anywhere, at least for now. If it goes, KotH and Bob have to pick up the slack.

I know Demarco said ASA era shows could be options for Rewind, but I have my doubts everything from ASA is on the table purely from a content standpoint.

Rynnec

I know Demarco said ASA era shows could be options for Rewind, but I have my doubts everything from ASA is on the table purely from a content standpoint.
Yeah, at most I'm expecting the "tamer" ASA shows like Trigun, Bleach, S-CRY-Ed, and maaaaybe Champloo. And that's assuming they can even get them in the first place.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Three new schedules posted on Toonami’s FB page indicate they have failed to secure a replacement for Zom 100. One Piece is doubling up again in its place. Demon Slayer is also getting doubled up so they can finish it the same night as Superman season 2. We will see what August holds eventually, but it will probably be a month before we hear anything about any new shows. They are doing a five hour Superman marathon the week after it is over.

Attachments

• IMG_9728.jpeg
    IMG_9728.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9729.jpeg
    IMG_9729.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9730.jpeg
    IMG_9730.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

Conttactt

Yeesh, that is awful. It’s unacceptable to have entire months like this when they apparently have the funds for a separate block. More incompetence from Demarco.

I’d assume Rick anime takes over midnight on Aug 3, but it wouldn’t surprise me if nothing else changes.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
If they can’t afford new shows in the wake of Rewind, we may end up with a lineup like this by the end of August.

12:00 Rick and Morty the Anime
12:30 My Hero Academia
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Naruto
2:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai
2:30 Sailor Moon
3:00 IGPX season 2

Initially I thought Rewind could be used as a way to shift some older long running Shonen reruns like Kai to a retro block. Kai ended up staying, and this theory seems discredited. Rewind is using almost the exact same bumpers as the main block. This allows them to just recoup costs of licensing shows like Kai by airing it on both blocks. I have a feeling they will do the same for original Naruto after the last 9 Shippuden episodes air.

Conttactt

If they can’t afford new shows in the wake of Rewind, we may end up with a lineup like this by the end of August.

12:00 Rick and Morty the Anime
12:30 My Hero Academia
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Naruto
2:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai
2:30 Sailor Moon
3:00 IGPX season 2

Initially I thought Rewind could be used as a way to shift some older long running Shonen reruns like Kai to a retro block. Kai ended up staying, and this theory seems discredited. Rewind is using almost the exact same bumpers as the main block. This allows them to just recoup costs of licensing shows like Kai by airing it on both blocks. I have a feeling they will do the same for original Naruto after the last 9 Shippuden episodes air.
There is some tiny hope to cling to, up to these schedules, Rewind Kai is still not caught up to Saturday Kai. In August, Rewind Kai overtakes Saturday, so perhaps that is when they cut it. You are correct though, I am completely against Rewind if its shows start leaking into Saturday. Here’s an alternative schedule to consider

12 - Rick and Morty (dub)

12:30 - MHA

1- One Piece

1:30 - Naruto

2 - Rick and Morty (sub)

2:30 - Ninja Kamui (replaced by IGPX S2 upon ending)

Still not ideal, but puts an end to the Rewind bleed over entirely. MHA is an educated guess but could change. CR is volatile, for all we know they have closed the doors completely and that’s why stall schedules are coming out. If not MHA, maybe Demon Slayer.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Something must be wrong with their attempts to get MHA if it can't be slotted in to replace Zom. They should be plenty behind. I guess if season 7 gets to debut on Toonami, this will be the furthest its ever been behind Crunchyroll.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Eh, not surprised it's a OP double. That was my more conservative guess. You can sorta see CR "asking" for a longer window of exclusivity with each season of MHA. season 5 was 1 month later. season 6 was 2. If season 7 is August, then that makes it 3 months which would fit the pattern. I could see it being R&M anime and MHA S7 in August, feels like a safe bet.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Still lots of questions as to the future of Demon Slayer on Toonami. Looks like the series will adapt its next arc as a movie trilogy:

Don't know if it will get edited into a TV season or not. We're still two whole seasons behind and I wonder who long they have to wait to get Swordsmith Village and Hashira Training. Really, lots of their tentpole franchises are coming to an end. MHA is in its big climax, Demon Slayer has about twenty episodes left before it switches format to a movie, and Dr. Stone will have its final season. 2025 Toonami will look completely different once all their tentpole shonen franchises are over.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Still lots of questions as to the future of Demon Slayer on Toonami. Looks like the series will adapt its next arc as a movie trilogy:

Don't know if it will get edited into a TV season or not. We're still two whole seasons behind and I wonder who long they have to wait to get Swordsmith Village and Hashira Training. Really, lots of their tentpole franchises are coming to an end. MHA is in its big climax, Demon Slayer has about twenty episodes left before it switches format to a movie, and Dr. Stone will have its final season. 2025 Toonami will look completely different once all their tentpole shonen franchises are over.
6/30: Mugen Train was later adapted into half a TV season. Likely Infinity Castle will, too. 1 full season, maybe 2. Basically season 5 would be Infinity Castle 1 and 2 and season 6 would be Infinity Castle 3 and the final battle/Sunrise Countdown arc. edit: or one more season, 2 cours.

Season 2 (Mugen Train and Entertainment District) took almost 2 years. At that rate we won't see Swordsmith Village on Toonami until March 2025 and Hashira Training April 2026.

7/2: Ninja Kamui getting a Blu-ray release on November 6... in Japan so far but the listing has the Engligh dub so...

Last edited:

aegisrawks

I am going to be the voice of the unpopular opinion and say they should just air the movies. Nick and Disney, when they REALLY want to have ratings, air movies.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I am going to be the voice of the unpopular opinion and say they should just air the movies. Nick and Disney, when they REALLY want to have ratings, air movies.

Adult Swim's super cheap and they've avoided airing movies. The plot essential Made in Abyss movie never aired and that is nowhere near as expensive as the Demon Slayer movies. They apparently can only afford Demon Slayer seasons if they are years behind streaming.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, the only movies they've aired in recent years were the DC Universe DTV ones for forced synergy or whatever it was. It too bad they never aired the Broly and Super Hero Dragon Ball Super movies, too. The former was peak DB animation imo.

Rynnec

Methinks if Demon Slayer can only be affordable years behind streaming and it's expensive to the point of affecting Toonami's budget for other pickups, then maybe it's just not worth it?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Methinks if Demon Slayer can only be affordable years behind streaming and it's expensive to the point of affecting Toonami's budget for other pickups, then maybe it's just not worth it?

It's funny how much Toonami has changed since 2020 since the end of Demon Slayer season one was the end of an era. The first season's dub was a Toonami exclusive not available on streaming. Now they are two whole seasons behind streaming. It is debatable about whether the end of Dragonball Super or the end of Demon Slayer season 1 was the end date for the 2010s Toonami Renaissance, but both dates are arguable end points. Going from exclusive dubs to years behind dubs shows how much relevancy Toonami has lost. Also, MHA appears to be coming August at the earliest, so that dub will be months behind. I think the fanbase personally prefers it when we get the lesser exposed non shonen titles like Lycoris Recoil, Made in Abyss, and Zom 100. Those titles have been what's kept 2020s Toonami more interesting than shonen everyone saw months/years ago on streaming.

Conttactt

Not gonna happen. A movie fills a few slots for one night. The anime cut fills a slot for 11-13 weeks per movie adaption. And then is much easier to slot for a rerun for another 11-13 weeks.
Correct. At the start of the year it didn’t seem like it would be an issue, but now looking at the schedule it’s clear Demon Slayer was a factor at wrecking the budget. And its ratings weren’t even impressive. Though that’s partially fueled by Demarco firmly telling fans they would never air it.

RunoMisaki573

I just hope the remaining 25 episodes of Mob Psycho 100 get picked up by Toonami this August. We are halfway through the year, and having the rest of Mob Psycho 100 aired on Toonami would be perfect to close off the year. It's been years since Seasons 2 and 3 hit crunchyroll, and I have a feeling acquiring these seasons will be easier considering how much time has past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I just hope the remaining 25 episodes of Mob Psycho 100 get picked up by Toonami this August. We are halfway through the year, and having the rest of Mob Psycho 100 aired on Toonami would be perfect to close off the year. It's been years since Seasons 2 and 3 hit crunchyroll, and I have a feeling acquiring these seasons will be easier considering how much time has past.

I don't think that's how Crunchyroll works. We'd have Jujustu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, and SpyXFamily season 1 by now if Crunchyroll lowered the price depending on age. The MHA situation makes what's going on with Crunchyroll look bleak. Maybe it's coming in August, but this is the longest wait and I don't know who wants to see MHA three months (or more) behind on a late night cable block. I think MHA probably will air, but it seems like this season is more difficult to get than previous seasons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts