Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Pooky

Staff member
Even as someone who contributed to Inside Out's controversially high placing in our Disney 100 poll, I'm not feeling Inside Out 2 at all. It looks like a slog, and I feel I know exactly where it's going and what the moral will be and I'm just not interested. I'm sure I'll see it one day and I could be completely 100% wrong, but hey, it's just an opinion.

khuddle

Even as someone who contributed to Inside Out's controversially high placing in our Disney 100 poll, I'm not feeling Inside Out 2 at all. It looks like a slog, and I feel I know exactly where it's going and what the moral will be and I'm just not interested. I'm sure I'll see it one day and I could be completely 100% wrong, but hey, it's just an opinion.
My spider sense is tingling on this one too. It could be to Inside Out what Frozen 2 was to Frozen. But we'll see.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich

I thought I was the only one.

I found the original Inside Out to be charming enough, but it could easily have been left as a one-and-done (I felt the same way about The Incredibles, BTW). Of course, nowadays everything has to be a franchise (Amy Pohler who voices Joy says she'd like to do more, but of course she would: that's more employment and paychecks for her), so we end up with a bunch of cash-grabby sequels. Not only does Inside Out 2 contradict the lore of the first movie (throughout that film we saw inside other peoples' heads, includes adults and animals, and there were only ever the core five emotions, so where did all these other emotions suddenly pop up from?), the new emotions are mostly redundant as they're all just variations of one or more of the original five (and many of them aren't even emotions; nostalgia, envy and ennui are definitely not) and then I get a piece on my news feed on how Disney/Pixar is planning to merchandise the hell out of this movie, with toys galore and a Disney+ spinoff based on one scene in the film.

I could be proven 100% wrong about this, but Inside Out 2 looks like it's got "shameless cash grab" written all over it; everything about it seems to scream "We're only doing this for the money!".

But to balance things out, I also have a positive Unpopular Opinion: I unironically like that "Better Together" song they play at the Pixar Pals parade celebration at the Disney parks.

I don't understand what the big deal is with Helluva Boss and Hazbin Hotel.

I know they're not my taste but I still feel like I'm not understanding why they're so popular.

Add The Amazing Digital Circus and Lackadaisy to this list and this my opinion 100%.

I'm glad that indie animation seems to be thriving, but I don't get the appeal of these shows at all. They just look like they were made to grace T-shirts at Hot Topic and Spencer's Gifts.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
My problem with the majority of Pixar's sequels that even though the company swears that everything they do is driven by story and character, I do think that these are made as needless cash grabs and have little staying power compared to their originals. Aside from Toy Story 2 and 3, I don't think the world would be a worse place without any of them.

I have hope for Inside Out 2, the original is the last Pixar film I truly loved (I know Coco is beloved, maybe some day I'll post why it does little for me here(, but it does feel like this is a glass-breaking situation.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Speaking of, I'll go ahead and give the unpopular opinion that most of Pixar's sequels have been pretty good. Toy Story 2 and 3, Incredibles 2, Monsters U, Finding Dory, Cars 3, all solid films in my book. The only ones I didn't care for were Cars 2 and Toy Story 4.

That said, I too am skeptical what could be added to Inside Out that wasn't already done in the first film. It wouldn't have been my first choice on a movie I wanted a sequel for.

Last edited:

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
Speaking of, I'll go ahead and give the unpopular opinion that most of Pixar's sequels have been pretty good. Toy Story 2 and 3, Incredibles 2, Monsters U, Finding Dory, Cars 3, all solid films in my book. The only ones I didn't care for were Cars 2 and Toy Story 4.

That said, I too am skeptical what could be added to Inside Out that wasn't already done in the first film. It wouldn't have been my first choice on a movie I wanted a sequel for.
I agree. Most of their previous sequels (and in the case of Monster’s University, prequel) are mostly fine movies and aren’t THAT dreadful compared to some other studio’s sequels. Hell, I would even go so far as to say that Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 aren’t even that bad despite the constant negative discourse surrounding those movies and some of my issues with them.

I think the main reason as to why people don’t really like Pixar sequels nowadays is primarily due to how most of Pixar’s (and Disney’s for that matter) upcoming output is mostly comprised of sequels and how plenty of Disney’s movies haven’t been doing the best at the box office (I’m looking at you Strange World), causing people to think that Disney is just making these so they can just get their money back that they lost from their box office bombs. While I personally don’t know if that’s the reason, I really hope that’s not why they’re making them (though considering Disney’s track record in recent years, that’s not out of the possibility).

I really do hope that these upcoming Pixar sequels will be good in spite of some of the rumors i’ve heard about (if some of the things I’ve heard about Toy Story 5’s plot are to be belived…yeesh), but I’ll probably approach them with caution just in case.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
Add The Amazing Digital Circus and Lackadaisy to this list and this my opinion 100%.

I'm glad that indie animation seems to be thriving, but I don't get the appeal of these shows at all. They just look like they were made to grace T-shirts at Hot Topic and Spencer's Gifts.

Also, why can't any of these popular youtube shows be family friendly?

It seems like they all appeal to the "Animation Domination" fans.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
Personally, I think most of Pixar's sequels have been top notch, so I don't understand how someone would not expect the same of Inside Out 2.

I also believe the original Inside Out to be the best Pixar movie ever (so far), and I wanted a sequel for it for years. I'm very excited for the sequel.

khuddle

My problem with the majority of Pixar's sequels that even though the company swears that everything they do is driven by story and character, I do think that these are made as needless cash grabs and have little staying power compared to their originals. Aside from Toy Story 2 and 3, I don't think the world would be a worse place without any of them.
I'd throw Incredibles 2 in there too -- I thought in many ways it was a better pic than the original.

Pooky

Staff member
I also like Incredibles 2 a lot, and I'm kind of surprised how quickly the general verdict on it seems to have dissipated to a sideways-verging-on-downwards-thumb given how well received it was at the time (93% from critics, A+ Cinemascore, well over $1Billion gross). Maybe it helps that while I was looking forward to it, I wasn't one of the super-fans of the original who'd been waiting for a sequel since 2004, so my expectations weren't that high (or specific), I just thought it was a very fun film that showcased many of the advantages of doing a superhero film in pure animation. I guess a case could be made that the Spider-Verse films showed even more of what you could do soon afterwards, but other than both being animated superhero films they aren't very similar (not that ever really stops comparisons being made).

For whatever it's worth, my lack of enthusiasm for Inside Out 2 isn't particularly driven by it being another unexpected and potentially unnecessary sequel, although that's certainly an issue with recent(ish) Pixar and the wider industry, it's based more on what I've actually seen from the trailers; the whole angle of dealing with Riley entering the difficult teen years, the war between the emotions and so forth, it just feels like it'll be kind of a slog, kind of like the awkwardness of Turning Red without the (to me) refreshingly quirky style. Again, I could well be completely wrong, but also again, just how I feel, and I thought it would be better to post it here than clog up the dedicated thread with my negativity.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
Disney's cartoons have held up better than Nickelodeon's Nicktoons for me.

The only Nickelodeon shows I still enjoy watching are Hey Arnold, 1-4 SpongeBob Squarepants

and the Rugrats episode "The Santa Experience" during Christmas.

I've also never been a big fan of Cartoon Network shows besides

The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo & the occasional episode of Dexter's Laboratory.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't want to get too into politics, but I think Phantom 2040, is dated in terms it's musings of technology in the future, but is dead on in terms of social commentary:

Phantom 2040 is like Batman Beyond but even darker because Earth is actually dying. More obscure than Batman Beyond, but definitely more dire social commentary.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Topical unpopular opinion: great storytelling came from the person’s perspective and experience and want to share that experience within the audience with relatability and originality.

Bad storytelling is where you run certain franchises in to the ground with regurgitation and homogenization by announcing certain reboots and spin-offs, disregarding any original ideas as unrealistic and unrelatable, and pissing off everybody else, while lying your own bottom dollar because data and analytics said so.

Remember that, Pixar…

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
I love Toy Story 1-3, "Toy Story of Terror" and Monsters, Inc.

(I have to be in the mood for "Finding Nemo", too.) but other than those movies

I haven't felt much excitement when a new Pixar movie's been announced for a long time.

khuddle

Bad storytelling is where you run certain franchises in to the ground with regurgitation and homogenization by announcing certain reboots and spin-offs, disregarding any original ideas as unrealistic and unrelatable, and pissing off everybody else, while lying your own bottom dollar because data and analytics said so.

A perfect description of modern Star Wars. Talk about a franchise that has lost its way.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
A perfect description of modern Star Wars. Talk about a franchise that has lost its way.
I was speaking about this more generally, but yeah Star Wars and especially Marvel is a good example of how a beloved franchise has completely fall from grace, all thanks to a greedy ass corporation like Disney likes to run them into the ground by making stupid decisions after stupid decisions. It’s no wonder why people lost interest in them because of stuff like this.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts