Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Mejo

Ada-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-beddy-ya!
Okay, that's fair. I'm still not a big fan of either of them anyway.
Yeah, I was just saying that while I don’t like Cars 2, I don’t think it’s the worst of Pixar (aka I agree with the part of your statement that Cars 2 isn’t the worst).

Pooky

Staff member
This meme really shows how dumb the “critics don’t deserve credibility” statement is:

The weird thing is until about 12 years ago it was pretty common for the most popular movies of the year to get way worse reviews than The Super Mario Bros Movie and nobody really cared. I'm not saying I don't understand getting frustrated with critics when you think they're being unfair or missing the wood for the trees, but it's strange to me when critics and the public not seeing eye to eye was kind of just an assumed part of movie culture for so long. Something about the splat of a >60% Rotten Tomatoes really does something to people psychologically.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I think this is where I say I like "The Good Dinosaur" , it's alright movie, I think only because of the Pixar label it gets knocked. If it was even Disney itself, Blue Sky, Dreamworks, a made up studio that doesn't exist, it would have be as knocked as it is. I think it still carries what Pixar does, a) it does something different in animation-it looks beautiful- , b) still has the heart and story and this is a movie that went through hard time being made and still gets that through. So that's my unpopular opinion there.

aegisrawks

I wanted to say this for an extremely long time, any sort of "Knowing is half the battle" segments are ABSOLUTE GOLD for me. No, the DiC dub of Sailor Moon was not ruined by having kids learn lesson at the end of each episode and neither was GI Joe or any other cartoon for that matter.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I wanted to say this for an extremely long time, any sort of "Knowing is half the battle" segments are ABSOLUTE GOLD for me. No, the DiC dub of Sailor Moon was not ruined by having kids learn lesson at the end of each episode and neither was GI Joe or any other cartoon for that matter.

I remember some sticking with me, like the G.I. Joe one where Roadblock tells some kids not to touch downed power lines, and the COPS "don't flash your cash" one. They told stuff kids needed to hear, in an age when TV was starting to become the predominant babysitter.

And that's another thing: DIC gets a lot of flak, but they were either clever or brilliant having the bad guys get in on the moralizing PSA action with MASK and COPS.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
Toy Story 4, man....(sigh) Look, I was against Toy Story 4 since Day 1. Being a "romantic comedy" was enough for me to put my foot and say "NO! " Toy Story 3 is such a God-tier perfect ending that you can never topped that.

I share this opinion as well!

Shiloh Otter

in my 2nd LPS era
Here's one that will certainly be a doozy:

I greatly enjoyed Cars 2.

Is it better than the first Cars? Goodness, no. But it was silly fun!

Zorak Masaki

I remember some sticking with me, like the G.I. Joe one where Roadblock tells some kids not to touch downed power lines, and the COPS "don't flash your cash" one. They told stuff kids needed to hear, in an age when TV was starting to become the predominant babysitter.

And that's another thing: DIC gets a lot of flak, but they were either clever or brilliant having the bad guys get in on the moralizing PSA action with MASK and COPS.
Not from a tv show, but on a side note, ever see the Richard Williams-animated Superman PSAs?

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
People say animated commercials are worthless but let's face it, show business is show business not a charity. And animated comercials often have really great animation.
And I agree with you as there are animated ads that I fondly remember watching as a kid such as those from Kellogg's Coco Pops and Frosties after all.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
Fairly OddParents: A New Wish is good, but as the resident preferrer of "downhill" FOP, I have a few hot takes...

spoilers just in case
Cosmo and Wanda being a couple that loves each again is decent (it's done better here than in the OY!C shorts and the earlier seasons), but I prefer when they more-or-less hated each other.

Poof's return (now as Peri) isn't very good, as he just doesn't feel fun at all (and neither does his voice, despite being the same actor as Foop). Both his personality and voice should've been more like Buhdeuce (who's also the same actor)

The theme song is just eh. Then again, the the only theme song of the franchise I liked is the season 10 one (and the Fairly Odder one, like all other aspects of it, is overhated)

Last edited:

aegisrawks

Fairly OddParents: A New Wish is good, but as the resident preferrer of "downhill" FOP, I have a few hot takes...

spoilers just in case
Cosmo and Wanda being a couple that loves each again is decent (it's done better here than in the OY!C shorts and the earlier seasons), but I prefer when they more-or-less hated each other.

Poof's return (now as Peri) isn't very good, as he just doesn't feel fun at all (and neither does his voice, despite being the same actor as Foop). Both his personality and voice should've been more like Buhdeuce (who's also the same actor)
Yeah no, I respectfully disagree, cartoons where couples loathe each other are so unbearable for me. Respectfully, but heartily disagree.

Unpopular Opinion: Things are not really as bad as everyone, and I admit I myself, thought they were. TV has still some life in it, and things might actually stabilize now that 60k is the norm.

harry580

my opinion: I feel like johnny test would have stayed a warner bros produced show and if they don't wanted it produced by cookie jar for season 2 and onwards, have cartoon network studios do it instead

khuddle

Unpopular opinion: I hate Toy Story 4 more than Cars 2.

Don't get wrong, Cars 2 is complete ass. Mater is so obnoxious in that film and the whole mystery plot was so predictable, and lame, but here's the thing. I'm not a big fan of the Cars franchise anyways. As a kid, I thought was just kinda boring. Yes, the visuals looks pretty, but I just didn't really for characters and the writing was subpar and bland. Hell, I prefer Mattel's Hot Wheels over Disney's Hot Wheels.

With that said, Cars didn't left an impact on me as much as Toy Story does. Despite how terrible Cars 2 was, at least the international race concept was actually interesting. And I know I'm being too nice to a god-awful paycheck kids flick, at least Cars 2 didn't piss me off as much as Toy Story 4 does.

Toy Story 4, man....(sigh) Look, I was against Toy Story 4 since Day 1. Being a "romantic comedy" was enough for me to put my foot and say "NO! " Toy Story 3 is such a God-tier perfect ending that you can never topped that.

But reluctantly, I did see it when it came out, and at first I didn't think it was as bad as thought it was. Then, as the years went on, the more I think about it, the more I begin to hate it.

The reason why I hate Toy Story 4 was because it contradicts Woody's character from the previous films. Yes, Woody was a bit of a jerk at first, but at least he understand that you can still be loved by your owner, especially a child. Just because your being outclass by the new kid (Buzz Lightyear) that doesn't mean your old news. Hell, Buzz called Woody out in Toy Story 2 for the exact reason. In Toy Story 3, Woody told Lotso the Hugging Bear that you can still be loved by your kid, but of course , we all know that turned out for Lotso.

In Toy Story 4, Woody just forget everything what happens in the previous films, and just simping for Bo Peep. No shade on Bo Peep, but I don't feel their relationship between her and Woody. Their relationship lasted for 20 seconds in the previous films, and that's it. It just feels disingenuous.

Another thing I hated about Toy Story 4, is that Andy told Bonnie to take care of the toys while he's out in college. As opposed to 4, Bonnie doesn't give a damn. She made Forky as her new BFF, and screw Woody and rest of the gang. Yeah, I get it, she's a kid and all, but come on! Even I as a kid, I would never forget my toys, and I always looking for them. So the fact that Bonnie just left Woody and the gang behind like that just pisses me off. I mean, shoot, Andy was looking out for the toys in Toy Story 3 the entire time. He wouldn't just abandoned them on purpose.

God, I can go on and on about Toy Story 4, but I'm just not a big fan of this cash grab lol I hope Toy Story 5 can fix a lot of the problems from Toy Story 4, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

You're forgetting the worst part of Toy Story 4 -- Gabby Gabby doing a complete about-face about 3/4 through the movie. Just make her a villain, dammit, and keep her that way.

Its an annoying trend that we're seeing in more and more animated movies these days -- "Raya and the Last Dragon" being another prime example.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why youtube nickjr have Kamp Koral video for this??
Two Two's wrote on Mejo's profile.
What's your favourite classic Disney short?
#releasethebvsentertainmentlibrary
To this day, ever since 2016. I have rightfully hoped that the BVS Entertainment library will be fully released one day. There will be a day where we see high quality masters of these shows.

I plan to stay optimistic.
Say what you will about the contents of their videos but Troom Troom sure knows how to entice their viewers with an intriguing concept!

Featured Posts