Warner Bros. Discovery News & Discussion Thread

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
wbdlogo.jpg

Continued from the previous thread.

This thread will be for posting news related to the studio currently known as Warner Bros. Discovery that does not fit into related threads like the Max streaming service news thread, US TV Channels, and the like.

The standard forum rules will be strictly enforced in this thread because the previous thread routinely went off topic. Do not use this thread for overt wish list posts, repeating over and over that x should buy x and merge, x should sell off x, x should be fired and replaced. Any posts deemed in violation of this mandate will be deleted and infractions will be issued.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
My first post here will be...
Please, WBD, give Frisbee a reason to exist, since it's kinda redundant when they also have Cartoonito that is FTA. K2 sometimes gets new stuff, so it does have some reason to exist (I mean, they were the first channel in the world to air the newest TDI season) and it's wildly different from Boing.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Perhaps WB's 125th anniversary will be much better than the 100th. By that point, everything WB made through 1952 will be in the public domain - including everything that WB sold to a.a.p. in 1956. This provided copyright terms don't get extended again. And I hope they don't. 95 years is long enough.

Moe

Perhaps WB's 125th anniversary will be much better than the 100th. By that point, everything WB made through 1952 will be in the public domain - including everything that WB sold to a.a.p. in 1956. This provided copyright terms don't get extended again. And I hope they don't. 95 years is long enough.
I remember one reason with copyright extension in 1998 was intended to be on par with Europeans' copyright law.

Europeans' copyright law hasn't extended beyond 95 years, so copyright extension isn't going to happen.

I do feel WB would sell restored contents sooner and will continue to sell after contents fall into public domain.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
WBD has announced its newly restructured international management team.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
There's an article on Slashfilm.com where it's believed that Warner Bros. will be sold again in the next 2 years either to NBCUniversal, Apple or Amazon. Another belief is that Paramount and NBCUniversal could merge without WBD. All of this is speculation at this point, but it's interesting to read.

Another rumor is that Microsoft may be interested in purchasing WB, but not Discovery. Again, none of this is concrete, but what do you guys think?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
There's an article on Slashfilm.com where it's believed that Warner Bros. will be sold again in the next 2 years either to NBCUniversal, Apple or Amazon. Another belief is that Paramount and NBCUniversal could merge without WBD. All of this is speculation at this point, but it's interesting to read.

Another rumor is that Microsoft may be interested in purchasing WB, but not Discovery. Again, none of this is concrete, but what do you guys think?

The ONLY reason I wouldn't want to see another selling/acquisition happen is because I don't want to have to go through all this restructuring drama again, especially since they've only been WBD for two years now. Make no mistake: I'd like to see this current regime gone as much as the next person, but ultimately I'd just like for things to be stable at Warner again.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Things will never be stable as long as Zaslav is in charge. He has to go. No matter the cost to the company in the short term. It can't survive long-term with him where he is.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad

(sighs) I'm really trying my best to stay away from WBD discourse because it already becoming a tired, sick joke to the point it really started to annoyed me, but to avoid to become a broke record, this will be my last time talking about this(unless there's something huge).

In my personal opinion, I don't think Warner Bros shouldn't merged another company ever again, let alone in the next 2 years. I get why companies do this in order to streamline their offerings to stay competitive, but they burned way too bridges, losing so many people's jobs, pissing off a lot of people, and left a lot of original projects getting cancelled. Unfortunately, it's gonna continue many years from now, and there's nothing I can really do about it.

Even though I do 10000% agree with @Fone Bone that I want Zaslav to be gone as much as the next guy, I REALLY DO, but I'm siding with @Silverstar a little bit, only because I want Warner to be in a stable position again without going so much turmoil.

With that, I'm done.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Keeping Zaslav where he is for fear of the loss of jobs and income of another buy-out is like people trying to repair the hole in the Titanic with a bunch of dot band-aids. At some point ya gotta abandon ship and man the lifeboats. BTW, time's a factor. Yeah, Warner is in for some pain for another buy-out. And more media consolidation is bad. But if you want the creative types you've loved over the years to return to and feel safe with working at Warner, they need to get rid of so-called most hated man in Hollywood. Any other patch but that is a dot Band-Aid.

harry580

I don’t want to see two major studios merge so it means bigger and fewer studios, and bad news for creators and creatives.
yeah, I still Mad that the disney buyout of fox gotten blue sky studios to be shut down

Moe

Keeping Zaslav where he is for fear of the loss of jobs and income of another buy-out is like people trying to repair the hole in the Titanic with a bunch of dot band-aids. At some point ya gotta abandon ship and man the lifeboats. BTW, time's a factor. Yeah, Warner is in for some pain for another buy-out. And more media consolidation is bad. But if you want the creative types you've loved over the years to return to and feel safe with working at Warner, they need to get rid of so-called most hated man in Hollywood. Any other patch but that is a dot Band-Aid.
Next one could be worse than Zaslav.

I’m very cautious about what is going to happen.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Next one could be worse than Zaslav.
That sounds almost eerily plausible, doesn't it? Except it doesn't take into account the huge amount of norms we used to take for granted Zaslav has routinely violated, and the bridges with content creators he's irrevocably burned. Even if the next guy is a sociopath too, if he has enough common sense to keep his head down, and let the studio manage itself, nobody will complain.

Zaslav's successor has a similarly easy path to success and popularity: Be Not Zaslav. That's it.

Last edited:

Ace

Ace
I think Zaslav is pretty much powerless to fix the problem because it's not just WBD in the rut here. Disney and Paramount have certainly seen better days. I don't believe Zaslav made things any better either.

CN is suffering a slow uneventful death. Max lost a bunch of subscribers since the merger with Discovery+. DC is just an embarrassment at this point. They're not in a good position now and things don't look like they're changing anytime soon.

I'm probably eager to see change even though it might not all be positive because right now it's just sad.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I understand where @JMTV and @Silverstar are coming from. I also don't want to have to endure another WB regime change, especially less than 5 years after the last one. However, if such a sale/purchase means that things will be stable over at Warner Media for the next decade or two, it'll be worth it. Out of the above choices, the one that I like most is Microsoft because Microsoft is a tech company, not an entertainment company and doesn't already have a library of IPs. Microsoft could handle the tech side of things, while WB would handle the entertainment side.

EDIT: Microsoft has now acquired Activision. Ironically, Activision wanted to merge with Warner Brothers a few years earlier.

Last edited:

Moe

@Fone Bone It is unpredictable with corporate studios and they care about money and less with IP and properties. Next one could be better or worse. We thought that WB and Discovery would be great news but it is very unexpected opposite and Zaslav went rogue.

EDIT: Microsoft has now acquired Activision. Ironically, Activision wanted to merge with Warner Brothers a few years earlier.
It looks like FTC is powerless to block the merger and it does expose about how weak are our government to maintain the competition.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

These rumors should just die already. Bunch of worriers those people on the WB lot are.

EDIT: In fact, this speculation was originally brought up in an article about Aquaman 2. It was written by someone who writes misinformation, exaggeration, and hit pieces.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts