Weigel channels discussion (MeTV, H&I, Start TV, Catchy Comedy, MeTV Toons, MeTV+, etc)

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
For whatever reason, zap2it is refusing to add Weigel network subchannels after 8.3 for KCSG (in Utah).
The only ones listed are MeTV (8.1), Catchy Comedy (8.2), and Start TV (8.3).
Missing are H&I (8.4), MeTV+ (8.5), Story (8.6), Movies! (8.7), MeTV Toons (8.8), and the Infomercial channel (8.12).

I've contacted zap2it 2 weeks before the launch of MeTV Toons, and again on the launch day of MeTV Toons.
Aside from the automated response saying to "wait 2 weeks and then try again if issue remains", I've gotten no response (twice), and they have not added the missing subchannels.
This leaves me no choice but to open the individual schedule pages for these networks, and there is no way (on the MeTV website) to view which episodes of MeTV+ shows are coming.

Needless to say, I missed out on the Twilight Zone marathon on H&I because of this.

Any idea on what I should do?
For METV Plus , TV Insider has those listings
MeTV+ - TV Schedule & Listings Guide
other listings are in the change channel spot too.

also try Titan TV Like TitanTV

Moe

For whatever reason, zap2it is refusing to add Weigel network subchannels after 8.3 for KCSG (in Utah).
The only ones listed are MeTV (8.1), Catchy Comedy (8.2), and Start TV (8.3).
Missing are H&I (8.4), MeTV+ (8.5), Story (8.6), Movies! (8.7), MeTV Toons (8.8), and the Infomercial channel (8.12).
It looks like they updated to add H&I, MeTV+, Story and Movies! recently, so could you recheck? I can see that they didn't add MeTV Toons and infomercial channel yet.

I've contacted zap2it 2 weeks before the launch of MeTV Toons, and again on the launch day of MeTV Toons.
Aside from the automated response saying to "wait 2 weeks and then try again if issue remains", I've gotten no response (twice), and they have not added the missing subchannels.
It looked like they are extremely slow with update their website and it seems like they went downhill after sold to Nexstar, so it was good when it was under Tribune.

This leaves me no choice but to open the individual schedule pages for these networks, and there is no way (on the MeTV website) to view which episodes of MeTV+ shows are coming.
Same here, I had to use a guide website to check the episodes on MeTV+ because their website won't say anything for MeTV+.

I wish that Weigel put shows and episodes on their website for MeTV+.

Any idea on what I should do?
Just make a request again to add MeTV Toons and infomercial channel, and just do once per week until they finally add to guide.

ToonRo

It looks like they updated to add H&I, MeTV+, Story and Movies! recently, so could you recheck? I can see that they didn't add MeTV Toons and infomercial channel yet.
I've been checking every day now, and I still don't see them. Clearing cookies did not fix the issue.
Zip code is 84015, if it helps.
Just make a request again to add MeTV Toons and infomercial channel, and just do once per week until they finally add to guide.
Will do. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

Moe

I've been checking every day now, and I still don't see them. Clearing cookies did not fix the issue.
Zip code is 84015, if it helps.
Finally, I got it and yeah, I noticed only 3 channels on guide like you described the problem.

It looks like you are using a station in SLC (KCSG-LD?).

I used 84770 that is in St. George that has all channels on guide, exception of MeTV Toons and infomercial channel.

I'm wonder if Zap2It isn't doing a good track to keep their guide updated for low power transmitters or they are very slowpoke.

@LinusFan303 provided a better solution for right now until Zap2It fix it.

Just wonder, are you using DVR to record OTA shows?

ToonRo

Just wonder, are you using DVR to record OTA shows?
I used to have an old 2000s TiVo DVR, but wouldn't allow me to record any shows, so I hooked it up to an HDMI capture card, and recorded some shows onto my computer that way.
The rewind button on the DVR remote helped record parts of what I missed of the show.

As of a year or two ago, the DVR no longer works, with nothing shown on the TV screen.

Moe

I used to have an old 2000s TiVo DVR, but wouldn't allow me to record any shows, so I hooked it up to an HDMI capture card, and recorded some shows onto my computer that way.
The rewind button on the DVR remote helped record parts of what I missed of the show.

As of a year or two ago, the DVR no longer works, with nothing shown on the TV screen.
Interesting, I used TiVo when I had Spectrum from 2017 to 2019 and Spectrum was very unhelpful with TiVo, so I had to use Zap2It to find a right guide since Spectrum had multiple confusing suburban cities' guide selection. I notice that DVR guide is inaccurate and had to report to TiVo to fix the issues.

Spectrum told me that was extremely rare for customers to request the cable card and last time when they requested was back in 2000s.

Ultimately, we dropped cable TV in 2019, along with TiVo because Bolt cannot be repurpose for OTA, so TiVo make two totally separate model for cable and OTA and in the past, they used to be cable and OTA at same time (Series 4/Premiere and prior models).

Now with Tablo and HDHomeRun, they render TiVo as useless for OTA. I haven't grab one because I have to wait for full ATSC 3.0 support, including all of DRM.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter

Moe

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Some changes to METV starting September 1st
The Flintstones at 6:30am/5:30c is gone (edit: this is already been replaced)
Thunderbirds apparently left a couple weeks ago.

Sundays get the big change , kind of comfy still to me ,
The Flintstones at 10am/9c and 10:30am/9:30c is gone ---> The Brady Bunch takes the slot moving from Noon
The Flintstones at 11am/10c is gone----> Happy Days takes the slot
The Jetsons at 11:30/10:30c is Gone----> Laverne and Shirley takes the slot
The Andy Griffith Show replaces the Brady Bunch at 12/1c
I Love Lucy replaces the Brady Bunch at 12:30/1:30c

Ed Sullivan's Rock N' Roll Classics replaces a Carol Burnett show airing at 10/9c
Highway Patrol replaces Peter Gunn at 4am/3c ad Dragnet Replaces Peter Gunn at 4:30/3:30c
Dragnet Replaces replaces Highway Patrol at 5am/4c

1722410609639.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative

Moe

The Flintstones at 10am/9c and 10:30am/9:30c is gone ---> The Brady Bunch takes the slot moving from Noon

Ed Sullivan's Rock N' Roll Classics replaces a Carol Burnett show airing at 10/9c
Highway Patrol replaces Peter Gunn at 4am/3c ad Dragnet Replaces Peter Gunn at 4:30/3:30c

View attachment 309561
Oh wow, MeTV Toons is major reason for Flintstones, Jetsons and Thunderbirds left MeTV but not everyone have access to MeTV Toons.

There is good news - 3 hours of Saturday morning cartoons still air on Saturday, also there is Toon In With Me from Mon to Fri.

ToonRo

My thoughts:
  • Sunday is the only one with major changes, with the removal of cartoons. Others (aside from the removal of The Flintstones), not so much.
  • On Sundays, I find it weird that they're adding another half-hour slot for The Andy Griffith Show which isn't placed alongside the existing one at 6p/5c. Maybe they'll finally be airing the color seasons?
  • I find it disappointing that nowadays, MeTV schedule changes are rare, and when changes do happen, they're minimal.
What I'd change (on Sundays):
  • If not the color seasons of Andy Griffith, I'd prefer a different Mayberry show at 12p/11c (such as Gomer Pyle or Mayberry R.F.D.), or others such as Full House (which previously would replace the first hour of The Flintstones before they kept it on the last schedule change), My Three Sons, The Bob Newhart Show (because of Bob Newhart's passing), or another I Love Lucy.
  • Replace Happy Days with another Laverne & Shirley, moving Happy Days to weekdays/weeknights.
  • Replace the hour of MASH at 7p/6c with the hour-long version of The Carol Burnett Show (making it's MeTV debut since the Decades/Catchy airings).
  • Replace The Carol Burnett Show at 10:30p/9:30c with The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
On Saturdays:
  • Replace a half-hour of The Woody Woodpecker Show at 8:30a/7:30c with Casper and Company.
  • Replace Kolchak at 12a/11c with Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Star Trek: The Animated Series (which would probably fit better on MeTV Toons), or Star Trek: The Next Generation.
On Weekdays:
  • Instead of replacing The Flintstones at 6:30a with another Adam-12, I'd just revert it to My Three Sons, or replace it with The Addams Family.
  • Replace the 2nd hour of MASH at 7p/6c with an hour of Happy Days (pairing two shows starring Ron Howard, the other being The Andy Griffith Show).

btw, Ed Sullivan has aired before this schedule change, so that's nothing new.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Moe

I find it disappointing that nowadays, MeTV schedule changes are rare, and when changes do happen, they're minimal.
Yeah, I think 80% of MeTV's lineup isn't changed for 4-5 years now. Spamming M*A*S*H is very tiresome.

H&I and Start TV rarely change their lineup as well.

Gomer Pyle or Mayberry R.F.D.
They are on MeTV+ (Saturday) but bad news, 68% of market cannot access to MeTV+ unless they subscribe Frndly or Philo.

Replace Happy Days with another Laverne & Shirley, moving Happy Days to weekdays/weeknights.
Weigel probably want viewers to watch those shows on Catchy Comedy that is available in 70% of market.

More sucks for Frndly and Philo - majority of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley are not streamable and replace with Love, American Style that not many are going to watch substituted show.

Star Trek: The Next Generation
They are on H&I from Sun to Fri. Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers work well.

The Addams Family
It is apparently very hard for Weigel to get syndication from MGM that is owned by Amazon nowadays and they had to remove many MGM shows, save Green Acres and The Rat Patrol. Amazon believes in streaming and much less with linear TV.

@harry580 Now, you know why - I'm not supportive with Amazon buying WBD nor WB alone because they could end most or all of syndication for linear TV, leaving MeTV Toons with cartoon shows from NBCUniversal, WildBrain, some old PBS shows like The Magic School Bus, Hasbro, Sony and several others. WBD is one of biggest contribution to MeTV Toons.

Amazon sell MGM and WBD merge with MGM is not issue as long as Amazon is not in play.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Has there ever been a time since going national where MeTV didn't air The Brady Bunch in the 12 P.M. hour? It was airing in that slot when I first found out about the channel in 2011, but I don't know how long it was airing there before then. (I'm aware it also used to have an additional hour, first at 11 and then at 1, but those are both long gone.)

• Informative

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I find it disappointing that nowadays, MeTV schedule changes are rare, and when changes do happen, they're minimal.
That's because their ratings are strong the way it is so they keep it hard-coded as much as possible. Hogan's Heroes has been in the same slot for 375 years, of course that slot is hard since many stations opt out of that 10/9c slot for the early late local news. - METV allows stations to break away from programming. Antenna TV is consistent too, their morning daytime block (my favorite part) has been the same for years.

Replace Kolchak at 12a/11c
This hurts me , personally. (slightly joking)
Instead of replacing The Flintstones at 6:30a with another Adam-12, I'd just revert it to My Three Sons, or replace it with The Addams Family.
I wonder if they are losing the rights to My Three Sons. I also heard it might be moving to Catchy am not sure. I know cable network FETV is getting it. I would let Antenna TV have the rights just for the fact they can do My Three Sons followed by Father Knows Best. 2 hour of Dad.
Yeah, I think 80% of MeTV's lineup isn't changed for 4-5 years now. Spamming M*A*S*H is very tiresome.
I'm not a fan of the show, but MASH is a big show -even TVLand still runs it- It does very well in METV ratings. The 6pm/5c hour was their hard problem hours for years, so I guess just doing 2 hours fit better.
Has there ever been a time since going national where MeTV didn't air The Brady Bunch in the 12 P.M. hour? It was airing in that slot when I first found out about the channel in 2011, but I don't know how long it was airing there before then. (I'm aware it also used to have an additional hour, first at 11 and then at 1, but those are both long gone.)
They have removed for about 1/2 year in 2022 when they did the Summer Block party , then it was the METV block party, before they brought it back in winter 2023 with the current Sunday afternoon line up (the main part of the channel I watch)

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They have removed for about 1/2 year in 2022 when they did the Summer Block party , then it was the METV block party, before they brought it back in winter 2023 with the current Sunday afternoon line up (the main part of the channel I watch)
Oh yeah, I forgot they did that.

Moe

I wonder if they are losing the rights to My Three Sons. I also heard it might be moving to Catchy am not sure. I know cable network FETV is getting it. I would let Antenna TV have the rights just for the fact they can do My Three Sons followed by Father Knows Best. 2 hour of Dad.
Catchy Comedy don't air My Three Sons, but MeTV+ does on every Saturday (5:30 pm ET / 2:30 pm PT), so it means 3:30 pm in your time zone.

This hurts me , personally. (slightly joking)
I feel ya - I love Kolchak. :)

I'm not a fan of the show, but MASH is a big show -even TVLand still runs it- It does very well in METV ratings. The 6pm/5c hour was their hard problem hours for years, so I guess just doing 2 hours fit better.
Yeah, I can see, I just ignore M*A*S*H and I'm definitely sure that you know me as big drama show fan.

ToonRo

After seeing tonight's Speed Racer episode ("The Secret Invaders (Part 2)") on MeTV Toons aired with the motion interpolation (aka soap opera) effect, this got me worried that the effect will appear in future cartoons they'll acquire.

Because of that, I'll be talking about Weigel's history with the motion interpolation (aka soap opera) effect (which still happens to this day).

It all started when MeTV first aired the Gilligan's Island episode "Slave Girl".
The footage was upconverted from 24FPS to 30FPS, making it appear smoother than usual.
Before that effect occurred though, whenever upconversions from 24FPS to 30FPS did occur, only duplicate frames would come from that, making the footage appear with jittering (and would be caused by improperly deinterlacing the video by removing the even/odd fields, where it's noticeable on 480i content, and is known to fully occur on the FrndlyTV versions of the Weigel networks to this day).
Future airings of the episode would air properly without any interpolation applied.

The next occurrence is when MeTV first aired Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
All but a few episodes contain motion interpolation. The unaffected few would have jittering, and only one episode aired properly without any jittering or interpolation (that being "Flight of the War Witch", forgot if it's just Part 2 or both parts).

Other shows that Weigel would later acquire would air with motion interpolation, such as:
  • In the Heat of the Night (pilot episode and later seasons)
  • The Waltons (all but two episodes)
  • The Monkees
  • Monk (some episodes starting with Season 3)
  • Full House (interpolated from HD 24FPS prints, all episodes except for Season 4 and a few later episodes)
  • The A-Team (most episodes)
  • Thunderbirds (previously thought to be the only MeTV Toons show with the effect applied until the airing of said Speed Racer episode)
  • Gidget
  • The Flying Nun
  • Walker, Texas Ranger (seemingly most episodes)
  • The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
  • Blondie (1950s series)
  • America Unearthed (some episodes?)

Even shows that they already have would later get motion interpolation (in many cases, due to getting new HD prints), such as:
  • The Dick Van Dyke Show
  • Gilligan's Island (a few Season 2 episodes, and one Season 3 episode (which isn't "Slave Girl"))
  • M*A*S*H (early seasons have jittering, later seasons have motion interpolation, and only two episodes known to air properly (one of them being the finale episode "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen"))
  • Perry Mason (seemingly all episodes)
  • The Twilight Zone (some episodes)
  • Rhoda (seemingly most episodes)
  • Happy Days (some episodes of Season 1, and one episode of Season 3 or 4)
  • Laverne and Shirley (one episode on MeTV, seemingly all of them on Catchy Comedy)
  • Star Trek: The Original Series (seemingly all of them on H&I?)
  • The Flintstones (The first few episodes aired with the effect applies after getting HD prints. Later airings of those episodes would seem to have the effect removed, but some parts of some character movements are still smoother than usual, as if frame duplication removal we're attempted. This seemingly happens in all episodes, but isn't noticeable most of the time.)
  • The Andy Griffith Show (one episode of Season 1)
  • I Love Lucy (some episodes)
  • Touched by an Angel (effect first spotted on Start TV, so it's unknown which episodes that aired on MeTV have the effect applied)
  • Full House (seeming all episodes on Catchy Comedy, even the unaffected episodes which aired on MeTV. Additionally, last year, MeTV aired two Christmas episodes, but unexpectedly were the Catchy Comedy versions (where the closing credits appeared during the final scene instead of after it), so as a result, the second episode which previously aired without the effect applied, now has/had it applied.)
  • The Danny Thomas Show (no "Make Room for Daddy" seasons)

With all of that said, I will say while that the motion interpolation effect looks rather nice, I do have a problem with it.
The problem being that there's no way to turn it off. Yup, Weigel is forcing the effect on any viewer who watches their network, even those watching on old CRT TVs.
Such an effect should only be turned on by choice (such as on modern TVs), and not forced upon by any network.
As a result, this (along with the jittering) slightly triggers my OCD, and even tempts me (and other people who have the same issue) to just buy the complete series sets on DVD or Blu-ray. This can be a problem if there's a series I want to own physically on HD Blu-ray, but is only available on DVD or some old format.

I understand that Weigel isn't a big company (like Paramount, Universal, or Warner Bros.), but would it really kill them to just simply air shows the way they already are, as they get from the distributors?
Because if I remember correctly, the edits for commercials are done by the distributors themselves. If that's the case, then Weigel shouldn't need to be doing any additional editing (aside from adding in their own closed captioning).
After all, the interpolation effect is never applied on any commercials they air, even those which promote the shows which are known to have the effect applied.

Years ago, I contacted MeTV about my dissatisfaction of the interpolation effect (and in addition, the jittering), but never got a reply back.
So then, I contacted Weigel about it, and just got told to direct the complaint to MeTV.

I hope whoever person who gets a chance to interview Neal Sabin (whether it's about MeTV Toons or other Weigel networks) asks why Weigel applies the motion interpolation (aka soap opera) effect for some of the shows they air, and when they'll retire it.
Because there are very few (if at all) search results on the internet talking about MeTV/Weigel and said effect.

TL;DR: Video effects/issues (such as soap opera effect and jittering) are affecting the viewing experiences of some Weigel network viewers, with some viewers (like me) having OCD triggered, turning to complete series sets, and/or just flat-out don't like the video issues. No reply back after contacting Weigel about it, so now we wait for Neal Sabin to address the video effects/issues.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Catchy Comedy is airing "That Girl" for their weekend binge, and they are adding the series (it used to air on Antenna TV) on September 2nd, airing with a well slot of after the Danny Thomas show which is Marlo Thomas' father. at 10:30am /9:30c.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts