What cartoons do kids actually watch now?

jaylop97

Staff member
My nephews are mostly interested in Youtube videos to keep them entertained, they're both the ages most kids networks aim for, but when they're not watching those they'll usually watch something like Spongebob, TMNT, The Garfield Show, a random Sonic show, but mostly cartoons that have finished their run regardless of quality, they can watch whatever just as long as it keeps them entertained.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I have kids ranging from high school to junior high to early Elementary school, but they may not be the best example of "what are kids into nowadays" (as I don't give them phones, and we don't have cable - though we do have streaming subscriptions - and I tend to push a "reverence of the classics").

Which means they have a love for all versions of Scooby Doo, from the original to the recent "Scooby Doo and Guess Who?". They watch Pokemon reruns (from just a few years ago to the stuff from when I was into the show - 20 years ago). They watch "Sonic Prime" on Netflix. I've let them watch 80's Ninja Turtles and 80's "Super Mario Bros".

Going by interactions with other kids, "Bluey" is still the big thing for early grade school kids. The older kids seem to all be into "Demon Slayer". And "Encanto" seems to be the last animated film that struck a wide ranging cultural impact. Otherwise, those in Junior High/High School seem to still be riding the wave of "nostalgia" off of the Disney films of the 2010's.

Left to their own devices, my kids tend to watch funny Youtube videos making fun (altering) clips from Disney films or Barbie animated movies, or funny "Let's Play" Youtube channels focusing on "Minecraft" and "Roblox". Stuff like: https://www.youtube.com/@ItsFunneh and https://www.youtube.com/@maizenofficial

I think that's the key - kids nowadays are into Youtube/Tik Tok clips, not full TV shows. Which is probably a sign of the Apocalypse.

My kids just discovered "Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous" and they're really enjoying that.

I also forgot to mention in the previous post above: Paw Patrol is still the big "preschool" show of the last 10 years, and it's not going away (and yes, my kids still love it). It's kind like "Dora the Explorer" 15 years ago (around 2009) - still going strong and no sign of quitting, when it feels like it should be past it's prime.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
My nephews are mostly interested in Youtube videos to keep them entertained, they're both the ages most kids networks aim for, but when they're not watching those they'll usually watch something like Spongebob, TMNT, The Garfield Show, a random Sonic show, but mostly cartoons that have finished their run regardless of quality, they can watch whatever just as long as it keeps them entertained.
Well keep in mind and inform them that YouTube has plenty of legal free animation. A good chunk of MLP episodes previously only on payable services plus adding S6.

All of the original three Beyblade series. Compilations of TMNT 87 (For the first four seasons currently). Sonic X and recently Sonic Boom as well.

Plus between YT and TubiTV are a whole lot of Garfield & Friends.

JoeMabbon

Autobot
In the last week or so, I've started seeing kids wearing clothing from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem. For the last 8 or 9 years, I've only seen kids in stuff from the '87 era of the franchise, so that's a change of pace.

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
I think the kids just watch The Amazing Digital Circus, Skibidi Toilet, that pathetic YouTube Kids stuff, MaxDesignPro, Minecraft/Roblox/Fortnite stuff, Bluey, Cocomelon (yeesh...), PAW Patrol, Peppa Pig, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and so forth.

You know the "Pibby, Bluey, Ohio" meme? Yeah, kids watch most of that stuff mentioned in that meme.

harry580

yeah, I think these things had taken over the jobs that disney/pixar/blue sky studios/dreamworks/illumination/nickelodeon/cartoon network made for the kids

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Autobot
yeah, I think these things had taken over the jobs that disney/pixar/blue sky studios/dreamworks/illumination/nickelodeon/cartoon network made for the kids
I dunno. This thread was originally created because Wish bombed. But this year, Pixar, Dreamworks, and Illumination have more or less demonstrated that there's still an audience for their stuff.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts