What comic books did you read this week? (2024 edition)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What comic books did you read this week?
1/3/24:

Marvel/DC New Releases (Physical Editions):

portrait_uncanny.jpg
91H5H4AbY6L._SY466_.jpg

Beware the Planet of the Apes #1 and The Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries #1

Other Publisher New Release:

81LZ63bqrGL._SY466_.jpg

Gargoyles #11
(from Dynamite Entertainment)

So what have you read this week?!?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm in a bit of a conundrum: I'm subscribed to both "DC Infinite" and "Marvel Unlimited", and I'm torn between reading 4 different sections:

I've been reading Marvel Comics - circa 2009/2010 onward (going back to around when I stopped collecting physical comics).. I'm almost to 2011, and I've just been reading forward.

On the flip side with DC, I've been going back and revisiting the era of DC where I first started paying attention to comic books - to the DC Comics of the early to mid 90's (aka "Death of Superman" and "Knightfall"). During the 90's, I was reading 80% Marvel comics and 10% read DC (and 10% anything else), so this is me revisiting all of those classic DC comics I heard about, but never read. I've just been reading some early 90's Superman and Batman, and and was just planning on reading forward (and was planning on expanding to other characters, like Flash and Green Lantern).

But then I want to get back into modern comics (or as modern as possible, using "DC Infinite" - which is 6 months behind physical release of new comics, and "Marvel Unlimited" - which is 3 months behind physical release of new comics).

So I want to read all of the "Dawn of DC" stuff released in the last year, and just read onward. And then I want to read all of the new "Issue #1s" that Marvel's released in the last year or two, and just read onward.

That's why I created:
a "Current DC Comics Entry Points" list and
a "Current Marvel Comics Entry Points" list.

I was just thinking of using those as starting points for modern comics.

And I've been bouncing back and forth between all 4 time periods (90's DC, 2010's Marvel, Modern DC, Modern Marvel), and not really getting very far. Debating whether to just focus on one or two of them, or to just keep reading a little of each...

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
1/10/24:

91hov0XIG4L._SY466_.jpg
81uvkUfvZeL._SY466_.jpg

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and Action Comics #1061

Other Publishers New Release:

91I5SQYYXmL._SY466_.jpg

Transformers #4
(from Image Comics)

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Well some books, plus a DVD set I got for Christmas:
d904f23f.jpg

And the last of my regular purchases from 2023:
68af64dc.jpg
beec6adb.jpg
1a15c1bf.jpg

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I read the first volume of The Glass Scientists from the library - apparently, it's a webcomic that's been running since 2015 but was just put in print for the first time in October. The creator was a director of The Owl House, and you can feel that vibe here, along with just a lot of great art and lovable characters.

The second volume doesn't come out in print until September, which...screw that. I'm getting caught up now.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
1/17/24:

91gOf8fYz5L._SY466_.jpg
51cWdH0xbTL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

White Widow #3 and Wonder Woman #5

51agWM358KL._SY466_.jpg

Stranger Things: The Voyage #3
(from Dark Horse Comics)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Weekly reviews:

(for reference, I do all of my reading from Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite, but also occasionally buy digital comics on my Amazon Kindle):

861905.jpg

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi #5 (1994): The conclusion to a charming miniseries from that early 90's period where Dark Horse Comics was allowed to just make up their own Star Wars lore. Set thousands of years before the events of "A New Hope", this is....well, it's an interpretation of Jedi lifestyle that obviously contradicts the "monk" lifestyle that George Lucas would establish with the prequels, with married Jedi having Jedi kids, and with multiple students under one master (not the "Jedi/Padawin" dynamic we see in the films). Fun, but set thousands of years ago and so it feels....abstract. And the artwork is very "90's Indy Comic/European Comic". Which I like, but it still feels very much of that time period.

998035.jpg

Black Widow #5 (2010): The conclusion to the best Black Widow story I've ever read (though granted, I haven't read that many. Yes, I heard the 2014 series was also great. I'll get around to reading it eventually). It's not a superhero story, it's a spy/espionage piece, so it's a welcome change of pace. The Widow's background is overly complicated, but this cuts through all of that to make this a simple revenge story. I like how Wolverine and Bucky play important "father figure"/"boyfriend" roles in her life, reinforcing the theme that Black Widow's not alone. Good stuff.

992475.jpg

Invincible Iron Man Annual #1 (2010): Matt Fraction's frustrating writing continues. The Mandarin kidnaps a Hong Kong (martial arts) movie director to film his life story, but the villain's life story is apparently whatever he declares it to be. I don't like the way Fraction writes the Mandarin character (jealous maniac instead of calculating mastermind). It's a "too long" stand alone tale of little relevance.

897343.jpg

Superman #54 (1991): Superman gets time zapped back to World War 2. What's striking is how quickly Superman determines he CAN interfere in events occurring in 1945 - "History says the Nazi's gave up on building a nuclear bomb, so I can take out this secret nuclear bomb building facility!" Umm, okay. That's one way to do it.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Catch up and overall my first 2024 pick up including some Non-Comic Star Trek books:
f9296232.jpg

ce283112.jpg

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Catch up and overall my first 2024 pick up including some Non-Comic Star Trek books:
f9296232.jpg

ce283112.jpg

I like seeing your comic purchases. So which ones of those have you read? And what are your thoughts on them? Do you read all of those in week? (or are you behind on your reading, like me?)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
1/24/24:

81+vE07cIrL._SY466_.jpg
51-jnwGrxCL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Power Pack: Into the Storm #1 and The Penguin #6

91S3QHM2A4L._SY466_.jpg

Dungeons and Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures (Vol. 2) #1
(from IDW Publishing)

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I read some miscellaneous underground comix some weeks ago. As well I am catching up on penguin and the return of superior Spider-Man. Anna marie was captured in the third issue and wow would you look at that….we got our damsel in distress and once again it’s ock’s damsel. No better way to have him show his “heroic” side…..*makes snide face at camera*

I mean look I loved them as a couple and the “bad man is good because he loves” trope is unbeatable and all but…. I think we’re getting into a rut here…..

Antiyonder

Staff member
I like seeing your comic purchases. So which ones of those have you read? And what are your thoughts on them? Do you read all of those in week? (or are you behind on your reading, like me?)
Behind. Finishing some library reads and doing some edits for Power Rangers wikia. Been doing random episode and season PR binges too.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
2/07/24:

51BJmr-gL-L._SY445_SX342_.jpg
516oPtd+z6L._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Ultimate Black Panther #1 and Batman #142

81ois2t4MWL._SY466_.jpg

Godzilla Valentine's Day Special #1
(from IDW Publishing)

Antiyonder

Staff member
And another thing of library checkouts:
f31ff316.jpg

Incidentally the rhyme, Hector Protector was drawn by Stan Sakai.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
2/14/24:

81nzLkWDDxL._SY466_.jpg
41cEsa58pKL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Superior Spider-Man #4 and Action Comics #1062

81b1F45mbpL._SY466_.jpg

The Hunger and the Dusk #6
(from IDW Publishing)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here's my latest reviews:

For reference, I do all of my reading from Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite, but also occasionally buy digital comics on my Amazon Kindle:

1004249.jpg

Thanos Imperative #6 (2010): The end of the Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning written era of the "Cosmic" corner of the Marvel Universe (from "Annihilation" in 2006 to "Thanos Imperative" in 2010, it's all one big story arc, and it's really cool). Yes there was one more mini-series after this, but I suspect that's more of an epilogue. The Guardians of the Galaxy need Thanos' help to re-introduce death to a parallel dimension where death no longer exists, a dimension that seeks to conquer our "main" Marvel Universe. Love the "Cthulhu Mythos" references that are inserted into the script.

801717.jpg

Teen Titans #4 (1966): Holy 1960's Era, Batman!! The Teen Titans battle to stop the Olympics from being sabotaged by terrorists! Strangely enough, there's no bombings or shootings, instead the terrorists are spreading lies and sabotaging events, to "disrupt the Olympic spirit of harmony, of nations coming together". Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick) guest stars this issue - and yes, this is long before he becomes a heroin addict. Fun but cheesy 1960's fluff.

1004235.jpg

Invincible Iron Man #32 (2010): There's a silly plot device about nerds being tricked into thinking they're playing mobile games on their cell phones, but they're actually piloting combat drones. I wonder what inspired the writer to imagine such a concept (I didn't realize in 2010 there was this level of mobile gaming outside of "Angry Birds"). Salvador Larroca's artwork is still the highlight of this era of Iron Man.

1004201.jpg

New Avengers #6 (2010): The "One of these Avengers will die!" words on the cover is false advertising. Yes, someone "dies" in this issue, but it's not one of the ones on the cover (and give it just a couple years, I'm sure they have since come back to life). Doctor Strange on the Avengers still doesn't work, for me. Brian Michael Bendis' scripts still don't work, for me. There was an interesting concept about the Eye of Agamatto here, I'll give Bendis that much credit.

623175.jpg

Flash #41 (1990): I didn't feel like going all the way back to 1987 with the relaunch of the "Flash" title following "Crisis on Infinite Earths". Instead, I decided to start with 1990. So I jumped into reading just a few issues prior to this one here. It's....very much the early 90's. In this issue, Wally has to rescue hostages and defeat "Dr. Alchemy" while trying to appear on his girlfriend Linda's TV show. Fun times! Greg LaRocque's artwork is very much "Todd McFarlane imitation" and I'm down for that, it looks good.

Anyone else reading anything? (retro or new?)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts