What comic books did you read this week? (2024 edition)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What comic books did you read this week?
3/5/24:

For a list of the new items shipping this week, please consult the list at League of Comic Geeks.

Marvel/DC New Releases:

Avengers #11 and Poison Ivy #20
(click the images to view the full size version)

Other Publisher New Release:

Gargoyles: Dark Ages #6
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment
(click the image to view the full size version).
So what did you buy this week?

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"This Week’s New 'Entry Point' Comics: March 6th, 2024"​

Ultimate-X-Men-1-variant.jpg

"Looking for a new comic book series (or mini-series) to dive into? Unsure of where to start?

Each week, we’re looking to track the latest “entry point” comics. We’ll provide the cover, the solicitation text, give our thoughts, and generally just encourage you to try out a new comic!

Here’s what’s new this week (March 6th, 2024):

Ultimate X-Men #1: “Visionary creator Peach Momoko (DEMON DAYS, STAR WARS: VISIONS) creates a new generation of X-Men for an all-new universe! Hisako Ichiki is a teenage girl who just wants to live a normal life—go to school, hang out with her friends, ignore the political strife broiling over after the events of ULTIMATE INVASION—but life has other plans for her. In Japan, urban legends have sprung to life and brought some unusual new powers with them…Meet Armor, Maystorm and a group of new Ultimate X-Men the likes of which you’ve never seen before!”

Peach Momoko has proven to offer striking re-interpretations of Western franchises (such as on “Star Wars: Visions”, so why not let her have a hand in recreating the X-Men for the new “Ultimates” line of comics?"

Read the full article here.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
3/13/24:

For a list of the new items shipping this week, please consult the list at League of Comic Geeks.

Marvel/DC New Releases:

Symbiote Spider-Man 2099 #1 and Wesley Dodds: The Sandman #6

Thundercats #2
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

"This Week’s New “Entry Point” Comics: March 13th, 2024"​

Black-Widow-Hawkeye-2.jpeg

"Looking for a new comic book series (or mini-series) to dive into? Unsure of where to start?

Each week, we’re looking to track the latest “entry point” comics – a place to jump into a new series or storyline (usually that will be a new Issue #1, but not always). We’ll provide the cover, the solicitation text, give our thoughts, and generally just encourage you to try out a new comic!

Here’s what’s new this week (March 13th, 2024 – and yes, this is a day late. Our apologies, loyal readers):

Symbiote Spider-Man 2099 #1: “PETER DAVID RETURNS TO THE SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN SAGA! Set your time circuits ahead to the techno-dystopian future of 2099! Comic legend Peter David (THE INCREDIBLE HULK, SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2099) triumphantly returns to pen the next epic chapter in the Symbiote Spider-Man Saga alongside artist Rogê Antônio (CARNAGE). Miguel O’Hara, A.K.A. SPIDER-MAN 2099, is facing a hostile takeover — of his own body! Kron Stone, the VENOM of 2099 wages an all-out assault on Alchemax, and the only hope of stopping him lies with the power awakened by a top-secret project gone terribly wrong. What must Miguel sacrifice to seal the bond with his new symbiote — his body? His mind? His very soul?!”

It’s the legendary writer Peter David, tinkering around yet again with the “2099” alternate future timeline! What started as a gimmick back in the 90’s (with the “2099” line of comics) turned into a “Cyberpunk meets Superheroes” line of comics that has had it’s ups and downs over the years, but it’s always been at it’s best when written by David."

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
3/20/24:

Marvel/DC New Releases:

Star Wars: Visions - Takashi Okazaki #1 and Batman/Superman: World's Finest #25

Dawnrunner #1
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

"This Week’s New “Entry Point” Comics: March 20th, 2024"​

Dawnrunner-3.webp

Each week, we’re looking to track the latest “entry point” comics – a place to jump into a new series or storyline (usually that will be a new Issue #1, but not always). We’ll provide the cover, the solicitation text, give our thoughts, and generally just encourage you to try out a new comic!

Here’s what’s new this week (March 20th, 2024):

Web of Spider-Man #1: “2024 is primed to be one of the biggest years in Spider-History and you’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg! In the pages of this one-shot, we’re going to lay out some of the biggest upcoming Spider-Stories and characters in the Spider-Verse through the beginning of 2025, and you aren’t going to want to miss this!”

It’s not the start of a new series or mini-series, but it does sound like this is a good entry point for finding out what new Spider-Man storylines are coming out later this year (and on into 2025). It’s unclear if this will be a line-wide relaunch like the upcoming X-Men line of comics, but it’s the start of new Spider-Man stories either way. Plus, that sweet cover by classic “Spawn” artist Greg Capullo…."

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
3/27/24:

Marvel/DC New Releases:

Ultimate Spider-Man #3 and Detective Comics #183

Conan the Barbarian #9
Publisher: Titan Books

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

"This Week’s New “Entry Point” Comics: March 27th, 2024"​

Ghostbusters-Back-in-Town-12.jpg

Here’s what’s new this week (March 27th, 2024):

X-Men ‘ 97 #1: “THE OFFICIAL PRELUDE TO THE HOTLY ANTICIPATED DISNEY+ SHOW! The X-Men are back—and the ’90s have never looked better! In this official prelude to the upcoming X-Men ’97, created in collaboration with the showrunners, discover what Storm, Jubilee, Wolverine and the rest of the beloved ’90s X-Men cast have been up to in the time before their return! Startling revelations here lead directly into the hotly anticipated new series—don’t miss out!”

The “X-Men ’97” series is already out, and so a tie-in comic (set between the end of the old 90’s series and the new series), wasn’t really necessary. The new season likely won’t reference this comic mini-series. Instead, it’s best to look at this as a stand alone dose of “90’s Animated X-Men” nostalgia, and on that alone, it’s worth a look."

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
4/3/24:

Marvel/DC New Releases (Physical Editions):

51XGOwigq3L._SY445_SX342_.jpg
51YuqNQtttL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Sensational She-Hulk #7 and Poison Ivy #21

Other Publishers New Release:

81ZBBywW4SL._SY466_.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Sourcebook #2
(from IDW Publishing)

So what have you read this week?!?

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

"This Week’s New “Entry Point” Comics: April 3rd, 2024"​

Shazam-variant-2-e1712244119181.jpg

Here’s what’s new this week (April 3rd, 2024 – and yes, this is a day late. Our apologies, loyal readers):

Deadpool-1-197x300.jpg

Deadpool #1: “A NEW ERA FOR THE MERC WITH A MOUTH, AND A GUN, AND A SWORD… Cody Ziglar (MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN) has a wild ride planned for the Merc with the mouth! Introducing a terrifying new villain who won’t stop until he catches Wade in his DEATH GRIP. But all work and no play makes Deadpool a very dead boy!”

Just in time to tie in with the upcoming “Deadpool & Wolverine” film, it’s time again for a new Deadpool ongoing! Writer Cody Ziglar is on the rise, and he’s described this run as more of a “workplace comedy”, though preview pages show it will be just as wild as previous Deadpool titles."

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
4/10/24:

Marvel/DC New Releases (Physical Editions):

91oy3QMb1oL._SY466_.jpg
81LdV8glsVL._SY466_.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #47 and Batman and Robin #8

Other Publishers New Release:

81uE74mhyFL._SY466_.jpg

Hercules #1
(from Dynamite Entertainment)

So what have you read this week?!?

Pooky

Staff member
While visiting the city of Bristol last week, I found a second-hand book shop where I picked up Lil' Abner Meets the Shmoo and the Zippy the Pinhead collection Getting There is All the Fun. The Lil' Abner cost a little more than I would have liked, but pretty good for what it is, especially as I've never seen a Lil' Abner collection on sale in the UK before.

If you don't know the Shmoo was such a phenomenon when it was added to the Lil' Abner strip, it spawned a merchandising mania that pretty much set the template for every fad that followed.

The Zippy book is my favourite kind of Comic Strip Collection (other than perhaps the complete collections) a retrospective of the strip over a long period of time with additional notes and context etc. Zippy isn't 100% my cup of tea, but it's interesting, and the regular pop culture references (still somewhat novel for the time) give it an added time capsule element.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Bill Griffith took painstaking care to make 100% sure his "humor" strip was never funny. Not even once. That takes a level of artistic dedication I could never pull off. Dude committed to the bit entirely.

Edit:

You know, if you are taking shots at Bill Watterson in interviews for his lack of artistic integrity, you might actually be bad at this, Griffith.

Edit:

I used to read every comic in the paper every day. Zippy remained stubbornly unfunny and too in love with itself. It's the kind of thing Tim and Eric would read and ask "Where's the joke?"

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
I would say the only strip I've read so far that I genuinely thought was funny was a Sunday strip parody about Zippy's cat "Dingy", which details the proposed Dingy merchandising campaign including "the Dingy backlash" ("The I Hate Dingy Handbook") and "the backlash to the backlash" ("The I Hate Dingy Haters Handbook"). Not quite on par with Bill the Cat but I still laughed.

I did also at least smile at Zippy being scared about a "dream where Dick Tracy got a nose job to look like Warren Beaty"

And there's another strip from 1983 about Hello Kitty merchandise that wasn't funny, but I didn't realise Hello Kitty was popular in the US as early as 1983, so I did learn something.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I would say the only strip I've read so far that I genuinely thought was funny was a Sunday strip parody about Zippy's cat "Dingy", which details the proposed Dingy merchandising campaign including "the Dingy backlash" ("The I Hate Dingy Handbook") and "the backlash to the backlash" ("The I Hate Dingy Haters Handbook"). Not quite on par with Bill the Cat but I still laughed.

I did also at least smile at Zippy being scared about a "dream where Dick Tracy got a nose job to look like Warren Beaty"

And there's another strip from 1983 about Hello Kitty merchandise that wasn't funny, but I didn't realise Hello Kitty was popular in the US as early as 1983, so I did learn something.
Wow, 3 strips in total! He's a far bigger hit with you than he was with me.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
During this week, I've read Mighty Morphin Power Rangers issue 118, Ranger Academy issue 6, Godzilla vs. the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers II issue 1, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Return issue 3 and ThunderCats issue 3.
MMPR_118_Cover_A.jpg

Ranger_Academy_6_Cover_A_Main.jpg

Godzilla_vs_MMPR_II_1_Cover_A.jpg

MMPR_The_Return_3_Cover_A_Main.jpg

Thundercats03ANakayama.jpg

Pooky

Staff member
Mad About the Movies; a collection of MAD Magazine movie parodies, focusing on Warner Bros movies to tie in with the 75th anniversary of the studio, spanning Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Bonnie & Clyde through to Eraser and Mars Attacks!, featuring introductions from Siskel & Ebert and Bugs & Daffy. I personally don't generally find these parodies all that funny, but they certainly have great time capsule value.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts