What do you think modern adult animation?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
What do you think modern adult animation? I think you have way more non-comedic adult animation now than you did in the past: Invincible, X-Men 97, Castlevania, Blood of Zeus, DOTA, Arcane, etc.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
I'm not a fan of the vast majority of it. I briefly watched Rick and Morty a few years ago, but I dropped it pretty fast.

As for action-oriented shows, it's not really my thing at all. There could be some technically great stuff out there that I just won't watch because it doesn't interest me.

JoeMabbon

Robot Clone
It's definitely interesting. Whenever think about it I can't help but think "Western animation has really bifurcated in the last five years." It feels obvious in hindsight, but I really didn't think animation on television would just give up on the 6-11 age bracket.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
While I'm glad that modern adult animation exists and allowed to have more variety of genres rather than just Family Guy/Simpsons knock-offs, but they're just wasn't for me. I honestly prefer kids TV/ all ages animation more.

The only modern adult animation I actually like in recent years was Smiling Friends, and that's about it.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I'm not a fan of the vast majority of it. I briefly watched Rick and Morty a few years ago, but I dropped it pretty fast.

As for action-oriented shows, it's not really my thing at all. There could be some technically great stuff out there that I just won't watch because it doesn't interest me.
While I'm glad that modern adult animation exists and allowed to have more variety of genres rather than just Family Guy/Simpsons knock-offs, but they're just wasn't for me. I honestly prefer kids TV/ all ages animation more.

The only modern adult animation I actually like in recent years was Smiling Friends, and that's about it.

^^What they said.

I'm glad that there's more variety for adult animation out there besides just sitcoms like The Simpsons, Family Guy or South Park, but I'm just not interested in most of them. The only recent adult cartoons that I've really enjoyed were Close Enough and to a lesser extent Young Love; the rest of what's out there right now just ain't doing it for me.

I mean, my idea of a good adult cartoon is something like Cartoon Sushi, Liquid TV, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast or Cartoon Planet. One of THE best adult cartoons ever made was Rocko's Modern Life.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I'm glad that there's more variety for adult animation out there besides just sitcoms like The Simpsons, Family Guy or South Park, but I'm just not interested in most of them. The only recent adult cartoons that I've really enjoyed were Close Enough and to a lesser extent Young Love; the rest of what's out there right now just ain't doing it for me.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Close Enough. That show is my favorite adult cartoon in recent years (I know, I'm biased because I love Regular Show).

Such a shame this show can't continue after Season 3 (Thanks a lot, Zaslav).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
When I was a kid I considered adult comics stuff like Bloom County and Doonesbury. You know, humor talking about issues only adults would understand.

For modern adult animation producers of that fare believe that involves a bunch of cursing, dirty jokes, and blood and gore. I guess I simply fundamentally disagree with what makes a series "adult".

Where are the real political debates and allegories? Where are the real philosophical discussions and complicated friendships and relationships? Gilda And Meek has its share of lowbrow humor (custom of the country) but those things I just mentioned are the real adult oriented things that interest me.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
When I was a kid I considered adult comics stuff like Bloom County and Doonesbury. You know, humor talking about issues only adults would understand.

For modern adult animation producers of that fare believe that involves a bunch of cursing, dirty jokes, and blood and gore. I guess I simply fundamentally disagree with what makes a series "adult".

Where are the real political debates and allegories? Where are the real philosophical discussions and complicated friendships and relationships? Gilda And Meek has its share of lowbrow humor (custom of the country) but those things I just mentioned are the real adult oriented things that interest me.

To be fair, there is a fair amount of class politics social commentary in Arcane. I think Arcane did some great character work too. I think Arcane is a work of art. I also think there are some interesting of social commentary in X-Men 97, I don't want to deep into that here. I don't DOTA is the strongest series ever, but there is an emotional impact when the Invoker lost his daughter and the righteousness of his desire for revenge. I think some of the emotional beats in Hazbin Hotel work, often because it's surrounded by darker material. I would not recommend this stuff for everyone but I like it.

But then again, I am fan of the works of Paul Verhoeven, though not all of his work. I feel like something like Verhoeven's works can seem rather juvenile on the surface, but has a deeper message underneath.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be fair, there is a fair amount of class politics social commentary in Arcane. I think Arcane did some great character work too. I think Arcane is a work of art. I also think there are some interesting of social commentary in X-Men 97, I don't want to deep into that here. I don't DOTA is the strongest series ever, but there is an emotional impact when the Invoker lost his daughter and the righteousness of his desire for revenge. I think some of the emotional beats in Hazbin Hotel work, often because it's surrounded by darker material. I would not recommend this stuff for everyone but I like it.

But then again, I am fan of the works of Paul Verhoeven, though not all of his work. I feel like something like Verhoeven's works can seem rather juvenile on the surface, but has a deeper message underneath.
Here's the thing, as thought-provoking as Bloom County and Doonesbury often were, they were enjoyable. They were funny. The shows you are describing sound like total downers instead. Is that what adults want? To be feel bad? I never agreed to that.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Now, we have a choice between adult comedy cartoons and adult drama cartoons when in the past, comedy was the only option. It is okay for people to prefer adult comedy, but I don't want to go back to the status quo of comedy being the only choice.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's the thing, as thought-provoking as Bloom County and Doonesbury often were, they were enjoyable. They were funny. The shows you are describing sound like total downers instead. Is that what adults want? To be feel bad? I never agreed to that.

Here's the thing, if animation is to be art and tell a variety of tales, I think sometimes it has to be somewhat transgressive. Japan figured this decades ago, it's why anime can go from Pokemon to Berserk and everything in between.

Look at live action TV shows, we allow everything from the Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos to whatever kidcom nonsense we see on Nickelodeon and Disney. I don't see why animation can't go on the same scale. I don't think something is dark means it's needless bleak nonsense. Trust me I seen comic books in the 90s and seen exploitive horror films and hated most of those things. I can tell difference between a dark and yet interesting tale and exploitive nonsense.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Why does all Western adult animated drama need to be dark at all? I never get a satisfactory explanation to this. We can argue about the quality, but I'm asking something entirely different: Why does all of it NEED to be dark? What purpose does it serve?

I don't mean to be rude, but I think this is an interesting debate and I do respect your opinion, even if I don't agree on this issue.

I think ultimately whatever something is too dark or not is a choice that should be made by the individual, rather some suit or censorship board or soccer mom. I think at this point, you and I have different tastes on what makes good fiction. I like horror films, even some kinda Schlocky ones and enjoy them, but even I have limits, but I may have greater tolerance towards darker materials than you, which is fine.

I do think it's kind easy to dismiss something you have never seen, but frankly, I will stand by Arcane, I think it's amazing and it should not be sacrificed on the altar of ''Why is this necessary''? Its necessary because its good art and story telling.

If we are going to animation as a medium rather than a genre, we have to let the medium explore different genres. Horror is something I like in moderation, not everyone likes horror, but I do not think horror or heavier drama and social commentary should be off-limits to animation, even if it does not appeal to everyone.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't mean to be rude, but I think this is an interesting debate and I do respect your opinion, even if I don't agree on this issue.

I think ultimately whatever something is too dark or not is a choice that should be made by the individual, rather some suit or censorship board or soccer mom. I think at this point, you and I have different tastes on what makes good fiction. I like horror films, even some kinda Schlocky ones and enjoy them, but even I have limits, but I may have greater tolerance towards darker materials than you, which is fine.

I do think it's kind easy to dismiss something you have never seen, but frankly, I will stand by Arcane, I think it's amazing and it should not be sacrificed on the altar of ''Why is this necessary''? Its necessary because its good art and story telling.

If we are going to animation as a medium rather than a genre, we have to let the medium explore different genres. Horror is something I like in moderation, not everyone likes horror, but I do not think horror or heavier drama and social commentary should be off-limits to animation, even if it does not appeal to everyone.
I'm not saying we shouldn't have those things. I'm saying we shouldn't have ONLY those things. Western Animation for adults is struggling, because unlike anime in Japan, which has various target audiences and genres, it all seems to be made for bitter males. I'm a male, I'm sometimes bitter, so I get the necessity there. What I want is the variety. I'm glad you enjoy Arcane. It sounds great! I want to be allowed to enjoy something different. Why aren't I?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Western Animation for adults is struggling, because unlike anime in Japan, which has various target audiences and genres, it all seems to be made for bitter males.

Maybe we need more romance and women geared cartoons in America. It does seem like the adult action cartoons so far have only attracted the "nerd" crowd rather than the mainstream crowd just as comics did when they went more adult. I was kinda shocked Primal got a parody in the Simpsons when it seemed like Primal was an niche cartoon only geeks watched.

harry580

I was kinda shocked Primal got a parody in the Simpsons when it seemed like Primal was an niche cartoon only geeks watched.
you mean, these geeks?
1713053088601.png

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Maybe we need more romance and women geared cartoons in America.
That's what I'm saying. There used to be a point in the late 90's and mid-aughts people now make fun of (The Vulgar Wave) because literally every show on TV was created for and catered to adult white males in their 30's. And despite the fact that TV is more inclusive otherwise in 2024, when it comes to adult animation, that is still very much true. And I don't know why.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
And despite the fact that TV is more inclusive otherwise in 2024, when it comes to adult animation, that is still very much true. And I don't know why.

Maybe My Adventures with Superman is close to that idea of what a woman geared cartoon would look like. Fiona and Cake at least seemed like it could cross over with both male and female audiences. It does seem like the idea that media has to have blood and swearing to be adult is an idea exclusive to men's media as TV-G Hallmark movies are acknowledged to be adult media. In theory, a women's cartoon can be just as squeaky clean as kid's cartoon and the target audience wouldn't complain about it not having blood and cussing. Maybe there'd be spicy sex scenes or extended scenes of shirtless men for "Lifetime movie" style cartoons, but "Hallmark" style cartoons would also be well received. Maybe that Disney Channel executive who said that girls "grow out" of animation is why don't see adult women's cartoon in America.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts