What Do You Think the Next Looney Tunes Iteration Should Be?

awinger24

Out of all Looney Tunes TV spin-offs and iterations made since 1989, some of the best has to go to Tiny Toon Adventures, The Looney Tunes Show, Looney Tunes Cartoons and even Wabbit / New Looney Tunes.

Years from now, I am hoping that Warner Bros. has a new iteration of Looney Tunes in development and in production.
I wonder what it is going to be as it can be the first iteration greenlit under the current Warner Bros. Discovery regime.

I could see it going to Cartoon Network primarily as a way to boost viewership and Michael Ouweleen can show full support of the creative team.

What do you think the next iteration should be? What kind of hook should it have? I think it should follow what made story driven formats like The Looney Tunes Show and premise driven formats like NLT and LTC work.

I also think it should improve and take feedback from Tiny Toons Looniversity as most of the plots in my opinion feel too kid-oriented and basic. Whatever gets into the pipeline, it should be both cartoonist driven and script driven. Anything they can do from testing the waters on obscure characters to trying out different pairings and seeing how different dynamics can work.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

All right-y!
I would like to see the Looney Tunes characters in a fast-paced sketch comedy series similar to Laff Riot, the show was remade into The Looney Tunes Show. These characters were designed for shorts, and that's where they work best in. Warner Bros. could have the LT characters all living in a single setting a la Jellystone, but I would definitely want the show's focus to be zany comedy rather than 20-minute sitcom style episodes. And I would definitely want a Lola Bunny with a clear-cut personality and one who's actually funny.

Tiny Toons Looniversity can just finish it's run and then be gone. TTL is just "mid" as the kids like to say. There are some things that I like about TTL, but overall, I didn't and still don't think that we need a new Tiny Toons. Let TT and Animaniacs end, already.

Last edited:

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
I think that Goldstar’s idea is pretty good (though i’m worried that if they go down the sketch comedy route, that might mean we would be subjected to dated parodies of popular movies) but TBH, I really don’t know what idea with them WBD will do next. I feel like were back in that 2000s identity crisis era of Looney Tunes, where there was barely any consistency between projects and just about any idea with them happened no matter how flawed it would be (I’m looking at you Loonatics).

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
I'd like to see something akin to Laff Riot or those Flash animated shorts from 2001 to 2006: quick, fast paced, gag-filled shorts, skits, songs, parodies and filler segments, just with better, more fluid animation and like Looney Tunes Cartoons, they'd be more reminiscent of the 1940's style rather than the tamer 1950's sensibilities. Some of the shorts could have a fixed setting a la Jellystone or Mickey Mouse Works while others could take place in other settings. There could also be a mix of animation styles (ex: Daffy in Wackyland).

I know some people liked The Looney Tunes Show and would like more story oriented stuff like that or Tiny Toons Looniversity, and good on them, but I'm not one of those people. These characters were created for shorts and that's where they do best in my opinion.

I would present these cartoons the way that WB had originally planned to do Looney Tunes Cartoons: rather than dumping them all on Max, I'd have a half-hour TV series set up for some of them, some would premiere on Max and others would air in theaters in front of movies. Also I wouldn't be afraid to mix things up; show pairings we haven't seen before, like Bugs and Porky or Daffy and Sam or Foghorn and Taz. Play around with it, have fun.

Who knows? Maybe they could even go through with that Mixed Nuts idea that Tom Ruegger pitched years ago, which would have seen the Tunes appearing alongside Hanna-Barbera characters.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I don’t love Looney Tunes Cartoons, but that’s the direction I’d like to see with the characters from here, letting them do their own thing for the most part instead of being a “Bugs and Friends” series ala The Looney Tunes Show, Wabbit and Bugs Bunny Builders.

I wouldn’t even mind another series that sidelines Bugs and does something new with other characters like Duck Dodgers, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries or Taz-Mania, but those were made when the characters had more cultural cachet. The franchise is in a better place now than it was in the latter half of the aughts, but I’m not sure if the Looney Tunes will ever go back to their previous cultural ubiquity with younger generations.

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
I would present these cartoons the way that WB had originally planned to do Looney Tunes Cartoons: rather than dumping them all on Max, I'd have a half-hour TV series set up for some of them, some would premiere on Max and others would air in theaters in front of movies.
I really feel like it was unfortunate that the plan to release some of the LTC in theaters never fell through. Now, some definitely would have worked FAR better than other’s (some like Tub-O-War actually don’t look too far off from those 2000s online Webtoons) but it would have been neat to see them do it again (The only ones that I know of that were going to be released in front of movies nationwide are Curse of the Monkeybird in front of Scoob!, Basket Bugs in front of Space Jam: A New Legacy (ironic as the point of Basket Bugs was to make fun of Space Jam), and Sick as a Hare in front of DC League of Super-Pets incidentally)

Overall, I really feel like it was a shame that Looney Tunes Cartoons didn’t take off like it should have (mainly due to HBO MAX’s awful release schedule). Despite some of it’s problems, it’s finest outings are truly fantastic.

awinger24

I do like to see the characters in a sketch comedy or other short form series again as opposed to doing 11-minute or 22-minute episodes.

It might be me but I only feel that Space Jam: A New Legacy, Tiny Toons Looniversity and Bugs Bunny Builders held the brand back into something completely homogenized, corporate and pandering to kids and social media influencers. New Looney Tunes had the right idea and they had a lot on the table besides its visual style, limitations, and varying pacing of episodes.

Format
I only think a variety show with different skits could be just the right compromise and they can do more than just comedy. And the creators should not be afraid to experiment with different character pairings. It may not happen, but I really wish it had more PG and PG-13 elements but that will be a tough sell since WB wants to market the Tunes extensively to kids. Three 7-minute shorts, or a format that is completely unpredictable that you do not know what you can expect in a variety sketch comedy like SNL or The Muppet Show. Maybe it could be interesting to do full-length 22 minute episodes on ocassion like what the original Tiny Toons did.

First, do not do what the Animaniacs reboot did that upset fans. It should not be too cynicial or too preachy. And it should not be limited to just Bugs, Daffy, Lola, Taz, Marvin, Sylvester, Tweety, Wile E. and Road Runner.

Characterization
Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Taz, Marvin, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn, and Speedy do not need much alteration. Elmer, Sylvester, Tweety and Pepé all need to branch out because in the modern shorts, they feel too simplified. Sylvester and Elmer were given different roles in the classic shorts. Why not draw inspiration from that? Tweety should revert back to his original and aggressive personality but in a way similar to Sweetie was in the original Tiny Toon Adventures and have him paired with other characters for a change. It wouldn't be the first time that a problematic character should be reimagined (Speedy in The Looney Tunes Show) but it should be Pepé's turn to be fully modernized (without doing the same schtick) as someone who is charming, silly and full of heart in a modern romantic comedy while doing away with the unwanted advances but is adaptable to any situation. The female characters could also have a consistent and funny personality. This goes for Lola Bunny (who can stay as the sporty/athletic type) and I think she could be friends with Petunia Pig and Penelope Pussycat (who both need some consistency but they need to counterbalance Lola). Maybe Melissa Duck too as they all need a defining trait and a singular flaw to drive forward the comedy. The secondary characters could be all up to the writers but they should be given the spotlight on ocassion.

Claude Cat, Hubie and Bertie, Sylvester's wife from "A Mouse Divided", Charlie Dog, Pete Puma, Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog, Miss Prissy, Barnyard Dawg, Henery Hawk and many more could have their own plotline.

Parodies and spoofs, classic plot formulas, songs and unpredictable but funny pair ups should be the driving focus of a possible new Looney Tunes iteration just as much as the characters back. It needs great fan service, a strong appeal to new audiences and in a way apologizes for the turmoil and bad decisions that happened under WB in the past four years. We need more creative freedom back into Looney Tunes rather than let data and trends dictate what is hot.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
It might be me but I only feel that Space Jam: A New Legacy, Tiny Toons Looniversity and Bugs Bunny Builders held the brand back into something completely homogenized, corporate and pandering to kids and social media influencers.
A kids' movie, a kids' show and a preschool show pandering to kids? Color me shocked. This is my shocked face. :l

I only think a variety show with different skits could be just the right compromise and they can do more than just comedy.
It might be just me, but I personally don't want to see the Looney Tunes on screen and not laugh. Let Pixar do the emotional heartwarming stuff; when I see Bugs, Daffy and company I just want to guffaw at their wacky antics, but that's just my opinion.

awinger24

A kids' movie, a kids' show and a preschool show pandering to kids? Color me shocked. This is my shocked face. :l

It might be just me, but I personally don't want to see the Looney Tunes on screen and not laugh. Let Pixar do the emotional heartwarming stuff; when I see Bugs, Daffy and company I just want to guffaw at their wacky antics, but that's just my opinion.
I completely agree with that. All of these shows I mentioned all have these emotional sappy moments that feel off for the brand but definitely appropriate for the target audience WB was desperately trying to chase. It is my biggest gripe with the LeBron Space Jam movie. I don’t need to see the Tunes acting like a get along family.

Romantic comedy spoofs, I can see. Imagine a triple date with Bugs, Lola, Porky, Petunia, Pepé and Penelope where it goes completely bonkers to the crazy antics of an outside force. Horror comedy, that can work. Looney Tunes Cartoons, New Looney Tunes and Tiny Toon Adventures can easily mold and adapt the characters into whatever the story demands. It’s my biggest hope for the next iteration. Let the show do whatever it wants, parody and spoof whatever it wants, and shake things up by giving us character dynamics and new material where comedy is the prime focus.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
I have a couple more requests for the next iteration of Looney Tunes (whatever or whenever it is):

- DON'T make Daffy a villain! Daffy can have a bit of an ego and a "Me first!" personality, but that shouldn't be his defining characteristic. His main characteristic should be that he's insane, i.e., daffy.

- Please, please, please make Lola funny in the next show! I am so tired of that bland, boring, dull as dishwater version of Lola that we keep getting in Space Jam. WB had a good take on Lola in The Looney Tunes Show and even the Lola on New Looney Tunes was decent. Too bad that she only appeared in 2 shorts (3 if one counts her cameo in "Hare to the Throne").

Last edited by a moderator:

awinger24

I looked at the link showing "Jon and Matthew's Rules" and WB should follow these to a tee. We saw this in NLT and Pete Browngardt's LTC and almost all worked. They should also take notes from other comedy shows to draw inspiration from. I liked that The Looney Tunes Show was able to try something different in a sitcom setting. But Looney Tunes is identified best by fast-paced, zany, and gag-driven comedy all in 6 to 7 minutes. And like with Looney Tunes Cartoons, they need to shake things up by combining what made that iteration successful while also taking notes from New Looney Tunes with how they reimagined characters and did different team ups (a Tweety and Speedy short looked good on paper and in execution).

I have a couple more requests for the next iteration of Looney Tunes (whatever or whenever it is):

- DON'T make Daffy a villain! Daffy can have a bit of an ego and a "Me first!" personality, but that shouldn't be his defining characteristic. His main characteristic should be that he's insane, i.e., daffy.

- Please, please, please make Lola funny in the next show! I am so tired of that bland, boring, dull as dishwater version of Lola that we keep getting in Space Jam. WB had a good take on Lola in The Looney Tunes Show and even the Lola on New Looney Tunes was decent. Too bad that she only appeared in 2 shorts (3 if one counts her cameo in "Hare to the Throne").
- Daffy was reverted back to being a screwball in NLT and LTC. I loved this newer take on Daffy.

- Lola Bunny was also given a big role in the direct to video movie, "Looney Tunes: Rabbits Run" which is an extension to her role in The Looney Tunes Show. She can be more than athletic. I think she should draw inspiration from the original Babs Bunny from Tiny Toon Adventures where she had plenty to work with. She can be unpredictably goofy and funny, fail at puns, have her own set of gal pals with Petunia Pig and Penelope Pussycat. I don't think Lola Bunny needs to be a symbol of perfection (her Tiny Toons iteration was severely underdeveloped due to a last minute change) and making her a Chef was honestly lame.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's kind of hard to see what the next Looney Tunes show should be like. I mean, Looney Tunes Cartoons is probably the show that most closely matches the theatrical shorts, but what about after that? At this point, it probably wouldn't be surprising if the next non-preschool Looney Tunes project goes for something more unconventional, like a focus on a specific character rather than basically the whole gang.

awinger24

We may not get a new Looney Tunes production in the next few years if WBD decides to give the brand a rest. They don't see them as valuable in comparison to DC or Harry Potter. It does not mean that WB is going to end the franchise for good. How are they going to rebrand it properly post-merger?

The ACME Intern and social media partnerships were all handled by executives that did a lot of the weight under WarnerMedia. Pam Lifford and Josh Hackbarth stepped down from WB's merchandising unit. People lost trust in WB after shelving Coyote vs. ACME.

How should all of this lead to a brand reset? The next iteration should really take notes on what made Looney Tunes Cartoons click with many and expand on it. All the characters still work. Keep giving screwball Daffy more presence. Elmer and Sylvester should be given more to do. Find a way for Pepé and Speedy back into the main fold without resorting to problematic traits. And once again, Lola Bunny should be given more depth as a character rather than just a blank template every single time. There is a lot you can do rather than just make them corporate ambassadors for various brand collaborations.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts