What if Fox Kids existed prior to September 8. 1990?

TMC1982

The Fox Network went on the air on October 9, 1986 (1986-10-09) (w/ the launch of The Late Show with Joan Rivers) and started prime time programming on April 5, 1987. As the subject title explains, Fox Kids first went on the air on September 8, 1990. My point is that had Fox Kids been around in the 1980s, what types of programming do you think that they would've likely had aired? For example, would many first-run syndicated animated programs (i.e. those that weren't airing on the "Big Three's" Saturday morning blocks at the time), theoretically, have aired on Fox?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Theoretically, they might have looked for deals like that. They brought Tiny Toons out of syndication and entered a deal with WB to fill their weekday lineup.

Anthonynotes

Given it's only been a few years between Fox's debut and Fox Kids' debut, I don't think much would've changed if it'd debuted a few years earlier. They might've bought out some of the shows of the time as Peter Paltridge said.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Yeah, given we're only talking about a 4 year time difference, I couldn't imagine the changes, if any, being all that dramatic. The Fox Kids shows would have made their debuts earlier obviously and the syndicated shows which were later purchased by Fox might have been acquired earlier, but that's about it.

ABrown

This is actually news to me. In the 80's, Chicago's Fox station is what aired He-Man, She-Ra, Thundercats, and Silverhawks. So I just always assumed that they were Fox Kids shows.

mqg96

Well, as a kid growing up, I don't remember watching Fox Kids that much because by the time I was a kid with vivid memories Kids WB was more popular by then during the late 90's and early 2000's. However, I do remember seeing reruns of Fox Kids shows on Jetix around 2004-2005, like Batman: TAS, X-MEN: TAS, and Spider-Man: TAS. There was also an 80's Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends show as well I remember seeing reran on Jetix. I just remember Jetix having many Power Ranger shows that aired too, some earlier ones from Fox Kids as well. So maybe Spider-man & His Amazing Friends, Thundercats (1985) and some other action cartoons might have aired on there in the 80's.

Honestly, I was never a fan of 80's cartoons, the action shows of the 80's were decent, but not the rest. I feel like cartoons from the 40's-70's were amazing but 80's cartoons were always based off toys, baby spin-offs, DIC, etc. I feel the 80's was the first decade of the bad cartoons with the exception of a few, but the 90's is when it rose back up on top and the 90's was one of the best decades of cartoons in the entire history of mankind.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
If they'd started a few years earlier, they might have been the ones to pick up Chuck Norris & His Karate Commandos for a full 65 episode run. They might have also developed shows like Peter Pan & The Pirates and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes a few years earlier (with AoTKT coming right off of Return of the Killer Tomatoes success instead of coming two years later), possibly giving both more seasons/episodes.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Sorry to bump, but since Fox briefly helped syndicate Double Dare and even had their own network version, they could air double dare. Could, mind you.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Fone to this day vouches for this place and I’ll never understand why. I didn’t ask for him to speak on my behalf, but he did, and that was the true nail in the coffin for his account here.

He stuck his neck out for practically everyone here and the boards want you to pretend he never existed.
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!

Featured Posts