What Movies Did You See in Theaters in 2016?

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
It's almost the end of the year, so time for the annual thread. What movies did you see in theaters this year?

Here's what I went to:

New movies:

-Finding Dory
-Hail Caesar!
-Hateful Eight
-Inferno
-MinnAnimate festival #5 - showcased one of my own shorts!
-Moana
-Snowden
-Star Wars: Rogue One
-Storks
-Sully
-Wiener Dog

Older movies:
-Abraxas
-Monster Squad
-Only Yesterday (English version)
-Pink Flamingos - walked out!

All the animated films I saw were probably my favorites of the year, and MinnAnimate was a great opportunity to see local talent. And Abraxas (starring Jesse Ventura!) was glorious in its cheesiness.

Least favorite? Easily Pink Flamingos, which I gave up on after about an hour. The thing is, I expected the movie to not live up to its reputation because it was made in the early '70s, so I thought it would be dated (that is, what seemed shocking back then might look passe now). But in some ways, it was worse, because nearly everything that happened on-screen actually happened in real life; little was faked. We're talkin' sex with chickens, insemination by vial, an extreme close-up of a guy's anus, etc. As a result, it had a snuff film vibe. Yech.

I also didn't care for Monster Squad, which was basically a mess.

As for Wiener Dog... it's a downer, but it's a Solondz film so I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I wanted more dachschund antics and less depressed human beings. In that sense it felt like false advertising.

Last edited:

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Although it actually can out last year, I saw The Force Awakens in January. As far as movies that came out this year, though, the only one I saw in the theaters was Finding Dory.

Frank Coufal

Movies I saw in theaters:

Kung Fu Panda 3
Hail, Caesar!
Zoolander 2 (UGH!!!)
Eddie the Eagle (LOVED IT)
Zootopia (Loved it)
The Jungle Book (2016)
Finding Dory
The BFG
Pete's Dragon (2016) (Surprisingly Good. A rare remake that improves on the original)
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Captain America: Civil War
Now You See Me 2
The Secret Life of Pets
Ice Age: Collision Course (Double UGH)
Bridget Jones's Baby (Good)
Storks
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Keeping Up with the Joneses
Doctor Strange
Arrival (GOOD)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Fantastically good)
Allied
Moana (Loved it)

Planning to See:
Star Wars: Rogue One
Sing
Passengers

Action!

Movies That I have seen this year:
Kung Fu Panda 3
Zootopia
Finding Dory
The Secret Life of Pets
Doctor Strange
Trolls
Moana
Rogue One (twice)

jaylop97

Staff member
As a dare I watched Norm of the North and of course my results with that movie were obviously negative.

As well as Alice through the glass and it was just as boring as the first one.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The films I saw in the cinemas and some of them came out last year in the US but came out this year in the UK, which is where I live in:
*Daddy's Home
*Joy
*The Revenant
*Creed
*Spotlight
*Ride Along 2
*Goosebumps (twice)
*The Big Short
*Deadpool
*A Bigger Splash
*Zoolander 2
*Hail, Caesar!
*Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
*Zootropolis
*Eddie the Eagle
*10 Cloverfield Lane
*The Jungle Book 2016
*Miles Ahead
*Ratchet and Clank
*Captain America: Civil War
*The Angry Birds Movie
*Everybody Wants Some
*X-Men: Apocalypse
*Alice Through the Looking Glass
*Warcraft: The Beginning
*Money Monster
*The Secret Life of Pets
*Elvis and Nixon
*Central Intelligence
*Independence Day: Resurgence
*Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
*Now You See Me 2
*The Legend of Tarzan
*Keanu
*Star Trek Beyond
*The BFG
*Jason Bourne (twice)
*Finding Dory
*Suicide Squad
*Nerve
*Pete's Dragon 2016
*Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
*Bad Moms
*Sausage Party
*Kubo and the Two Strings
*Hell or High Water
*Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
*The Magnificent Seven 2016
*Storks
*Trolls
*Doctor Strange
*The Girl in the Train
*The Accountant
*Arrival
*Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
*Sully
*Moana
*Office Christmas Party
*Rogue One
*The Nightmare Before Christmas (re-release)
*The Eagle Huntress
*Monster Trucks

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Merry Christmas people! Let me try to think about what I've seen, and I'll add my personal grading to each film. Since there's a lot, I won't really write about each film, but I can elaborate if asked.

Deadpool- B+
Zootopia- A
The Jungle Book- B-
Captain America: Civil War- B+
X-Men: Apocalypse- C
The Neon Demon- C+
Doctor Strange- B-
The Birth of a Nation- C-
Moana- A-
Christine- A
Manchester by the Sea- A
Moonlight- A-
Silence- B

I've also seen Green Room (A-) and Finding Dory (C) at home. I have a copy of Hell or High Water waiting at my place for me, and I hope to see Jackie and/or La La Land this week.

Edit: Oh, and Kung-Fu Panda 3 (B+) and Kubo an the Two Strings (A).

Last edited:

ToonJay723

Staff member
  • Kung Fu Panda 3
  • Zootopia
  • Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Finding Dory
  • The Secret Life of Pets
  • Suicide Squad
  • Kubo and the Two Stings
  • Storks
  • Doctor Strange
  • Trolls
  • Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them
  • Moana
  • Rouge One: A Star Wars Story
Zootopia was my favorite followed by Rouge One. I liked Suicide Squad and Fantastic Beast fine, and still see their flaws. I didn't like Batman v Superman, and thought Pets was middle of the road. I enjoyed everything else.

Last edited:

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Ghostbusters
Captain America Civil War
Rogue One
and a second Force Awakens in January

I missed X-Men and Star Trek because I hadn't yet quit my job. They overworked us.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Let's see - trying to go in order:

Batman v Superman - Not quite as bad as may say, but did have a lot of obvious problems (too stuffed, Superman could have been handled way better, Lex was annoying, some awkward scenes). Batman was hype, though.

Captain America: Civil War - My favorite CBM this year. Knew how to juggle lots of characters, along with an engaging story and excellent action (that airport fight!)

X-Men: Apocalypse - IMO, the most disappointing CBM this year as a huge X-Men fan, with too many personal complaints to list here. But man, should have been the best X film.

Independence Day: Resurgence - Not sure why I saw this in theaters. Dreadful. Possibly worst blockbuster this year (I haven't seen TMNT 2 yet)

Star Trek Beyond - Really fun Trek film. Feels the most like the original series.

Jason Bourne - Pretty good, but easily the least memorable film in the series.

Suicide Squad - Really good first half; goes downhill fast after that.

Digimon Adventure Tri: Reunion - Huge nostalgia burst as a Digimon fan. Really enjoyed it!

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - Just fine. Some neat ideas, but not much that really helps it stand out among YA adaptions.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - It's no Mission Impossible.

Doctor Strange - Another really entertaining Marvel film, with amazing visuals, even if some plot beats feel overly familiar.

Rogue One - Better than I was expecting, gets darker and more intense than people think.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot Shin Godzilla, which was an interesting, more political take on the giant monster.

Last edited:

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
X-Men: Apocalypse - IMO, the most disappointing CBM this year as a huge X-Men fan, with too many personal complaints to list here. But man, should have been the best X film.

Agreed, there were some problems. Personally, I wish Gambit wasn't being held hostage because he would have made such a better horseman than one of the two duds that we got.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Agreed, there were some problems. Personally, I wish Gambit wasn't being held hostage because he would have made such a better horseman than one of the two duds that we got.

Well, see, if they didn't give him any lines or personality or reason for joining Apocalypse, I'm not sure it would have necessarily been an improvement. I mean, Psylocke is awesome in the comics, and I was upset when she had absolutely nothing to do and was given maybe five lines. I wouldn't want them to give Gambit that fate.

Gambit is fun because of his banter and charm; I feel like Singer would have removed that. :(

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Well, see, if they didn't give him any lines or personality or reason for joining Apocalypse, I'm not sure it would have necessarily been an improvement. I mean, Psylocke is awesome in the comics, and I was upset when she had absolutely nothing to do and was given maybe five lines. I wouldn't want them to give Gambit that fate.

Gambit is fun because of his banter and charm; I feel like Singer would have removed that. :(
The reason why Gambit didn't appear in X-Men: Apocalypse is because he's appearing next in his own solo film, which has had its production postponed several times.

Greg91

Reporter
I was very happy with the movies I saw this year overall. Usually, I just focus on superhero movies but I've been wanting to expand my horizons and try watching other films in theatres. I saw a lot of the highest grossing movies this year.
  • Deadpool
  • Zootopia
  • 10 Cloverfield Land
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • The Jungle Book
  • Captain America Civil War
  • X-Men Apocalypse
  • Finding Dory
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Suicide Squad
  • Queen of Katwe
  • Doctor Strange
  • Moana
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Queen of Katwe was very inspiration and highly recommended if you haven't seen it. One of my happiest moments in the theatre this year. Deadpool and Captain America were fantastic, I really enjoyed The Jungle Book, Moana and Rogue One. Disney seriously knocked it out of the park this year.

Really, the movie I enjoyed the least was Suicide Squad. Other than that and maybe Batman v Superman, I found all the other movies I saw this year to be somewhat enjoyable if not wonderful. I missed Moonlight, which I heard was splendid, so I definitely want to catch up on some great movies I didn't see in theatres this year.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
The reason why Gambit didn't appear in X-Men: Apocalypse is because he's appearing next in his own solo film, which has had its production postponed several times.

I know, I was implying I'd rather have him slow build this way and appear in several films, than the solo film that we'll probably never get. Tatum might have worked back when Donner wanted him in The Last Stand, but now his only qualification is that he can do the accent. (I'm willing to continue this in the X-Men threads.)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I know, I was implying I'd rather have him slow build this way and appear in several films, than the solo film that we'll probably never get. Tatum might have worked back when Donner wanted him in The Last Stand, but now his only qualification is that he can do the accent. (I'm willing to continue this in the X-Men threads.)
I do hope it gets made but only will tell if it happens or not.

DHB8008

• Dad's Army
  • Zootopia
  • The Jungle Book
  • Finding Dory
  • The BFG
  • Asterix: The Mansions of the Gods (English dub)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  • Doctor Strange
  • Rogue One

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I saw:
  • Kung Fu Panda 3
  • Zootopia
  • Jungle Book
  • Finding Dory
  • Secret Life of Pets
  • Storks
  • Moana
  • Sing
Moana was my favorite. I loved the soundtrack. I think Storks was my least favorite but that's just because I don't remember a single darn thing about it. Sing was the most surprising because I honestly walked into the theater expecting garbage, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I saw (in no particular order):

Captain America: Civil War: It didn't win me over like it did others here at Toonzone. But it's a winner going off of the inclusion of Spider-man alone, and it sets up what comes next in the Main Marvel Universe.

Secret Life of Pets: Cute enough. I've since seen Zootopia on Netflix, and think it might've been the better one to catch in theaters. I've yet to see "Finding Dory" or "Moana", and so I can't gauge among the four major animated films which one was best. EDIT: Oh yeah, also saw "Angry Birds" recently on DVD. Glad I passed on catching that in theaters.

Ice Age: Collision Course: I couldn't believe it when I found they were doing yet another of these "Ice Age" movies. Turned out to be halfway decent, and a fun way to pass the time, but good grief, these character's time has passed. But I could say the same for "Finding Nemo", and yet they went ahead and made that sequel...

Star Wars: Rogue One:
As good a way as any to revisit 1977, but a little bit too "stand alone" for a Star Wars film. I did love the action sequences though.

X-Men: Apocalypse: Feels like I'm the one person in the whole galaxy that loved this film. Though I still think they could've improved upon it. I hear they're looking to reboot the franchise yet again, and I might not be opposed to that. But I enjoyed seeing "X-Men in the 80's".

The Conjuring 2: My wife and I love this series of films, so yeah: this is probably the best "in theater" viewing we had for the year.

Doctor Strange: My favorite "superhero" movie of the year. "Strange" makes for a good addition to the cinematic Marvel Universe.

Independence Day: Resurrection: Okay, so...it sucked, overall. But it sure was fun to go see on the 4th of July this year (20 years after I went and saw the release of the original). Fun for nostalgia purposes alone.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts