What Video Games did you play this week? (2024 Edition)

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
NWC for me. Just waitin' for Thursday.

In the meantime, I've been playing Metroid: Zero Mission on NSO. Great game, though as usual, I'm at a spot where I'm stuck so it looks like I'll be consulting the walkthroughs.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
NWC for me. Just waitin' for Thursday.

Yeah, I'm wanting to pick it up as well. But....may wait for Christmas.

In the meantime, I've been playing Metroid: Zero Mission on NSO. Great game, though as usual, I'm at a spot where I'm stuck so it looks like I'll be consulting the walkthroughs.

I got stuck as well! I'm in the "Kraid" section, and I can't seem to get to the boss. I put it down for a few days, figured I'd try again later. I hate resorting to walkthroughs, but yeah, I may have to.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I'm wanting to pick it up as well. But....may wait for Christmas.

I got stuck as well! I'm in the "Kraid" section, and I can't seem to get to the boss. I put it down for a few days, figured I'd try again later. I hate resorting to walkthroughs, but yeah, I may have to.
I got past the boss (which, despite its massive size is very easy) but now I'm in an area where I can't seem to escape a room. I'm sure there's a simple solution that I'm just not seeing and when I look it up I'll either go "Oh DUH" or "Like I was supposed to know THAT". Gotta love Metroid.

khuddle

Just finished Hogwarts Legacy. Wonderful game, 9 out of 10 for me:

+ Combat is some of the best I've played on the Playstation. So many possible
spell and curse combos available. Plus the game allows you to exploit your
environment in combat as well. Exhilirating stuff.
+ Open world is fun to explore and the side quests there feel carefully crafted,
not generic "grind" quests. The quality is so good it feels like DLC

- long load-times
- navigating Hogwarts Castle map can be confusing
- you become severely OP by endgame. I acrually like that, but some people might find
it boring

Overall, one of the best fantasy games I've played on the Playstation. Better than Witcher 3, IMO

Last edited:

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I'm (re)playing Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage from the Reignited Trilogy on the PS5, and it's still a great game. The most notable change from the first game would be Spyro being able to swim and go underwater. There are also actual boss battles, and I definitely prefer a showdown to the chase gameplay from the first game.

The aesthetics of the game still looks appealing, and the chill atmosphere and catchy music help with the enjoyment of exploring areas to find gems. Too bad I'm still pretty bad with flight levels, though I don't think I've ever been good with flight in any game due to the movement always feeling confusing to me.

I'm still hoping for a new Spyro game to be made at some point. It's hard to believe this remake released over 5 years ago and was his last major appearance. He was playable in Crash Team Rumble, but that kind of game isn't for me. You'd think playing as a dragon would be more appealing to people.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I renewed my Playstation Plus subscription (though it's the base "Essential" package, not the fancy "Premium" top tier package). I like the free games you get it month, and it give me the option to access multiplayer in some games.

I've started up a new save file (starting over) in "No Man's Sky". The trailer for the update last week really impressed me.

It's best to think of the game as a "sandbox in space" (Minecraft exploration) style game, as the main quest isn't super compelling. But finding new planets and stuff to do on different planets can be fun.

I'm (re)playing Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage from the Reignited Trilogy on the PS5, and it's still a great game. The most notable change from the first game would be Spyro being able to swim and go underwater. There are also actual boss battles, and I definitely prefer a showdown to the chase gameplay from the first game.

The aesthetics of the game still looks appealing, and the chill atmosphere and catchy music help with the enjoyment of exploring areas to find gems. Too bad I'm still pretty bad with flight levels, though I don't think I've ever been good with flight in any game due to the movement always feeling confusing to me.

I'm still hoping for a new Spyro game to be made at some point. It's hard to believe this remake released over 5 years ago and was his last major appearance. He was playable in Crash Team Rumble, but that kind of game isn't for me. You'd think playing as a dragon would be more appealing to people.

It's my understanding that there is a new Spyro game about to be revealed (right now, it's in "rumored" stage, but I'm hoping it's revealed soon!)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What video games did you play this week?
7/22/24:

New Releases this week:

earthdefenseforce6.jpg

Earth Defense Force 6
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, and PC)

onepieceodyssey.jpg

One Piece Odyssey
(released on PS/Xbox/PC earlier this year, now coming to Nintendo Switch)

So what have you played this week?!?

the_joker

Can't think of a title
It's my understanding that there is a new Spyro game about to be revealed (right now, it's in "rumored" stage, but I'm hoping it's revealed soon!)
Is there? Even the subreddit doesn't have much, but I tend to be iffy about info from reddit especially in regards to rumors which I also don't give a lot of weight to due to their natures. Apparently, it mentioned a Crash game that never got off the ground.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
A pic of the Dragon Quest VIII party from Android that I submitted to the wiki:
60eb491d.jpg

Anyone else contribute files and/or info to wikis and such for your favorite series or installments?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
7/29/24:

New Releases this week:

swbountyhunter.jpg

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch and PC)

So what have you played this week?!?

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
With the Xbox 360's marketplace now officially shut down a few hours ago, I got a couple of games across the weekend before it's closure:

Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon (16:9 only, was on sale for $4.99)
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth (4:3, backwards compatible on Series X)
Blood Drive (4:3, was on sale for $14.99)
Devil May Cry HD Collection (DMC1 is 16:9 only, 2 and 3 support 4:3, got because it was $1.99 and the PC version is even wonkier)
GUN (16:9 only, but has the highest graphics out of all its ports [but lacks the additions from GUN Showdown on PSP], was on sale for $9.99)
Meet the Robinsons (4:3, has the highest graphics, backwards compatible on Series X)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (4:3, has the highest graphics next to the PS3 release [not sure if that's BC since the PS2 port is on the 4/5] backwards compatible on Series X)
MX vs. ATV Alive (16:9 only, backwards compatible on Series X)
Cars: Race-O-Rama (4:3)
Destiny: Legendary Edition (4:3, it was 10 dollars less than the Collector Edition since the latter has more content, but I think their names should be switched)
Cars 2: The Video Game (16:9 only, but may be another Pirates of the Carribbean: At World's End situation since I might've found a video of the PS3 version in 4:3)
SSX (4:3, backwards compatible on Series X)
Snipers (4:3, was on sale for $1.99)

Last edited:

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I wanted to try another FPS game, and I saw Dishonored on a list from a site I can't recall. So I've been playing it, and it's a first-person game, but it's hardly a shooter. Hell, the only usable gun in the game is a wheellock gun. But I haven't played a ton of first-person games, so whatever. It's definitely more of a stealth game, though direct approaches are definitely possible.

You play as a man named Corvo who was framed for killing the empress, and you have to eliminate the people responsible, but you're not limited to killing your targets. There was moment in the beginning of the game where you interacted with the empress's daughter Emily, and interaction suggested Corvo was her stepfather as she called him by his first name. Turns out he was just their bodyguard.

The game mentioned getting a "good" ending if you knock out other people instead of killing them, and I'm mixed about how the game approached this. There are many options for killing including a gun, crossbow, sword, grenades, razor traps, and explosive whale oil as well as powers that I haven't unlocked. Meanwhile, there are only 2 options for knock outs which are sleep darts and choking while in stealth. If the game wanted to encourage a nonlethal approach, there should've been an option for unarmed combat. When you get caught and engage in combat, you can only kill your opponents. At least sleep darts can be used in combat, but you only have a limited supply which is made a little more complicated since missing the shots is always a possibility. There is also an option to run away and then attempting sneak attacks (I've underestimated the Blink ability more than a few times as I could use that quickly to knock out or kill a person who just spotted me), but it's not exactly as fun or straightforward as dismembering and decapitating enemies. The loading screens suggest saving the game often probably because it's encouraging trial and error, but it didn't take long for nonlethal retries to become tedious for me especially when just trying to complete a mission. And all this isn't getting into the fact that a nonlethal approach will mean missing out on some creative kills, most of which didn't even cross my mind. I think the most I did in that regard was controlling a guard and making him walk into an electric barrier or throwing a bottle with a razor trap.

Another reason the "no killing" run doesn't exactly work is that there are also Weepers, which refer to people who have been infected and mutilated by an incurable disease and are, for all intents and purposes, zombies who attack you on sight. You can choke them into unconsciousness, but killing them would be more merciful.

I'm pretty close to the end of the game, and I've definitely killed too many people for the "good" ending and also definitely not as creatively as I should have as I wanted to knock out people as often as I could. Whenever I got caught, I have sometimes run away and tried knockouts again, but I'd usually just say, "Screw it," and killed anyone who could deplete my health bar. I think the game should've just dropped the different endings completely or at least made them happen depending on how you handled the targets instead. The latter would mean massacring people of varying innocence while potentially leaving the targets alive, but it's not like the "nonlethal" options were exactly "good". For example, there was one mission where I had to find a woman in a party whose identity was unknown and who also wasn't exactly nice, and you could either kill her (as well as everyone else if you wanna be a jackass) or knock her out and give her to a mysterious man. I mean, how do you feel about handing over an unconscious woman to a mysterious man?

Something else I feel like sharing was another mission where I had to deal with the Lord Regent somehow. There was direct approach or the nonlethal approach where you played a voice clip of him confessing to introducing the plague in hopes of killing off the poor (why would he have recorded something like this?). The latter would get him arrested and later executed, and I got a trophy for that. However, I also previously hacked a security system which I actually forgot about doing and which the Lord Regent later happened to bump into and then get vaporized, and this resulted in another trophy for killing him. I was confused by that first, and I got a pretty good laugh about this after I reloaded a previous save to take a look at this, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, the game is pretty interesting especially in regards to the various approaches with killing, but the game also feels pretty confused about what it wanted to be. I can understand putting in some work for a "better reward", but attempting that felt like such a hassle.

khuddle

I wanted to try another FPS game, and I saw Dishonored on a list from a site I can't recall. So I've been playing it, and it's a first-person game, but it's hardly a shooter. Hell, the only usable gun in the game is a wheellock gun. But I haven't played a ton of first-person games, so whatever. It's definitely more of a stealth game, though direct approaches are definitely possible.

You play as a man named Corvo who was framed for killing the empress, and you have to eliminate the people responsible, but you're not limited to killing your targets. There was moment in the beginning of the game where you interacted with the empress's daughter Emily, and interaction suggested Corvo was her stepfather as she called him by his first name. Turns out he was just their bodyguard.

The game mentioned getting a "good" ending if you knock out other people instead of killing them, and I'm mixed about how the game approached this. There are many options for killing including a gun, crossbow, sword, grenades, razor traps, and explosive whale oil as well as powers that I haven't unlocked. Meanwhile, there are only 2 options for knock outs which are sleep darts and choking while in stealth. If the game wanted to encourage a nonlethal approach, there should've been an option for unarmed combat. When you get caught and engage in combat, you can only kill your opponents. At least sleep darts can be used in combat, but you only have a limited supply which is made a little more complicated since missing the shots is always a possibility. There is also an option to run away and then attempting sneak attacks (I've underestimated the Blink ability more than a few times as I could use that quickly to knock out or kill a person who just spotted me), but it's not exactly as fun or straightforward as dismembering and decapitating enemies. The loading screens suggest saving the game often probably because it's encouraging trial and error, but it didn't take long for nonlethal retries to become tedious for me especially when just trying to complete a mission. And all this isn't getting into the fact that a nonlethal approach will mean missing out on some creative kills, most of which didn't even cross my mind. I think the most I did in that regard was controlling a guard and making him walk into an electric barrier or throwing a bottle with a razor trap.

Another reason the "no killing" run doesn't exactly work is that there are also Weepers, which refer to people who have been infected and mutilated by an incurable disease and are, for all intents and purposes, zombies who attack you on sight. You can choke them into unconsciousness, but killing them would be more merciful.

I'm pretty close to the end of the game, and I've definitely killed too many people for the "good" ending and also definitely not as creatively as I should have as I wanted to knock out people as often as I could. Whenever I got caught, I have sometimes run away and tried knockouts again, but I'd usually just say, "Screw it," and killed anyone who could deplete my health bar. I think the game should've just dropped the different endings completely or at least made them happen depending on how you handled the targets instead. The latter would mean massacring people of varying innocence while potentially leaving the targets alive, but it's not like the "nonlethal" options were exactly "good". For example, there was one mission where I had to find a woman in a party whose identity was unknown and who also wasn't exactly nice, and you could either kill her (as well as everyone else if you wanna be a jackass) or knock her out and give her to a mysterious man. I mean, how do you feel about handing over an unconscious woman to a mysterious man?

Something else I feel like sharing was another mission where I had to deal with the Lord Regent somehow. There was direct approach or the nonlethal approach where you played a voice clip of him confessing to introducing the plague in hopes of killing off the poor (why would he have recorded something like this?). The latter would get him arrested and later executed, and I got a trophy for that. However, I also previously hacked a security system which I actually forgot about doing and which the Lord Regent later happened to bump into and then get vaporized, and this resulted in another trophy for killing him. I was confused by that first, and I got a pretty good laugh about this after I reloaded a previous save to take a look at this, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, the game is pretty interesting especially in regards to the various approaches with killing, but the game also feels pretty confused about what it wanted to be. I can understand putting in some work for a "better reward", but attempting that felt like such a hassle.

I had similar feelings. I enjoyed aspects of the game but enemy AI really got on my nerves -- really erratic behaviour.

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I had similar feelings. I enjoyed aspects of the game but enemy AI really got on my nerves -- really erratic behaviour.
I don't think I found encountered problems with the enemy AI that often. However, it did get annoying at the end where a dead/unconscious guard being found or myself getting caught meant having a bunch of guards suddenly know my location, and then I'd be forced to kill them all.

Have you played any of the sequels?

And a number of lines from the end of the games suggested that Emily was in fact Corvo's daughter, albeit an illegitimate one.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Oh wow.....it just occurred to me that I got most of my pics for "new releases for video games" from Game Informer magazine's website. And with the demise of their website....almost all of the pics in this thread are now gone.

That SUCKS.

Anyone know a good website for getting info on the latest weekly video gam releases?

Mandouga

I’ve been playing this indie game called “Agent Intercept”, a Spy Hunter-like driving game. You play an unnamed agent who works for an unnamed agency who is trying to stop the plans of the evil KLAW organization. The Agent drives a car called the “Sceptre” (think about that name for a moment) which has all kinds of gadgets such as machine guns, missiles (which were both in Spy Hunter), a laser, mines, I believe a force field.

It has a campaign (story) mode, a score attack (arcade) mode, side missions, and data cards, which you get by completing five objectives in the various missions and three modes in the score attack stages. As for the gameplay itself, the car drives automatically, but you can boost, which also lets you drift around corners.

I like the story, but I do wish the time attack modes didn’t have the cars you have to avoid. Target practice? If there’s a trick to getting all 10,000s, I don’t know what it is. In any case, I don’t think it’s a bad game. It only costs $20, but there does seem to be a lot to do. I personally recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
(8/5/2024 - 8/11/2024)

August 6: CYGNI: All Guns Blazing (PC, Xbox Series X), Pepper Grinder (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X)
August 7: Creatures of Ava (PC, Xbox Series X)
August 8: Cat Quest III (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5), Deathbound (PC, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5), SteamWorld Heist II (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5), That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ISEKAI Chronicles (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5), Train Valley World (PC)
August 9: The Crush House (PC)

Sourced from Metacritic

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts