What video games did you play this week?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I wasn't aware that Assassin's Creed: Mirage and Detective Pikachu Returns would be coming out already, especially the latter which I somehow thought was releasing next year. I would like to play both games at some point, although in the case of AC, I feel like trying the older games first.

Yeah, I was kind of struck with the idea of playing the Assassin's Creed games in order (even though there's been like 15 of them by now). I started playing "Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection" last year (I believe it's a collection of "Assassin's Creed 2, AC: Brotherhood, and AC: Revelations").

I've not finished AC 2 yet, but I enjoyed what I've played of it. The controls are a little clunky, but I don't mind the graphics being dated (they looked very good for 2009). Kinda wondering if the new one (AC Mirage) would be a good entry point instead.

the_joker

Can't think of a title
Yeah, I was kind of struck with the idea of playing the Assassin's Creed games in order (even though there's been like 15 of them by now). I started playing "Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection" last year (I believe it's a collection of "Assassin's Creed 2, AC: Brotherhood, and AC: Revelations").

I've not finished AC 2 yet, but I enjoyed what I've played of it. The controls are a little clunky, but I don't mind the graphics being dated (they looked very good for 2009). Kinda wondering if the new one (AC Mirage) would be a good entry point instead.
I've played ACIII, Black Flag, and Liberation, and I liked the first 2 a lot (especially Black Flag, though I'll also say not everything about the 2 games worked) while Liberation was okay. I intend to play the Ezio games at some point, but I also don't plan on marathoning all of the games. So, if I play them in order, it will be a long time before I get to Mirage (assuming I'm still interested), which is fine by me as I almost never buy a new game right when it releases. Apparently, the games were released yearly for a while, which may or may not be a good thing.

The games each stand well enough on their own for the most part, so Mirage might be a good starting point. However, I imagine the controls feeling different compared to ACII.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/09/23:

New Releases this week:

1696860495811.png

Forza Motorsport
(coming to Xbox Series X and S, PC)

1696860507358.png

Lords of the Fallen
(coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and S, PC)

So what have you played this week?!?

Gatomon41

Digipunk
I just got done with Super Neptunia RPG (Switch), which was a lot of fun.

Thus concludes my year of Neptunia in which I was playing Neptunia VII (V Two) and this. Now I can finally start playing an RPG I wanted to get working on: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 featuring a Welsh catgirl and Super Smash bro’s Pyra and Mythra.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/16/23:

New Releases this week:

1697469799804.png

Sonic Superstars
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

1697469790073.png

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
(coming to Nintendo Switch)

1697469810249.png

Spider-Man 2
(coming to Playstation 5)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This....has got to be the busiest, craziest week (and month) of the year.

New 2D Sonic, new 2D Mario, and the sequel to the greatest Spider-Man video game ever!!

the_joker

Can't think of a title
This....has got to be the busiest, craziest week (and month) of the year.

New 2D Sonic, new 2D Mario, and the sequel to the greatest Spider-Man video game ever!!
I don't know if I'll play Sonic (and I've never played a Sonic game), but the other 2 games do intrigue me. Too bad I won't play them anytime soon.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Playing the new Mario and Sonics, obviously. Of the two, Super Mario Wonder is more enjoyable. Sonic Superstars plays fine and looks great but it just feels uninspired and more of the same, despite some new gameplay gimmicks. Plus I feel like the shorter levels in Wonder are more conducive to make me want to keep going- the "just one more level" feeling, whereas Sonic's longer levels have the opposite effect.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/23/23:

New Releases this week:

1698095903314.png

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

1698095916070.png

Alan Wake 2
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, and PC)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've tried to get in to "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" over the last couple of weeks, but it's not really hooking me. I mean, I get the appeal. But I think I'll just stick with "Stardew Valley" for my "slice of life simulator".

Beyond that, I have resumed playing "Assassin's Creed 2" (part of the "Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection"). There's apparently a bit of "slice of town life simulator" in this game as well, as I'm apparently needed to help rebuild a town (I'm in the section after you meet "Uncle Mario"):

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I dusted off my 3DS this year due to the eshop closing down. Too bad I wasn't diligent enough to keep track of its closure as I only just remembered it too late, so 3DS games will have to be physical for me. I bought and played a few games on it this year, and I've been playing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on the side. Funnily enough, its port to the Switch was announced after I bought the 3DS version, but now I'm wondering why the original isn't bundled with Dark Moon when the remake of the original is also playable on the 3DS. As for the game itself, it's fine enough. I wonder if I got too used to playing on a big screen with a controller as moving around with the circle pad on the 3DS feels too awkward compared to using an analog stick on a controller. And I'm not terribly fond of some of the game's control scheme as well as playing on such a small screen. Then again, I almost never play with my Switch in handheld mode. Sometimes, I can't easily notice some of Luigi's movements onscreen, so I wonder if I'm already getting too old. I've been playing Dark Moon in short bursts, and that feels like the right approach to playing it.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
. Sometimes, I can't easily notice some of Luigi's movements onscreen, so I wonder if I'm already getting too old. I've been playing Dark Moon in short bursts, and that feels like the right approach to playing it.

"Too old" I guess would be what happened to me. I have a 2DS with a handful of games, but I can't play any handheld besides a Switch now, the screens are all too small.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Just started on the Metal Gear Solid collection. It's easy to take for granted nowadays but in retrospect the voice acting in the first MGS game was a huge leap above what was typical in video games at the time. I mean just look at Resident Evil from only a couple years prior!

Last edited:

Moe

Switch - Sonic Superstars, River City: Rival Showdown and Super Mario Bros Wonder.

PC - Dead Island 2, Saints Row (2022) and The Outer Worlds.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/30/23:

New Releases this week:

1698702919849.png

RoboCop: Rogue City
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

1698702930219.png

Star Ocean: The Second Story R
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

khuddle

I'm playing God of War: Ragnarok on my PS4 this weekend.

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like the GOW Reboot in 2018: 1) The visuals were beautiful in some places but downright ugly in others 2) I hated that they forced you to switch weapons mid-game.

But I've heard good things about Ragnarok -- the visuals are supposed to be very impressive -- so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Bought Visco Collection. TBH, I'm kinda disappointed. There's a soccer game which I'm not into (Goal! Goal! Goal!), a generic space shooter (Andro Dunos), TWO games based on Pong with very similar gameplay styles (Bang Bead and Flip Shot), and a more cartoony shooter whose gameplay is still pretty monotonous (Captain Tomaday). The only stand-out in the collection is Neo Drift Out, a rally-style racer, but the slippery controls can be rather tricky to master.

Love that game. It's got a surreal sense of humor, a demented soundtrack and is the only Looney Tunes game to star Porky Pig, that most underrated of Looney Tunes characters. Plus it has that neat Easter egg of the seasons changing at random when you turn on the game!

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've been playing a lot of "Road 96" on the Nintendo Switch. It was featured in a Nintendo "Indie Direct" a couple years ago and it stuck with me. The developers said they were influenced by "90's road trip movies", and yeah, the best way to describe it is a "Procedurally Generated Road Trip".

Kind of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game (but different than the "TellTale" series of games). You play as a runaway teenager in a nation that's starting to tear itself apart (no "real life" commentary there, right?) You can hitchhike, steal cars, walk, take a bus, sleep in hotels, sleep outside. Multiple playthroughs allow different interactions with the cast of characters, revealing more and more of the overall story. It's just a great game, if you're into this type of thing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts