What would you say is the most overrated animated TV show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I really liked Genndy Tartaovsky's Star Wars Clone Wars micro-series , but I'm not one of those fans who consider it the be-all-to-end-all of SW animation, or bemoan the fact that Lucasfilm has seemingly passed it over in favor of the current Clone Wars series (Which I like, BTW).

It seems like these fans lack perspective, in the fact that Lucasfilm made the original Clone Wars series as a way to keep interest in SW going between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and in that regards, it succeeded.

(Don't get me started on SW fans who complain about the current Clone Wars series seemingly wiping out the continuity of the SW Expanded Universe, or we'll be here all day.)

Barbossa

This is easy X men tas ,Spiderman Tas Gi Joe 80s Tranformers 80s show.If only nostalgic fanboys can see how bad these shows are today

Gilgamesh

Well the whole premier is Jack saying he's going to find and defeat Aku. I kinda held them to that, I guess. :sweat:

I'm just wondering why you dislike the show for being episodic. I mean, I'd disagree, but I can understand if you just don't like episodic storytelling. But saying the show had "nonexistent plot" is objectively wrong; the series DID have a plot. Several plots. An episode told its own story. It just happened to be a genre anthology through the prism of a wandering ronin...quite frankly, Samurai Jack by the standards you express would've been an enjoyable show, but not nearly as fun to watch or as interesting as what we got.

There's saying you dislike how something is structured, and then there's saying something is objectively what it isn't.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
I'm just wondering why you dislike the show for being episodic. I mean, I'd disagree, but I can understand if you just don't like episodic storytelling. But saying the show had "nonexistent plot" is objectively wrong; the series DID have a plot. Several plots. An episode told its own story. It just happened to be a genre anthology through the prism of a wandering ronin...quite frankly, Samurai Jack by the standards you express would've been an enjoyable show, but not nearly as fun to watch or as interesting as what we got.
I suppose it does have a 'plot' in the literal sense that every episode is about something; but I mean a series-wide plot. Preferably with a tangible end goal that will be reached. Those are extremely rare; and it's just disappointing when you see a show go the episodic route when it could be so much more. Genndy's new show, Sym Bionic Titan, does the same thing. They set up a story in the premier about an alien war, then drop it and do a bunch of episodic 'problem at school' stories unrelated to everything else and the story becomes a minor background issue they address once every 20 episodes or so. I had to drop that show after 7 episodes of that stuff.

Gilgamesh

I suppose it does have a 'plot' in the literal sense that every episode is about something; but I mean a series-wide plot. Preferably with a tangible end goal that will be reached. Those are extremely rare; and it's just disappointing when you see a show go the episodic route when it could be so much more. Genndy's new show, Sym Bionic Titan, does the same thing. They set up a story in the premier about an alien war, then drop it and do a bunch of episodic 'problem at school' stories unrelated to everything else and the story becomes a minor background issue they address once every 20 episodes or so. I had to drop that show after 7 episodes of that stuff.

My entire issue with this logic is that you're implying serial storytelling is inherently superior to episodic storytelling. And that's false. One isn't better than the other, it just depends on what the particular story needs. And I don't buy that Jack needed to be serialized, because everything that made the show unique wouldn't have happened.

Serialization is not inherently superior.

Gokou Ruri

My entire issue with this logic is that you're implying serial storytelling is inherently superior to episodic storytelling. And that's false. One isn't better than the other, it just depends on what the particular story needs. And I don't buy that Jack needed to be serialized, because everything that made the show unique wouldn't have happened.

Serialization is not inherently superior.
Maybe I've just become so accustomed to shows with a storyline I take it as standard format these days. Especially action shows.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
I'm going with Family Guy on this one. I mean, I love Family Guy (at least 75% of the time), and I'm glad it got a chance to come back, but sometimes it feels like people compare this show with the second coming of Jesus.

Yes, the show's hilarious when it wants to be, but it's not the greatest thing since they found out they could combine peanut butter and chocolate, which still stands as man's greatest achievement.

Gokou Ruri

Episodic shows still have a storyline.
Now you're confusing me. You brought up the word 'episodic' when I was referring to it having no story, so I assumed you meant episodic as in 'no story' but now you're using its storytelling format definition.

Just to clear things up: I dislike the show having no developing story (as in, never developing beyond the first episode or making an effort to). The premier was more or less a set up just to give Jack excuses to randomly fight different things each episode until the show was canceled, which I'm not a fan of. I like development. That's what I mean when I say I disliked the show for having no plot. For comparison: Pokemon Best Wishes is episodic, but it also has a developing storyline. Samurai Jack is episodic, but it does not have a developing storyline.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Mod Note

@Gokou Ruri & Gilgamesh

One more off-topic post about serialized/episodic series and I close this thread and you guys get an infraction. This isn't the first time you've derailed threads. You've been warned.

Back to the actual discussion now.

ToonsJazzLover

The Old SpongeBob (season 1-3)- Although the old seasons were good, I don't understand the purpose of the pre-movie seasons being better than the current one. To be honest, most of the shows I've watched had never went downhill.
Avatar:The last Airbender- On nicktoons, this show is like SpongeBob on Nick cause it air a lot. I don't get why it was overrated for that. I didn't get used to it.
Old Simpsons and Family Guy-Same reason as SpongeBob. They are still good.
Invader Zim- Back then, I didn't get used to this due to everyone liking this show. However, it is actually alright.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
First, let me echo Kiddington's initial statement that I generally don't like the internet's usage of the term "overrated". Too many people on the net define "overrated" as "I hate this show", which is false. Just because I'm not personally into a show that others are into doesn't make said show overrated; it just means that I can't get into said show for whatever reason.

So rather than call a given show overrated, I'll just mention a show which became huge that just isn't in my power.

That said, my pic goes to Phineas and Ferb. For various reasons, this show, while hugely successful (there are even felt costumed mascot versions of P&F frolicking around Disney World alongside Mickey and Goofy now), has never been able to pull me in as a fan. I think P&F is the classic example of the idea behind the show being better than the show itself.

I love the premise (2 kids create wacky contraptions and unleash mind-boggling schemes to relive boredom while on summer vacation), but for me at least, P&F loses something in the execution: I've tried, but I just can't get into the show or any of the characters. The fact that every episode now has to contain a musical number doesn't make me any more enamored of P&F. I'm not saying it's a bad show or that it doesn't deserve the accolades it's getting, but it's just not for me.

Another wildly successful show which completely failed to send me is Adventure Time. From the day AT first went viral, I always felt like the only person on Earth not having a fangasm about this show. Like Phineas and Ferb, I tried giving Adventure Time a fair shake, but after a season and a third of it, I just gave up on it ever getting better for me. If AT worked as hard to be 'hilarious' funny as opposed to 'WTF?!' funny, then I could probably understand why it's the darling of the Cartoon Network schedule. I admit that I kind of like the character of Jake the dog and some aspects of the Land of Ooo (though it's so random and undisciplined that it's near impossible to use it for any amusing or even interesting stories), but the rest of the show does nothing for me. Again, I don't hate Adventure Time, but it didn't give me any reason to keep watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Hill

Another wildly successful show which completely failed to send me is Adventure Time. From the day AT first went viral, I always felt like the only person on Earth not having a fangasm about this show.

Why do you feel like that? I've NEVER been into any of CN's "trippy" shows (Chowder, Flapjack, Adventure Time, Regular Show). I'm an imaginative guy. I can buy the idea of talking, anthropomorphic animals without a moment's hesitation. But there comes a point where it just gets too damn weird for me and those shows crossed that line.

BlackoutCreature

I'm gonna go with Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. A lot of fans seem to make it out to be this amazing, genre-defining feat of animation genius that it just wasn't. I don't think the quality of its writing ever reached the level that its predecessors (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, or Batman Beyond) did, and it was no where near as influential to the superhero cartoon genre as Batman: TAS was. In fact it was painfully obvious at times that the writers were having a very difficult time grasping how to write the team dynamics both in dialogue and in action, and the writers and voice actors were having a difficult time early on figuring out how these characters should "sound".

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show, and a lot of these problems were worked out over time to give us a very entertaining series. But over-all it was in the end just an above-average superhero cartoon that was a fun way to spend a half hour to an hour a night, not the epic cartoon that should define the way all other superhero cartoons should be made like the way a lot of its fans try to make it out to be.

Zach

Family Guy is a really obvious pick here. It's essentially just a bunch of juvenile jokes and pop culture references strung together over the course of about 22 minutes. Say what you want about South Park, but it's critique of Family Guy is spot-on. And it's a show that at least makes clever use of pop culture jokes and actually has a plot.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
Family Guy is a really obvious pick here. It's essentially just a bunch of juvenile jokes and pop culture references strung together over the course of about 22 minutes. Say what you want about South Park, but it's critique of Family Guy is spot-on. And it's a show that at least makes clever use of pop culture jokes and actually has a plot.

Family Guy has plots. Peter joins AA and finds out what his life would be like with and without alcohol. Peter needs new kidneys and Brian agrees to be a donor. Stewie is snubbed by a mall Santa and travels to the North Pole in order to kill him. Brain decides to become a republican after reading Rush Limbaugh's new book. These are all plots. It doesn't matter how many pop culture jokes and cutaways the show has. Every episodes has a plot.

cognitofalcon

G'night evry' body!!
DarthGonzo said:
Family Guy has plots. Peter joins AA and finds out what his life would be like with and without alcohol. Peter needs new kidneys and Brian agrees to be a donor. Stewie is snubbed by a mall Santa and travels to the North Pole in order to kill him. Brain decides to become a republican after reading Rush Limbaugh's new book. These are all plots. It doesn't matter how many pop culture jokes and cutaways the show has. Every episodes has a plot.

Yes, but does that mean they are strong plots? Not necessarily, while they are okay episodes, they just aren't gripping and have bad characters. Not weak characters, just ones that are not appealing. I will admit that I could feel more of a connection to the characters in "New Kidney in Town" especially Peter.

As for the topic at hand, Phineus and Ferb. While it is not a terrible show, I just do not find it as great as everyone thinks. The episodes are kind of repetitive, and I do not like the main characters all that much, but I do like Perry, and the vilain.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Yes, but does that mean they are strong plots? Not necessarily, while they are okay episodes, they just aren't gripping and have bad characters.
That's kind of irrelevant. What's being refuted is the accusation that the show has no plot at all. Which is false.

You want to talk about a show which has no plot, look at animated sketch comedies like Robot Chicken or Shorties Watching Shorties. Family Guy's emphasis may be on the gags, but to say it's without a premise each episode is incorrect.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
To be honest, I'll take Family Guy's simplistic plots over The Simpsons "meander for 15 minutes and try to wrap everything up in the 2 minute last act" plot structure they've been doing for the past few years now.

I really can't stay for sure what cartoons these days I think are overrated since I don't really watch much in the way of kids cartoons anymore. But I will say I'm not quite sure what makes TOUGH Puppy and Phineas and Ferb as popular as they are.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I don't think Family Guy is overrated. It has very clear plots and doesn't rely on the shock value that some other leading adult animation uses.

One show I think it overrated is the Simpsons. Older doesn't necessarily mean worse, but over the years the material has just degraded to the point that it isn't worth watching anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts