What would've happened to Cartoon Network if Fox had purchased Time Warner back in 2014?

cartoonnetworkpoke

I've been thinking about this during the past few days. Before AT&T had acquired the company. 21st Century FOX had offered to buy Time Warner back in 2014. The offer was sent around June 2014. A full MONTH before Christina Miller had become president of CN (she became president in July of that year). Had the merger gone through it is very likely that they would've either delayed the search for a new leader, hired her and then eventually let her go as soon as the merger was fully completed (similar to what happened to Tom Ascheim) or she gets the job however the new higher ups that are in charge advise her to do something different when it comes to controlling CN. I think one positive thing about this merger would've been the integration of many different animation studios. For example, Cartoon Network studios, WB Animation, Williams Street, and 20th Century Animation would all be integrated. This could lead to more output of shows for various different forms of media platforms. With this merger we would've had a big empire when it comes to adult animation. The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, Rick and Morty, just to name a few. It's very likely that adult swim could've launched its own channel due to the fact they have more content to showcase. From my understanding FXX is a competitor of adult swim at the moment and they showcase a lot of animation on their channel. This scenario adult swim shows would probably be aired on it as well. This is where things get exciting. There's a chance that CN could return to being 24/7 again. This would because FXX and adult swim attract similar audiences, they air the same shows, and produce similar content. There would really be no reason in my eyes to have adult animation on CN at that point. That would also mean that Toonami would also move to FXX. Toonami could really take off because it would be on a channel where it has more time to air more anime throughout the week. I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami became daily instead of it being weekly. Imagine having new episodes of Attack on Titan at 10pm on a weekday. I would imagine ratings would be really good and lead to Toonami acquiring more anime as a result of that.

With CN being 24/7 there is a great opportunity for the network to showcase even more shows. We all know towards the end of 2014. CN started to air new episodes of shows at the 6am-7am time slot. This was mainly due to the fact that CN lost that primetime slot to adult swim. With CN being 24/7 there is a good chance that those shows could get better timeslots, which can then lead to better ratings, and certain shows continuing to air on the network. I don't think Beyblade, Ben 10 Omniverse, Sonic Boom, Pokémon XY, Tenkai Knights would all be shifted to 6am if the channel was 24/7. It is very likely that Pokémon and Beyblade would still stay on CN then. I know Disney XD puts their action oriented shows at good time slots so maybe we would see a similar type of model for CN. Another interesting note is, what would CN air during the late night and early morning time? CLASSIC SHOWS!! Your favorites like Codename Kids Next Door, Dexter's Laboratory, Juniper Lee, Powerpuff Girls, Pokémon Advanced just to name a few. Would all air during those time slots. Having experienced animators from shows like the Simpsons, Family guy, Bob Burgers could help CN when it comes to producing new content. A lot of these guys have experience in working in animation for a very long time and now having the opportunity to produce content for CN could open a whole new type of era for CN and animation as a whole. BlueSky Studios was owned by Fox at the time so I know for a fact that CN would have an Ice Age or Rio animated series in the works as well. My last point would be distribution and streaming. At the time Fox also owned a small percentage of Hulu and so every show they produced on TV would be uploaded there. We all know the issues HBO Max has when it comes to uploading classic CN shows. I feel like this process would be easier because there would already be an established service for shows to go on. Fox still puts a lot of focus on cable right now and so the channel could still be producing good content for viewers who still have cable(similar to what Nick and Disney are doing).

Now I know one elephant in the room is that Fox has contributed to a lot of controversy when it comes to politics. But seeing how AT&T has mismanaged WB and the aftermath with Discovery maybe it would've been better for FOX to own them. Maybe the likelihood of CN struggling within the past few years could have been avoided as well. Please let me know what you guys think. These are just some ideas that came to my head for the past few days.

BlooMac

I could see Fox Corporation acquiring Warner Bros. with or without Discovery (hopefully the former), seeing how they no longer have a massive film/TV studio. They want to continue producing content without 20th Century Studios, so getting WB at a cheaper price is the perfect opportunity for them.

harry580

I could see Fox Corporation acquiring Warner Bros. with or without Discovery (hopefully the former), seeing how they no longer have a massive film/TV studio. They want to continue producing content without 20th Century Studios, so getting WB at a cheaper price is the perfect opportunity for them.
but what about the controversial Fox News channel?, are they gonna spin it off by giving it back to news corp & rebrand it as talk tv usa just like its British channel, while Warner bros fox launched a less controversial version of Fox News in its place while cnn is sold to discovery?

Moe

but what about the controversial Fox News channel?, are they gonna spin it off by giving it back to news corp & rebrand it as talk tv usa just like its British channel, while Warner bros fox launched a less controversial version of Fox News in its place while cnn is sold to discovery?
Nobody is going to mess with Fox News and it is left as intact like all other heavily politicized news channels. Fox News has own unique rules, apart from Fox Corporation.

If Fox Corporation own WB, so it would be separated with division like they did with 20th Century, so Fox News doesn't cross into 20th Century, so it would be same treatment for WB studios and their channels.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Yeah I can see this happening. Even without them getting into streaming as much they are making a lot of money. I don't really want Universal as they could create a lot of anti trust issues.

cartoonnetworkpoke

It's very likely if Fox were to acquire WB. CNN, CNN Espanol, and HLN would have to be sold off. I would not be surprised if Discovery were to keep it.

harry580

if fox did bought out time Warner, would the disney buyout still happen or didn't happen?

Moe

Nope I don't think it happens. I think Comcast buys Disney then. I know Comcast has been interested in buying Disney for the longest time.
Comcast can't afford to buy Disney without spiraling the debt out of control and Disney doesn't want to be owned by other corporation, so that why Michael Eisner prevented the hostile takeover in 1980s.

It's very likely if Fox were to acquire WB. CNN, CNN Espanol, and HLN would have to be sold off. I would not be surprised if Discovery were to keep it.
Fox can sell Turner assets, including CNN, TNT, TBS, TruTV, CN, Boomerang and Turner Sports to other company.

The federal regulators have serious problem with corporations sell division that include sport assets to other corporation, so that why they require corporation to take sport asset out from proposal or sell to other company. Federal regulator forced Disney to sell RSN to Sinclair.

if fox did bought out time Warner, would the disney buyout still happen or didn't happen?
Fox could sell entire, or sell 20th Century to Company A (Disney) and sell WB to Company B.

After Fox decided to sell 20th Century, it is obvious that they aren't interest to keep the studios in long run.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Comcast can't afford to buy Disney without spiraling the debt out of control and Disney doesn't want to be owned by other corporation, so that why Michael Eisner prevented the hostile takeover in 1980s.

Fox can sell Turner assets, including CNN, TNT, TBS, TruTV, CN, Boomerang and Turner Sports to other company.

The federal regulators have serious problem with corporations sell division that include sport assets to other corporation, so that why they require corporation to take sport asset out from proposal or sell to other company. Federal regulator forced Disney to sell RSN to Sinclair.

Fox could sell entire, or sell 20th Century to Company A (Disney) and sell WB to Company B.

After Fox decided to sell 20th Century, it is obvious that they aren't interest to keep the studios in long run.
From what I heard Rupert Murdoch wanted all of the Turner Assets when they proposed the merger. So I would think CNN, HLN would be sold off then

Moe

From what I heard Rupert Murdoch wanted all of the Turner Assets when they proposed the merger. So I would think CNN, HLN would be sold off then
Also, TNT, TBS and TruTV too because they run the sports.

Fox has own sport assets and federal regulator isn't going to allow Fox to keep Turner's sport assets.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Also, TNT, TBS and TruTV too because they run the sports.

Fox has own sport assets and federal regulator isn't going to allow Fox to keep Turner's sport assets.
You think so? I would imagine fox would want to absorb turner sports. I'm a huge sports guy and seeing FOX get the rights to march madness, MLB, and NBA would be really cool. But like you said there's a chance that maybe the FCC would not allow it. I mean ESPN couldn't even absorb FOX sports. Very likely then Turner Sports gets a spinoff to another channel and FOX can keep those channels then. I'm assuming Turner Sports/Bleacher could go independent and air on another channel. Maybe Turner sports airs on Discovery lol.

Moe

You think so?
It is not from think but it is written rule to deal with acquisition, so horizontal acquisition (Fox and WB merger) face a lot of scrutiny since vertical merger like AT&T and WB has fewer rules and easier to proceed. Federal regulators are very strict with sports, broadcast stations, TV news and several others.

I would imagine fox would want to absorb turner sports. I'm a huge sports guy and seeing FOX get the rights to march madness, MLB, and NBA would be really cool. But like you said there's a chance that maybe the FCC would not allow it.
It isn't chance, federal regulators don't allow this and it harm the competition that lead to higher retransmission fees imposed on TV providers and pass on customers. You want one corporation to own everything, so that isn't going to happen.

Do you know about why Fox doesn't sell their sport asset and news asset to Disney? It is obvious.

Very likely then Turner Sports gets a spinoff to another channel and FOX can keep those channels then. I'm assuming Turner Sports/Bleacher could go independent and air on another channel.
No, the lifetime sport deal require TV channels to be included and you cannot detach it easily without break the contract. The acquisition is extremely complicated and massive headache to deal with it, so it is going to push the Fox to sell Turner asset but keep WB studio, or withdraw from acquisition. Most withdrawal from acquisition were horizontal.

NBA, MLB and March Madness are part of lifelong Turner legacy and I don't want to mess with it, also Turner invested a lot in the cable and bought H-B in 1991, and eventually WB, so it was smooth acquisition at that time, but problems started after bought by AOL. I don't believe that Fox is best interest to represent the WB, even neither is Disney, Paramount and other companies.

I don't want major studio to buy another major studio, so it led to messy operation.

Maybe Turner sports airs on Discovery lol.
Discovery wasn't interested in sport business but they didn't have much choice when AT&T had to sell WB to Discovery. It is likely Charter Spectrum would be interested to own Turner asset.

I'm gratefully that Fox-WB acquisition didn't happen and it could end up to be withdrawal instead of go thorough like Comcast did with Time Warner - those are horizontal.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts