When did the dogface die out? And was Goofy the only long-term survivor?

Cartoons90

So I know the concept of the “dogface” in animation was popular way back. Maybe from the 1920s to the 1940s? And I believe it spread all across, from MGM to Disney to Warner Bros., etc.
At what point did the dogface phase out? I’m thinking maybe by the ‘60s it was gone? Because it seems like by the time Hanna-Barbera had popular dog characters, like Huckleberry Hound and Scooby, they weren’t really “dogfaces” anymore, they were just talking dogs and so forth.
So was the dogface gone by the ‘50s/‘60s? And is it safe to say Goofy was the only one who survived beyond that period?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
From TV tropes:
There are a few Tex Avery MGM Cartoons, especially in the 1950s, that feature dogfaces.

Sometimes dogfaces do reappear. There is the French cartoon Fennec with some dogfaces.

As a young child, I didn't realize Goofy was a dog. I though Pluto was the only dog.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
As a young child, I didn't realize Goofy was a dog. I thought Pluto was the only dog.
What did you think he was? I’ve heard a lot of people say they thought he was a horse or a cow, which I do not understand because he looks nothing like either of those animals.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I've always known that Goofy was a dog. His original name was Dippy Dawg. I didn't realize until a few years ago that this was a point of contention. There was a joke on the internet of people thinking that Goofy was a moose or seal, even though he doesn't look like either. There was even a scene in the movie Stand By Me in which the boys ponder the question "What is Goofy?", and I was like "Guys, Goofy is a dog! His original name was Dippy Dawg!"

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Dogface characters are still standard in Disney Duck and Mouse material. Stuff like new DuckTales still use them.

They're just a substitute for humans and most shows have no problems using actual humans. Shows with antrho animals will use different animals.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Lets adress the elephant in the room: Some of the early Disney character desings are taken from racist minstrel shows and this includes the dogpeople. While the comics eventually made people look less like the awful stereotypes, the animation side just called it quits with the concept.
Exactly. I was too afraid to say it out loud here.

I was today years old when I "realized" that Peg Leg Pete was a cat. At least, that's what Wikipedia says. Sorry but he looks like a human to me. He doesn't even have whiskers.

EDIT: I was also today years old when I figured out that the Beagle Boys (Dutch "De zware jongens" = The tough boys) were beagles.

Does this mean there are NO humans in the Disney cartoons???

EDIT2: Is Kim Possible a dog?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts