Who will buy Paramount?

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
It would be smart to sell off some assets, like Showtime, they probably won't get the same offer from Nevins from before, but give it to someone who at least wants it and might do something with it , versus now where they pretty much devalued it and damaged it.

Also I know Discovery was thinking about CBS, I'm hoping not, just because we, the society ,don't need the doom or CNN and CBS News being crunched together, that'd be bad. I kind of wish a real good owner would buy CBS and CBS owned stations, but we live in bad timeline so....

Moe

It would be smart to sell off some assets, like Showtime, they probably won't get the same offer from Nevins from before, but give it to someone who at least wants it and might do something with it , versus now where they pretty much devalued it and damaged it.

Also I know Discovery was thinking about CBS, I'm hoping not, just because we, the society ,don't need the doom or CNN and CBS News being crunched together, that'd be bad. I kind of wish a real good owner would buy CBS and CBS owned stations, but we live in bad timeline so....
I'm wonder if CBS would better off if it was separate company again?

lowell

They could sell non-content assets first, though.

There's basically a lot of them still there, to be honest.

I'm wonder if CBS would better off if it was separate company again?

I mean, the Redstones set their sight on the reunification in the first place because they were the owner of the whole thing anyways.

If they ever decide to part with the company down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold for the highest price possible since they, the board, and the non-Redstone shareholders would stand to benefit from it.

Moe

I mean, the Redstones set their sight on the reunification in the first place because they were the owner of the whole thing anyways.
Yes, they did and I thought that merger would benefit CBS/Showtime and Viacom, but it made financial situation worse for merged corporation.

If they ever decide to part with the company down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold for the highest price possible since they, the board, and the non-Redstone shareholders would stand to benefit from it.
I wouldn't surprised either.

My head hurts about whichever Showtime should be sold, so premium channels are no longer useful in streaming era and they are basically another streaming service with premium channels included.

I guess yes, maybe this opens the doors for sony to get cbs
Perhaps, CBS is well known to viewers watch on OTA and if it wasn't part of Viacom or Paramount, CBS wouldn't see a pain cut, after I saw Linus mentioned that CBS got cut that hurt their network.

If Sony own CBS, they can bring game shows and archival shows to CBS affiliates.

if showtime gets sold, would it be like a split like lionsgate & starz or showtime gets sold to a buyer like sony or comcast or maybe charter
Charter is not in good financial situation and has a lot of debt, so they hiked the price for 2nd time in less than one year and they are closing the retention department, also some people said that they are closing the billing department that seems not make sense to me because how Charter could collect money without billing department.

lowell

I was thinking of Showtime and BET+ VH1 because they seem to have buyers were recently interested in them.
Sure but they can definitely try to exhaust those non-content assets as well before coming after content directly.

A lot of them are still there and might not be that relevant to the company going forward as opposed to content-related ones at the end of the day.

if showtime gets sold, would it be like a split like lionsgate & starz or showtime gets sold to a buyer like sony or comcast or maybe charter
The way I see it, it's still an equivalent to HBO, FX, etc. It's still compelling enough as being part of the whole package than the non-content assets.

Yes, they did and I thought that merger would benefit CBS/Showtime and Viacom, but it made financial situation worse for merged corporation.

I wouldn't surprised either.

My head hurts about whichever Showtime should be sold, so premium channels are no longer useful in streaming era and they are basically another streaming service with premium channels included.

Perhaps, CBS is well known to viewers watch on OTA and if it wasn't part of Viacom or Paramount, CBS wouldn't see a pain cut, after I saw Linus mentioned that CBS got cut that hurt their network.

If Sony own CBS, they can bring game shows and archival shows to CBS affiliates.

Charter is not in good financial situation and has a lot of debt, so they hiked the price for 2nd time in less than one year and they are closing the retention department, also some people said that they are closing the billing department that seems not make sense to me because how Charter could collect money without billing department.
If Bakish was still around, he would've probably make sure confidence was still there in the press despite the financial outlook not being the same. But his sacking makes the future for the company a lot more shaky in general.

Yup, that is what Showtime, BET, Nickelodeon, MTV, CBS, etc., all act as right now for them. Their role is bringing in enough cash for the company to stand around for the time being but it's not enough for the long-term.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they decided to eventually integrate BET+ into Paramount+ just like how the Showtime & Noggin services were.

If they want to specifically cut costs on streaming, it doesn't actually make sense to have multiple paid streaming services at the same time unless you do have enough of a financial stability at the company to do that.

Last edited:

Moe

If Bakish was still around, he would've probably make sure confidence was still there in the press despite the financial outlook not being the same. But his sacking makes the future for the company a lot more shaky in general.
I dislike Bakish but not because of Paramount as whole, but it has with MTV and Nickelodeon that is my main issue for years. I think Showtime is doing OK and I like some of their shows. Comedy Central and Paramount Network are OK. No opinion on BET/VH1 because I'm not one of their demographic.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they decided to eventually integrate BET+ into Paramount+ just like how the Showtime & Noggin services were.
You may remember that initially, I casted doubt for corporation and procedural reasons but at end, BET+ would be absorbed into Paramount+ anytime. Don't care about BET+ because I'm not their demographic but I like Madea films, tho.

If they want to specifically cut costs on streaming, it doesn't actually make sense to have multiple paid streaming services at the same time unless you do have enough of a financial stability at the company to do that.
I'm surprised that streaming market crash didn't happen sooner but it is likely later.

Series of price hikes are going to push the customers to subscribe fewer streaming services and if there is economic downturn like recession, they will eliminate all of them that wasn't much with basic cable TV when recession hits in 1990s and 2000s, but they only eliminated the digital tier and premium channels, that it.

When my parents experienced budget crunch, they cancelled Disney Channel, HBO, digital tier, etc until condition improves within several months.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Sure but they can definitely try to exhaust those non-content assets as well before coming after content directly.

A lot of them are still there and might not be that relevant to the company going forward as opposed to content-related ones at the end of the day.
What's a non-content asset Paramount has?

The way I see it, it's still an equivalent to HBO, FX, etc. It's still compelling enough as being part of the whole package than the non-content assets.
They did strip mine it, fire people and "collapsed it into Paramount+" it's not as strong as it was 18 months ago.

I dislike Bakish but not because of Paramount as whole, but it has with MTV and Nickelodeon that is my main issue for years. I think Showtime is doing OK and I like some of their shows. Comedy Central and Paramount Network are OK. No opinion on BET/VH1 because I'm not one of their demographic.
That'd be more Chris McCarthy and Brian Robbins thing. At least Nick is still doing original programming , MTV is probably a dead case because it's hard to do a youth focused network when the youth aren't watching as much.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Moe

That'd be more Chris McCarthy and Brian Robbins thing. At least Nick is still doing original programming , MTV is probably a dead case because it's hard to do a youth focused network when the youth aren't watching as much.
Yes, make sense now.

I think that Paramount should repurpose MTV with something to give option for cable viewers to watch, so need more than just Ridiculousness and Catfish, so it can be used as spillover from other Paramount owned channels like 90s Nick cartoons occupy 10 pm to 6 am on MTV, Star Trek shows on morning schedule, JAG shows occupy noon schedule, etc. Just my idea.

Knight Rider on MTV? Sure, I won't object!!!

Not everyone can get H&I, so use MTV for hero and action shows would be welcoming.

They did strip mine it, fire people and "collapsed it into Paramount+" it's not as strong as it was 18 months ago.
It looks like goes down really fast.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
Paramount Global might be hitting junk status
They're still in time to sell Game One and J-One to someone else.
And Super! That one should go to someone that cares (or go back to DeAgostini, but I think they sold it because they didn't want to deal with that anymore?)

lowell

What's a non-content asset Paramount has?

Remaining 12.5% stake in the CW, FuboTV stake, Philo TV stake, VidCon, WhoSay, Pop Culture Media (PopCulture.com and ComicBook.com), CBS Broadcast Center in NYC (broadcast operations will be moved to somewhere else in the city so company was going to explore redeveloping the site), other redundant real estate buildings in the U.S. and international.

They're still in time to sell Game One and J-One to someone else.
And Super! That one should go to someone that cares (or go back to DeAgostini, but I think they sold it because they didn't want to deal with that anymore?)
The non-content assets I've listed above don't look to be that relevant to the company. At least the international operations are still mostly content-related.

You may remember that initially, I casted doubt for corporation and procedural reasons but at end, BET+ would be absorbed into Paramount+ anytime. Don't care about BET+ because I'm not their demographic but I like Madea films, tho.

I'm surprised that streaming market crash didn't happen sooner but it is likely later.

Series of price hikes are going to push the customers to subscribe fewer streaming services and if there is economic downturn like recession, they will eliminate all of them that wasn't much with basic cable TV when recession hits in 1990s and 2000s, but they only eliminated the digital tier and premium channels, that it.

When my parents experienced budget crunch, they cancelled Disney Channel, HBO, digital tier, etc until condition improves within several months.
They haven't done another price hike recently but I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at doing another one.

The only other move they haven't done but others have is a password crackdown.

Last edited:

Moe

They haven't done another price hike recently but I wouldn't be surprise if they looked at doing another one.
I'm saying about most streaming services, not limited to Paramount+ alone.

and yeah, Disney+, Netflix and Hulu are worst with price hikes, secondly, Peacock and thirdly, Max. Paramount+ and MGM+ is on bottom.

When multiple streaming services hiked the price, customers, including myself have to make a hard decision to cut on numbers of streaming services and some eliminated most or all, including some members in here.

The only other move they haven't done but others have is a password crackdown.
Right, I think that Paramount is thinking their best business strategy to make most revenues and I wouldn't surprise if they consider password crackdown. Bad news for families with adult children who went off to college or live alone, so they rely on shared accounts.

lowell

I'm saying about most streaming services, not limited to Paramount+ alone.

and yeah, Disney+, Netflix and Hulu are worst with price hikes, secondly, Peacock and thirdly, Max. Paramount+ and MGM+ is on bottom.

When multiple streaming services hiked the price, customers, including myself have to make a hard decision to cut on numbers of streaming services and some eliminated most or all, including some members in here.

Right, I think that Paramount is thinking their best business strategy to make most revenues and I wouldn't surprise if they consider password crackdown. Bad news for families with adult children who went off to college or live alone, so they rely on shared accounts.
Yup, it'll force people to rethink critically on what services to keep but it is a strategy that some of these guys are choosing to make sure they reach profitability.

Reactions: Moe

Moe

Yup, it'll force people to rethink critically on what services to keep but it is a strategy that some of these guys are choosing to make sure they reach profitability.
Yes, streaming services are still in infancy like commercially cable TV did in 1980s.

Price hikes for cable TV was wild in 1980s and it started to slow down after passage of 1992 Cable Act and went back to wild again after deregulation, especially several years after passage of Telecommunications Act of 1996.

If price hikes cause stagnant in streaming services, so it would make business more harder to run, so they would end up to cut on contents and less new contents - bad news for creatives and studios would say not many viewers want to subscribe, so they have to lay writers and actors off.

lowell

Yes, streaming services are still in infancy like commercially cable TV did in 1980s.

Price hikes for cable TV was wild in 1980s and it started to slow down after passage of 1992 Cable Act and went back to wild again after deregulation, especially several years after passage of Telecommunications Act of 1996.

If price hikes cause stagnant in streaming services, so it would make business more harder to run, so they would end up to cut on contents and less new contents - bad news for creatives and studios would say not many viewers want to subscribe, so they have to lay writers and actors off.
Yup, if these companies want to maintain their direct-to-consumer relationships through these platforms with subscribers as a long-term business, they will have to continuously provide fresh content to account for these price increases or else they'll lose subscribers.

Moe

Ouch, Paramount deleted all of MTV News articles, including first article came in 1996.

Teens and college kids don't watch MTV anymore and Paramount didn't bother to repurpose to make useful again.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Ouch, Paramount deleted all of MTV News articles, including first article came in 1996.

Teens and college kids don't watch MTV anymore and Paramount didn't bother to repurpose to make useful again.

Related to this, now Comedy Central has removed 25 years worth of clips and other content from their webiste to get people to sign up for Paramount+. Of course not all of the removed content is on there.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts