Why did FOX last so long compared to The WB or UPN?

TheMisterManGuy

In the past few years, two of the major broadcast networks in the US had their ownership completely shaken up as a result of corporate buyouts and mergers. In 2019, Disney purchased nearly all of the film and tv assets of 21st Century Fox, resulting in the FOX Broadcasting Company and Fox's news and sports divisions joining the new Fox Corporation.

And late last year, NextStar Media Group acquired a majority stake in The CW from previous owners, Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Global. The CW launched in 2006 as a merger of Time Warner's WB and CBS' UPN, which were both launched in the mid-90s, while FOX was established in the mid-80s.

FOX, WB, and UPN were unique from the big 3 US broadcast networks (CBS, ABC, and NBC) in that they were relatively new startups tied to major movie studios (20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., and Paramount) that targeted a younger audience.

Yet FOX was able to survive all this time as a major network alongside the big three, while WB and UPN were forced together into a much smaller network in comparison. How come FOX survived all this time and remained relatively popular, while WB and UPN fell by the wayside?

I think it really comes down to programing and audience. The WB in the late 90s and 2000s was known for its various teen-focused dramas such as Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Smallville, Gilmore Girls, and One Tree Hill, while UPN was known for its African-American sitcoms and WWE Smack Down! However, the two channels struggled to break out of those respective niches.

The WB became a bit too much of a one trick pony with its over-reliance on teen dramas, resulting in the network's image of being dominated by Pretty White Kids with Problems, offering little else for anybody over 30. While outside Wrestling and its sitcoms, most of UPN's shows were garbage, which gave that network the image of being a dumping ground for shows the other networks didn't want. UPN didn't start getting actual hits until towards the end of its life with America's Next Top Model, Veronica Mars, and Everybody Hates Chris.

FOX however, managed to keep its lineup varied and interesting to people of all ages and tastes throughout the years, It had sitcoms, reality shows, shows for teens, dramas, adult cartoons, game shows, and of course, getting the rights to NFL in 1994, which cemented its status among the major networks. There were lowpoints, such as when they get too trigger happy with cancelling fan-favorite shows (Firefly, Futurama, etc.). But in its peak eras, FOX had shows everybody watched. Classic Simpsons, In Living Color, Married... With Children, MadTV, Beverly Hills 90210, Party of Five, X-Files, The O.C., American Idol, House, Glee, Family Guy, Malcom in the Middle, That '70s Show, and others.

Compared to The WB, FOX knew how to get shows with equal appeal to both teenagers, as well as the 18-49 demo, and for the most part, had a larger range of quality shows compared to most of UPN's life.

Basically, I think its a matter of FOX being an actual TV network with young appeal compared to the niche focus of WB and UPN.

harry580

its does makes me wondered: what if the wb & upn gets inspiration from fox for alot of things but done right

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
This discussion gives me a sense of deja vu for some reason.

In New York, I grew up watching FOX on WNYW 5 and The WB on WPIX 11. Both seemed so similar in setup to me at the time with strong kids blocks, primetime soaps and teen dramas, shows aimed at black audiences, primetime animation, etc. WB was definitely following the FOX blueprint and to my eyes, they seemed to be succeeding with it. Being in a huge market like New York kind of skewed how I saw it though.

In New York, because of the connection to WPIX, WB aired live sports and had a constant news team among things that the major networks did but this didn't seem to be the case when I would spend time in other parts of the country. I remember being in Richmond, VA for a while and trying to catch episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer but not being able to because there was no WB affiliate. If I was lucky, and I happened to be up, I might be able to catch it when one of the major networks affiliates aired WB content late at night. When I spent some time in Huntsville, Alabama, I would have been lucky if I could catch it late at night but I don't think that was even available to me. When I first moved to North Carolina, my cable provider wasn't carrying the local CW and somehow I ended up in a situation where I paid a little extra to get the WPIX and WWOR feeds that they were actually carrying for some reason. A part of me just ended up thinking that WB, UPN and eventually CW just came at a time after FOX got the last available big batch of nationwide affiliates, and they were never really able to catch up. Not being able to grow past the youth oriented programming probably didn't help either. Of course, I'm far from knowledgeable about this stuff and this is just my goofy layman point of view. I just like thinking about this sort of topic.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts