Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
While it's true that Donald punished the nephews for being bratty, there were times in which Donald was such a poor parental figure he puts Peter and Homer to shame. The most notorious example is the classic short "Donald's Happy Birthday", where HD&L buy a box of cigars as a gift for Donald, however Donald believes they bought it for themselves, so he forces them to smoke the entire box of cigars. It's quite a disturbing scene, mainly because the nephews' reactions are quite graphic, it almost feels like child abuse (in real life, it would be).

And to everyone saying Timmy's father... isn't that, you know, kind of the point?

Aldrius

Arrogant Instigator
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. Osborn is a close second.

Oh, jeez, what about Bradley? Sheesh.

Hell, most of the fathers in Fullmetal aren't really shining beacons of solid parenting.

A.Magik

Aldrius said:
Hell, most of the fathers in Fullmetal aren't really shining beacons of solid parenting.
What's ironic is that some of these betrayers of Fatherhood seemed actually fond- in their own way- of the children whose care they abused.

While it's true that Donald punished the nephews for being bratty, there were times in which Donald was such a poor parental figure he puts Peter and Homer to shame. The most notorious example is the classic short "Donald's Happy Birthday", where HD&L buy a box of cigars as a gift for Donald, however Donald believes they bought it for themselves, so he forces them to smoke the entire box of cigars. It's quite a disturbing scene, mainly because the nephews' reactions are quite graphic, it almost feels like child abuse (in real life, it would be).
Well, the kids were notorious for abusing their uncle's trust. True, Donald did overreact, but based on previous experiences, who wouldn't?

Last edited by a moderator:

80's guy

Cotton from King of the Hills. he was truly a bad father Hank, yet Hank care about him because he's WWII hero.

Stan Smith
, ashamed that Steve is a geek, the right he treat Hayley is even worse.

Peter Griffin belong in the #1 chart of worse father because he wasn't a very good father figure.

Monte

Ugh... you could not create such a poll as there are SO MANY terrible fathers in animation

Seriously, they are so common place there are like several different tropes that they can fall under
Parental Abandonment
Abusive parents
Offing the Offspring
(allow me to doom you with several TV Tropes links, MAHAHAHAHAHA)

Granted those include mothers too, but it's mostly fathers since their the ones who tend to be more bad...
Still even those list don't include every bad dad, most of the worst though...
Some are unknowingly horrible

Take Goku of DBZ for instance... seems like such a genuine caring guy; but it takes more than just caring... allowing your 5 year old son to take part in fights that put him in mortal danger; staying away from home for month's at a time to train, the first time meant leaving his son in the hands of an old enemy; and the second time(after freeza) meant leaving his whole family alone with an even more dangerous former enemy (and he didn't even have an excuse aside from, "these guys can teach me cool stuff"); choosing to stay dead even though he has an unborn child that will never know him; having a chance to come back only to spend it going to a tournament instead of spending time with said son...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
Fire Lord Ozai is the one I remember the most, because not only did he burn his son's face for speaking out of turn, but attempted to kill him twice.

Peter Griffin...he would count if the nature of the show wasn't comedic.

dendawg

RIP Dusty :(
Take Goku of DBZ for instance... seems like such a genuine caring guy; but it takes more than just caring... allowing your 5 year old son to take part in fights that put him in mortal danger; staying away from home for month's at a time to train, the first time meant leaving his son in the hands of an old enemy; and the second time(after freeza) meant leaving his whole family alone with an even more dangerous former enemy (and he didn't even have an excuse aside from, "these guys can teach me cool stuff"); choosing to stay dead even though he has an unborn child that will never know him; having a chance to come back only to spend it going to a tournament instead of spending time with said son...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that saving the earth since you're the only one strong enough to defeat the villain of the month takes precedence over raising your kids. Goku wasn't really that abusive, and during training for the Cell games, even took a little break to spend quality time with his son and wife, and at times of peace even doted on him. YMMV, but hardly worst father ever material, IMHO.:shrug:

rattis1

Well, the kids were notorious for abusing their uncle's trust. True, Donald did overreact, but based on previous experiences, who wouldn't?

But there WERE also times when Donald was the one who did cruel things to the boys to begin with, without being provoked (much like how he usually behaves towards whatever little chipmunk or ant he comes across). Like in one short where he sleds right into a snowman the boys have just built, and then rolls around on the ground laughing at them.

But of course, it's this borderline sadistic side of him that makes him one of the funniest cartoon characters of the entire golden age.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?

That reminds me of that King of the Hill episode where Bobby and Joseph were caught smoking, Dale gave Joseph some pamphlets, while Hank bought a whole carton full of cigarettes. Hank made Bobbu smoke every pack, he even told him the "proper way" to hold a cigarette. They even covered how much of bad parenting it was during a group meeting where one guy in charge asked Bobby how he got into smoking, his response was "Since my dad made me smoke a whole carton." everyone gasped at that. While Hank Hill is a great father, that was one of his dumbest moments.

As for my pick, Clay from Moral Orel, if only for beating his son everyday for following his own advice, and of course what happened in the camping episode.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
That reminds me of that King of the Hill episode where Bobby and Joseph were caught smoking, Dale gave Joseph some pamphlets, while Hank bought a whole carton full of cigarettes. Hank made Bobbu smoke every pack, he even told him the "proper way" to hold a cigarette. They even covered how much of bad parenting it was during a group meeting where one guy in charge asked Bobby how he got into smoking, his response was "Since my dad made me smoke a whole carton." everyone gasped at that. While Hank Hill is a great father, that was one of his dumbest moments.
I don't watch KOTH much, but I definitely remember this one. Funny thing is that, during the Smoker Anonymous meeting (or something like that) when everyone was scolding Hank for forcing his underage son to smoke a whole carton of cigarettes, Hank even tried to defend his position by saying his punishment was proper or something.

I believe this was all the way back in season 1, so I guess they were still experimenting with the characters.

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
You realize that Riley and Huey are no angels, right?

I mean, Riley outright tries to rob and vandalize with two grown men. Robert's got to spank Riley before the government does it for him

Yeah, you're right, Riley deserves a good beating. But Robert has done plenty of bad things in spite of that, like during his "acting career" or when he took the kids to the movies.

Romperstoomper

**Behold!**
Butters is the saddest one for me because it's just too realistic. His dad and his mom really are just wrapped up in their own stuff and don't care about him, to the point where his mom tries to kill him as part of their selfish relationship drama and then they both try to cover it up. They also physically abuse him. What Peter Griffin does to Meg is like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, what happens to Butters happens all the time.

It's getting warmer.... for now. I mean, I agree.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts