Worst live action adaptions of cartoons and comics

Robin2099

The Justice League pilot I agree was incredibly awful. That and the fantastic four movie - I couldn't believe how bad they were. Any live action version of Captain America was awful too, whether it was the two TV pilots, or the incredibly bad DTV movie with the rubber ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

JShaggy

You Serious?!
The worst adaptation to me was the live-action Masters of the Universe movie from the 80s. Not only were the character designs bad (Skeletor's design was the worst), but the way they handled the movie made me want to knock myself unconcious.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
The Weed Of Cri said:
Josie and The Pussycats: This movie wasn't all that terrible. I'm just still ticked off that Dan DeCarlo's widow had to sue to get her husband credit for creating the characters after the studio took his name off the master print when he was just weeks away from death, so they could cheat him out of royalties.

DeCarlo was treated like garbage late in his life. He was never properly paid for any of his creations or accomplishments. Those studio heads aren't the only ones that tried to screw him over. It's a sad story....

Josie was bad, but not the worst. I can't stand to watch it, but there are others that would make me scream in pain.

JShaggy said:
The worst adaptation to me was the live-action Masters of the Universe movie from the 80s. Not only were the character designs bad (Skeletor's design was the worst), but the way they handled the movie made me want to knock myself unconcious.
Well, that one's fine. I mean, look at it. It's Courtney Cox, a Yoda knockoff, and a man in a paper-mache mask (yes, Skeletor was the worst; he could have looked SO much more fearsome). It's hilarious. I don't know what possessed them into making it revolve around two teenagers instead of He-Man, but dang...I can't hate camp like this TOO much.

At the end, Skeletor absorbed all the power in the universe and became a god. Then He-Man beat him by swinging his sword at him (never even connecting). Not even the cartoon would be that ridiculous. I love it.

Bluntman

Dolph Lundgren's portrayal of The Punisher was God-awful for one reason: Dolph butt-naked and oiled up in the sewers. WTF!!!!!

The worst adaptation of a comic or cartoon into a movie is hands down "Batman And Robin." Joel Schumacher should be banned from making movies for this one. Many reasons for this.

1). Casting Arnold as Mr. Freeze - WTF????!!!!

2). Bane - Crappy character, and pointless to the movie.

3). George Clooney - I love the man, and he's admitted it was a money grab, but come on.

4). Bat-nipples - Chris O'Donnell and George had nipples, yet Batgirl gets none???? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

5). Uma Thurman - Just stick to Tarrantino films. Seriously.

6). Neon Lights & Bright Colors In Gotham? - Shouldn't Gotham City be dark and gritty? It looked stupid.

7). Alicia Silverstone - This girl cannot act. At all.

8). Joel Schumacher - He's done maybe two watchable movies in his entire career at best.

9). Two Villians - This trend must stop. If you can't make one villian worth a damn, adding another isn't going to help you.

10). It Was An Obvious Homage To The Crappy 'Batman' TV Show - I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but that show sucked. "The Bat-tusi?"
Get that %$^& outta here!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael24

Staff member
Bluntman said:
4). Bat-nipples - Chris O'Donnell and George had nipples, yet Batgirl gets none???? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Just incase nobody knew, Schumacher wanted Batgirl's suit to have nipples, but the studio told him that was going to far. :confused:

Toon Capone

JShaggy said:

I agree.

As a MOTU fan I really hated this film it is probably the only MOTU related thing that I hate. I didn't find anything good or entertaining about this film. I mean there was no Cringer / Battle Cat, or any of my other favorite MOTU characters in the movie, they made Beast Man a mute, and all the action took place on Earth which was stupid.

I just hope that the supposed new MOTU movie is 100x better, but I'm not going to get my hopes up on it.:sad:

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
Well you gotta admit that for a 'So campy it's hilarious' movie MOTU is really great XD it's like watching those Lou Ferrigno Hercules movie or the old Batman TV serie. It's so crummy it's funny XD

Bluntman

Just incase nobody knew, Schumacher wanted Batgirl's suit to have nipples, but the studio told him that was going to far. :confused:

But nipples on Clooney and O'Donnell was fine????? WTF!!!!!!!

Bubblegum Girl

Magic User Wannabe
Super Mario Bros. - ok it's not a cartoon or a comic but still. The movie was so horrible and it had nothing to do with any of the video games. :shrug:

Michael24

Staff member
Bluntman said:

But nipples on Clooney and O'Donnell was fine????? WTF!!!!!!!

I know. When I first heard that, I had the same reaction.

James

Administrator
Staff member
Michael24 said:
I know. When I first heard that, I had the same reaction.

Maybe something to do with female nipples being far more sexually provocative compared to males. I'm not sure I understand the surprise with this - particularly for a franchise which WB was PUSHING towards a younger audience.

Furthermore, pool old Joel is a sound director. Don't blame him for doing precisely what WB asked. He seems to get far more stick than the studio for Batman & Robin.

hobbyfan

Might as well jump on the bandwagon.

George Clooney was not the right choice to play Batman. Once they got him, they decided that Batman & Robin would be a camp throwback.

After seeing Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, some genius at DC decided that Ivy would now have green skin, turning more plant than human.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze? Hey, it wasn't so bad. Just remember that they had 3 guys play Freeze on TV (Eli Wallach, Otto Preminger, & George Sanders). It's a hard character to play.

Alicia Silverstone pretty much killed her career playing Batgirl.

And to think Schumacher & writer Akiva Goldsman have since won Oscars?!:ack:

Batman Forever wasn't much better, but Val Kilmer gave a good accounting as Batman. Tommy Lee Jones was wasted as "Harvey Two-Face". What a waste of the character, too!:ack:

Next thing ya know, Tom Cruise will suddenly be cast in the next film, so he can work with his honey-bunny Katie. Anyone for Cruise as the Joker?;) :p :cool:

Bubblegum Girl said:
Super Mario Bros. - ok it's not a cartoon or a comic but still. The movie was so horrible and it had nothing to do with any of the video games. :shrug:
I think that I am the only person on the entire planet that thought that the Mario movie was OK.

Noukon

Deep Blue
TheMecca said:
I think that I am the only person on the entire planet that thought that the Mario movie was OK.

I find it amusing in a campy sort of way, but it's a terrible movie.

Except for the elevator scene.

FroBro

batman & robin,superman 4,howard the duck,batman & robin,and possibly the worst movie ever garfield. god that was horrible.

FroBro

the mario movie was brilliant.bowser was a human,yoshi looked like a lizard,they road in cop cars, and it had a breathtaking matress riding scene. that alone shouldve helped it sweep the oscars.

Paul_Cousins

TheMecca said:
I think that movie okay also. I think the plot and script was too corny, but the acting talent the cast had kept the movie watchable.

AdamYJ

The Saturday Morning Kid
TheMecca said:

It was good for what they were capable of doing. I just give them points for trying. I mean what are we going to expect when someone tries to make one of the most cartoony and fantastical video game series ever into a live action movie.

Warrior Kitana

A Whole New World
I agree with most on the list such as Catwoman, Mario Bros., Batman & Robin, etc. But I still can't believe there's been no mention of StreetFighter: The Movie yet. That movie was so chessy, strayed away from the original storyline. The acting and dialogue was awful. Such a shame that Raul Julia's last role was in this horrible movie. I haven't seen Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, but I heard it was pretty bad as well.

Jedah Dohma

The Blood Reaper... returns
I haven't seen Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, but I heard it was pretty bad as well.

I remember anticipating that movie when it was released in theatres. I liked it at first but then grew to hate it after each viewing. Yeah, it's a bad movie. Mortal Kombat, though, remains my favorite video game movie adaptation ever.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts