"2024 Summer Olympics" Official Talkback (Spoilers)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
As of the time of writing Portugal hasn't bagged a medal, not even silver. Last time we had Pichardo winning gold (out of six medals IIRC).

The USA has surpassed China in the medal table (12), but still has the same amount of gold as China (3, out of a total of 6 gold medals from the Chinese committee).

Japan and Australia have the most gold medals so far, four, Australia does well in swimming.

Moe

This is the first Summer Olympics that NBC Sports Network(or NBCSN for short) isn't around for but it's kinda a blessing since that means the only two NBC cable networks that are carrying it is USA Network and CNBC(not sure if MSNBC will carry some games later on). Of course, I know Peacock is streaming a lot of it.
and first Summer Olympic without Olympic Channel that closed in 2022.

Also, NBC air games on E! and Golf Channel. No plan to air on MSNBC this year.

Yeah, NBC want viewers to subscribe Peacock to take a full advantage of Olympic coverage.

harry580

Anyone saw Minions Olympic short on NBC? I did and loved them.

Hey NBCUniversal, great with creative!
I wonder if other illumination characters like the ones from sing, secret life of pets & migration made a cameo in it, because I really love to see it, if not, imagine!

Moe

I wonder if other illumination characters like the ones from sing, secret life of pets & migration made a cameo in it, because I really love to see it, if not, imagine!
They just showed minions, that all.

Asa

This wouldn’t be the first time that the Olympics took place in Paris.

They were previously held in 1900 and 1924.

Also, this year marks 100 years of the 1924 Summer Olympics so it made sense for the games to take place in France.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
As of the time of writing Portugal hasn't bagged a medal, not even silver. Last time we had Pichardo winning gold (out of six medals IIRC).

The USA has surpassed China in the medal table (12), but still has the same amount of gold as China (3, out of a total of 6 gold medals from the Chinese committee).

Japan and Australia have the most gold medals so far, four, Australia does well in swimming.
As a USA fan, I like the idea of counting total medals because it makes us look better.

However, I inherently believe that the real tracker is the gold medal count. Silvers and Bronzes work like tiebreakers.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Surf's underway in Tahiti.

The good thing is that French Polynesia as a whole is east of the International Date Line, meaning that they are behind the mainland.

At the time of writing, Japan now has the most gold (6 out of a total of 12 medals). It and China have the same total. South Africa scored gold tonight (in my timezone). Hong Kong which had one bronze medal has gained two gold medals.

Per a Geography Now short posted on his channel today, Norway doesn't receive prize money, regardless of medal (and they haven't received one yet). Singapore has abnormally high prizes (in the hundreds of thousands) because chances of the country receiving a medal are minuscule (here's to you, Schooling, in 2016). Kazakhstan's prizes aren't money, but by number of bedrooms in an apartment:

Bronze: apartment with one bedroom
Silver: apartment with two bedrooms
Gold: apartment with three bedrooms

Kazakhstan not only got a handful of medals including a gold one, but also a few apartments ;)

Portugal isn't doing well, neither does Spain with just one bronze medal, and Brazil has three, but no gold.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The opening ceremony was alright, I think it had some pacing issues, but the French going weird was something I expected. I liked how the integrated the parade of countries as part of the ceremony. Nice to see Celine Dion and have her sing, with her health struggles it's great sight. I liked how they made the river the main attraction to the show and really showing Paris and French stuff, it's a different way than just using a stadium to do it.

I pretty much watch a mixture of the events. Lots of indoor volleyball, beach volleyball, boat stuff, surfing, skateboarding, cycling, soccer, rugby 7's ,shooting handball, fencing, Equestrian stuff. Not big into basketball, swimming, gymnastics though. There's no baseball/softball this year. Am interested to see how break dancing goes.

I think NBC does an alright job, I would never want ESPN to have the rights. I do miss NBC using like 8 channels for the Olympics. This year E! (which actually means I watch the channel) and CNBC (only on weekends) are doing coverage only during the live hours 4am ET to 6pmET, so USA Network is the only one that goes 24/7 NBC goes in and out. I also get two extra channels on Comcast. I'll check out Peacock for events or replays at times maybe, I can also use the NBC sports app. I usually watch what's on and not just Team USA too.

These feel Olympics do feel a bit more normal, feel bad for Japan and how they got the worst draw ever, but they did a good job what they had, it was just kind of sad because of how it was empty feeling.

The Cauldron is really cool
GTcZKOfXwAA9D_9

The Fencing is being held in Grand Palais which is really beautiful
GTk1EJZawAArMOO

J10

Yesterday, Novak defeated Nadal.

Also, today, both Iraq and Morocco, in addition to Egypt and Spain, will have their matches played today.

Unfortunately, too bad that weightlifting this year will be held in the last days of the Olympics, unlike before.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Saw Serbia win gold in Mixed Air Pistol
US Women got Bronze, Canada silver and New Zealand in Rugby 7's
US Men going to quarter finals in soccer.

Mandouga

I saw 3 x 3 basketball earlier. Now I know some of you might know this stuff already, but I found it interesting that:

-It’s played on a half court (one basket)
-It’s played on a specially made outdoor court (i.e. they don’t just use one half of a full indoor court)
-There’s a 12 second shot clock.
-Regular baskets are 1 point while ones that would give you three points are worth 2 instead.
-There don’t appear to be periods, just a series of games
-I don’t think you can call time-outs in this version of basketball, but I could be wrong.

There might be other differences too, but if there are, they're not obvious to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member

Moe

I would never want ESPN to have the rights.
ESPN has never air Olympic games before and as for ABC, last time they did was 1984 Olympic, so cable TV was infancy at that time and 1984 Cable Act (deregulate the cable TV) haven't became a law.

Disney didn't own ABC nor ESPN in 1984, also most sport games if not all of them aired on broadcast networks at that time.

So far, the ratings have been great for NBC, especially compared to Tokyo. Of course, the comparisons are apples-to-oranges but due to the time difference not being as bad and the pandemic being over, the games are doing much better.

These feel Olympics do feel a bit more normal, feel bad for Japan and how they got the worst draw ever, but they did a good job what they had, it was just kind of sad because of how it was empty feeling.
I do think that Tokyo should given a chance to have a host without any cost because they got hit by pandemic that is unfair to Tokyo.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Day 5 has been interesting .

France is pulling into second in the medal count.

The women's triathlon was wild in the sense that the cycling round because of the wet ground was just slipping and crashing it was mess. They had a messy start at the start with the swimming.
The US Women's soccer team completed group play undefeated , let's go!
The US Women's Volley Ball team did well against Serbia

Guatemala won a gold in Trap shooting.

I think I have watched 19 sports in these days... this is not even details of everything.

J10

Moroccans defeated the US in football (soccers) match. Too bad that Iraq, Argentina, and they were all defeated by Morocco. I hope the next match will see the defeat like what Ukraine does in Morocco match.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Portugal bagged its first medal, a bronze medal, yesterday. A Belarusian member of the Individual Neutral Athletes got silver. China has returned to the top place in gold.

Oddly enough our medal was a tie and there were two silver medals in Judo, shared with China.
I do think that Tokyo should given a chance to have a host without any cost because they got hit by pandemic that is unfair to Tokyo.
I have to agree with what you said

Reactions: Moe

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I agree that Tokyo should host again but my guess is that they don't have an appetite do so anytime soon.

Watching Suni Lee and Simone Biles get their medals yesterday was exciting. I was able to watch it live during the day and it was interesting to see the replay in primetime, where NBC added the human interest stories to it. I know some sports fans hate it but those recaps in primetime are really targeted towards people who are casual watchers and it's worked for many decades now, so there's no reason to change it.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Moe

I agree that Tokyo should host again but my guess is that they don't have an appetite do so anytime soon.

Watching Suni Lee and Simone Biles get their medals yesterday was exciting. I was able to watch it live during the day and it was interesting to see the replay in primetime, where NBC added the human interest stories to it. I know some sports fans hate it but those recaps in primetime are really targeted towards people who are casual watchers and it's worked for many decades now, so there's no reason to change it.
Yeah, it took a lot of preparation and works to have Olympic ready and preparation take several years.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts