4Kids Talkback: A New Dawn Begins - The 4Kids Discussion V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfkid

Excuse me but... a weekday block? really? Has this been confirmed?

"Does a happy dance"

No, sadly. This is what I found out earlier.

I sent a email asking if 4Kids was thinking about a weekday lineup and this is what I got back:

"Thanks for your interest in 4Kids and our shows. We are not considering
doing a weekday line up on TV but...online we do have shows available
anytime for free at:
http://www.4kidstv.com/

New episodes will be released online in the coming days and weeks."

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
That's not actually the case with Poke'Mon. They didn't lose the rights to Poke'Mon. They sold the rights for Poke'Mon to Poke'Mon USA because they felt they were losing money dubbing it. In the case of Shaman King, One Piece, and Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy the licenses expired or were reclaimed by the original company. 4Kids still does get some money for the re-releases of Poke'Mon that Viz has done because they are credited in the closing credits and their VA's get money for the roles.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Excuse me but... a weekday block? really? Has this been confirmed?

"Does a happy dance"

No, we were just thinking about the possibility of a weekday block for the CW4Kids. It definitely would be cool, but I don't think that's going to happen. 4Kids could probably afford it, at least once they get rid of their contract with Fox, but I don't think the CW would be interested in a weekday afternoon block. Shame since what they are doing is just playing reruns of old sitcoms instead.

bigddan11 said:
That's not actually the case with Poke'Mon. They didn't lose the rights to Poke'Mon. They sold the rights for Poke'Mon to Poke'Mon USA because they felt they were losing money dubbing it. In the case of Shaman King, One Piece, and Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy the licenses expired or were reclaimed by the original company. 4Kids still does get some money for the re-releases of Poke'Mon that Viz has done because they are credited in the closing credits and their VA's get money for the roles.

I do remember hearing how they didn't renew their contract hold on Pokemon, but I've heard a lot of different rumors as to why to the point where I don't know what's real and what's a rumor. One of the most common things I did hear was how they thought that they were losing money by dubbing it or that they were asking for more money or something like that. In all honesty, that sounds kind of weird to me. I know that it is expensive to dub just one episode of a series, but its Pokemon. It's like an instant cash cow. I don't want to turn this into a why did the voice actor get replaced argument since this kind of reminds me of one the many I had to deal with in other Pokemon forms. Man, those were some of the worse flame wars I've ever been a part of.

Anyway, I'm not too surprised that they still get some money from the re-releases of Pokemon. Since they were the ones doing the dubbing for the first eight seasons and their voice actors did the work, it would make sense to give them a bit of money for those box sets.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
I just find it ironic that they gave up on Pokemon because they thought they were losing money, but when Diamond and Pearl Anime and Games came back, a new surge in the fanbase arise. When I saw the article on ANN about Diamond and Pearl being as strong as Pokemon first starting out, my thoughts were that "Hmm... I wonder if 4kids is kicking themselves in the ass because of that." I thought that mostly because I was under some impression that 4Kids got some sort of royalty-like deal from the games selling.

My takes on the whole switch of dubbing company/licensor was that 4Kids didn't renew the anime in time and decided to give the rights to PUSA because of that whole money issue.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
I really doubt 4Kids voluntarily decided to give up Pokémon. At almost every quarterly conference call, Al Kahn talks about how they've been struggling to replace the franchise. It was the highest-rated show on Kids' WB, even in its eighth season, so 4Kids knew that the property still had lots of life left in it.

Tash

In the case of Shaman King, One Piece, and Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy the licenses expired or were reclaimed by the original company.
Which really stinks, because Ultimate Muscle never got a proper DVD release, and nobody bothered to tape the American-made episodes that only ran once. They're lost forever.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Looks like 4Kids picked up yet another new series.

HTDT (52x11) The series will air on Canal+'s Teletoon, and will bow on the CW4Kids Saturday morning block on The CW in the US.
Here is the synopsis of the show:
In HTDT (52x11, Ages 6-11), when all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty back together again, they turned to Dr. Kizami Miyazaki, who did the trick with some bio-nuclear physics. Now known simply as HTDT, the reconstituted egg, aided by Dr. Miyazaki’s 10-yearold son Axel and his babysitter, the beautiful assistant librarian and teen pop star Arisa, battles the forces of evil that regularly threaten the kingdom of Olde Story.

collector_cliff

Noob Saibot
Looks like 4Kids picked up yet another new series.

Here is the synopsis of the show:

Looks like it was originally going to air on Cartoon Network this Fall. Wonder what happened.
http://www.animationcollective.com/HTDT.html

Also looks like the HD version of Chaotic is being delayed, while Dinosaur King is being added early.

Mark80 said:
Encoding Chaotic M'arillian Invasion in HD is taking longer than anticipated. We will release it in SD and then replace with HD when available.

Also, we will have season 2 eps 1 of Dinosaur King in HD up this week

Pomegranate

If HDTD was originally intended for CN, then this feels similar to the Cramp Twins situation, in the fact that it 1st aired on 4KidsTV and eventually showed up on CN afterwards.

mumbo

Look skyward
Hm, I wonder when HTDT will show up. Anyone know if it's E/I? Probably not but hey who knows.

They also lost the rights to Tokyo Mew Mew.

There's probably more than that actually. I have a feeling that the rights to any properties that aren't on their website have either expired or are about to expire, or they sold back - like Sigma 6, F-Zero, and so on. It's not like they'd make a public announcement about losing long-finished series.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yes, 4Kids got the show snatched away from them by the parent company Pokemon USA, didn't they?

That's what I thought made the most sense out of what I heard. 4Kids knew how successful Pokemon was, despite however high the dubbing was. Like D Dubbs mentioned, they've been trying to find a replacement for it and it was one of the highest rated shows on Kids' WB, even in its eighth season. I seriously doubt that they chose to give it up since Pokemon is such a huge cash cow in general and it would seem rather foolish for 4Kids to find a new hit series if they already had one right in their hands like Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts