Adult Swim's New Kid-Friendly Direction

Conttactt

I don’t know that we can infer anything about Checkered Past ratings from this. If anything it is more proof of the strength of the Toonami brand. Also, notice the branding seems to be TOM 3 era. Likely because they have HD bumpers from the early AS era Toonami that they can use.
Maybe less about Checkered Past ratings and more that they just believe they can make the 5pm hour work for them. Like I said, they are actually putting money down this time, on anime no less, which they always complain is expensive and not worth buying, so they gotta have some kind of metric telling them this is worth trying.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08

Demarco confirms they will be using mainly the HD bumpers from April Fools Day. “Some older packaging” and “classic older Toonami music”. This choice lets them save by not having to make new animation while also cashing in on nostalgia for the TOM3 era.

Conttactt

Demarco confirms they will be using mainly the HD bumpers from April Fools Day. “Some older packaging” and “classic older Toonami music”. This choice lets them save by not having to make new animation while also cashing in on nostalgia for the TOM3 era.
Makes sense, they have a hard enough time maintaining the packaging on the normal block. Personally I think the TOM 3 era is the most memorable, and TOM 3 himself is one of his best designs.

But, TOM 3 era means no Sara, which saves a bit of money not having to pay Dana. I’d assume TOM will only have one track of dialog they recycle for 6 or more months. Blum talking is one of the biggest expenses Toonami has, so I can’t see Rewind getting many refreshes to the bumpers.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Makes sense, they have a hard enough time maintaining the packaging on the normal block. Personally I think the TOM 3 era is the most memorable, and TOM 3 himself is one of his best designs.

But, TOM 3 era means no Sara, which saves a bit of money not having to pay Dana. I’d assume TOM will only have one track of dialog they recycle for 6 or more months. Blum talking is one of the biggest expenses Toonami has, so I can’t see Rewind getting many refreshes to the bumpers.
If people remember the original Toonami, TOM rarely said anything witty during bumpers. Most of the time it was just “now back to dragon ball z”. The weird one liners where TOM and SARA get the name of the ship from One Piece wrong are more of an AS era thing. You can record a generic CN style bumper and run it for years with this current block, with how many episodes these shows have.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Rewind full throttle. No dialogue. They could add the "reruns" promo for giggles.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
If it seems worrying that My Adventures with Superman, Unicorn, and Checkered Past air on Adult Swim and not Cartoon Network, Adult Swim is still the same channel as Cartoon Network just at a later time with a different lineup and branding. CN Studio produced shows Primal and Close Enough were still good even if they didn’t air with the Cartoon Network branding.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
If it seems worrying that My Adventures with Superman, Unicorn, and Checkered Past air on Adult Swim and not Cartoon Network, Adult Swim is still the same channel as Cartoon Network just at a later time with a different lineup and branding. CN Studio produced shows Primal and Close Enough were still good even if they didn’t air with the Cartoon Network branding.
I mean, Adult Swim has different advertisers than CN, but that still doesn't change the fact it kinda left CN barely did anything really.

Markus Nelis

Nostalgia definitely fits on AS brand more than CN. At least they have some changes by having a Toonami block on Fridays. Definitely a great decision in my opinion. Now I'm more happier than ever that AS gained more hours. If they continue with more ideas, I don't mind that CN won't be on at 5p anymore. After all, what more creative could CN air? The answer is Scooby and Gumball that you already see during daytime. Sorry but I rather want AS creativity over CN's same episodes we've already seen.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
It is somehow wrong, but you can't really easily fix the problem by doing exactly what was made like 20-30 years ago

We need to make a compromise and stay relatively sane and keep up with times, realizing nowadays there are so MANY alternatives compared to the past, and the media is behaving as a consequence

This doesn't mean I'm justifying the WBD kids department extreme decisions, of course
Infact, they're shooting themselves in a foot
Yeah, that is true. I may not like it either, but it is just another case of it's either adapt or die. Fixing the problem that's already been made is not going to make Cartoon Network any better. Whatever we have to accept it or not.
Hate to break it to you but that wont stop Warner Discovery USA putting Iyanu on Adult Swim. Just that it will air on Cartoon Network elsewhere.
Touché. I mean, look what happened to My Adventures with Superman.
Nostalgia definitely fits on AS brand more than CN. At least they have some changes by having a Toonami block on Fridays. Definitely a great decision in my opinion. Now I'm more happier than ever that AS gained more hours. If they continue with more ideas, I don't mind that CN won't be on at 5p anymore. After all, what more creative could CN air? The answer is Scooby and Gumball that you already see during daytime. Sorry but I rather want AS creativity over CN's same episodes we've already seen.
Yeah, I can understand what you mean.

I don't know. Am I feel like I was huffing and puffing on copeium or maybe it could be a sign that shows like Superman, Unicorn, and Invincible Fight Girl moving to Adult Swim shows that times has changed, and maybe we need to adapt to it?

As much as I want Cartoon Network to be all ages again, I can see why WBD chose Adult Swim from a business standpoint. To the advertisers, trying to appeal to 29 year olds on CN wouldn't make sense if the 29 year olds didn't buy the toys that the advertisers are selling to. So by pushing to Adult Swim works because it will bring a lot more eyeballs and a lot more revenue. Plus, at least Adult Swim had a better reputation of handling their programming way more than Cartoon Network for the past several years. Think about it.

TBQH, from the beginning, I don't have a problem with Adult Swim gaining more airtime because I gave up on CN using their primetime hours a long time ago. They'll just use it for more Gumball and TTG anyway. What was the point?

As much as I hate to admit it, at least there is a method to all this madness.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If a more mature-oriented Pokemon anime spinoff is made its dub would be perfect for Toonami, unless TPCi insists on putting that on Netflix as well.

BlooMac

I'm sorry, but WB Toons or any other name just sounds so generic and boring, especially ones that have no indication that it's a network airing cartoons like Max TV or Warner TV. The Adult Swim expansion is giving us Dexter's Lab and Sailor Moon, not mainstream live-action series like Seinfeld and Game of Thrones.

I'm all for merging CN and AS into a general audience animation channel, but let's call it Cartoon Network. You might say Adult Swim doesn't have "toon" in its name either, but we all know it's Cartoon Network's "adult swim".

As for international CN feeds still being kids channels, well, have those renamed to something generic instead. Warner TV Kids or Boing would be a perfect brand for a lackluster lineup with endless Gumball and toddler shows.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
We all have our own personal preferences for name choices, but I think most of us can agree that sticking general audience shows that the whole family can watch under the label ADULT Swim just makes no GD sense. If this is truly the direction that WBD is planning to take this channel in, then they need to retire the Adult Swim name, period.

If a more mature-oriented Pokemon anime spinoff is made
Imma stop you right there. Pokemon is franchise designed to sell toys and games to kids and casual gamers. A TV-MA Pokemon series is about as likely to happen as Sesame Workshop greenlighting a Sesame Street snuff film.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
We all have our own personal preferences for name choices, but I think most of us can agree that sticking general audience shows that the whole family can watch under the label ADULT Swim just makes no GD sense. If this is truly the direction that WBD is planning to take this channel in, then they need to retire the Adult Swim name, period.
Hmm… and straying away from the initial mission of the channel, one that’s even in the name of the channel, to attract more advertisers? Good heavens, it’s CN Real all over again!

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
As long as Warner Discovery isn't running all ages, kid/family friendly shows under the Adult Swim banner, they can call the channel whatever they want. Personally, I think that Mike Lazzo had the right idea; Cartoon Network After Dark was a better name. The channel's moniker is part of the name, so the basic idea behind the channel isn't lost.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts