Adult Swim's New Kid-Friendly Direction

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
It is high when the target demo is children. Don't know what the story is for 2024.
It is much higher than what they historically aim for, but it’s where we are. I wonder what the median age for Disney and Nick are. The other day I saw some stupid boss baby sequel on Nick. It had the same kind of ads for tax preparation etc that you see on boomerang and AS. I think advertising for kids is being reduced even during kids programs. Parents have more money to spend than kids, and are more likely to be watching cable.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
That's a moot point because they aren't going to make anything Pokemon related that isn't family friendly. TV-14 or TV-MA Pokemon spinoff series are just not going to happen.
Pokemon has more adult fans than those in the target demographic a result of fans getting into it as kids and staying into it well into adulthood.

It's only a matter of time before something aimed at the adult fans is made.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Pokemon has more adult fans than those in the target demographic a result of fans getting into it as kids and staying into it well into adulthood.

There are plenty of adult Pokemon fans, but I don't know if they outnumber the target demographic, especially when it comes to the anime. I've seen kids playing Pokemon Go relatively recently and I've seen kids wearing Pokemon clothes, so it isn't like the franchise specifically just attracts long time fans now. They can have something aimed at adult fans and still be family friendly at the same time. You don't have to make something TV-14 or TV-MA to attract adult fans.

Besides all that, I still don't think TPCI would be willing to go in that direction. Pokemon as a franchise still has a more of an all-age/family friendly vibe that I don't think that they'd want to tamper with. If TPCI isn't willing to provide legal subs, which would be the easiest and cheapest way to appeal to adult fans of the anime, they aren't going to spend the time, money and resources on creating some dark and edgy spin-off series.

Conttactt

Saturday Toonami will start airing DBZ Kai next week so putting it in Friday primetime isn't very much of a risk. They're also airing Naruto Shippuden next Sunday (is classic Naruto a separate license?). But yes, getting Sailor Moon is big.
Kai will more than likely be removed from Saturday in the coming weeks, and at this point it’s obvious the only reason they picked the show back up was for this block. So DBZ, Sailor Moon and Naruto all licensed for this block. That’s huge dollars out the door, and that means they will expect to turn a profit quickly.

Light Lucario is right, TPC will never ever do anything adult oriented for Pokémon. That’s not their target demo and never will be. I don’t think they would ever even make something PG,

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
There are plenty of adult Pokemon fans, but I don't know if they outnumber the target demographic, especially when it comes to the anime. I've seen kids playing Pokemon Go relatively recently and I've seen kids wearing Pokemon clothes, so it isn't like the franchise specifically just attracts long time fans now. They can have something aimed at adult fans and still be family friendly at the same time. You don't have to make something TV-14 or TV-MA to attract adult fans.

Besides all that, I still don't think TPCI would be willing to go in that direction. Pokemon as a franchise still has a more of an all-age/family friendly vibe that I don't think that they'd want to tamper with. If TPCI isn't willing to provide legal subs, which would be the easiest and cheapest way to appeal to adult fans of the anime, they aren't going to spend the time, money and resources on creating some dark and edgy spin-off series.
This. A Pokémon series with a drastic demographic increase would be difficult. Pokémon at best can only be PG at most for it’s media. I don’t expect TPCI to make an uncut redub, or release the episode featuring guns.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
It is mind boggling that more adults watch the children's cartoons on Cartoon Network than the target audience and the median age is 29. The "big two" of Teen Titans Go and Gumball seem really kiddy, but something about them lets them appeal to adult viewers. Adult Swim's one attempt to air a Cartoon Network comedy cartoon that wasn't from the ancient era seemed to fail pretty hard. Anyone remember Adventure Time's brief failed airing on Adult Swim?

As for shonen titles, Inuyasha was fairly bloody (albeit with discolored blackish purplish blood). The dub also had a few swear words thrown in. It probably could have gotten a Y7 edit, but it seems like American censors then and now are strict on violence. Shonen titles can and do succeed on Adult Swim if they are edgy enough, but Case Closed, Moribito, and Kekkaishi were not edgy or cool enough.
We've been over this before, but Cartoon Network can't and shouldn't be nothing but action cartoons and anime. This may come as a shock, but some adults like animated comedies that aren't South Park or Family Guy. A cartoon doesn't need to be edgy in order to be enjoyed by adults; it just has to be good. Cartoon Network can't just be all Toonami all of the time. CN needs to appeal to a wider audience than just anime fans.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
We've been over this before, but Cartoon Network can't and shouldn't be nothing but action cartoons and anime.

I don't think anybody is arguing that. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe have a few adult fans but their "big 2" of Teen Titans Go and Gumball seem to be the two with the least adult appeal.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I don't think anybody is arguing that. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe have a few adult fans but their "big 2" of Teen Titans Go and Gumball seem to be the two with the least adult appeal.
The reason why Teen Titans GO and The Amazing World of Gumball get spammed on CN is because kids like them. It doesn't matter if they don't have adult appeal.Why do these need to go away just because they don't appeal to adults?

All ages includes kids. I don't see a problem with CN appealing to kids and adults equally. That's a better idea than trying to appear to Gen Z-ers and action anime fans exclusively.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
The reason why Teen Titans GO and The Amazing World of Gumball get spammed on CN is because kids like them. It doesn't matter if they don't have adult appeal.
Except DC fans and adults in general seem to like TTG when you don’t include the rabid hatedom, and Gumball is MASSIVE in meme culture. Sounds like adult appeal to me. (And yes, kids like em too.)

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Except DC fans and adults in general seem to like TTG when you don’t include the rabid hatedom, and Gumball is MASSIVE in meme culture. Sounds like adult appeal to me. (And yes, kids like em too.)
I agree 100%. The premise that TTG and Gumball aren't enjoyed by adults is erroneous. Adults are watching them. "Not having enough adult appeal" is not a good reason to want them gone. If there's something on CN that you personally don't care, then just don't watch it.

A series that appeals to both kids and adults is a good thing.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I agree 100%. The premise that TTG and Gumball aren't enjoyed by adults is erroneous. Adults are watching them. "Not having enough adult appeal" is not a good reason to want them gone. If there's something on CN that you personally don't care, then just don't watch it.
Nobody said that anybody wants them gone. I just find it kinda shocking that more adults than kids are watching Teen Titans Go despite how much hatred I see on the Internet for that show. I'm kinda indifferent to the show. It's a bizarre take on the Teen Titans, but if audiences like it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I don't care for TTG myself. The point I was trying to make was that a show doesn't need to be edgy in order to have mass appeal. Every show on CN can't be Batman or Cowboy Bebop.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't care for TTG myself. The point I was trying to make was that a show doesn't need to be edgy in order to have mass appeal. Every show on CN can't be Batman or Cowboy Bebop.
I really don't think anyone was arguing that every show on Cartoon Network has to be edgy or that it has to be full of anime to have mass appeal.

Francisque

Again, it's typical for older people to judge what modern kids should be watching and shouldn't be watching, with some "moral"

Let's just accept we aren't in the 90s, and like it or not, networks have to adapt; there's nothing wrong with Gumball and even TTG, even if admittedly overplayed

Not that, again, I'm justifying anything that WBD does

I really don't think anyone was arguing that every show on Cartoon Network has to be edgy or that it has to be full of anime to have mass appeal.
Well, I've seen some harsh criticism on shows like We Baby Bears

Even if it's not everyone's cup of tea, it should still be in the mix

Many kids like it and it is what it is

I'm not even personally that much of a fan of action shows (it depends), although they should of course be played

I'm a bit tired of assumptive behaviour though, more "light" kind of humour can also be good, actually very good content

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I've seen some harsh criticism on shows like We Baby Bears

Even if it's not everyone's cup of tea, it should still be in the mix

Many kids like it and it is what it is
I'm not saying otherwise. I don't think people here are arguing that comedic cartoons should be removed entirely from the channel.

harry580

yeah, I don't think a pokemon series targeted to adults would work, if adult swim want to do a adult version of Pokemon, they could always do a animated series based on palworld (Pokemon with guns) lol

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Let's just accept we aren't in the 90s, and like it or not, networks have to adapt; there's nothing wrong with Gumball and even TTG, even if admittedly overplayed

Not that, again, I'm justifying anything that WBD does
I'm not justifying WBD's actions either, but I don't think anybody here saying TTG and Gumball are bad at all. Like I said, it's just scheduling surrounding Gumball and TTG is what killed CN for a lot of people.

Let's just say for example. What was the greatest movie ever made? It's A Wonderful Life. No one is going to refute you that It's A Wonderful Life is one of the greatest movies ever made. However, if you put a TV channel, and all they were showing 24 hours a day of nothing but It's A Wonderful Life, people are going to get tired of watching it. They would rather watch something else. You know what I mean?

There's nothing wrong with Gumball and TTG, it's just we're tired of seeing those shows. We wanna see something else.
Something that AS, CN, and advertisers don’t seem to get.
Of course, they don't. They are run by out of touch executives who see animation as a childish medium. We've seen this time and time again.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts