Annoying Marvel Characters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey hey,

We've had Marvel animation for over 4 decades now, we've had some greate cartoons, like X-Men and Spider-Man, as well as terrible cartoons which never should have seen the light of day, like Spider-Man: Unlimited or The Avengers.

In the due course of all the shows, there's been some very annoying/cringeworthy characters we've had to endure. How are yours? Why do you hate them?

Mad Monkey 7

Ms.Lion. Nuff Said. I will answer more later.

Amazing Spidey said:
Hey hey,

We've had Marvel animation for over 4 decades now, we've had some greate cartoons, like X-Men and Spider-Man, as well as terrible cartoons which never should have seen the light of day, like Spider-Man: Unlimited or The Avengers.

In the due course of all the shows, there's been some very annoying/cringeworthy characters we've had to endure. How are yours? Why do you hate them?

Westlander

Morph (X-Men: TAS). They pulled this guy outta nowhere, gave him a really annoying voice and used to push the storyline on. Not a good idea.

Ssrn53

Westlander said:
Morph (X-Men: TAS). They pulled this guy outta nowhere, gave him a really annoying voice and used to push the storyline on. Not a good idea.
I don't think Morph was completely pulled out of nowhere. There was a character in the X-men comics called the Changeling which was very similar to Morph (same powers). I wouldn't be suprised if he was the basis for Morph. I personally don't have a problem with made up characters as long as they're good. Morph wasn't. His voice and especially his laugh had to go.

Annoying characters? Hmmm......She-Hulk, Gargoyle, 90's Spidey: Mary Jane, EVO: Brotherhood, EVO: Nightcrawler, EVO: Shadowcat, EVO Rogue, EVO: Too many to name. I give up.

Westlander

Ssrn53 said:
EVO: Brotherhood, EVO: Nightcrawler, EVO: Shadowcat, EVO Rogue, EVO: Too many to name. I give up.
Excuse me, WHAT?? This sounds like shouting "EVO sucks! It's totally stupid!"
Also, I doubt that She-Hulk was that bad. In every cartoon there's gotta be a wisecracking hero, that's a RULE (sometimes turning into a CLICHE). When green blockhead could only go "Rawr, Hulk smash!" and grey Hulk wasn't there at all, well...That called for a woman's touch.

Ssrn53

Westlander said:
Excuse me, WHAT?? This sounds like shouting "EVO sucks! It's totally stupid!"
Also, I doubt that She-Hulk was that bad. In every cartoon there's gotta be a wisecracking hero, that's a RULE (sometimes turning into a CLICHE). When green blockhead could only go "Rawr, Hulk smash!" and grey Hulk wasn't there at all, well...That called for a woman's touch.
Your excused.

Hmmm....Some will disagree with you here. She-Hulk was one reason the cartoon sucked and Grey Hulk was another. She-Hulk hasn't had a successful comic series yet (Many attempts though but they all failed) but the Green Blockhead has. I don't watch a Hulk cartoon to see She-Hulk. Her woman's touch ruined the show.

Wise cracking heroes are NOT A RULE. It's not becoming a cliche; it is a cliche. Batman:TAS did not have a wisecracking hero and it did just fine. Superman: TAS didn't have wisecracking hero either and it did well too. Sorry but that idea doesn't wash.

As for the "EVO Sucks!", "It's Totally Stupid!" ....You said it I didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider-Man

The animated version of She-Hulk was incredibly annoying. All that terribly written "sassy" dialogue made her harder to stomach than a three week old sandwich. Jubilee from X-Men: TAS was quite annoying at times too.

Westlander

Gargoyle (Hulk) and Bantam (X-Men: TAS). Whiny midgets are always irritating.
Batman:TAS did not have a wisecracking hero and it did just fine.
Well, Bats was sarcastic, that's enough for me.

ArtificialIdiot

Doktor Aies
Alfred had a very good dry wit as well. :)

Morph was EXTREMELY annoying! And also Bishop. I just hated Bishop's guts.

Madame Web in Spidey annoyed me as well. I know what Madame Web ultimatly set him up for was cool, but I like it more when Spidey is using his own inititive and skills to overcome something. Without a load of cryptic clues from an old crone.

And, I know people are going to hate me for this, but yeah, I found a lot of the Evo chars VERY annoying. However, I'm just going to stop there. I just don't watch it.

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
Probably, about almost all of the annoying characters were just from X-Men: Evolution. Nightcrawler from Evo was the most annoying character ever. He just didn't know when to quit with the jokes and wisecracks. Cyclops and Jean were annoying from Evo too. Scott's whole issue with jealousy got old too fast.

Annoying characters from X-Men: TAS were Bishop and the Nasty Boys, who worked for Mr. Sinister. Raucous was the worst, then Hairball and Gorgeous George.

The only annoying character from Spider-Man: TAS was the Rocket Racer.

-Kolbar

Eddie G.

Former Wolf/Writer.
Ssrn53 said:
She-Hulk hasn't had a successful comic series yet (Many attempts though but they all failed) but the Green Blockhead has.
Actually her current comic book is proving to be one of the best comic books on the market right now.

Anyway I still stand by my belief there are no bad characters... just bad writers, artists, and actors.

Cyc

While not a fan of her present comic series, I think She-Hulk isn't a complete loss cartoon wise. The Savage version seen in the 80's Hulk toon was pretty good, and if seen in only small doses the 90's toon version was okay, just that like many characters she was reduced into a annoying stereotype, wisecracking girl who likes being green as a counter point to Banner no liking it.

Cyc

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
She-hulk to hulk S2 is what batgirl was to the new adventues of batman. and it did not help they wrote ep`s for her like greena,warriors princess? The fashion warriors? Who wrote that stuff?:eek: Runied what could have ben a big hit whit stupid ideas.

Ssrn53

The Blue Wolf said:
Actually her current comic book is proving to be one of the best comic books on the market right now.
That's true. Right now. It's starting out with good sales (Issue 1 ranked 56) but it's not unusual for a new series to get high sales in the beginning. Too early I think to call it a successful series. Savage She-Hulk also did well in the beginning. How long will good sales continue and how long will the series last? That will be the deciding factor. I'm not saying it won't be a success but it's too early to call it a successful series right now.

Eddie G.

Former Wolf/Writer.
Ssrn53 said:
That's true. Right now. It's starting out with good sales (Issue 1 ranked 56) but it's not unusual for a new series to get high sales in the beginning. Too early I think to call it a successful series. Savage She-Hulk also did well in the beginning. How long will good sales continue and how long will the series last? That will be the deciding factor. I'm not saying it won't be a success but it's too early to call it a successful series right now.
Honestly I'm going to disregard how well it is selling, I'm concerned with the quaulity of the character and book which are top notch at the moment. Like I said there are no bad characters, saying She Hulk ruined the Hulk makes no sense. She Hulk is niether a producer or writer, it isn't her fault that she wasn't given good writers.

Ssrn53

The Blue Wolf said:
Honestly I'm going to disregard how well it is selling, I'm concerned with the quaulity of the character and book which are top notch at the moment. Like I said there are no bad characters, saying She Hulk ruined the Hulk makes no sense. She Hulk is niether a producer or writer, it isn't her fault that she wasn't given good writers.
It does make sense. She-Hulk is neither a producer or writer but she is a character in the series. A poorly written character can detract from the quality of a series. Therefore a poorly written character can ruin a series. Of course it isn't She-Hulk's fault if you want to be technical. She isn't even real. Right? Her character in this show was bad and together with other things ruined it. The Hulk didn't need She-Hulk to make the series work. The show wasn't even called the Hulk in the second season. They changed it to the "Hulk and She-Hulk". If She-Hulk is so popular they should have create another show for her. They even dumped Betty Ross to give She-Hulk more screen time. I don't know why they thought that would make the show better.

Anyway, does any of this change the fact that She-Hulk was annoying in this show? I don't think so.

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
Okay folks, let's try and stay ON-topic here and discuss what the title of the thread says, "Annoying Marvel Characters."

-Kolbar

Westlander

Kolbar, you reminded me of something...

Morbius (Spiderman: TAS) - "I am a vampire! I don't want to be a vampire! Felicia, I love you! I am dark and whiny like a teenage goth girl!" ad nauseum. Reminds me of my bad experiences with "Vampire: the Masquerade" players.

K

Kitty*Bertrand

a true statement westlander...

Quote:
Morbius (Spiderman: TAS) - "I am a vampire! I don't want to be a vampire! Felicia, I love you! I am dark and whiny like a teenage goth girl!" ad nauseum. Reminds me of my bad experiences with "Vampire: the Masquerade" players.

I tried that vampire the masquerade years ago, and you are very correct in your remark.lol

My pick for annoying would have to be from X-men TAS jubilee. I'm sorry but she always got on my nerves.

Westlander

Kitty*Bertrand said:
My pick for annoying would have to be from X-men TAS jubilee. I'm sorry but she always got on my nerves.
*squeak squeak*? Yep, she was annoying (like Kitty in Evo) but it fell in my tolerance range.
Kitty*Bertrand said:
I tried that vampire the masquerade years ago, and you are very correct in your remark.lol
Oh well, not only goth teens use the "suffering vampire" cliche. Writers do it too. Awwww.
ArtificialIdiot said:
And also Bishop. I just hated Bishop's guts.
Why? The Timekeeper was more irritating than Bishop if we're talking about those two. (Timekeeper is that idiot who was messing with Bishop on the Axis of Time. He made not only Bishop, but also you want to strangle him.)
ArtificialIdiot said:
Madame Web in Spidey annoyed me as well. I know what Madame Web ultimatly set him up for was cool, but I like it more when Spidey is using his own inititive and skills to overcome something. Without a load of cryptic clues from an old crone.
Oh yeah, old hag appearing out of nowhere. AFAIR she wasn't doing it in the comics at all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts