"Avengers: Doomsday" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't believe in Marvel anymore.

Edit:

Part of me understands the resistance to recasting. But protecting the integrity of the performance of Chadwick Boseman is a far cry from protecting the integrity of the performance of Jonathan Majors. I find it a bit obscene they are giving Majors the same privilege Boseman got.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't believe in Marvel anymore.

Edit:

Part of me understands the resistance to recasting. But protecting the integrity of the performance of Chadwick Boseman is a far cry from protecting the integrity of the performance of Jonathan Majors. I find it a bit obscene they are giving Majors the same privilege Boseman got.
Two different situations. Boseman passed away. Majors is in a legal/criminal situation - they're waiting to see what the final ruling from the judge/jury is.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Two different situations. Boseman passed away. Majors is in a legal/criminal situation - they're waiting to see what the final ruling from the judge/jury is.
Why? Why not just recast? His legal troubles are a bad look no matter what a jury says.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Why? Why not just recast? His legal troubles are a bad look no matter what a jury says.
If Marvel Studios recasts, he is declared not guilty in his trial (last I read it's at the end of the month?), he could have recourse to sue for wrongful termination. I think they're waiting for legal reasons, but ethically it's a bad look for them.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If Marvel Studios recasts, he is declared not guilty in his trial (last I read it's at the end of the month?), he could have recourse to sue for wrongful termination. I think they're waiting for legal reasons, but ethically it's a bad look for them.
Then why are they already moving away from Kang in their outlines? Why not wait? If he's found guilty, recast. If he's not, change the outline. I think the actual issue is Marvel actually believes audiences won't accept a recast. That's my theory. And the idea is stupid.

Also recasting is plenty common. Johnny Depp didn't sue Warner Bros for being recast in the last Fantastic Beasts film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Then why are they already moving away from Kang in their outlines?
Supposedly. It's not 100% confirmed.

Why not wait? If he's found guilty, recast. If he's not, change the outline. I think the actual issue is Marvel actually believes audiences won't accept a recast. That's my theory. And the idea is stupid.
Idk, seems like someone high up on the food chain in Marvel Studios or Disney made the call to wait it out. I feel like that's the latter for some reason. Imo, the longer they wait, the riskier it gets.

I don't think Marvel believes that. We're used to recasts at this point. Like with Rhodey and Hulk. Or with multiple people playing a character like Howard or Cassie. Plus, we've been given an in-universe "out," some variants and Earths' version can be played by different actors - like the Lokis in the Loki series or the Spider-Men seen in No Way Home. They could easily do that with Kang. Or even intro the original Kang, and he's played by a new actor e.g. Giancarlo Esposito.

Also recasting is plenty common. Johnny Depp didn't sue Warner Bros for being recast in the last Fantastic Beasts film.
I'll preface with I haven't followed it deeply from what I understand, WB and Depp met and he was okay with the choice to be let go without incident. Would the same outcome happen between Disney and Majors? Idk.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Why do they have to look alike? You think audiences actually believe this Kang fellow is real and on the big haunted screen in front of them and not an actor? Or are we all smart enough to understand random crap you can't control happens ALL the time in movie productions and just roll with it because we're not all idiots?

harry580

Why do they have to look alike? You think audiences actually believe this Kang fellow is real and on the big haunted screen in front of them and not an actor? Or are we all smart enough to understand random crap you can't control happens ALL the time in movie productions and just roll with it because we're not all idiots?
well sorry, I just don't understand kang so, no need to start a flame war on this

harry580

You don't have to understand Kang to understand actors sometimes need to be recast.
ok, I understand it, I mean, if warner bros learn that the hard way of Johnny Depp getting recast in fantastic beast, then the same thing will happen to kang

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I get a feeling there may be some hesitancy from Feige after what happened with Terrance Howard who was canned off the original Iron Man because of Ike Perlmutter's ultra racist/cheap attitude and doesn't want such a thing to happen again. Though yeah these are much different circumstances plus there's like a ton and million of different reasons why Kang could look different compared to how we see him before.

Maybe there's a Kang who finds out Loki becoming the holder of the multi verse and is trying to hide from the TVA to get that power so is thus appearing differently.

Point being if Majors is guilty and they don't want to go with him anymore you can still use Kang and not alter your plans that much. Like people understand Marvel is different then the studio who had to do cast chagnes before and would only do so if they absolutely had to not because of racist behinds the scenes BS.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
ok, I understand it, I mean, if warner bros learn that the hard way of Johnny Depp getting recast in fantastic beast, then the same thing will happen to kang
Johnny Depp getting recast was the LEAST of that franchise's problems. The final Fantastic Beasts film was a cesspool of drama and bad people, as well as a dreadful film in and of itself.

Point being if Majors is guilty and they don't want to go with him anymore you can still use Kang and not alter your plans that much. Like people understand Marvel is different then the studio who had to do cast chagnes before and would only do so if they absolutely had to not because of racist behinds the scenes BS.
While you are technically correct, (which is the best kind of correct) they don't even need to do that much. They could let the recasting go by uncommented on with no complaints. But the Multiverse angle probably makes it a no-brainer to do what you are saying.

in this case, turn kang into a cloud like they did with galactus in fantastic four
"Turn Kang into a cloud?"

"Forget it, he's trolling."

Goldstar!

All right-y!
name me a person that looks like majors that could replace majors
He doesn't necessarily have to look like Jonathan Majors. Just cast an African-American actor with a similar build to portray the character. The real challenge is to find another actor with Major's level of acting talent. Regardless of what you might think of Majors, the man was acting his ass off on Loki.

On a side note: I legitimately don't get why some so many people are dead set against recasting actors. They'd rather go back and undo months, perhaps years of story line in order to replace a character rather than simply get someone else to play them. I get some specific cases, it makes sense. I get why Disney/Marvel didn't recast Chadwick Boseman because he died and they didn't want to recast out of respect to his memory (although the Black Panther franchise suffered greatly without a T'Challa), but why can't Jonathan Majors be recast? I get that he's talented, but he's not a super huge star. Disney/Marvel could easily just cast Will Smith, Donald Glover or someone similar to play Kang. It was established that are numerous Kang variants out there and not all of the Loki variants looked like Tom Hiddleston.

Shifting the MCU's focus to Doctor Doom seems like a dumb move to me. For one, it's shallow. Fans would see right through that. For another, introducing Doctor Doom before the Fantastic Four just seems wrong to me.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts