Bleach 20th Anniversary Project & Tite Kubo New Work Presentation (News Thread)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
It's good to see Bleach back (and the animation in the trailer looks really good). Here's hoping for a quick dub turnaround.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Author Tite Kubo is interviewed regarding the anime.

The anime's director and producer are also interviewed.

The most interesting tidbit to me is Kubo saying that while the original anime was airing, sometimes he had to tone down the manga itself to be more in line with the anime censors, and that when the original anime was canceled, he was allowed to make the final manga arc more violent. He also implies that the final arc won't be censored in the anime.

Pronto

Since their including fights and story elements that weren't in the manga, I wonder how many episodes this will end up being. I also wonder if they will adapt the 20th anniversary chapter and some of the light novels. They could potentially churn out 2 years' worth of material depending on pacing and just how ambitious they are.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Hard to believe, but Disney has licensed a Shonen Jump property in Summer Time Rendering. You probably haven't heard of this show because they have appeared to put it in a Netflix style jail instead of simulcasting it to viewers outside of Japan (viewers in Japan are the only ones who can access it on their country's Disney+). This is kinda surprising as this is the kind of show it is (looks pretty violent, not Mickey Mouse stuff):

There is a degree of panic that Bleach will also be in Disney+ jail like Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter season 2, but Viz holds the license in America rather than Disney so at least Americans might be spared of Disney+ jail.

Dragnatek

Disney + recently added M rated TV shows and R rated movies to the service in the US and other countries have allowed that stuff on D+ for a while so if it ends up on Disney Plus in the USA there would be nothing to worry about.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The obvious lock would be Netflix or Crunchyroll nowadays to get it but does Hulu stream anime? I ask because I seem to recall at one point only Hulu had OPM season 2 for example.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Disney + recently added M rated TV shows and R rated movies to the service in the US and other countries have allowed that stuff on D+ for a while so if it ends up on Disney Plus in the USA there would be nothing to worry about.

The obvious lock would be Netflix or Crunchyroll nowadays to get it but does Hulu stream anime? I ask because I seem to recall at one point only Hulu had OPM season 2 for example.

I've been wondering if Disney intends to stream its licenses on Disney Plus or Hulu in the US. Hulu has a long history with anime, being perhaps the dominant platform for streaming anime in the early 2010s. Although Hulu has never licensed an anime directly, they did have a close relationship with Viz and had exclusive streaming rights to Sailor Moon Crystal. The original Bleach is streaming in sub and dub on Hulu. Considering Viz is the main licensor, I'm guessing that Bleach will hopefully not be locked into the same jail Summertime Rendering and the stuff Disney licensed went to. My theory is that Bleach will probably end up like Yashahime and stream on both Crunchyroll and Hulu. Original Bleach had its dub exclusive to Toonami until it finally went to streaming in 2017, but keeping a dub exclusive to cable really limits the audience when not even 300,000 people watch anime on Adult Swim. I also predict that the dub will premiere on streaming rather than cable just like Yashahime.

Gold Guy

Staff member
A lot of people on Twitter are super upset about the Bleach Disney+ rumor, but for the wrong reasons. Like others have said, D+ has TV-MA content now, so edits shouldn't be a problem. The real reason people should be upset is that, so far, none of the anime that have streamed on D+ elsewhere have gotten a simulcast in America - or any kind of release as of now, for that matter. With such a big show, I would hate to have to wait months for it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I quit DA yesterday due to storage reasons and Core blocking me from everything.
The arts thread here will continue as usual. :)
The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.

Featured Posts