Blog Talkback: Toons of the 2000s: Top 25 Animated Television Series Countdown #5-1

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
You know the thing about lists like these?

They're not going to be popular, but they're going to be an interesting conversation starter. Are we going to agree on every choice? Absolutely not. We're not machines. We're all going to have differing opinions. Heck, even when compiling this list, we all disagreed about the placement of certain shows. Some wanted King of the Hill, South Park, and Family Guy to be ranked higher. Some wanted them to be ranked lower. Some didn't want them on the list at all because they didn't exactly premiere in the 2000s.

Same deal with Spongebob Squarepants. Yeah, it's the biggest, most popular series of this decade, but it didn't premiere in this decade. It premiered in 1999, so it would make sense that a bulk of the list, primarily those at the top, reflected those shows that premiered in this decade.

And yeah, there were a few oversights, unintentional and intentional. Personally speaking, I love The Boondocks, Fillmore, The Weekenders, Clone High, The Spectacular Spider-Man, GitS: Stand Alone Complex, The Batman, and 6Teen and would have loved to seen Curious George, Jacob Two-Two, Ruby Gloom, Martha Speaks, Sons of Butcher, and a few others get some love, though a lot of shows didn't get any play in the US and some are written off because they're E/I. And some shows ranked higher or lower than most would expect, but that's reflective of the writers and such.

In the end, it is just a list. It may reflect your opinion, it may make you scream out loud. If your favorite show wasn't present, take solace that it ranked #26, barely missing the top 25.

That's where I'm placing Jacob Two-Two. Love that little mop-top kid who says everything twice.

Desensitized

Old School!
And El Tigre, WordGirl, and Phineas & Ferb? Seriously? That's what muscled out Death Note, Gurren Lagann, and Moral Orel?
Like Jeff said, funny thing about lists. None of these 6 would even make my top 25.

And most of us do believe Batman Beyond and TSSM to be that good, thank you very much. ;)

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
I'm surprised One Piece didn't make the list...everybody here is in love with it XD I knew Kim Possible would be in the list but that high is surprising.

Avatar deserves that spot for sure.

I don't see what's so wrong with a good E/I show that's not just pandering. I used to watch Cyberchase just because it was FUN!

*checks Wikipedia* Yup toon in this decade...heh.

And yeah, there were a few oversights, unintentional and intentional. Personally speaking, I love The Boondocks, Fillmore, The Weekenders, Clone High, The Spectacular Spider-Man, GitS: Stand Alone Complex, The Batman, and 6Teen and would have loved to seen Curious George, Jacob Two-Two, Ruby Gloom, Martha Speaks, Sons of Butcher, and a few others get some love, though a lot of shows didn't get any play in the US and some are written off because they're E/I. And some shows ranked higher or lower than most would expect, but that's reflective of the writers and such.

In the end, it is just a list. It may reflect your opinion, it may make you scream out loud. If your favorite show wasn't present, take solace that it ranked #26, barely missing the top 25.

That's where I'm placing Jacob Two-Two. Love that little mop-top kid who says everything twice.

You should have done a piece of Canadian animation then Jeff :). Japan got one and we produce more stuff per-capita than they do >.>

With the Total Drama series showing up folks in the US seem to have just realised Canadian Animation exists! Ah!

Sorry about being opiniated about that :sweat:

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
The Venture Bros.: My favorite currently running show period. This is an amazing show. It's not just hilarious, but it's also full of excellent characters and stories. More animated series need to be like this show. Definitely deserves its place so close to the top.

Kim Possible: This was a fun series. This was the last Disney series I ever really watched and I never saw the final season. I followed this show for years and loved so many moments, but I didn't see the last ones...

Samurai Jack: Perfect, it only lacks a true ending.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
: And here's the last Cartoon Network series I followed. This show is great from start to finish. Comedy that was way smarter that what ever other Cartoon Network show was on. Style and great characters to boot.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Too much to say, so I won't. Simply amazing, too bad the live-action movie probably won't.

SpideyFan914

Greatest Poster Ever!
Wait, if American Dad! was supposed to be tied with Family Guy, shouldn't they have wound up in 6th and 7th place? Now I'm confused - how exactly was this scored?

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Too much to say, so I won't. Simply amazing, too bad the live-action movie probably won't.
Yeah, that came out today. Anyone know how the reviews went?
I know it's gonna be horrid, but I'm gonna see it anyway. :sweat:

CartoonOverlord

Head of HATE
Wait, if American Dad! was supposed to be tied with Family Guy, shouldn't they have wound up in 6th and 7th place? Now I'm confused - how exactly was this scored?

Yeah, that came out today. Anyone know how the reviews went?
I know it's gonna be horrid, but I'm gonna see it anyway. :sweat:
Wrong movie, that's James Cameron's Avatar.

Dudley

Staff member

Did I say suppose to be? I meant it was going to be. But I guess nakak decided against it.

CaptainHero

Save Yourselves!
Also of note:
American Dad was going to tie with Family Guy.
Morel Orel was originally going to take the 16th spot, but was taken out near the last minute since none of the participating mods could write an article for it.

Hope you don't mind me asking but why did you guys take American Dad out of the running? Did some people not think it was worthy of tying Family Guy?

And how come nobody could write an article for Moral Orel? That show certainly had quite a lot of irreverence and social commentary in it, it was pretty ferocious at times, find it strange nobody had anything to say about it at all.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
Overall, 25 is too small a number for a decade. 100 would be the standard.

I think the staff would have lost their marbles if they had to do 100, what with difference of opinions. I know I would if I had to debate why "series X" deserves a spot over "series Y" or why it deserve to be on the list.

Taekmkm

Ribbit
At the end of an era, cameos seem more wanted and appropriate, what with most of the discussion on shows missed out on what was in hindsight a very productive decade.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Hope you don't mind me asking but why did you guys take American Dad out of the running? Did some people not think it was worthy of tying Family Guy?
Well, there were a lot of factors, but mostly because there were biases on both ends, particularly from those critical of Seth MacFarlane. There was also a majority that felt that American Dad was too much of a derivative of Family Guy. Personally speaking, it was an unfortunate omission to say the least. Of the three shows Seth has on the air, I think American Dad is the best. It's just that Family Guy is the more higher-profile series of the three.

And how come nobody could write an article for Moral Orel? That show certainly had quite a lot of irreverence and social commentary in it, it was pretty ferocious at times, find it strange nobody had anything to say about it at all.
I don't speak for Toonzone. I speak for myself. I didn't have enough time recently. Been trying to find steady work and put a lot of concentration on finding it. I'm a substitute teacher now, so, that's why I've been nearly invisible as of late.

I liked Moral Orel.

As a Christian, I was a little offended by certain aspects of the series, but I was also entertained by it, largely because it did skew a lot of the stereotypes of religious individuals. Plus, I actually know and break bread with folks like that. Orel was probably one of the decade's purest characters aside from Spongebob, and to see him transform from an optimistic kid loving everything about the world to one who realized the world isn't as perfect as he thought and saw his father for what he really was, a selfish jerk not really adhering to the laws he forced his son to follow, was jarring and actually pretty powerful for a cartoon that's supposed to be just for laughs. The series transformation into an animated drama was shocking and well-played.

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
I think the staff would have lost their marbles if they had to do 100, what with difference of opinions. I know I would if I had to debate why "series X" deserves a spot over "series Y" or why it deserve to be on the list.

Well you could have just given us the 'Best 100 Shows of the Decade' but in no particular order. Order seems to be the sticking point. Maybe put them in alphabetical order or some semi-random ones? Heck just keep the top 5 in a specific order.

Bryan

News/Schedules
Staff member
Reporter
NICKTOON- 5
ADULT SWIM- 5
ANIME- 4
CN- 3
DISNEY- 2

If you are ranking the Top 25 by U.S. original broadcast network, the numbers come out to:

Adult Swim - 6
Cartoon Network - 6
Nickelodeon - 5
FOX - 3
Disney Channel - 2
Comedy Central - 1
Syfy - 1
PBS - 1

Each series ranks as such:
1. AVATAR - Nickelodeon
2. FOSTER'S HOME - Cartoon Network
3. SAMURAI JACK - Cartoon Network
4. KIM POSSIBLE - Disney Channel
5. THE VENTURE BROS. - Adult Swim
6. FAMILY GUY - FOX
7. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS - Nickelodeon
8. FUTURAMA - FOX
9. FLAPJACK - Cartoon Network
10. ROBOT CHICKEN - Adult Swim
11. FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST - Adult Swim
12. INVADER ZIM - Nickelodeon
13. PHINEAS AND FERB - Disney Channel
14. SAMURAI CHAMPLOO - Adult Swim
15. MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM 00 - Syfy (originally Sci-Fi)
16. PARANOIA AGENT - Adult Swim
17. JUSTICE LEAGUE - Cartoon Network
18. DANNY PHANTOM - Nickelodeon
19. WORDGIRL - PBS
20. SOUTH PARK - Comedy Central
21. TEEN TITANS - Cartoon Network
22. CHOWDER - Cartoon Network
23. HOME MOVIES - UPN/Adult Swim
24. EL TIGRE - Nickelodeon
25. KING OF THE HILL - FOX

Craig Crumpton

This is a close-up?
There was also a majority that felt that American Dad was too much of a derivative of Family Guy.
QFT. While I personally enjoy American Dad more than FG (it doesn't rely as heavily on the random cutaway flashback), it is derivative. The characters have some basic similarities that sometimes it feels like I'm watching a fantasy ep of FG.

But the "Tearjerker" episode was just plain animated comedy brilliance. I'd dismissed the show a little too quickly in the first season, and after seeing "Tearjerker" I've gone back to see what I missed.

Interesting list. My biggest surprise: "The Simpsons" didn't make the list at all. Guess "the show that's better than 99% of everything else on TV even on an off-episode and is still just as good on its 20th season as its first" isn't anymore... :p
Now that you mention it, that *is* surprising. I haven't watched much Simpsons in this decade though, so I couldn't really say whether it "hit its stride" in this decade or the 90s.

As for Avatar #1, guess I'd disagree with that one----I'd put SpongeBob in the top slot (a show that's easily this decade's most popular cartoon, and a show that even my parents have heard of [definitely not Avatar]). Though granted, if influence is a factor, guess could see why Avatar would get the top ranking, as it seems more typical of a 2000s cartoon (anime / anime-influenced, action-based) than SpongeBob is (being a throwback to slapstick cartoons like Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, etc. with little or nothing in common with the majority of 2000s cartoons, and oddly, few attempting to rip off its style, awfulness of "Coconut Fred" aside; guess TV producers were too tied to the idea of live-action or "human kid goes to school" genre to even occur to them to take tips from the Sponged One...).
As others have said, general "popularity" should not have been a deciding factor in placement. Don't get me wrong -- I love me some SpongeBob, and I really enjoy *the real* Avatar but I've missed a lot of episodes and it's the sort of series that really must be viewed in sequence.

But Avatar has something that SpongeBob definitely doesn't have: deeper character development and complex story arcs. Based on those grounds, I'd say Avatar overall ranks higher.

I'm surprised One Piece didn't make the list...everybody here is in love with it
I'm here, and I'm not. Can't really explain why I don't care for it. It just didn't appeal to me, which is odd because I love pirates.

I might give it another chance at some point, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the dub. But it wasn't that I didn't care for the dub voices -- I just didn't like watching it dubbed.

ISorry about being opiniated about that :sweat:
Never apologize for being opinionated. Unless you live in China.

Like Jeff said, funny thing about lists. None of these 6 would even make my top 25.

And most of us do believe Batman Beyond and TSSM to be that good, thank you very much. ;)
The more I think about what I said earlier about Batman Beyond not really *hitting its stride* in this decade (as was the key requirement for nominees), the more I think I'm wrong. Granted, the last ep was a bland and anti-climactic way to end the series. But there were some great eps that aired between 2000-01, and this show was the springboard for Justice League and Zeta (and both took place in this decade). And the closure that Batman Beyond was finally given in Justice League Unlimited's "Epilogue" is to me one of the most deftly-crafted episodes in all of the DCAU.

That being said, I think Batman Beyond should have at least ranked in the top 20, though not as high as JL/JLU.

Wait, isn't Clone High live-action? 'Cause that would explain it.... Unless I'm wrong....
Not live-action.

Samurai Jack: Haven't seen it. But I'm guessing: ACTION. COMEDY.
If you haven't seen it, you shouldn't attempt to label it. It was not a comedy. It was a fantasy/sci-fi/action/drama with comedic elements.

Ranting Swede

Hi, I'm the new guy. Wanted to share my thoughts about the list. I think it's a very good list, although I not always agree with the ranking. Places 10-6 made me seriously worried! I mean "Robot Chicken" has without a doubt great animation to offer, but most of the time it's just "popculture characters say or do obscene things". I still like the Star Wars specials, though. And as mentioned before, the animation is great!
And then even "Family Guy" made the top 10. MacFarlane's shows always aim for the most obvious jokes and if they wanna do something different, they just stretch one joke out to 5 minutes. I can't see anything that makes this show Top 10 or even Top 25 worthy. Neither the humor, nor the animation. Yes, it solves as the posterboy for the un-cancelled show, but apart from that...nah, sorry.
The Top 5 really satisfied me a lot. Okay, I'm seriously not a fan of "Avatar". I watched the first season, but then gave up on it. The "epic" story was too predictable, the stand-alone episodes where pretty dumb, the characters were boring and the animation was outside of the fightscenes not really satisfying. (My sister also hates the arrow on his head, but I think this goes a little bit too far.:sweat:)
On the other hand, it had "The Venture Bros", the one show that is way too good for Adult Swim. I recently re-watched all 4 1/2 seasons during the course of three days and even in it's early "just another popculture show"-days, it was funnier than any other show now. Not too mention that the Season 3 finale should have been nominated for an Emmy!
"Kim Possible", a constantly funny and entertaining show, with beautiful animation, lovable characters (Yes, Kim might be "perfect", but she was way too sympathetic to dismiss the show because of that.) and inspired voice work. Even the two or three weak episodes have enough re-watch value!
"Samurai Jack", the one show that seriously brought art into the TV cartoons. Simply breathtaking and it even managed to make every episode feel fresh.
And of course "Foster's", whith its creative character design, hilarious jokes and imaginative (It's a cliche, but no pun intended) scripts. Seriously, if you don't like that show, you don't have a heart and definitely have no appreciation for animation! (No offense.)
Like I said, it's a good list. I don't always agree with the ranking (especially not with #1), but I would say that at least 21 of the listed shows deserved to be on it without a doubt.

Have a nice day.

Ranting Swede

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
I'm here, and I'm not. Can't really explain why I don't care for it. It just didn't appeal to me, which is odd because I love pirates.

I might give it another chance at some point, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the dub. But it wasn't that I didn't care for the dub voices -- I just didn't like watching it dubbed.

I'm not into it either. I sometimes feel like I'm missing something since the later stuff seems pretty coold but then folks tell me 'You have to get to the Arlong arc before it gets really good' or crap like that and I'm like 'no way I'm wasting the first three arc (or so) just getting to the good part!'.

Seriously folks say you have to give Digimon Savers 13 episode to get to the 'good part' and that Gintama gets less episodic after 30 episode... that's a FRICKIN' LONG TIME people! 13 episode is a three monthes half season people! I can't excuse a show no hooking me in the first three episode, no matter how awesome it gets later it has to grab my interest right there, make me care about the characters. I don't have enouh time in a day to waste on getting through the 'set up' part.

Taekmkm

Ribbit
Then just...skip to the good part and wiki what you're missing. That's pretty much how most people watch something mid-way.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
You know I am a bit shocked at the lack of the Simpsons as it probably had some of it's best episodes this decade (and some of it's worst but let's not get into that). American Dad should have made the list as well IMO but ah well.

Nice to see Spectacular Spider-Man was at least in the running, sad to see TMNT was not.

I think perhaps the best course of action for those discontent with the list would be to make another thread where they can post their top series of the decade or a thread to post their top series of the decade that didn't make the list. Not another vote off thread though just your favorites and why. I'm thinking of doing a list of my favorite 10 action toons, favorite 10 comedy toons and favorite 5 drama toons (they DO exist afterall, just not that often).

Urusei Yatsura

The Revolutionist
Hi, I'm the new guy. Wanted to share my thoughts about the list. I think it's a very good list, although I not always agree with the ranking. Places 10-6 made me seriously worried! I mean "Robot Chicken" has without a doubt great animation to offer, but most of the time it's just "popculture characters say or do obscene things". I still like the Star Wars specials, though. And as mentioned before, the animation is great!
And then even "Family Guy" made the top 10. MacFarlane's shows always aim for the most obvious jokes and if they wanna do something different, they just stretch one joke out to 5 minutes. I can't see anything that makes this show Top 10 or even Top 25 worthy. Neither the humor, nor the animation. Yes, it solves as the posterboy for the un-cancelled show, but apart from that...nah, sorry.
The Top 5 really satisfied me a lot. Okay, I'm seriously not a fan of "Avatar". I watched the first season, but then gave up on it. The "epic" story was too predictable, the stand-alone episodes where pretty dumb, the characters were boring and the animation was outside of the fightscenes not really satisfying. (My sister also hates the arrow on his head, but I think this goes a little bit too far.:sweat:)
On the other hand, it had "The Venture Bros", the one show that is way too good for Adult Swim. I recently re-watched all 4 1/2 seasons during the course of three days and even in it's early "just another popculture show"-days, it was funnier than any other show now. Not too mention that the Season 3 finale should have been nominated for an Emmy!
"Kim Possible", a constantly funny and entertaining show, with beautiful animation, lovable characters (Yes, Kim might be "perfect", but she was way too sympathetic to dismiss the show because of that.) and inspired voice work. Even the two or three weak episodes have enough re-watch value!
"Samurai Jack", the one show that seriously brought art into the TV cartoons. Simply breathtaking and it even managed to make every episode feel fresh.
And of course "Foster's", whith its creative character design, hilarious jokes and imaginative (It's a cliche, but no pun intended) scripts. Seriously, if you don't like that show, you don't have a heart and definitely have no appreciation for animation! (No offense.)
Like I said, it's a good list. I don't always agree with the ranking (especially not with #1), but I would say that at least 21 of the listed shows deserved to be on it without a doubt.

Have a nice day.

Ranting Swede

How can you accurately judge Avatar if you only saw 1/3 of it? I have nothing wrong with you disliking it, but you haven't seen the great stuff. The animation and story improves tenfold in season two... Oh well, can't please everyone.

I don't like how people are saying "It's popularity and impact alone should make it in the top 3."
So in your statement you ignore mentioning it's quality, characters, animation, plot? - Of which is more important than popularity?

Now I'm actually glad Avatar made 1. :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts