C&C - Rick and Morty: The Anime Talkback (Dub & Sub) (Spoilers)

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
Mr. Horse: "No sir, I didn't like it."

Not sure what I was expecting here. I was never a fan of regular Rick and Morty, so expecting some mediocre anime adaptation of the original material to entertain me was a big ask. Even with my lowered expectations this disappointed me by just how incoherent the story was. Skipping around a narrative's timeline and expecting the audience to piece together what happened is one of the hardest storytelling techniques to execute well, and the team behind this show are not up to it. The animation was adequate, not terrible, but rather forgettable. The most obvious difference here was several perspective choices favored by Japanese animators and a lighter, brighter pastel color palette that you typically see in modern anime productions.

I may give this show one more shot next week but Rick and Morty: The Anime could be the worst of the AS original anime yet. It commits the worst sin any piece of entertainment can commit: it bores you to tears and is promptly forgotten afterwards.

Last edited:

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
I see Turner is now copyright striking video reviews of the show that use clips. Harsh enforcement of copyright is one thing they have in common with anime producers. The review is unwatchable now; but the main criticisms were the story being all over the place with no coherent plot, the art style, how it has little humor outside of a couple of Jerry jokes, and Rick and Morty don’t really interact.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I see Turner is now copyright striking video reviews of the show that use clips.
He did use 24 seconds worth of footage. Maybe that was the issue - is there a clear rule of how much of an episode's footage can be used in a review video on YouTube?

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
He did use 24 seconds worth of footage. Maybe that was the issue - is there a clear rule of how much of an episode's footage can be used in a review video on YouTube?
Oddly, it seems to actually be an issue with the Ninja Batman footage used even more briefly!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oddly, it seems to actually be an issue with the Ninja Batman footage used even more briefly!
Wow, that's a bit much. I've heard that YouTube had become very stringent and operate on the mandate of guilty until proven innocent but 6 seconds? Yeesh.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
There are loads of "CGI mechs ruined Ninja Kamui" videos on Youtube that use plenty of footage. Adult Swim hasn't been using copyright strikes to silence criticism of their originals. Suicide Squad Isekai reviews with footage are also easy to find, so Warner doesn't consistently censor reviews with footage. Being okay with Ninja Kamui or Suicide Squad Isekai footage being used in negative reviews but not Batman Ninja footage in a Rick and Morty review is a weird inconsistency.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1724337993556.png

Episode 2
Fighting Mother
Thursday 8/22 at 12:00 AM (Dub)/Saturday 8/24 at 12:00 AM (Sub)
1724338052137.png

Synopsis: It's life mostly as usual for the Smith family; Rick relaxes in a pseudo-world between multiverses, Summer helps space Beth fight the evil Galactic Federation, and Morty falls in love with a mysterious girl; and they're all an anime.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Let's hope this week's makes more sense than last week's.

"Everything's twisting!"
Still? From last week?

Nobodyman

Previously on R&M The Anime: Virtual reality was never this...confusing.

Guess Summer is assuming the assistant/communications officer role for this series.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
So there's the Target. Is there a Best Buy near there?

What is a collective of Ricks called?

70s Anime Samurai Rick?

Nobodyman

Nothing like an anime opening sung by a squeaky-voiced girl.

That ship has a weenie.

Huh. Young Morty and Summer. Something we've strangely never seen in the original show.

Younger Rick was stepping out to get some milk and cigarettes.

Early commercial break. Sure.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Scan more of those Federation soldiers' faces and you can trade in the points for a gift card.

When does this take place in the show's continuity? Is this even canon?

...did Rick just spontaneously combust?

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Oh hai anime Tammy.

Hey, no need to insult Valve.

How many Ricks are there in this episode?

Is Tammy pregnant? Was that the implication?

It's the David Keith president, minus David Keith.

Gum-Gum Gatling!

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Rick parkour.

And now we're in the Amazon.

Why does the president sound like Uncle Ruckus?

Go go Gadget plot point?

And now we're in Blue Submarine No. 6.

Yep, we're going the confusing route again.

Nobodyman

"We're better off not solving the energy crisis anyway."
Well, God knows you've made barely any progress so far.

Credits already?

And there's her husband and daughter who may or may not be illusions, I guess.

Well, that was a short episode.

I guess this one marginally made more sense...maybe?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Fighting Mother" - You would think that technically this episode actually having more action scenes plus technically not being as confusing as the last episode would make it superior to the premiere but this one rubs me the wrong way by bringing up something that just really takes me out of the premise of this show; by plainly making it be that we are following the Rick and Morty cast of the regular show, and not an ORIGINAL R&M crew made up from this series.

Now this is something reseeing the opening of that Genocider I guess was a part of the original shorts pitch and to be fair this is also a problem with the comics as well that started by focusing on a different Rick and Morty but eventually became the one from the show which... okay tangent time; that is a stupid idea for EVERY Spinoff of Rick and Morty not written by the actual regular animated crew and is their own production house studio. I get that you want to go with the continuity and the most famous locales but you AREN'T that specific take on the property and ARE your own thing with your own feel and own way of telling stories. You need to OWN it and take advantage of the fact Rick and Morty lives in an infinite multiverse that allows you to get away with having so many duplicates and takes around. Even if you want to use characters like Space Beth that's a constant enough to be in different universes but actually focusing on the main universe just makes the fact you're doing these different scenarios with these specific take on the characters not work.

For instance why would Rick care that ANOTHER version of him is abandoning and leaving behind Beth when Morty's a baby? Apparently this is suppose to take between season 5 and 6 where it's clear to the family Rick cares about them but Rick does NOT care about Beths and Mortys and Summers that he doesn't have ANY attachment to whatsoever and is fine just leaving them so why is Rick C-137 angrily fighting this alternate Rick? If this was suppose to be a different Rick fine the personalities don't have to match up 100% but that is not the case for the Rick from the regular show so to try and make some serious point feels off. And if this is suppose to be the regular canon universe, why the hell is Tammy alive? Like I thought it was stupid that they didn't play "Star Rick; Rickturn of Jerri" before this episode if they were dealing with Space Beth and the Tammy fight and the Galactic Federation just like that episode did since yeah AS isn't playing the regular Rick and Morty repeat run tonight before this episode premiered so why have the season 3 finale before this? Is it because of the president because no he didn't matter in this one it was about the fight with Space Beth and Tammy but... Tammy DIED in the regular universe. That was something they made clear and maybe if they tried establishing she had some sort of "phoenix" overright that'd be one thing but the show made clear she was totally DEAD and not coming back so like if this is the prime universe why is she back? And even if she is alive, why the hell does Space Beth care if she's also a mother and lets her go? That doesn't make any sense for her character who is about protecting the universe and only caring about her family. Also the others don't even know about Bird Person even having a kid till like the season 7 premiere anyway. Also quite frankly unless we were given time to know her motivations and why she was so loyal to the federation and if she truly loved Bird Person deeply (not just a memory of him thinking she did) I feel it's off trying to redeem her so that ending with her and Bird person and her kid like... that just feels totally off for her character as well.

I guess the action scenes were good in how Space Beth used her grapples and taking out the various bugs and Rick and Alternate Rick phasing through different terrains was fine in ice and magma (you know the Sonic Boom game also did that but it made more sense there sadly enough) and I did like the joke about Morty being bummed about his video game and Space Beth being non plussed Rick was in trouble but... yeah that was it. Still a really weak episode and a super short one too. Seriously was that... 16 minutes including credits? Like I know sometimes anime episodes can be super stretched out but that's usually more long form ones to stretch out content from the manga but like this is one original supposed 10 episode story why in the hell is this one so short? There was like they easily could have used to expand some elements to make more sense but I guess this show and making sense don't really go together that well. *Sighs* You know again I don't think R&M jumped the shark or started sucking after season 2 like so many doom and gloom reviewers think and again feel there have been weaker episodes far back as the first season and there are great episodes in 6 and 7 but man the people who rag on this I totally get behind because it is not good regardless of whether or not you like R&M. It's not like it's this deep really intorspective series on it's own and if you are a fan it doesn't feel like Rick and Morty anyway so it's existence gets harder and harder to really justify.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
After seeing the god-awful Space Beth vs Tammy battle animation sequence, I was like,

"Yeah, I'm out."

Screenshot 2024-08-12 234856.png

The second episode is worse than the first. The animation is trash. The plot is just so boring. I feel like I'm watching a bad Rick and Morty fanfiction. Even fanifc writers from Fanfiction.net will disowned this crap. Coming from someone who is not a fan of Rick and Morty anyway, the anime adaptation just reeks corporate cynicism and pure desperation by Adult Swim and Toonami.

All I'm gonna say is even if the show does get more "interesting" (for a lack of better word), I have no interest in checking out more of this show. It's bad.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts