C&C - Rick and Morty: The Anime Talkback (Dub & Sub) (Spoilers)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
Another pretty poor episode. It was very short, and just random stuff happening. It wasn’t funny, and the action sequences were poorly animated.

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
This episode was so abbreviated that the Genocider short had to be aired to fill in the gap, and it still managed to bore me to the point that I almost fell asleep. This is bad, folks. Those FLCL sequels were Tolstoy compared to this dreck. The plot is incoherent and Morty barely interacts with Rick, which is supposed to be the central focus of the show. And I'll echo the other posters here, the animation is terrible. Just completely lifeless and lacking in impact. Seems like this show was made on a shoestring budget, which does not bold well for the future of other Adult Swim anime originals. I mean, if even a Rick and Morty spinoff is getting shafted, what are we to expect from the other upcoming projects?

I'm out, and I'm normally never out, but there is a limit to how much low-effort cash-in trash I can stomach. Sorry if you like this show, but this may be the worst anime I've ever watched on Adult Swim since The Candidate for Goddess back in 2002.

Last edited:

JMTV

Tater Tot!
The episode was so short that the Genocider short had to be aired to fill in the gap, and it still managed to bore me so much that I almost fell asleep.
Yeah, it was just stopped out of nowhere. Usually, Rick and Morty standard episode runtime is about 22 minutes. This lasted for 16 minutes. Why? Were the writers on crunch time or they are just running out of things to fit in the last 4 minutes and quit in post? Either way, having two alternate Ricks fighting for whatever reason and have Morty crying over that Ellie girl or whatever is not good storytelling. That's the equivalent of giving your audience NyQuill because it is that BORING!!!

Hell, even the short is no better either. It's like I don't care anymore lol I'd rather watch Tig n Seek over this anyday of the week.
Those FLCL sequels were Tolstoy compared to this dreck.
And you know what? I'm going as far to say that High Guardian Spice is Miyazaki compared to this POS. As bad as that show was, at least High Guardian Spice look pleasing to eye, even if this show look like it would've belong on Cartoon Network. But this?! This is just an eyesore.
The plot is incoherent and Morty barely interacts with Rick, which is supposed to be the central focus of the show.
Yeah, when I saw that, I always said this so many times, "WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HELL DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH RICK AND MORTY?!"
And I'll echo the other posters here, the animation is terrible.
Have ya'll seen the battle scene between Tammy and Space Beth? I have to cover my eyes when I saw that in motion. That's how bad it is.
Just completely lifeless and lacking in impact.
That's an understatement. Lifeless would've implied if the show actually had a soul. This just had no soul.
Seems like this show was made on a shoestring budget,
Knowing William Street, I wouldn't be surprised if the show was made on a shoestring budget. It's like William Street was made this show to be intentionally bad.
which does not bold well for the future of other Adult Swim anime originals.
I don't want to fearmonger, but I really hope it doesn't affect other Toonami/Adult Swim Action originals going forward because if it did,.....(sighs), I don't know what to say.
I mean, if even a Rick and Morty spinoff is getting shafted, what are we to expect from the other upcoming projects?
Not that much TBQH. Rick and Morty has become a joke of a franchise in recent years, I don't think the anime adaptation is going to save the franchise's reputation in the slightest.
I'm out, and I'm normally never out, but there is a limit to how much low-effort cash-in trash I can stomach.
I don't blame you.
Sorry if you like this show,
If you guys actually do like this show, you don't need to get a justification from me to enjoy whatever the heck you want to enjoy. Look, I like a lot of garbage that people like you probably don't like. And you know what? That's okay because I don't need your permission to justify me liking something, just like you don't need my permission on justifying on why you liking this horsecrap.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You don't need to have an higher IQ to understand that not everybody like Rick and Morty and the fact that Adult Swim and Toonami are pushing this anime so hard that it feels like a cynical cash grab. Especially considering that its parent company wrote off Final Space yet this crap gets greenlight.

To all those people that I shouldn't judge this show based on one episode, kiss my ass, because first impressions matter. If this show doesn't impress me, then I have no interest in sticking around, period. That's why I stopped watching Kiff and Hamster and Gretel after two episodes. So Rick and Morty in no different.

Like I said, if you like Rick and Morty anime, that's perfectly fine, enjoy it and have fun. I personally think it's a terrible show.
but this may be the worst anime I've ever watched on Adult Swim since The Candidate for Goddess back in 2002.
Oooooooooo.......yikes. When you are being compared to Pilot Candidate, and that's from the early days of Adult Swim Action, you know you done goofed up.

Last edited:

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
Pilot Candidate/Candidate for Goddess is better than this. It is true the plot was unoriginal and went nowhere, the characters were unlikeable, there was strange and unnecessary censorship, dated CGI, the inexplicable catgirl, and the English acting was poorly directed. Still, for the most part, you can tell what’s going on in Pilot Candidate, and a lot of the problems are more with the then unfinished source material manga than choices the anime made. Mitsuru Hongo is a pretty capable director who did Outlaw Star and IGPX anime, and he did his best with a manga where the characters just train the whole time. I read the manga recently and it’s even worse than the anime.

With this Rick and Morty anime, the source material is one of the most popular cartoons of all time. Yet, it completely lacks anything that made the original series popular. Instead of being doomed by being an adaptation of a mediocrity, it is doomed by being an adaptation of a hit series that completely lacks the source material’s charm. The humor of the original series is totally absent. The plots feel disconnected from each other, and even if Rick and Morty interact more later, they’re currently just doing their own things. The plot is incoherent, and the animation is so bad that it can’t begin to make up for it. If you’re going to focus on fight scenes, you can’t have them be unwatchable. Plus you need some reason to care about these characters fighting. They don’t really look, sound, or act like in the source material, so they can’t really just coast off good will from the original show.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It is quite amazing that the optimism Toonami fans had towards the originals after Ninja Kamui came out and had some awesome 2D fight scenes has been poofed away. Really, Ninja Kamui is looking like a fluke anomaly. The vast majority of Toonami originals have been visually mediocre to downright ugly, but Rick and Morty: the Anime reached a new low in its look. Studio DEEN has a reputation as the worst anime studio, but this makes seasons 3-4 of Seven Deadly Sins look immaculately beautiful in comparison. I know that Lazarus will be done by the hottest anime studio in MAPPA, but the fact that it will be a Toonami original dampens most enthusiasm. Toonami originals, even the ones with defenders like Ninja Kamui, have all gotten lots of hate, but the vitriol towards Rick and Morty: the Anime is the biggest I've ever seen. As bad as the FLCL sequels were, they probably didn't get this amount of hate as they came out long past the original's prime. Rick and Morty is still one of the biggest adult comedy cartoons around and a crappy Japanese studio made a weird action/drama version of the show without the comedy. This appears to be the new rock bottom of the Toonami originals line and the first to be as bad as Crunchyroll's worst originals, Ex Arm and Gibiate.

aegisrawks

This thread is just so epic, so much criticism of Rick and Morty The Anime and all are hard hitting and well thought out, not an swearing fest like The Nostalgia Critic.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
One thing I am thinking about is a possible tone they could and probably should have gone with. Remember that short that reimagined Spongebob as an action anime?

What if Rick and Morty: The Anime were tonally similar to this? A tongue in cheek, jokey spoof of action anime. They could probably include some gory black comedy in the fight scenes and quippy one liners to make it feel like the original. Just turning a comedy into a straight drama/action title obviously didn't work. My hope is that Adult Swim never does this to any of their other comedies ever again. If you are going to turn a comedy cartoon into an action anime, at least keep the comedy.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
One thing I am thinking about is a possible tone they could and probably should have gone with. Remember that short that reimagined Spongebob as an action anime?

What if Rick and Morty: The Anime were tonally similar to this? A tongue in cheek, jokey spoof of action anime. They could probably include some gory black comedy in the fight scenes and quippy one liners to make it feel like the original. Just turning a comedy into a straight drama/action title obviously didn't work. My hope is that Adult Swim never does this to any of their other comedies ever again. If you are going to turn a comedy cartoon into an action anime, at least keep the comedy.
As long it has good writing and good character designs, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Otherwise, I just don't want to see it.

Corwin Haught

I'm stuck with this because it's the Rick and Morty content for the year, even if is just a simulacrum, and main series Rick may make a wisecrack about this at some point that would be best understood if I watch the whole thing.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
This thread is just so epic, so much criticism of Rick and Morty The Anime and all are hard hitting and well thought out, not an swearing fest like The Nostalgia Critic.

I don't want to go to off topic but when's the last time you watched a Nostalgia Critic video, 2010? He hasn't done swear fest for reviews in ages certainly not in the last few years so that just felt like a random comment.

More on topic

What if Rick and Morty: The Anime were tonally similar to this? A tongue in cheek, jokey spoof of action anime. They could probably include some gory black comedy in the fight scenes and quippy one liners to make it feel like the original. Just turning a comedy into a straight drama/action title obviously didn't work.

It's pretty clear that AS based on the shorts were confident on Takashi Sano's vision for the project and pretty clear he has his own take on the material because this isn't like a corporate sort of bad take on the material. This is clearly "someone has their unique vision they want to tell" take but yeah it is one that DOES NOT FIT Rick and Morty especially if this is suppose to be the actual regular take on the characters. Again I'm for different but yeah should have been the out there insane energy of say a FLCL (original not later seasons one) not some confusing ponderous Evangelion esque take removing even the edge of the original Rick and Morty to make it work.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
Has anyone seen the Tower of God series? It seems to be the main prior work of the director of this series. Was the pacing, plot, animation, etc this bad, or does more of the blame go to Deen for Rick and Morty the anime? I understand it was also an adaptation of a foreign property, in this case a Japanese adaptation of a Korean web cartoon. I haven’t seen it though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Has anyone seen the Tower of God series? It seems to be the main prior work of the director of this series. Was the pacing, plot, animation, etc this bad, or does more of the blame go to Deen for Rick and Morty the anime? I understand it was also an adaptation of a foreign property, in this case a Japanese adaptation of a Korean web cartoon. I haven’t seen it though.
Way better than R&M Anime. But maybe 1 or 2 episodes in TOA season 2, the animation is lacking. Story is more interesting than whatever's going on in R&M Anime.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
That is fascinating to learn that this is being done by Tower of God season 1 guy Takashi Sano (apparently season two of Tower of God is done by a different guy). The difference is that I Tower of God was a much closer adaptation to its source material, albeit heavily abbreviated, compared to this. I mean the "let the famous anime director do whatever they want" approach in theory would be the best way to make an original and "let the Jujutsu Kaisen season one guy do whatever he wants" yielded the original with the most positive reception, even if the stuff people didn't like about Ninja Kamui like the CGI mechs were all the director's idea, not Adult Swim's. The thing is that Tower of God season one was a pretty standard, straightforward action title, and if I didn't do research, I just might mistake it for a Shonen Jump adaptation. Anyway, I think that the Toonami Originals hands-off approach of letting directors do whatever (unless it involves fanservice) has turned out to be a pretty bad thing. I know anime fans have hated on Western coproductions for meddling with anime, but the Toonami Originals hands-off approach looks to be not working. I think Demarco should have vetoed the CGI mechs in Ninja Kamui, vetoed the ending of Fena Pirate Princess, and just do something when there are obvious issues with an original.

Nobodyman

It's weird to me that the promo credits him as "visionary director" Takashi Sano, when, yeah, apparently his only real claim to fame is directing the first season of Tower of God. Nothing against the guy personally, but he's not like Shinichiro Watanabe or Satoshi Kon.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
It's pretty clear that AS based on the shorts were confident on Takashi Sano's vision for the project and pretty clear he has his own take on the material because this isn't like a corporate sort of bad take on the material. This is clearly "someone has their unique vision they want to tell" take but yeah it is one that DOES NOT FIT Rick and Morty especially if this is suppose to be the actual regular take on the characters. Again I'm for different but yeah should have been the out there insane energy of say a FLCL (original not later seasons one) not some confusing ponderous Evangelion esque take removing even the edge of the original Rick and Morty to make it work.
I understand that the creator's own take on the characters, but just because you could do something like this, that doesn't mean you should.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1724953335621.png

Episode 3
Alien Elle
Thursday 8/29 at 12:00 AM (Dub)/Saturday 8/31 at 12:00 AM (Sub)
1724953369691.png

Synopsis: Morty takes the fight to the Federation; Morty looks for love in all the wrong places.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's weird to me that the promo credits him as "visionary director" Takashi Sano, when, yeah, apparently his only real claim to fame is directing the first season of Tower of God. Nothing against the guy personally, but he's not like Shinichiro Watanabe or Satoshi Kon.
The word "director" is a misnomer. I knew of Takashi Sano because he was a career key animator/storyboard artist since the mid-90s. It was only recently he was the director outright but before that he was mostly a key animator or board artist on shows cutting his teeth on stuff like Tekkaman, Eva, Lupin, Detective Conan.

Nobodyman

Previously on R&M Anime: Rick vs. Rick and Space Beth vs. Tammy.

Well, my expectations are pretty much rock bottom, but what the hey, I'm in this for the long haul.

Alien bazaar arguments. Thrilling.

Morty's still looking for not-Jessica.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
What fresh madness is this now?

Space Dandy has invaded the Cowboy Bebop movie.

"Free country." It's like an excuse for everything. Like "I am free to make your life miserable" and "you are free to live a miserable life."

I liked Rick's crybaby backstory music better.

Nobodyman

I mean, I guess this opening's kinda fun, at least.

Rick and Morty interacting! What a concept!

I guess Takashi Sano really likes these bug aliens.

It's the girl, but...she's an alien?

Rick and Morty's blood types. I'm sure that'll be interesting to some fans.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts