Can 4KIDS Become 24/7 network?

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
I know Jeff Harris supports the idea, but I don't think it's likely.
I do?

I remember saying that 4Kids could do that, but the fact that they won't nor even attempted to try shows exactly how committed to being a supplier rather than a distributor proves that they're not even interested in creating a 24/7 network.

They could easily do so, but half the products would have to come from third parties, and as The CW 4Kids block has proven, they don't like to work well with others. Otherwise, Spectacular Spider-Man Season Two would premiere on The CW, not Disney Sideways Closed-Eyes Smile, um, Disney XD.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
They could easily do so, but half the products would have to come from third parties, and as The CW 4Kids block has proven, they don't like to work well with others. Otherwise, Spectacular Spider-Man Season Two would premiere on The CW, not Disney Sideways Closed-Eyes Smile, um, Disney XD.

I'd say Spider-Man is the exception, not the rule. Acquiring shows like Huntik, RollBots, Kamen Rider and HTDT demonstrates that 4Kids is willing to air shows that they have little or no involvement with.

Light Lucario

Staff member
No.

I like 4Kids, but I mean, one of their morning blocks just died! There's no way they can operate a channel.

Well, they pretty much stopped caring about their 4KidsTV block once they got control of the CW block, which is why nearly the whole block had nothing but repeats and actually ended much earlier than most people expected it to. They probably wanted to cut off from FOX sooner for financial reasons, which makes sense.

Anyway, as for the topic question, it does honestly sound like an interesting idea to me and I would kind of like seeing them doing something like that. But I don't think that it would happen anytime soon. I think that it would be hard for any new 24/7 cartoon channel to pop up now, given the competition. 4Kids would air some of their most well known programs, like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sonic and Chaotic, but they couldn't just air shows like that all the time. They would, of course, have to acquire shows in order to fill up their schedule. Even with the shows they have now, I don't think that they would have enough to fill up a channel. I could see them considering it in the future, but I just kind of doubt it that they'll do it anytime soon.

I would like seeing them getting an afternoon block, which does feel more possible, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon either, unfortunately.

XDogg said:
And I though 4kids could of have a Future.:sad:

Just because it's unlikely that 4Kids won't have their own channel in the near future doesn't mean that they don't have a future. They have a contract with the CW that will last five years, so they'll have the CW4Kids for that long and possibly longer, depending on how things work out in the future. Besides that, they are doing pretty well with their website and people viewing the episodes of different series that they upload.

mumbo

Look skyward
Yeah I think there are about enough 24/7 kids' channels out there. 4Kids would just get devoured by Disney or Nickelodeon.

Like they have enough for a weekday afternoon and primetime block but the rest of the day would be pretty empty.
4Kids doesn't have nearly enough shows, stroke or programming savvy to become its' own channel.
It doesn't take any programming savvy to run a channel, just look at Cartoon Network ;)

I kid, I kid.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
What would 4kids air on it anyway, they have like 10 shows.

They lost the rights to Ultimate Muscle so they can't air that anymore. They can't air Spiderman. They can't air Stargate SG-1 or Ultraman Tiqa.

So what would they air? Endless Kirby, Sonic, Yu-gi-oh, Dinosaur King and Chaotic reruns?

Oh wow, as if those shows haven't aired enough already.
It's Ultraman Tiga, not Tiqa, and they actually should still have the rights to it. When they announced it, 4Kids said they had lifetime rights to all Ultraman series in the US and had been trying to get Tiga on the air for 5+ years. The main thing that has kept them from putting it on their Web site is because 1) the entire series was released on DVD by FUNimation and 2) the series was deeemed as a complete and utter failure.

As for what they could air, last time I checked, 4Kids still had all the following, which is a list of 31 shows, 15 1/2 hours of content without any reruns, as well as two series of shorts. They also have 6 1/2 hours of shows they either got from Kids' WB! or acquired from groups like DiC or had previous anime license to they could air if they could negotiate and regain the rights.

Anime:
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's
Dinosaur King
Fighting Foodons
Magical DoReMi
Sonic X
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

Original shows:
Chaotic
Chaotic M'arrillian Invasion
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back to the Sewer
Viva Pinata
Pat and Stan
Cubix: Robots for Everyone
Cabbage Patch Kids
Incredible Crash Dummies

Other aquisitions:
Winx Club
Huntik: Seekers and Signs
Will and DeWitt
Magi-Nation
Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight
Di-Gata Defenders
GoGoRiki
Biker Mice From Mars
Skunk Fu!
The Adrenaline Project
Funky Cops
Ultraman Tiga
RollBots
HTDT

Lost rights:
Mew Mew Power
Shaman King
One Piece
Stargate Infinity
Back to the Future
The Cramp Twins
Pirate Islands (?)
The Spectacular Spider-Man (lose the rights in April)
Eon Kid (?)
Johnny Test
World of Quest (?)
The Batman
Tom & Jerry Tales (?)

Do I think they should make a 24-hour block? That answer is no, but they still have a lot more shows than FUNimation did when they started FUNimation Channel, and the thing is people might get the network if they did solely for Ninja Turtles & Yu-Gi-Oh!

DonkeyKongSong

It's Ultraman Tiga, not Tiqa, and they actually should still have the rights to it. When they announced it, 4Kids said they had lifetime rights to all Ultraman series in the US and had been trying to get Tiga on the air for 5+ years. The main thing that has kept them from putting it on their Web site is because 1) the entire series was released on DVD by FUNimation and 2) the series was deeemed as a complete and utter failure.

As for what they could air, last time I checked, 4Kids still had all the following, which is a list of 31 shows, 15 1/2 hours of content without any reruns, as well as two series of shorts. They also have 6 1/2 hours of shows they either got from Kids' WB! or acquired from groups like DiC or had previous anime license to they could air if they could negotiate and regain the rights.

Anime:
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's
Dinosaur King
Fighting Foodons
Magical DoReMi
Sonic X
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

Original shows:
Chaotic
Chaotic M'arrillian Invasion
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back to the Sewer
Viva Pinata
Pat and Stan
Cubix: Robots for Everyone
Cabbage Patch Kids
Incredible Crash Dummies

Other aquisitions:
Winx Club
Huntik: Seekers and Signs
Will and DeWitt
Magi-Nation
Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight
Di-Gata Defenders
GoGoRiki
Biker Mice From Mars
Skunk Fu!
The Adrenaline Project
Funky Cops
Ultraman Tiga
RollBots
HTDT

Lost rights:
Mew Mew Power
Shaman King
One Piece
Stargate Infinity
Back to the Future
The Cramp Twins
Pirate Islands (?)
The Spectacular Spider-Man (lose the rights in April)
Eon Kid (?)
Johnny Test
World of Quest (?)
The Batman
Tom & Jerry Tales (?)

Do I think they should make a 24-hour block? That answer is no, but they still have a lot more shows than FUNimation did when they started FUNimation Channel, and the thing is people might get the network if they did solely for Ninja Turtles & Yu-Gi-Oh!

You forgot another of their originals...

G.I. Joe: Sigma 6.

NewcomerDC

i wish 4kids get rights to ultraman dyna - show about ut 's son join superguts - son of ultraman tiga come ultraman dyna
And to give it a crappy dub like Ultraman Tiga, heck no.

I would rather release this show on DVD with English subtitles with its original Japanese voice track.

ChibiGoku

Something Not Quite Right

Err... No. G.I. Joe: Sigma 6 is only dubbed by 4Kids Entertainment, as well as holding the Tv rights to the series. The series is actually one of Hasbro's coproductions with Japan (which was actually announced on Gonzo's end first), although it didn't get released there for unknown reasons. The series composition, writing, direction, character designs, and among everything was pretty much on Gonzo's end, similar to Transformers: Galaxy Force (Cybertron), although Hasbro did come up with the initial concept.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!

No, I didn't forget it. It wasn't a 4Kids original. Sigma Six was acquired by 4Kids from Hasbro for airing and dubbing purposes. Hasbro has since reclaimed the rights. The Sigma Six scripts were written by Hasbro and the animation was done by Gonzo. For the record, the episodes of Sigma 6 that have been released on DVD by Hasbro also have different VA's than the 4Kids version used as they re-dubbed the series with Voicebox in Canada to use the same VA's as used in the GI Joe movies. The 4 our 5 episodes that were released were all done in toy sets, so don't go looking for the DVD's. Heck, the final 5 or 6 episodes never aired in the US. In fact, from what I've been able to find through various research is Australia is the only place that aired all 26 episodes.

DonkeyKongSong

They aired on YTV in Canada too, I found out in a way I can't talk about here.

Really? That's interesting... I thought 4Kids made the show, and they hired GONZO to do the animation... guess I was wrong...

And actually, there were some other episodes on DVD, kind of. It's called "G.I. Joe Sigma 6: First Strike", and it's really episodes strung together into a "movie", like the Kirby: Fright to the Finish thing.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
They aired on YTV in Canada too, I found out in a way I can't talk about here.

Really? That's interesting... I thought 4Kids made the show, and they hired GONZO to do the animation... guess I was wrong...

And actually, there were some other episodes on DVD, kind of. It's called "G.I. Joe Sigma 6: First Strike", and it's really episodes strung together into a "movie", like the Kirby: Fright to the Finish thing.
I was including that DVD, which was the first one released with the toys. They released two other DVD's, each with 2 episodes, for the grand total of 7 that were released, but they were all released with the Sigma 6 toys and not on DVD from a company. It also doesn't change what I said above, and that's that Hasbro rerecorded each of those episodes done on DVD with Voicebox.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The question is who would really watch it? Without Pokemon, they only have a few good shows with the rest being bad.

Like Jeff Harris already said, 4Kids doesn't have enough dubs for a 24/7 channel. There would have to be 3rd party acquisitions in order to fill out the running time.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts