The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?
Current Sky Showcase Germany weekend morning schedule:

06:50 Grizzy & the Lemmings
06:55 Bugs Bunny Builders
07:10 Batwheels
07:30 Summer Camp Island
07:55 Summer Camp Island
08:15 The Amazing World of Gumball
08:30 The Amazing World of Gumball (- 08:50)
are the first three part of a specifically-branded Cartoonito block? Or are they just aired as simple regular shows?

zQwmy

Deutsche Telekom
are the first three part of a specifically-branded Cartoonito block? Or are they just aired as simple regular shows?
During those shows, this screenbug is used. Nothing else though.
42e38447-3d86-45d1-aa2f-2f6303c68271-jpg.303770

Daffyrocks

Here's also the Romanian version:
View attachment 308805
"Foster și prietenii închipuiți".... Even CN CEE proper called it like that as part of promos and NEXT bumpers, when it's clear the actual dubbing referred to it as "Casa Foster pentru prieteni imaginari", which is the exact literal translation of the English title.

But yeah, it's not the only time the channel promoted a series with a different title than how the actual dub refers to it. Like, KND is actually "Nume de Cod: Clanul Nebunaticilor de Alături" in Romanian, while sometimes the NEXT bumpers would call it "Clanul Năzdrăvanilor Deosebiți" (which if we think about it, it's actually more fitting as it almost matches with the English KND acronym)

ballwa44

"Foster și prietenii închipuiți".... Even CN CEE proper called it like that as part of promos and NEXT bumpers, when it's clear the actual dubbing referred to it as "Casa Foster pentru prieteni imaginari", which is the exact literal translation of the English title.

But yeah, it's not the only time the channel promoted a series with a different title than how the actual dub refers to it. Like, KND is actually "Nume de Cod: Clanul Nebunaticilor de Alături" in Romanian, while sometimes the NEXT bumpers would call it "Clanul Năzdrăvanilor Deosebiți" (which if we think about it, it's actually more fitting as it almost matches with the English KND acronym)
We had similar discrepancies with these exact series actually.

Dub: Fosterék háza képzeletbeli barátoknak [Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends]
Promos: Álmok háza [House of Dreams]

Dub: Rémkölykök [Ghastly Kids]
Promos: Jelszó: Kölök nem dedós [Slogan/Password: Kid's Not Dumb]

Although we also had similar discrepancies for some other shows (Courage had three variations if I recall correctly: Bátor a félénk/gyáva/buta kutya), in fact, this was common even in later years. Over the Garden Wall had A kerítésen túl / Túl a kerítésen; Exchange Student Zero was called Hiro, a csodagyerek in the first promo and the August 2016 highlights promo (instead of Hiro, a cseregyerek), and just recently, Pöttöm kalandok: Gügye Egyetem is always Pöttöm kalandok: Lüke Egyetem in promos and bumpers.

I think the funniest of these was Pet Alien, which was called Kis idegen világi in the first promo it ever received. It's absolute nonsense for the record ("small alien worldly")

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Dub: Rémkölykök [Ghastly Kids]
Promos: Jelszó: Kölök nem dedós [Slogan/Password: Kid's Not Dumb]
In the Arrow era "next" idents it was either called by the KND spelling version, Rémkölykök or Kémkölykök (Spy Kids, not to be confused with the movie). 3 titles!

Last edited:

Moleoman

Regarding the Polish dubs, CN seems to have better research - shows most often are promoted using the same title as in the dubs, however there were some exceptions:

"Pet Alien"'s Polish title is "Ufolągi" (a portmanteau of "Ufo" and "Dziwolągi") as spoken at the end of intro, but CN's Polish announcers always pronounced it as "Ufołagi" (a nonsense word; they probably received a version of the title without diacritics and made wrong guesses).

"My Gym Partner's A Monkey" dub tiitle is "Mój kumpel z wuefu jest małpą" (heard mainly on the theme song), but CN frequently promoted the show as "Mój partner z sali gimnastycznej jest małpą" to the point it's listed on Polish Wikipedia under the latter title.

And let's not forget that for a few years after "Ben 10" premiered on CN CEE in September 2006, the show's title (which retained its original prnounciation in Polish dub) was read as "Ben Dziesięć" or "Ben Dziesiątka".

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
And let's not forget that for a few years after "Ben 10" premiered on CN CEE in September 2006, the show's title (which retained its original prnounciation in Polish dub) was read as "Ben Dziesięć" or "Ben Dziesiątka".
Same for Hungary between 2006-2008: in promos and "next" idents was "Ben Tíz", but "Ben Ten" in the dub.

Perla Magica

Processing the news
Regarding the Polish dubs, CN seems to have better research - shows most often are promoted using the same title as in the dubs, however there were some exceptions:

"Pet Alien"'s Polish title is "Ufolągi" (a portmanteau of "Ufo" and "Dziwolągi") as spoken at the end of intro, but CN's Polish announcers always pronounced it as "Ufołagi" (a nonsense word; they probably received a version of the title without diacritics and made wrong guesses).

"My Gym Partner's A Monkey" dub tiitle is "Mój kumpel z wuefu jest małpą" (heard mainly on the theme song), but CN frequently promoted the show as "Mój partner z sali gimnastycznej jest małpą" to the point it's listed on Polish Wikipedia under the latter title.

And let's not forget that for a few years after "Ben 10" premiered on CN CEE in September 2006, the show's title (which retained its original pronunciation in Polish dub) was read as "Ben Dziesięć" or "Ben Dziesiątka".
Let's not forget also "Over The Garden's Wall"'s Polish title "Po drugiej stronie muru", promos usually calls it as "Za bramą ogrodu".

Daffyrocks

If I recall right, Pet Alien kept its English name on the Romanian dub of the first season (the first intro variation), while from the second intro onwards, it was officially renamed and voice-overed as "Prietenii mei extratereștrii" (translated as "My Friends The Aliens"). Most of the CN CEE promos in Romanian did refer to the show by the English name, but at least the NEXT bumper from the City era called it as the translated version I already mentioned.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Ben 10. The actual RO dub of the original 2005 series always called it as such, the English prononciation. The very first promos on CN CEE, however, for the first batch of episodes, referred to the show in Romanian as "Ben Zece". "Zece" meaning what the number 10 is normally called in our language. Later promos, as well as the subsequent Ben 10 shows and their promotions on CN CEE in Romania, just started keeping the original English prononciation.

My Gym Partner's a Monkey was mostly referred to by its well-known translated name, "Colegul meu de sală e o maimuță". But only very few promos referred to it as "Partenerul meu de sală e o maimuță", which if we think about it is the closest to the literal translation of the English name (the former can be translated more like "My Gym College is A Monkey").

Also, "The Life and Times of Juniper Lee" was always just called "Juniper Lee" on both the proper Romanian dub and also on the promos and NEXT bumpers of Romanian CN CEE.

Even today, it seems for the discrepancy to occur on the Romanian Cartoon Network. Tiny Toons Looniversity is called both on the dub and also on the RO promos as "Looniversitatea Micuților", while I noitced how the CN CEE YT channel from Romania called it in one video's title as "Looniversitatea Micilor Poznași" (probably they wanted to aknowledge how the original Tiny Toon Adventures was referred to as back on Boomerang CEE here, which even that was a bit misleading since promos called it "Micii Poznași" while the voice-over from the actual episodes referred to it as so, but added the English term "Tiny Toons" before it). While another recent YT upload referred to it as "Universitatea Țicnită a Micilor Poznași", which that even got rid of the special "Looniversity" term.

Meanwhile, Looney Tunes Cartoons was always called "Lumea Looney Tunes" in Romanian ("The Looney Tunes World"), but most of the Romanian video uploads from YT's CN CEE channel refer to it as "Desene animate Looney Tunes" (which is the literal translation of the English title, in a way). However, those are the cases with the Boomerang Romania uploads that were moved to the CN channel after the former was replaced here by Cartoonito, while some LTC uploads directly coming from CN Romania referred to it as "Lumea Looney Tunes".

While they may probably be off-topic, I can also cite examples from Boomerang here. Be Cool Scooby-Doo was always promoted on TV during the breaks and on Romanian PR / highlights files as "Fii tare, Scooby-Doo!", which is the literal translation of the series. The actual Romanian-dubbed voice-overed intro of the series always called it "Fii calm, Scooby-Doo!", which can also considered another literal translation ("cool" can also mean "calm", the case of both the English and Romanian "calm"). Also Mighty Mike was promoted as "Formidabilul Mike" ("The Formidable Mike"), but the actual Romanian voice-over called it "Marele Mike" ("The Big Mike").

Last edited:

Daffyrocks

oh, and there was also What's New Scooby-Doo...... (sorry for double-posting) In Romania, it got to have three versions of the title. They initially promoted it as "Ce mai faci tu, Scooby-Doo?" ("How Are You Doing, Scooby-Doo?"). Meanwhile, the Romanian dub of the intro actually didn't voice-over a translation at all of the show's name for most of the first episodes, while few of them actually called it "Noile aventuri ale lui Scooby-Doo" (yeah, a generic name which didn't have to do with the actual English version).

The later seasons of WNSD, which got switched over to Zone Studio Oradea to dub them here (initially, Mediavision was responsible for the Romanian dubbing of Scooby-Doo material for CN until Zone Studio took over around 2006 or so), it got a new translation of the series' title as "Ce e nou, Scooby-Doo?", which is the literal translation of "What's New, Scooby-Doo?". Then, subsequent mentions on Romanian promos and bumpers on both CN and Boomerang started referring to it by this new third translated name, until it stopped airing on TV in Romania anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts