Cartoons That Have Had Greater Longevity Than You'd Expect

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I really dont like this way of thinking. I know dubs in the USA are bad and thus have a terrible reputation but in regions like Latin America and so on, where dubbing is great and many shows are famous for having great dubs, that's not a problem at all. Most people consume dubbing so naturally they dont even ever mind it.

Sadly Family Guys' dubbing went downhill a bit but I dont think there is any undub able media.
For Family Guy, it's different. Seth MacFarlane's voice performances MAKE the show. It would be a hollow shell of itself without them.

This is the same reason The Nanny is subtitled in other countries instead of dubbed. Nobody can compete with the comedy of Fran Drescher's voice.

aegisrawks

For Family Guy, it's different. Seth MacFarlane's voice performances MAKE the show. It would be a hollow shell of itself without them.

This is the same reason The Nanny is subtitled in other countries instead of dubbed. Nobody can compete with the comedy of Fran Drescher's voice.
You dont know that. You dont live outside the USA. In Latin America the show is dubbed, and the show was such a success it was even adapted locally. Fran is given a sexy and great voice that doesnt resemble Fran Drescher at all. Sure the "Fran has a really awful voice" jokes are lost but in adaptations things are invariably going to be lost.

Friends dub is unwatchable though. But The Nanny in particular is famous for having a really awesome dub everyone loved.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You dont know that. You dont live outside the USA. In Latin America the show is dubbed, and the show was such a success it was even adapted locally. Fran is given a sexy and great voice that doesnt resemble Fran Drescher at all. Sure the "Fran has a really awful voice" jokes are lost but in adaptations things are invariably going to be lost.
I read somewhere that CHINA of all places kept the U.S. dub of The Nanny. I must have mistaken that for all countries.

CassieTheDragon

List of cartoons that Cyberchase has ran longer than (22 years of new episodes):

Rugrats
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Kim Possible
Phineas and Ferb
Fairly Odd Parents
Dora The Explorer
King Of The Hill
Ed Edd N Eddy
Powerpuff Girls
Adventure Time
Regular Show
Gumball
Steven Universe

These are just some of them. Behind Arthur (at 25 years) it is the second longest running cartoon on PBS (in terms of live-action shows, Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Reading Rainbow)

aegisrawks

List of cartoons that Cyberchase has ran longer than (22 years of new episodes):

Rugrats
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Kim Possible
Phineas and Ferb
Fairly Odd Parents
Dora The Explorer
King Of The Hill
Ed Edd N Eddy
Powerpuff Girls
Adventure Time
Regular Show
Gumball
Steven Universe

These are just some of them. Behind Arthur (at 25 years) it is the second longest running cartoon on PBS (in terms of live-action shows, Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Reading Rainbow)
I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I want share the Latin American opening to Dragon Tales. Its so cute.

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
The Swan Princess - Everybody keeps bringing up The Land Before Time for a series with an absurd number of sequels, but i'm shocked barely anyone brings up The Swan Princess. The original bombed at the box office, became a surprise hit on home video, and was therefore followed by 2 sequels in the 90s. But then in the 2010s (presumably to ride on the recent resurgence in popularity Disney Princesses were having), more sequels (9 as of this post) began to get made again. And it's still going (as of this post) unlike The Land Before Time, with the last one coming out in September of last year.

Sazae-san - THE longest running anime of all time. Has more episodes than Pokemon and One Piece COMBINED. And it's still going on to this day (like The Swan Princess)

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
The Swan Princess - Everybody keeps bringing up The Land Before Time for a series with an absurd number of sequels, but i'm shocked barely anyone brings up The Swan Princess. The original bombed at the box office, became a surprise hit on home video, and was therefore followed by 2 sequels in the 90s. But then in the 2010s (presumably to ride on the recent resurgence in popularity Disney Princesses were having), more sequels (9 as of this post) began to get made again. And it's still going (as of this post) unlike The Land Before Time, with the last one coming out in September of last year.
I’d argue that most people have no idea Swan Princess had sequels in the 2010’s. I honestly didn’t realize they had that many. I was thinking there were two or three.

ToonsJazzLover

American Dad! is about to turn 20 next year and I never expected to last just as long as its sister series. This year will mark 10 years since it stopped airing on FOX, and man times really flew by.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I’d argue that most people have no idea Swan Princess had sequels in the 2010’s. I honestly didn’t realize they had that many. I was thinking there were two or three.
Some people may have heard of the first CGI sequel since it was a Christmas movie oddly enough, but unless you looked into it, I don't think most people would have been aware of them. I'm pretty sure that the third movie never aired on Cartoon Network, while I'm positive the second movie did air there. The Land Before Time sequels were featured in a lot of Blockbusters, so they would be more well known compared to the Swan Princess sequels.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts