Cel Animated Show That Switched to Digital Coloring

Dylan James Yi

I was curious that Babar have switched to digital ink and paint animation for the final season of the show.

Also, I was just saying for the last time, Episode 66 of Cyborg Kuro-chan used digital ink and paint while all 65 episodes used cel animation.

I guess, some Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts/episodes used digital ink and paint animation while others used cel animation for this.

And probably for Samurai Jack that it used cel animation for the first season? Later switched to digital ink and paint animation, but this already used this at the start.

And none of the episodes of Whatever Happend to... Robot Jones? used digital ink and paint animation as due to the show was in cel animation (this was the last Cartoon Network show to use this).

And I didn't know that Mickey Mouse Works shorts/episodes used digital ink and paint animation while others used the cel animation.

Speaking of this, none of the Dilbert episodes used digital ink and paint animation.

I don't know if there was a Aladdin Disney TV show episode that used digital ink and paint animation instead of cel animated.

And for the Doug Disney TV show, maybe probably used digital ink and paint later for this or not.

cheril59

I was curious that Babar have switched to digital ink and paint animation for the final season of the show.

Also, I was just saying for the last time, Episode 66 of Cyborg Kuro-chan used digital ink and paint while all 65 episodes used cel animation.

I guess, some Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts/episodes used digital ink and paint animation while others used cel animation for this.

And probably for Samurai Jack that it used cel animation for the first season? Later switched to digital ink and paint animation, but this already used this at the start.

And none of the episodes of Whatever Happend to... Robot Jones? used digital ink and paint animation as due to the show was in cel animation (this was the last Cartoon Network show to use this).

And I didn't know that Mickey Mouse Works shorts/episodes used digital ink and paint animation while others used the cel animation.

Speaking of this, none of the Dilbert episodes used digital ink and paint animation.

I don't know if there was a Aladdin Disney TV show episode that used digital ink and paint animation instead of cel animated.

And for the Doug Disney TV show, maybe probably used digital ink and paint later for this or not.
Samurai Jack already used digital ink and paint from the start.
And yes, Babar's sixth season used digital ink and paint.

Moleoman

I'll add some other series:
BRB's "Sandokan" cartoon used digital coloring only in the following episodes:
  • S01E06 - "The Rebellion of the Dayakos"
  • S01E13 - "The Kidnapping"
  • S01E14 - "The Search for Dama"
  • S01E16 - "The Battle on the Marsh"
  • S01E18 - "Escape"
  • S01E22 - "Sandokan Taken Prisoner"
  • S01E23 - "The Pills of Death"
  • S01E24 - "Together Again"
  • S01E26 - "A Double Wedding"
Luckily, another BRB series "Willy Fog 2" used digital ink and paint more consistently - for show's opening and full-time starting from episode 14 ("A Maritime Mystery") onwards.

Unless I'm wrong, Cinar's "The Country Mouse and City Mouse Adventures" seems to have switched to digital ink and paint starting from first episode of Season 2 (episode 27 - "Bicycle Mice").

Dylan James Yi

Well, I was just saying, Many Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts/episodes used cel animation while others used digital ink and paint animation. The Fairly OddParents originally used cel animation for the Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts until it was switched to digital ink and paint starting with the first episode The Big Problem when it became a series until switched to flash animation for the last 13 episodes on season 10.

And I agreed that Babar switched from cel animation to digital ink and paint animation starting with the sixth season.

And I didn't know there were more The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episodes that used digital ink and paint (including Jungle Fever, Robo Koopa, etc.)

cheril59

Well, I was just saying, Many Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts/episodes used cel animation while others used digital ink and paint animation. The Fairly OddParents originally used cel animation for the Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts until it was switched to digital ink and paint starting with the first episode The Big Problem when it became a series until switched to flash animation for the last 13 episodes on season 10.

And I agreed that Babar switched from cel animation to digital ink and paint animation starting with the sixth season.

And I didn't know there were more The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episodes that used digital ink and paint (including Jungle Fever, Robo Koopa, etc.)
But all the Super Mario episodes looked more like they were on cels to me.

Dylan James Yi

But all the Super Mario episodes looked more like they were on cels to me.
Yeah, it looks like it was cel animation for me since then.

And even though none of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes used digital ink and paint animation since it used cel animation instead.

And I know some Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts/episodes used digital ink and paint animation including the ChalkZone shorts, etc. while others used cel animation including The Fairly OddParents shorts, My Neighbor was a Teenage Robot (the pilot to My Life as a Teenage Robot), etc.

And to say this, I know some Mickey Mouse Works shorts/episodes used cel animation while others used digital ink and paint animation (Examples: "Mickey's New Car" and "Computer.Don")

And the Babar episode "The Departure" is the first episode to use digital ink and paint animation, I know it!

Well, that's what I know seen many cel animated shows that switched to digital ink and paint animation. Even though the first season of Caillou, first season of Dora the Explorer, Kipper, Mr. Men and Little Miss French/British 1995 animated series, Franklin, Little Bear and the first and second season of Family Guy already used digital ink and paint animation from the start while the Doug Disney TV show, PB&J Otter and Whatever Happened To... Robot Jones did not used this and used cel animation instead for the whole time.

Last edited:

Moleoman

And the Babar episode "The Departure" is the first episode to use digital ink and paint animation, I know it!
Obviously, "Babar"'s sixth season was digitally colored (as you've stated many times before). I've noticed you have barely taken into account not only the 9 (nine!) year gap between the seasons, but also the fact that this season is sometimes considered as a separate show from other five "seasons". Also, by 1997 Nelvana has stopped using cels in new productions.

By the way, the only other series I know to have experienced the inverted case is the 1994 "Fantastic Four" series - the show was digitally colored in Season 1, but switched to cels in Season 2.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Anyone more well-versed in the show know exactly when Shin-chan switched from cels to digital? Because it happened at some point, though because FUNi mixed and matched from various seasons when licensing the show, I'm not exactly sure when the switchover occurred.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Anyone more well-versed in the show know exactly when Shin-chan switched from cels to digital? Because it happened at some point, though because FUNi mixed and matched from various seasons when licensing the show, I'm not exactly sure when the switchover occurred.
Episode 440 (June 15, 2002) and onwards are definitely all digital ink.

Episode 1 to 439 gradually look more "modern", but I think even 439 is still cell animation.

Here is a comparison of 439 and 440.
Screenshot_20210409-221627_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210409-221715_YouTube.jpg

ToonJay723

Staff member
By the way, the only other series I know to have experienced the inverted case is the 1994 "Fantastic Four" series - the show was digitally colored in Season 1, but switched to cels in Season 2.
Thanks for the info. Looking at the episodes, I saw five episodes from the first season done on cels as well.

ToonJay723

Staff member
"The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" was digitally colored in the first season, then switched to cels the next.
Another Fantastic Four (1994) case where not all of season one was digital.

Weren't the episodes animated by Pacific Animation Corp. during season 1 also digitally colored though?
Just the ten episodes animated by them actually. The rest of season one is done on cels, minus the CG portions, of course.

wiley207

The only digitally colored piece on the "Ren & Stimpy" episode "A Visit to Anthony" was the ending bumper "World Crisis with Mr. Horse". "Big Flakes" had the "Vericose Veins" bumper digitally colored. And "A Hard Day's Luck" wasn't digitally colored, so leave that out.

It's also worth mentioning that the "Cheesefist" segment seen at the start of "Lair of the Lummox" also used digital ink-and-paint. Wang Film Productions, whom animated that segment, did their own digital coloring there, using Hanna-Barbera's old computer system they got in 1990 or 1991. In most cases on this series, the digital coloring/compositing was done by a different studio than whom was animating; usually it would be Metrocel (Season 2) or U.S.Animation (Seasons 3 to 5). Another exception besides "Cheesefist" is "A Scooter For Yaksmas," where Rough Draft did their own digital coloring (I guess they had just gotten a computer system by that time).

Also, regarding "Arthur," I have a theory that in the first season, AKOM may have had a computer system very similar to the Hanna-Barbera one that was sent to Wang (I know the company that made that computer sold similar systems to a few other animation houses). At times the earlier Season 1 episodes (the ones that had the characters' tongues a much lighter color, white-looking skies, exaggerated cartoonish actions, a more subdued and washed-out kind of look overall, and were more prone to animation mistakes) kind of resemble the cartoons H-B and/or Wang animated using that computer. I do know AKOM obviously did the digital coloring themselves, because on some copies of "D.W.'s Imaginary Friend," at the very first frame of a whip-cut to Buster calling Arthur on the phone you can see an AKOM slate!
arthur slate.jpg

Dylan James Yi

And, you think that Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts are cel animated while others are digital ink and paint.
I compare between this cel animated episode and digital ink and paint episode:
720_cb_20110812183126_path-prefix_en.png
latest_cb_20200215175556.png

And I was curious that the ChalkZone shorts and other shorts used digital ink and paint animation while others like The Fairly OddParents shorts, My Neighbor Was a Teenage Robot, etc. used cel animation.

cheril59

And, you think that Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts are cel animated while others are digital ink and paint.
View attachment 287445View attachment 287446
And I was curious that the ChalkZone shorts and other shorts used digital ink and paint animation while others like The Fairly OddParents shorts, My Neighbor Was a Teenage Robot, etc. used cel animation.
Of course, the first OddParents short was animated by Rough Draft Korea, all the others were by Yeson.

ToonJay723

Staff member
View attachment 287445View attachment 287446
Oh Yeah, Cartoon! is a shorts compilation with many different teams. Whether shorts used cels or digital coloring is based on each series of shorts rather than the program as a whole.

Dylan James Yi

Sheesh… This even have thinking when some cel animated shows have switched to digital ink and paint animation at some point.

I think the South Korea show Dooly the Little Dinosaur used cel animation for the 1987-88 series while the 2008 revival used digital ink and paint animation, I think I know this 87-88 series used this cel animation one while the 2008 revival used the digital ink and paint animation?

Although Family Guy was already used digital ink and paint animation for the start of the series until used Toon Boom starting with Season 8, the unaired pitch version of Death has a Shadow used hand-drawn cel animation instead of this?

However, none of the episodes of The Busy World of Richard Scarry used digital ink and paint animation while Mona the Vampire already used this digital ink and paint animation on the start. And Caillou already used digital ink and paint animation at the start until switched to flash starting with sesaon 4 (as according to the credits on season 1 episodes for the series, this was animated in digital ink and paint instead of being cel animated.)

As Little Bear have already used digital ink and paint animation, I think this was probably hand-drawn cel animated before this?

And for this following, the 1995-97 French/British animated series of Mr. Men and Little Miss pilot episode "Little Miss Splendid's Gift" have used cel animation while the entire show used ink and paint digital animation.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Wonder why Nickelodeon still shows We Make Fun version 1 promo even though version 2 has been updated this year?
Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.

Featured Posts