Cel Animated Show That Switched to Digital Coloring

Dylan James Yi

Little Bear have even used cel animation for the first four seasons while the final fifth season used the digital ink and paint coloring animation, but I think it was already in digital coloring animation already in the start.

There is no Popeye and Son episodes that used digital coloring, and even Tiny Toons Adventures, Taz Mania, Goof Troop, Aladdin Disney TV series, Doug and The Busy World of Richard Scarry had zero episodes that used digital ink and paint animation, but I don't know if many shows used this.

And I think The Magic School Bus had no episodes to use the digital coloring animation.

And I know for that the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Jellyfish Jam" have tested by using digital ink and paint animation for the part where SpongeBob and Gary stand on a rock watching the Jellyfishes, likely due to many animators of Rough Draft Studios think that it was too difficult to animate the jellyfishes in the background with using cels, and this looks like a Season 2 or 3 episode for me.

And Beavis and Butt-Head have did use the digital ink and paint animation since the eighth season.

And for Hey Arnold! since the show was switched from Cel Animation to Digital Coloring since the fourth season, maybe the opening sequence used digital ink and paint animation as though it was cel animated until the third season.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Pokémon actually experimented way before that episode:
  • The fifth Japanese ending theme, "Type: Wild" (November 1998) looks to me like it used digital coloring, at least in the still image of Ash and Pikachu at the end (I've never actually read this, it's just based on my own observations and comparisons).
I'm just focusing on the episodes.

Little Bear have even used cel animation for the first four seasons while the final fifth season used the digital ink and paint coloring animation, but I think it was already in digital coloring animation already in the start.
Little Bear used digital coloring since the beginning. The credits even say so. Go to 23:48.
There is no Popeye and Son episodes that used digital coloring, and even Tiny Toons Adventures, Taz Mania, Goof Troop, Aladdin Disney TV series, Doug and The Busy World of Richard Scarry had zero episodes that used digital ink and paint animation, but I don't know if many shows used this.

And I think The Magic School Bus had no episodes to use the digital coloring animation.
You don't need to say what shows didn't switch over unless they're mistakenly

And I know for that the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Jellyfish Jam" have tested by using digital ink and paint animation for the part where SpongeBob and Gary stand on a rock watching the Jellyfishes, likely due to many animators of Rough Draft Studios think that it was too difficult to animate the jellyfishes in the background with using cels, and this looks like a Season 2 or 3 episode for me.

And for Hey Arnold! since the show was switched from Cel Animation to Digital Coloring since the fourth season, maybe the opening sequence used digital ink and paint animation as though it was cel animated until the third season.
That's already listed.

cheril59

Y'know what's funny? Well, take a good look at this earless gadget feline and see if you find any difference!

ToonJay723

Staff member
Updated Wild Thornberrys. "Gift of Gab" has a few shots that are digitally inked and painted. The ones of the Shaman giving Eliza her powers.

cheril59

It's also worth mentioning that the "Cheesefist" segment seen at the start of "Lair of the Lummox" also used digital ink-and-paint. Wang Film Productions, whom animated that segment, did their own digital coloring there, using Hanna-Barbera's old computer system they got in 1990 or 1991. In most cases on this series, the digital coloring/compositing was done by a different studio than whom was animating; usually it would be Metrocel (Season 2) or U.S.Animation (Seasons 3 to 5). Another exception besides "Cheesefist" is "A Scooter For Yaksmas," where Rough Draft did their own digital coloring (I guess they had just gotten a computer system by that time).

Also, regarding "Arthur," I have a theory that in the first season, AKOM may have had a computer system very similar to the Hanna-Barbera one that was sent to Wang (I know the company that made that computer sold similar systems to a few other animation houses). At times the earlier Season 1 episodes (the ones that had the characters' tongues a much lighter color, white-looking skies, exaggerated cartoonish actions, a more subdued and washed-out kind of look overall, and were more prone to animation mistakes) kind of resemble the cartoons H-B and/or Wang animated using that computer. I do know AKOM obviously did the digital coloring themselves, because on some copies of "D.W.'s Imaginary Friend," at the very first frame of a whip-cut to Buster calling Arthur on the phone you can see an AKOM slate!
View attachment 287246
Wait! "D.W's Imaginary Friend" was produced as episode 1B. Don't mean to be off-topic but are there any production codes for Arthur?

wiley207

Wait! "D.W's Imaginary Friend" was produced as episode 1B. Don't mean to be off-topic but are there any production codes for Arthur?
Not that I know of. But the first season's production order definitely seems different from the airing order. Look at "D.W. Thinks Big," it aired as episode 25A, but you can tell it was produced much earlier in the season due to the animation and coloring resembling the early Season 1 episodes (i.e. looking like the H-B computer system). And "Arthur's Family Vacation" also has that same look, despite airing as episode 15A, along with featuring some music cues that only show up in that episode and a few recurring ones that were obviously originally scored for that episode (like the instrumental backing to D.W.'s taunting song, the "nighttime" theme having an additional section only heard in that episode, the organ piece playing during the jungle boat ride, and the "Jaws"-esque horror music playing during the shark movie the family watches.)
This also made for some continuity/timeline errors. "Arthur's Lost Library Book" aired as episode 4B but looks like it was produced later in the season, as the animation and coloring are more refined (but there are still a few mistakes), and it also mentions Buster's private detective gig and the "Scare Your Pants Off" book series, despite those not being properly introduced until "Arthur Accused" (episode 11B) and "The Scare Your Pants Off Club" (episode 28B), both of which have the older Season 1 animation style.

wiley207

Of course, the first OddParents short was animated by Rough Draft Korea, all the others were by Yeson.
I remember hearing how in the mid-to-late 90s, Rough Draft often subcontracted some work to Yeson. I wonder if this is how the "Fairly OddParents" connection started?

cartoo5007

I find it weird how Dexter switched to digital before the Powerpuff Girls did, but I guess it makes sense because Dexter was cancelled and the revived, Powerpuff Girls was ongoing. 2004 was the first year where all shows being produced were digital.

cheril59

I find it weird how Dexter switched to digital before the Powerpuff Girls did, but I guess it makes sense because Dexter was cancelled and the revived, Powerpuff Girls was ongoing. 2004 was the first year where all shows being produced were digital.
Actually, Powerpuffs switched to digital before Dexter. The first episode in that practice was "All Chalked Up".

Dylan James Yi

Wow, that was familiar that some shows that started with cels have been switched to ink and paint digital. I hope if there was the one for many traditional animated shows switched to flash ones.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts