DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 11 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I like how Jeff Wamester is attached as director to Batman: Knightfall, Part 1 on IMDb. No doubt a fanboy fantasy, but it got me thinking that this is exactly what I would want to see moving forward with the DTV line. No continuities, no consistent voice actors... just great standalone adaptations of the iconic stories, with a few originals sprinkled throughout.

Also, Brandon Vietti has been pretty quiet the past two years. I wonder what he has been cooking at WB Animation? Watchmen two-parter?
There is some weight to it as during last year's SDCC, Wamester did confirm he has two unannounced DC projects. If one of two was Crisis (I don't think he was attached to the 2024 slate at the time though we kinda sussed it out already) and the other this rumored Knightfall? Shrug.

His website does list a DC project he wrote/directed/produced being announced soon. I do wonder if it's Watchmen.

Frontier

Staff member
I like how Jeff Wamester is attached as director to Batman: Knightfall, Part 1 on IMDb. No doubt a fanboy fantasy, but it got me thinking that this is exactly what I would want to see moving forward with the DTV line. No continuities, no consistent voice actors... just great standalone adaptations of the iconic stories, with a few originals sprinkled throughout.

Also, Brandon Vietti has been pretty quiet the past two years. I wonder what he has been cooking at WB Animation? Watchmen two-parter?
Knightfall is probably one of the biggest Batman stories they've never really adapted into animation yet.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
There is some weight to it as during last year's SDCC, Wamester did confirm he has two unannounced DC projects. If one of two was Crisis (I don't think he was attached to the 2024 slate at the time though we kinda sussed it out already) and the other this rumored Knightfall? Shrug.

His website does list a DC project he wrote/directed/produced being announced soon. I do wonder if it's Watchmen.

Oh really? I didn't know that... Knightfall would certainly be a good one to adapt for the DTV's.

Although I will say, I'm a little tired of the two and three-parters now.

Otaku-sempai

Oh really? I didn't know that... Knightfall would certainly be a good one to adapt for the DTV's.

Although I will say, I'm a little tired of the two and three-parters now.
Is Watchmen supposed to be a done-in-one? It's been a while since I've heard anything about that, but it's hard to see how it would be adapted into a single film without a lot of compression.

Frontier

Staff member
I mean, some stories you really can't properly adapt in a single movie.

Could you imagine them doing Dark Knight Returns in a single film? We already saw what happened when they tried to do the Death/Return of Superman in a single movie in Superman: Doomsday.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I mean, some stories you really can't properly adapt in a single movie.

Could you imagine them doing Dark Knight Returns in a single film? We already saw what happened when they tried to do the Death/Return of Superman in a single movie in Superman: Doomsday.

This is probably not a safe space, but... I liked Superman: Doomsday more.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is Watchmen supposed to be a done-in-one? It's been a while since I've heard anything about that, but it's hard to see how it would be adapted into a single film without a lot of compression.
We don't know how many parts it will be yet. The long standing rumor is 2 parts. Probably by SDCC this summer, DC/WBA will reveal it.

Frontier

Staff member
Not sure if it's DTVs but Jake Wyatt mentions, at the 1:20:43 mark, he has some other projects coming up. Some are in line with My Adventures With Superman but there's one that's 'very different' and 'left field'.
I wouldn't mind more MAWS-esque DC content but curious how "left field" we're talking o_O.

Otaku-sempai

With the release of a teaser trailer for Batman Ninja vs. Yakuza League, I believe that this might be the correct order of upcoming DC animated movie releases:

1. Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part Three (2024)
2. Watchmen: Chapter I (2024 -- revised)
3. Batman Ninja vs. Yakuza League (2024 -- revised)
4. Watchmen: Chapter II (2025?)
5. Aztec Batman: Clash of Empires (2025)

Does this look about right? Am I overlooking anything?

EDIT (07/08): Since Watchmen: Chapter I is already completed and rated, I'm gonna switch that to #2 and place Batman Ninja vs. Yakuza League at #3.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

The Crisis on Infinite Earths Trilogy could also be this year. I think the previous Deluxe movie combos were counted as separate releases.

Come to think of it, wonder if we'll hear about any new titles in a few weeks, at Comic-Con.
Yeah, probably. But for the sake of simplicity I'm not counting that. Looking forward to news from SDCC.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm not convinced WB Animation/HE will be at SDCC just yet.

My memory is a little fuzzy. I know they have been doing SDCC premieres as far back as 2007 for Superman: Doomsday, but when did they start using the after-panel to announce the following years movies?

They might just go for an X/instagram reveal... if they do anything at all.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Comic-Con schedules should start rolling out next week. With Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 3 being released next week as well there probably won't be a screening of the movie at the con. And it might be too early to screen Watchmen Chapter 1, too.

EDIT: No, actually Crisis, Part 3 is out on July 16, not next week, but it's still before Comic-Con. A screening of the first Watchmen chapter is possible considering the rumored release date of August 13, since that's around two weeks after the event.

A post on social media that weekend would be enough, if there's anything to announce.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It would be prudent to just do a blog on DC.com if they're going to inform us on the future of the DTV line and/or reveal more titles than to go to SDCC when the release dates don't jive with the week of the convention.

Otaku-sempai

It would be prudent to just do a blog on DC.com if they're going to inform us on the future of the DTV line and/or reveal more titles than to go to SDCC when the release dates don't jive with the week of the convention.
That only really applies to Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part Three. The timing of the convention has no bearing on later films.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts