Does anyone Think CN will shut down one day, since Adult Swim ratings is getting more higher and CN losing its hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
It wouldn't be so bad if CN actually had more stuff coming. They do (like Gumball) but any announcements on new original series??? Add on top losing the CN Studios building and losing both time and new series to Adult Swim.

I know CN isn't dead they assured us it wasn't but it sure feels like it. I don't think they've done enough quell a lot of the rumors and fear. Anything? A new series announcement? They had multiple series announced years ago we still haven't heard about.

If they're planning things it's been way too slow. It's been nothing but a slow trickle of bad news coming out Cartoon Network these past few years or so and with an overall lack of content. Just announcing a brand new original series or something would make things so much better.
THIS!!

If it is not removing shows off of Max and written off for taxes, if it is not cancelling shows and screwing over creators, if it is not Adult Swim hogging up the spotlight, if its not Cartoonito and ACME Night slowly decimating themselves, then what is it then? What is Cartoon Network doing right now?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Warner Brothers is going to have an upfront presentation on May 15. Hopefully, the studio will offer some insight on what it's plans for Cartoon Network are (assuming they have any plans for CN). Heck, at this point, I'll take any news regarding WB or CN that's not bad news.
Maybe, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Warner Brothers is going to have an upfront presentation on May 15. Hopefully, the studio will offer some insight on what it's plans for Cartoon Network are (assuming they have any plans for CN). Heck, at this point, I'll take any news regarding WB or CN that's not bad news.

I would expect there to be minimal info from that upfront regarding Cartoon Network etc. because they have a different set of advertisers, there might be brief mention for CN as some general advertisers might be interested. As with previous years, the Kids and Family programming will likely be announced separately.

harry580

I hope not, maybe they just doing the adult swim thing because Cartoon Network's lack of original productions in 2023 (a side from a cartoon that looks awesome), maybe we can get more info from the may 15 presentation

Moe

I hope not, maybe they just doing the adult swim thing because Cartoon Network's lack of original productions in 2023 (a side from a cartoon that looks awesome), maybe we can get more info from the may 15 presentation
I have to agree with @RegularCapital, I doubt we will see a big news about Cartoon Network.

The CN is already in doomed state and it is up to Michael Ouweleen to retool or revamp CN to make as useful before cable TV subscription dies. He can do it anytime.

harry580

@Moe, if cartoon network is in its doom state, I going to say that: the channel was a great concept but its execution was poor

Moe

@Moe, if cartoon network is in its doom state, I going to say that: the channel was a great concept but its execution was poor
Kids stopped watch and WB has a lot of libraries at their disposal to flood their schedule with diverse of shows for cartoon fans to enjoy.

harry580

Kids stopped watch and WB has a lot of libraries at their disposal to flood their schedule with diverse of shows for cartoon fans to enjoy.
what about the fox adult animated shows adult swim aired, they not Warner bros produced, they were produced by 20th century fox/20th television animation

Moe

what about the fox adult animated shows adult swim aired, they not Warner bros produced, they were produced by 20th century fox/20th television animation
Fox animated shows would be continue to carry under Adult Swim and WBD has no plan to kill those. Those shows helped WBD to collect more ads money.

harry580

so, they will do so until Warner bros is sold to a different company (my bets is on amazon)

Moe

so, they will do so until Warner bros is sold to a different company (my bets is on amazon)
It is unlikely to see major companies like Amazon to keep linear channels when they become unprofitable and they will whether sell or kill entirely.

If linear channels still make money, so Amazon isn't going to touch this and rerun of animated Fox shows aren't going away until they fall into unprofitable territory. It means CN is likely to die first before Adult Swim.

Don't get your hope up with future of linear TV businesses.

MGM+ is different situation - they are streaming service and continue to offer 4 linear channels that is same as sold as premium on cable TV. ScreenPix is premium as well. Amazon didn't make any changes with those services, beside increase the frequency of old movies air on MGM+ channels. Amazon closed MGM HD and rather to emphasize on MGM+. ScreenPix is all untouched.

Remember, acquisitions and mergers aren't always in your favor but it can be a lot worse.

harry580

@Moe, that's means Cartoon Network becomes adult swim?, if that was the case, I wonder if fox family would do that similarly if fox hasn't sold fox family to disney in 2001 given fox started to don't care about children animation once blue sky studios was becoming fox's new animated studio for families

Last edited:

Moe

@Moe, that's means Cartoon Network becomes adult swim?
No, it is unlikely and if you want this, so be prepared to see cartoon shows get cut/edit and speed up to make a room for more ads because CN shows air on Adult Swim means WBD is no longer required to meet CTA rule.

After look at WB did with TBS, it is very miserable and it did give me a close examination after PF9 mentioned about modest cut and speeding up with shows on linear channels.

I'm saying that CN schedule is going to be adjusted to make useful to cartoon lovers, so it means mix of shows from 2000s and 2010s are going to air on CN, so less spam with TTG and other recent shows. I don't see AS gain an hour since expansion appears to be peak or final.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I'm saying that CN schedule is going to be adjusted to make useful to cartoon lovers, so it means mix of shows from 2000s and 2010s are going to air on CN, so less spam with TTG and other recent shows. I don't see AS gain an hour since expansion appears to be peak or final.
Will they at least still do new shows?

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
At this point, you can't get rid of Adult Swim from CN, and you can't get rid of CN from Adult Swim. They need each other, because kids aren't awake at late night hours, and you can't exactly air ADULT Swim programs during the day.

But if I may slip into "old man yells out cloud" mode, I think Adult Swim has done more harm than good to Cartoon Network. Because Adult Swim is "for adults", it creates a pervasive feeling of CN being "for kids" among both advertisers and executives that persists to this day (see also: CN's intended YA shows, Superman and Unicorn, as well as a huge chunk of their classic library moving to Adult Swim).

In fact, the reason that Adult Swim begins so early now, despite the loss of Family Guy, the near loss of Bob's Burgers, and a continued reliance on shows from a company that owns a rival adult animation company with several of the same shows (FXX, which was actually beating Adult Swim in primetime before being pulled from Spectrum, and does relatively well despite it), is because "kids aren't watching TV anymore" and more young adults are watching in the evening than kids... and instead of pivoting CN to that market, they move everything to Adult Swim, rendering CN barren and malnourished, and diluting and infantilizing Adult Swim into "Anyone Over the Age of Nine Swim".

This strategy doesn't seem to work, either- while Unicorn and Superman did okay in the ratings, they were banished to Thursdays at midnight, and almost never air reruns, even after Superman became a massive hit online. Almost like these shows target a completely different audience from Adult Swim, and they- especially Superman- would have done just as well if not better on CN. ACME Night, after its ill-fated move to Adult Swim, seems to have ended (though Adult Swim is going to air The Princess Bride in a few weeks, so you never know), and not once has anything on Checkered Past ranked in the top 200 Nielsen cable reruns, despite airings of Futurama at 4 AM occasionally cracking the charts. Unicorn and Superman, ADULT SWIM shows, were nominated for awards... for KIDS AND FAMILY programming. What would be a sign of success for the youth-targeted CN becomes a sign of failure for Adult Swim.

In a perfect world, both CN and Adult Swim would target the young adult crowd that animation is increasingly popular with, with Adult Swim being adults only as the name implies, and Cartoon Network being somewhat appropriate for kids, teens, and families. (It's not like there's not an audience for these sorts of toons for the YA audience. Many modern Disney cartoons, especially The Owl House, are huge among young adults. SpongeBob became such a hit early on largely because of the large adult crowd, which quickly led to a primetime slot. And again, much more adults were watching CN in the evening than kids.)

Also, it was Adult Swim's Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie that caused the Boston Bomb Scare, which, while a massive overreaction from Boston, resulted in Jim Samples getting fired and Stuart Snyder taking his place, resulting in the CN Real era. So technically, Adult Swim basically started CN's dark age. Though to be fair, Re-Animated came out during Samples' tenure... and also current CN/AS president Michael Ouwleen was an executive producer on Re-Animated, though I'm just grasping at straws now. The point is, while I see the point in Adult Swim's existence, I also feel it's done more harm than good to the network.

Moe

Also, it was Adult Swim's Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie that caused the Boston Bomb Scare, which, while a massive overreaction from Boston, resulted in Jim Samples getting fired and Stuart Snyder taking his place, resulting in the CN Real era. So technically, Adult Swim basically started CN's dark age. Though to be fair, Re-Animated came out during Samples' tenure... and also current CN/AS president Michael Ouwleen was an executive producer on Re-Animated, though I'm just grasping at straws now. The point is, while I see the point in Adult Swim's existence, I also feel it's done more harm than good to the network.
If we have UK regulation in place, so Adult Swim would end up launch on TBS, rather than CN. CN's night schedule would be mostly rerun of old shows and cartoon shorts like they did in late 1990s and early 2000s.

It can be anticipate to include those regulation into amendment in 1990 Children's Television Act or 1992 Cable TV like they did put cap on ads time for cable channels. UK regulation did affect Nick@Nite and prevented from launch on Nick channel for years, but it should be written to allow family friendly sitcom shows and it wouldn't affect Nick@Nite. Disney Channel was premium channel at time when both laws were written, and after transitioned to basic, Vault Disney block was family friendly and they shuttered in 2002.

AS is one of most violent and offensive block that I seen.

his strategy doesn't seem to work, either- while Unicorn and Superman did okay in the ratings, they were banished to Thursdays at midnight, and almost never air reruns, even after Superman became a massive hit online. Almost like these shows target a completely different audience from Adult Swim, and they- especially Superman- would have done just as well if not better on CN.
Are two shows became hit on Max? More and more people dropped cable and they relied on streaming to watch those shows.

not once has anything on Checkered Past ranked in the top 200 Nielsen cable reruns, despite airings of Futurama at 4 AM occasionally cracking the charts. Unicorn and Superman, ADULT SWIM shows, were nominated for awards... for KIDS AND FAMILY programming. What would be a sign of success for the youth-targeted CN becomes a sign of failure for Adult Swim.
I do believe that they launched Checkered Past as part of experiment to see if rating gets better in specific hours. It was just like Viacom did with NickMom and it was failure, and they didn't shut down until 3 years later.

If CP failed, so WBD has to make a decision - revert to CN or keep CP for possibly years, or CN gets hours back and CP brand go away, but 4 old shows continue to air under CN.

Due to decline of cable TV, WBD could become more neglecting to linear channels as they shift all priorities to streaming service.

(FXX, which was actually beating Adult Swim in primetime before being pulled from Spectrum, and does relatively well despite it)
Yeah, it was surprised to see Disney gave up on linear channel.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I was thinking what to say. Read the thread. Brainstormed. Listen...

America is a different ballgame. It exists in a realm of its own outside of the other regions and countries. A bubble. Always has and always will. The market size and taste is vastly different. That's the "problem". The competition there (from my current perspective) is extreme. And so are the expectations and investments. At least with some companies that desire that instant result and success. While it's good partially that the current management is trying to break even and get rid of unprofitable or complicated assets, depends how aggressive they should be. What they are doing with the kids division and channels is a mess. Turner US may be their focus obviously, but it ties to Turner International where there are countless more assets at stake. Do you know how many channels WBD controls in Europe, UK and Asia Pacific currently? Tens more. Maybe hundreds. This division, in both meanings of the word, where they have to consider also dubbing, rights and other stuff is tiresome in the long run. They have their local managers, but similarly to Disney and Nick ie. Paramount they are trying to cut corners where they can. Globalize, merge, lay off, delay, etc. Cartoon Network and TNT has been stronger always in those regions that in the US. Most of the time. For various reasons. Not handled in the best ways sometimes, somewhat filtered, trying to be a "best of" approach, but doing well.

CN US came late. Nick... 1979, Disney Channel... 1983, CN... 1992. That's a lot of years to catch up to. CN established itself quickly and had a different library eventually, but still. Disney is Disney. And Nick... had 9 years. To be fair, I like(d) CN US. It gave us a lot of cool stuff that shaped the feeds overseas or stayed home and experimented with. Personally, I found US's presentation always the best. The rest are too simple for my taste. Save for Asia Pacific maybe.

But for the topic at hand, no, not really. I don't think CN linear will shut down. Definitely not in Central and Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa anytime soon. Other markets? Hard to say. I believe the channels will remain as a status symbolically since you can't have good internet everywhere. One channel isn't expensive to maintain. But they might be considering it. Based on how it will continue to do, which right now seems to be meh, it might become an eventuality. I hope not though.

The issue with CN US seems to be the same as the contrast with its overseas platforms. Only inverted from within. They did so much over the years trying to figure out what sticks that imo the problem is the channel is hard to read for people. Disney and Nick have a limited, also struggling, but thought out portfolio of channels. You know what you get when you tune in or just hear the name. With CN, you could say that applies to the shows they used to air where everyone knows the original Cartoon Cartoons probably and Toonami or Adventure Time, but it's harder to place a finger on. I mean, just look at the past five years. Yes, they shaked things up because they didn't seem to work. Now they are in the midst of doing the same again. CN's problem is simply the fact it has schizofrenia. It airs everything from everyone and changes blocks like socks. While that was great for variety sake back in my days, yeah I'm an old fart now by Gen Z standards lol, where did this lead to? Boomerang has been relaunched like five times, a kids block ditto, action before Toonami same, sports and live action was a manic episode for executives and depressive for us, originals have no real chance and identity (where the heck is that new CC programme?) and Adult Swim has been going back and forth like a handsaw - remember that one iirc Screwy bumper? Like... Hello? While I see they are trying with the latest branding, Cartoonito and HBO Max, even new Toonami, the pace and momentum... gone. Either they have bad planning, slow reflexes, low budget, but... it's not good. Where is the life the Network had in the late '90s? Have Porky and Moltar left the control room?

If you don't want to release classics on DVD anymore, put them on streaming or the channels. They should go somewhere. That's one thing. The other is identity. I don't feel like they are going all out with what they communicate. And new shows disappear either too quickly or stick too long to make sense. Spamming one show all day isn't an answer, nor is one slot with one rerun. While I am happy to see Boomerang revert to its natural form, business-wise it is troublesome. And so is Adult Swim. The block is what Venom is to Eddie Brock. They need each other. It's not a healthy relationship. Something has to change. Don't tell me please that there is not a solution and that CN can't be 24/7 again when it can be in Europe with even fewer shows and variety these days - yes, the "marathons" have arrived here as well, the "little piggy" would be proud. And don't tell me AS doesn't have enough content to run 24/7 at this point either when Cartoonito in Europe does and Boomerang in America as well. It's just all about how you lay it out. Like Adult Swim has aired maybe a hundred plus shows, probably more, and has rights to as many. And they buy/make new ones. One additional HD frequency costs little these days. Make it premium like HBO or put warnings and air anything during the day. Or transform it into a real block. Because now it works like CN&TNT did overseas in the '90s. Came 8PM, Jester pulled the plug and it was "good evening and welcome to TNT". I get it. Ads and money. And mature content. But if it was just Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, so what? The main content airs from 10PM anyways. Push back AS from 10PM. Not sure how it's in US right now, but in Europe after 10PM you can air anything on anything. I mean, there are ways. There just isn't the will. Or skill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts