Does anyone Think CN will shut down one day, since Adult Swim ratings is getting more higher and CN losing its hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Ever heard of separating paragraphs? I am NOT navigating that wall of text

I did find it hard to read at first even though it's interesting, but it's always best to politely ask.

You don't have to be a Zorak lol. There, I made paragraphs. No more walls.
LOL Thanks for splitting it up, I'll give it a read now.

cartoonnetworkpoke

I was thinking what to say. Read the thread. Brainstormed. Listen...

America is a different ballgame. It exists in a realm of its own outside of the other regions and countries. A bubble. Always has and always will. The market size and taste is vastly different. That's the "problem". The competition there (from my current perspective) is extreme. And so are the expectations and investments. At least with some companies that desire that instant result and success. While it's good partially that the current management is trying to break even and get rid of unprofitable or complicated assets, depends how aggressive they should be. What they are doing with the kids division and channels is a mess. Turner US may be their focus obviously, but it ties to Turner International where there are countless more assets at stake. Do you know how many channels WBD controls in Europe, UK and Asia Pacific currently? Tens more. Maybe hundreds. This division, in both meanings of the word, where they have to consider also dubbing, rights and other stuff is tiresome in the long run. They have their local managers, but similarly to Disney and Nick ie. Paramount they are trying to cut corners where they can. Globalize, merge, lay off, delay, etc. Cartoon Network and TNT has been stronger always in those regions that in the US. Most of the time. For various reasons. Not handled in the best ways sometimes, somewhat filtered, trying to be a "best of" approach, but doing well.

CN US came late. Nick... 1979, Disney Channel... 1983, CN... 1992. That's a lot of years to catch up to. CN established itself quickly and had a different library eventually, but still. Disney is Disney. And Nick... had 9 years. To be fair, I like(d) CN US. It gave us a lot of cool stuff that shaped the feeds overseas or stayed home and experimented with. Personally, I found US's presentation always the best. The rest are too simple for my taste. Save for Asia Pacific maybe.

But for the topic at hand, no, not really. I don't think CN linear will shut down. Definitely not in Central and Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa anytime soon. Other markets? Hard to say. I believe the channels will remain as a status symbolically since you can't have good internet everywhere. One channel isn't expensive to maintain. But they might be considering it. Based on how it will continue to do, which right now seems to be meh, it might become an eventuality. I hope not though.

The issue with CN US seems to be the same as the contrast with its overseas platforms. Only inverted from within. They did so much over the years trying to figure out what sticks that imo the problem is the channel is hard to read for people. Disney and Nick have a limited, also struggling, but thought out portfolio of channels. You know what you get when you tune in or just hear the name. With CN, you could say that applies to the shows they used to air where everyone knows the original Cartoon Cartoons probably and Toonami or Adventure Time, but it's harder to place a finger on. I mean, just look at the past five years. Yes, they shaked things up because they didn't seem to work. Now they are in the midst of doing the same again. CN's problem is simply the fact it has schizofrenia. It airs everything from everyone and changes blocks like socks. While that was great for variety sake back in my days, yeah I'm an old fart now by Gen Z standards lol, where did this lead to? Boomerang has been relaunched like five times, a kids block ditto, action before Toonami same, sports and live action was a manic episode for executives and depressive for us, originals have no real chance and identity (where the heck is that new CC programme?) and Adult Swim has been going back and forth like a handsaw - remember that one iirc Screwy bumper? Like... Hello? While I see they are trying with the latest branding, Cartoonito and HBO Max, even new Toonami, the pace and momentum... gone. Either they have bad planning, slow reflexes, low budget, but... it's not good. Where is the life the Network had in the late '90s? Have Porky and Moltar left the control room?

If you don't want to release classics on DVD anymore, put them on streaming or the channels. They should go somewhere. That's one thing. The other is identity. I don't feel like they are going all out with what they communicate. And new shows disappear either too quickly or stick too long to make sense. Spamming one show all day isn't an answer, nor is one slot with one rerun. While I am happy to see Boomerang revert to its natural form, business-wise it is troublesome. And so is Adult Swim. The block is what Venom is to Eddie Brock. They need each other. It's not a healthy relationship. Something has to change. Don't tell me please that there is not a solution and that CN can't be 24/7 again when it can be in Europe with even fewer shows and variety these days - yes, the "marathons" have arrived here as well, the "little piggy" would be proud. And don't tell me AS doesn't have enough content to run 24/7 at this point either when Cartoonito in Europe does and Boomerang in America as well. It's just all about how you lay it out. Like Adult Swim has aired maybe a hundred plus shows, probably more, and has rights to as many. And they buy/make new ones. One additional HD frequency costs little these days. Make it premium like HBO or put warnings and air anything during the day. Or transform it into a real block. Because now it works like CN&TNT did overseas in the '90s. Came 8PM, Jester pulled the plug and it was "good evening and welcome to TNT". I get it. Ads and money. And mature content. But if it was just Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, so what? The main content airs from 10PM anyways. Push back AS from 10PM. Not sure how it's in US right now, but in Europe after 10PM you can air anything on anything. I mean, there are ways. There just isn't the will. Or skill.
It all comes down to management in my view. CN post Stu Snyder has been managed horribly. Say what you want about the guy but he did pull off some good things. Ever since he left the brand has been in such a bad place. I agree with you statement about Adult Swim.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Also, it was Adult Swim's Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie that caused the Boston Bomb Scare, which, while a massive overreaction from Boston, resulted in Jim Samples getting fired and Stuart Snyder taking his place, resulting in the CN Real era. So technically, Adult Swim basically started CN's dark age. Though to be fair, Re-Animated came out during Samples' tenure... and also current CN/AS president Michael Ouwleen was an executive producer on Re-Animated, though I'm just grasping at straws now. The point is, while I see the point in Adult Swim's existence, I also feel it's done more harm than good to the network.
I mean, if you think Adult Swim done a lot more harm than good to Cartoon Network, then you might as well go all the way back to the very beginning.

Ever since 2003, Adult Swim slowly taken up Cartoon Network's timeslot more and more due to very successful ratings. Then in 2005, Adult Swim became the "adult" network, while CN was turning into a kids channel, just to please the advertisers, and.....welp, here we are.

As much as I want CN to be an all ages network, but it all comes to the bottom dollar at the end of the day. Even though I do agree that Adult Swim's takeover did led to Cartoon Network's downfall, I wouldn't blame on Adult Swim entirely as I don't mind their existence, and this is coming from someone who is not a big fan of Adult Swim.

Plus, at least Cartoon Network did released mostly good shows over the years, even with Adult Swim's absorbance. Whether you feel about those shows or not is entirely up for debate.

It all comes down to management in my view. CN post Stu Snyder has been managed horribly. Say what you want about the guy but he did pull off some good things and ever since he left the brand has been in such a bad place. And I agree with the Adult Swim situation as well.
Yeah pretty much.

cartoonnetworkpoke

I mean, if you think Adult Swim done a lot more harm than good to Cartoon Network, then you might as well go all the way back to the very beginning.

Ever since 2003, Adult Swim slowly taken up Cartoon Network's timeslot more and more due to very successful ratings. Then in 2005, Adult Swim became the "adult" network, while CN was turning into a kids channel, just to please the advertisers, and.....welp, here we are.

As much as I want CN to be an all ages network, but it all comes to the bottom dollar at the end of the day. Even though I do agree that Adult Swim's takeover did led to Cartoon Network's downfall, I wouldn't blame on Adult Swim entirely as I don't mind their existence, and this is coming from someone who is not a big fan of Adult Swim.

Plus, at least Cartoon Network did released mostly good shows over the years, even with Adult Swim's absorbance. Whether you feel about those shows or not is entirely up for debate.

Yeah pretty much.
A youtuber I followed said the same thing. Ever since they split the two brands in half in the mid 2000s it led to CN declining and losing hours as time went on. That's why I like the early 2010s so much. Stu Snyder kind of brought CN back to it's roots and made sure all the shows on the Network were for all ages and we all saw how successful that was. Then he was kicked out and ever since then CN has had such a huge drop-off.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
A youtuber I followed said the same thing. Ever since they split the two brands in half in the mid 2000s it led to CN declining and losing hours as time went on. That's why I like the early 2010s so much. Stu Snyder kind of brought CN back to it's roots and made sure all the shows on the Network were for all ages and we all saw how successful that was. Then he was kicked out and ever since then CN has had such a huge drop-off.
Sure, I can understand that.

Cartoon Network had massive potential during The Check It Era and blew it which makes me sad I really hate Teen Titans Go

mqg96

Cartoon Network had massive potential during The Check It Era and blew it which makes me sad I really hate Teen Titans Go
Bro I know! It really frustrates me. CN could've had a great decade!

I'm with both of you all. While I'm thankful for the impact Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe had towards multiple audiences... the CHECK it era had so many other series that should've lasted much longer.

Even though Toonami returning and Rick & Morty were adult swim related I still include those in the mix bringing CN so much life throughout the 2010's, but as far as CN goes the action programming getting axed too soon was the biggest blow.

I'm with both of you all. While I'm thankful for the impact Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe had towards multiple audiences... the CHECK it era had so many other series that should've lasted much longer.

Even though Toonami returning and Rick & Morty were adult swim related I still include those in the mix bringing CN so much life throughout the 2010's, but as far as CN goes the action programming getting axed too soon was the biggest blow.
You're right, by Check It 3.0, it really became a totally different channel by targeting a younger audience

Lanmanna

I don't think Adult Swim is the problem at all. It's not like CN has been doing anything with the time it does have. If Adult Swim was completely removed from the schedule, do people really think it would get better?

Adult Swim isn't the reason new shows, that had the potential to be the next Adventure Time, were canceled. Adult Swim isn't the reason why we got marathons of the same tired shows.

New shows airing on AS (that could have easily aired on CN) was the result of apathy. AS has been doing better because it seems like they actually care about their schedule and consistent recognizable brand identity. Of course management would stick shows on AS, where they actually have a chance to get an audience.

Lanmanna

It wouldn't be so bad if CN actually had more stuff coming. They do (like Gumball) but any announcements on new original series??? Add on top losing the CN Studios building and losing both time and new series to Adult Swim.

I know CN isn't dead they assured us it wasn't but it sure feels like it. I don't think they've done enough quell a lot of the rumors and fear. Anything? A new series announcement? They had multiple series announced years ago we still haven't heard about.

If they're planning things it's been way too slow. It's been nothing but a slow trickle of bad news coming out Cartoon Network these past few years or so and with an overall lack of content. Just announcing a brand new original series or something would make things so much better.
THIS!!

If it is not removing shows off of Max and written off for taxes, if it is not cancelling shows and screwing over creators, if it is not Adult Swim hogging up the spotlight, if its not Cartoonito and ACME Night slowly decimating themselves, then what is it then? What is Cartoon Network doing right now?
I often think back this interview in 2022 where we were assured 2023 would be so much better. What happened with that?

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
New shows airing on AS (that could have easily aired on CN) was the result of apathy. AS has been doing better because it seems like they actually care about their schedule and consistent recognizable brand identity. Of course management would stick shows on AS, where they actually have a chance to get an audience.
Reminder that CN and AS have the same president now, and yet Ouwleen refuses to put forth the same amount of effort towards CN than AS

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I often think back this interview in 2022 where we were assured 2023 would be so much better. What happened with that?
Well, the only 3 shows that premiered on Cartoon Network last year were Tiny Toons Looniversity, Jessica's Big Little World, and The Heroic Quest of Valiant Prince Ivandoe, and that's it.

BlooMac

Reminder that CN and AS have the same president now, and yet Ouwleen refuses to put forth the same amount of effort towards CN than AS
Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have always had the same president, maybe you mean a vice president who is in charge solely of Adult Swim. I don't know what you want from Ouwleen, it's up to Discovery to give CN back some budget for more shows. There are currently some upcoming shows on the way, which hopefully, don't get screwed by his greedy corporate higher-ups.

Moe

Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have always had the same president, maybe you mean a vice president who is in charge solely of Adult Swim. I don't know what you want from Ouwleen, it's up to Discovery to give CN back some budget for more shows. There are currently some upcoming shows on the way, which hopefully, don't get screwed by his greedy corporate higher-ups.
I thought that they have separate network manager.

Executive tends to be public and you can see their names but not much cases with managers and employees.

If Michael Ouweleen want to overhaul the Cartoon Network, so he would needs to force network manager to adopt the change or he would have to collaborate with WB human resource department to fire managers and employees, so that allow him to hire someone who agrees with him to overhaul the CN.

It is not unusual to see the disagreements with executives and managers, and companies are increasingly become more harder to fire someone without help from human resource department.

Markus Nelis

Oweleen does put effort to CN though. It's not his fault that WBD writes shows off. He puts a lot effort that you think he doesn't but there's just not enough new shows on the channel right now. He actually added variety on the network. I can already tell that it's now the channel for all ages. On air division is also better now. They have 4 promos in the rotation. They used to have random clips a few months ago. So yeah, I don't know where you're getting that "Oweleen cares about AS more than CN" but I just had my reasons that it's not the case. Putting CN shows on AS was safe enough that there was no risk for more write offs.

SanaaDean

Banned
Rlly, this is a complete disappointment with Cartoon Network. From time to time, channels may experience periods of change and difficulty. While Adult Swim is indeed performing well, there is a chance that Cartoon Network will retain its distinctiveness and continue to offer content for younger audiences. Cartoon Network's strong brands and history could be the key to its recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts