Episodes of series that made you quit watching a series

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Funny thing is, I enjoyed MLP FIM more after the first couple seasons. They started to phase out the "here's the lesson I learned" narration at the end of each episode, and the cast of secondary characters expanded so it wasn't always on the main ponies.

A lot of people dump on season 9 but any season that gave us "Common Ground" can't be all bad.

khuddle

Season 2, Epsiode 11 of Bojack Horseman: "Escape from LA". Just one of those episodes where you sit back and wonder: "What in the world were the writers thinking? Did they actually think they could get away with this?" I mean there are risky episodes, and then there is this one.

Essentially, Bojack travels off to New Mexico in search of an old flame (Charlotte) that he knew back in the 1990s. He finds her, and learns that she is happily married with two teen-age children. Determined nonetheless, he manages to catch her alone, and he professes his unrequited love for her. She admits that she still has feelings for him, but reminds him that she is married now, and her family is her priority. Frustrated, Bojack then decides to pursue...her 17 year old daughter, Penny, a carbon copy of her mother, only younger and hotter. Also more susceptible, as Penny eagerly accepts Bojack's advances, and the two plan to meet in Bojack's room later that evening. Unfortunately, Charlotte discovers them there, grounds the daughter, and informs Bojack that if she ever sees him near her house again she "will blow his head off with a shotgun".

Wow.

Now, it didn't make me want to stop watching the show (I paid good money for all 6 seasons and am determined to watch all of them -- I'm only through S3 so far), but holy moly did my respect for Bojack go into freefall after this one.

Last edited:

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Season 2, Epsiode 11 of Bojack Horseman: "Escape from LA". Just one of those episodes where you sit back and wonder: "What in the world were the writers thinking? Did they actually think they could get away with this?" I mean there are risky episodes, and then there is this one.

Essentially, Bojack travels off to New Mexico in search of an old flame (Charlotte) that he knew back in the 1990s. He finds her, and learns that she is happily married with two teen-age children. Determined nonetheless, he manages to catch her all alone, and he professes his unrequited love for her. She admits that she still has feelings for him, but reminds him that she is married now, and her family is her priority. Frustrated, Bojack then decides to pursue...her 17 year old daughter, Penny, a carbon copy of her mother, only younger and hotter. Also more susceptible, as Penny eagerly accepts Bojack's advances, and the two plan to meet in Bojack's room later that evening. Unfortunately, Charlotte discovers them there, grounds the daughter, and informs Bojack that if she ever sees him near her house again she "will blow his head off with a shotgun".

Wow.

Now, it didn't make me want to stop watching the show (I paid good money for all 6 seasons and am determined to watch all of them -- I'm only through S3 so far), but holy moly did my respect for Bojack go into freefall after this one.
Boy howdy, have you got a lot more future disappointment and even more lost respect in store!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Essentially, Bojack travels off to New Mexico in search of an old flame (Charlotte) that he knew back in the 1990s. He finds her, and learns that she is happily married with two teen-age children. Determined nonetheless, he manages to catch her all alone, and he professes his unrequited love for her. She admits that she still has feelings for him, but reminds him that she is married now, and her family is her priority. Frustrated, Bojack then decides to pursue...her 17 year old daughter, Penny, a carbon copy of her mother, only younger and hotter. Also more susceptible, as Penny eagerly accepts Bojack's advances, and the two plan to meet in Bojack's room later that evening. Unfortunately, Charlotte discovers them there, grounds the daughter, and informs Bojack that if she ever sees him near her house again she "will blow his head off with a shotgun".

Wow.

That episode is why the show is interesting and great. It turned BoJack into the villain of the series. The tension becomes will he get away with this monstrousness? And why should he? It reset the entire parameters of the show from a comedy with an antihero who was kind of jokey misanthrope to a serious drama about a seriously bad guy. And what was genius about it, is it still fit. All it did was take the misanthropy of the character seriously, instead of asking the viewer to love the character for it the way the producers of Firefly and House did Mal and House. It showed why the behavior was wrong instead of adorable. It gave actual stakes to a "charming" butthole mistreating women. And that's amazing.

JoeMabbon

Robot Clone
I dropped the 2003 incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when it moved to Fast Forward. I had pretty much aged out of the show by that point and the rebrand felt forced. The fact that they shelved the already started Ninja Tribunal story arc did not help things. By the time I got a chance to see Ninja Tribunal, people had already spoiled it for me. So Fast Forward will always leave a bad taste in mouth.

I have a similar issue with the Virtual World arc in Yu-Gi-Oh. It's just dropped right in the middle of another more interesting story and is just not as engaging. I eventually got through the rest of Battle City, but I didn't feel motivated to keep up with the franchise after that.

The Majin Buu arc just kinda ruined Dragon Ball Z for me. It honestly feels like a combination of the worst parts of the Cell Saga and Namek.

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
It wasn’t really an episode, but I stopped watching Regular Show after the switchover to space. I’d started to feel that the show had begun to run out of ideas and the change to space was one last attempt to keep the show going (not to mention the fact that I wasn’t really a Sci-Fi guy at the time).

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I stopped watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force after seeing Dickesode.

That episode felt racist and extremely juvenile. I am not watching that show as high art, but that has to be one of the most annoying episodes I have ever seen in animation or media in general. Apparently the creators love that episode, but I hate it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I stopped watching South Park after we started seeing more and more of Randy Marsh. One Homer Simpson is enough.

I stopped watching The Amazing World of Gumball after the last episode of season 2. I really wanted to like this show, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

I stopped watching The Proud Family after seeing the episode titled "Nothin' But the Real Thingy, Baby". The Oscar abuse was already getting long in the tooth, but then this episode cranks the obnoxious meter up to 11.

aegisrawks

I stopped watching South Park after we started seeing more and more of Randy Marsh. One Homer Simpson is enough.

I stopped watching The Amazing World of Gumball after the last episode of season 2. I really wanted to like this show, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

I stopped watching The Proud Family after seeing the episode titled "Nothin' But the Real Thingy, Baby". The Oscar abuse was already getting long in the tooth, but then this episode cranks the obnoxious meter up to 11.
Goldstar is my alt account because I HATE Randy Marsh to death.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

Essentially, Bojack travels off to New Mexico in search of an old flame (Charlotte) that he knew back in the 1990s. He finds her, and learns that she is happily married with two teen-age children. Determined nonetheless, he manages to catch her alone, and he professes his unrequited love for her. She admits that she still has feelings for him, but reminds him that she is married now, and her family is her priority. Frustrated, Bojack then decides to pursue...her 17 year old daughter, Penny, a carbon copy of her mother, only younger and hotter. Also more susceptible, as Penny eagerly accepts Bojack's advances, and the two plan to meet in Bojack's room later that evening. Unfortunately, Charlotte discovers them there, grounds the daughter, and informs Bojack that if she ever sees him near her house again she "will blow his head off with a shotgun".

Wow.

I was never as into the show as some other viewers but I couldn't finish that episode. After the prom, it just got so uncomfortable that I stopped watching and I never made it back.

Rick and Morty Season 3 was another quit point for me. I love Season 1 but by Season 3, It just felt like an endurance test for me. I'd see an episode like Pickle Rick and just enjoy nothing about it, and I completely hated Rick as a main character. After the finale, I had no desire to get back into it.

aegisrawks

Thank god I never tried out Bojack Horseman. I know its acclaimed, good, and all those praised attributes but I am going to be honest: I dont want to watch a show like that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts