General International TV Channels Thread

Francisque

Got a question for who from outside of the US watch cable channels.

Do you think that US channels are superior or better when compared to international version? What about opposite?

As from the US, I was jealous at Disney Cinemagic and Sky Cinema Disney because they aren't available in the US, also they had a separate Jetix channel. UK viewers don't have to pay a lot for premium channels (Sky) to have access to most movies since US viewers have to pay HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Encore and Epix to have access to most movies.

I'm very curious about how international version of cable channels look like.
It's a too broad question to be honest.

Some channels are better, some not,.some countries have better channels, some not.
Less reliance on advertising because here laws are much stricter though, yes.

In the UK, Italy and Germany Sky Cinema is still in a premium package, but HBO series and the likes, are on basic tier channels like Sky Atlantic.

In general , Europeans, especially Germans and partly Italians, are used to not paying as much as the US for TV, the request is just not there, especially with public.companies dominating the country markets.

BTW you might know already Cinemagic and Sky Cinema Disney have long disappeared

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
Someone on Digital-Forum (Italian TV forum) noticed that it seems that the channel for Crime+Investigation that existed on Prime Video and Mediaset Infinity is now gone, noting that Blaze had the same thing happening to it some months before the closure... Closure in the upcoming months? Sky Crime becomes a thing (since Italy never got it)?

Markus Nelis

In Finland the packages are quite cheap as well. I get most of the channels and they only cost for me 14 euros a month. Then again there are also sport packages. When you want to watch Sports it costs ridiculously 30 euros a month. If you want to see every Sport channel, it's around 60 to 70 depends on which cable provider you have.

As for the US, yeah, the cable there is extremely expensive that most customers have to pay 100 plus dollars a month. Then again I can understand why they always raise the prices. As less people are watching, they can't run the channels if they don't have enough money. They also have to pay to keep broadcasting the channels. No surprise that Spectrum didn't want all Disney channels back for example.

Moe

BTW you might know already Cinemagic and Sky Cinema Disney have long disappeared
Yeah, Disney+ replaced Sky Cinema Disney.

and interesting about pay TV oversea.

In Finland the packages are quite cheap as well. I get most of the channels and they only cost for me 14 euros a month. Then again there are also sport packages. When you want to watch Sports it costs ridiculously 30 euros a month. If you want to see every Sport channel, it's around 60 to 70 depends on which cable provider you have.

As for the US, yeah, the cable there is extremely expensive that most customers have to pay 100 plus dollars a month. Then again I can understand why they always raise the prices. As less people are watching, they can't run the channels if they don't have enough money. They also have to pay to keep broadcasting the channels. No surprise that Spectrum didn't want all Disney channels back for example.
Interesting, it would be less impact if FCC has authority to regulate on cable prices, retransmission fees and cable packages, such as allow customers to subscribe the package without sport channels.

When sports and retransmission fees are out, it would be similar to Philo and Frndly.

ilpuyopuyo

At TAMAX-TV HQ

From November, FOX will officially become Star Channel in the Benelux area (Netherlands and Flanders).
well, "FOX" brand leaves Netherlands for the second time since its original channel renamed to "V8".

Francisque

Someone on Digital-Forum (Italian TV forum) noticed that it seems that the channel for Crime+Investigation that existed on Prime Video and Mediaset Infinity is now gone, noting that Blaze had the same thing happening to it some months before the closure... Closure in the upcoming months? Sky Crime becomes a thing (since Italy never got it)?
Real crime documentaries are a huge deal, so don't worry, we won't be left without a replacement

J10

Sky Mix will be launched, replacing Pick.

RTE is closing Aertel (TXT service) this month.

Pierre Branco is leaving WBD’s role for France, Benelux, and Africa.

2X2 has reverted back to old DOG.

Last edited:

canyuksel97

Also Yesterday, UCL's Manchester United vs. Galatasaray Soccer Match Was Scheduled To Air On EXXEN,
But It Was Ultimately Failed Due To EXXEN's Website And App Crash.
Instead, The Match Was Moved To TV8.5 And Aired It As An Free-To-Air Without Encryption.

EDIT: It Was Aired At 10:09pm Turkey Time On TV8.5 By Interrupting Copenhagen vs Bayern Soccer Match

Last edited:

J10

CNBC Türkiye is planned to be launched on October, according to articles from last May, but I guess it’s postponing to next year.

Also, SRMG is going to launch Asharq Discovery on October 10th (The day CN Arabic was launched), which is NOT looking like an Arabic version of Discovery, and uses a different branding rather than Discovery Channel branding from 2019, through the 2008/2009 logo, which is still used on Discovery Family and Discovery Tamil. How weird the branding for the new channel is.
1696525777002.png

Rather than using the “Your Discovery Starts Here” promo, they used a promo with people in it and their slogan is “Satisfy Your Curiosity”.

Better for SRMG to make deal with the “History Channel” and launch a localized channel rather than WBD. I prefer Discovery to make a deal with Abu Dhabi Media and launch AD Discovery with the current logo, just like what happened to AD Nat Geo when AD Media did a deal with Nat Geo/FOX Network Group (Now called Disney Network Group) to launch the channel.

EDIT: France, Benelux, and Africa are combined with GAS, under a person called Clément Schwebig. Shouldn’t they just bring GAS with Nordics together (as Discovery Nordic channels are licensed in Germany), and pull Africa to CEE/ME/TGC instead?

On the other hand, Christina Sulebakk will continue to control the Nordic market, James Gibbon will oversee all Asia-Pacific (Including South Asia), and the rest will stay as it is.

Last edited:

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Sky Mix will be launched, replacing Pick.
RElaunched, to be exact, as there was a Sky Mix between 2004-2005, one of the former names of what is now known as Sky Replay.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

J10

RElaunched, to be exact, as there was a Sky Mix between 2004-2005, one of the former names of what is now known as Sky Replay.
This was a premium channel, which was Sky Two and Sky Replay, and it was called at that time, Sky One Mix.

Here it'll be an FTA channel this time, so I don't consider it a relaunch. It’s just a revival for the brand.

Which now leaves Challenge the only Comcast-owned free-to-air channel not to use the Sky name.
Challenge needs to be replaced by Sky Bet & Gaming, where they could air game shows and also bet, poker, and gaming competitions.

Last edited:

Francisque

Which now leaves Challenge the only Comcast-owned free-to-air channel not to use the Sky name.
And it'll remain so, there's no reason for Challenge to be Sky something
well, theres was a channel for that called challenge jackpot, that has since been closed
It's a failed formula, they better stay with Challenge, obviously

J10

The BBC News channel has scaled back its “visualized radio” experiment around six months after it was a centerpiece of the network’s relaunch.

The news channel has halved the airtime handed over to Nicky Campbell‘s BBC Radio 5 Live show, meaning he now has an hour-long slot on weekday mornings.

The BBC invested in new technology to allow it to broadcast Campbell’s audience phone-in show on TV after merging its international and domestic news channels into a single network in April.

The dispute for BBC’s five presenter is coming to an end in couple of weeks.

The change comes as the BBC’s dispute with five female news channel presenters is set to enter its endgame over the coming weeks.

Their concerns have been investigated by Daryl Maitland, head of HR at BBC Studios. Deadline understands that he is expected to deliver his conclusions imminently, which could pave the way to some sort of resolution.

The presenters are keen to return to work, but do not wish to take a pay cut or a demotion. Meanwhile, the BBC has been forced to turn to countless hours of freelance cover in the women’s absence.

Insiders say the dispute has left a cloud over the relaunched BBC News channel. They are keen for the situation to be resolved so the channel can have the best chance of success.

Also, since the merger, the ratings for the channel in the past months, has been declined to 9.5 Million Viewers.

I remember the time when BBC News Channel broadcasts at 8:30 AM, handing over from BBC Breakfast. Shouldn’t they just do this again and use Studio E for UK/Domestic topics at 8:30 until 10:00 better than cutting to domestic breaking news all the time?

Also, Yelda Hakim went to Sky News officially, and didn’t do a long final speech in the morning on BBC News Channel.

Unlike Victoria Valentine.

Also, BBC News Domestic has been switched over to the World feed on October 6th. In the past, we saw BBC World News switching over to BBC News in some occasions and it had some errors.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts