General International TV Channels Thread

Francisque

I wonder if the Indian one still has the old presentation still going on.

Also, this 22nd of November, CBS Reality UK is becoming... True Crime. Not to be confused with the True Crime that Sony had. Legend is also getting a new look. Reality Xtra and Horror Xtra will be renamed, too.
I would have preferred them getting a more general name, but it kind of makes sense I GUESS, when most of their schedule is true crime.

At least FOR ME it's a good thing they're getting rid of the CBS name, since it never actually belonged to AMC, which actually controls the channels.

@Markus Nelis OT: but I've actually watched a few Scandinavian operation; I thought they were more British, but ridiculously long ad-breaks and even frequency (UK channels are much better at that), no creativity in the adverts and the breaks, lack of idents or very easy pie idents, basically the Discovery channels have been ruined (like Kanal 5 Sweden, which had cool idents and now has something resembling ITV1 2001).

They're getting more and more boring and "European-ish" (similar to German etc, operations): admittedly I watched more Swedish and Norwegian TV, but the rest shouldn't be far behind.

Discovery Channel Nordics is particularly ridiculous at that

HGTV will be launched in the Netherlands by January 15th.
I guess a local version and not some kind of EMEA version?

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
I would have preferred them getting a more general name, but it kind of makes sense I GUESS, when most of their schedule is true crime.

At least FOR ME it's a good thing they're getting rid of the CBS name, since it never actually belonged to AMC, which actually controls the channels.

@Markus Nelis OT: but I've actually watched a few Scandinavian operation; I thought they were more British, but ridiculously long ad-breaks and even frequency (UK channels are much better at that), no creativity in the adverts and the breaks, lack of idents or very easy pie idents, basically the Discovery channels have been ruined (like Kanal 5 Sweden, which had cool idents and now has something resembling ITV1 2001).

They're getting more and more boring and "European-ish" (similar to German etc, operations): admittedly I watched more Swedish and Norwegian TV, but the rest shouldn't be far behind.

Discovery Channel Nordics is particularly ridiculous at that

I guess a local version and not some kind of EMEA version?
Honestly, with the rebranding, they also make disappear Reality Xtra and Horror Xtra, since they're unifing those to True Crime and Legend.

Francisque

Honestly, with the rebranding, they also make disappear Reality Xtra and Horror Xtra, since they're unifing those to True Crime and Legend.
Which makes sense and should've been done from day one (talking about Horror Xtra; Reality Xtra sounded temporary anyway), although I'm NOT A FAN of subbrands...

Markus Nelis

OT: but I've actually watched a few Scandinavian operation; I thought they were more British, but ridiculously long ad-breaks and even frequency (UK channels are much better at that), no creativity in the adverts and the breaks, lack of idents or very easy pie idents, basically the Discovery channels have been ruined (like Kanal 5 Sweden, which had cool idents and now has something resembling ITV1 2001).
Ads are for sure at least over 5 minutes. During sport events over 10 minutes. YLE is the only channel in Finland to have commercial-free content. Then again, the country gives them money. But MTV3 and other channels for sure have huge amount of ads. MTV3 when we extend the name is literally advertising TV (means Mainos-TV) when we shorten that to MTV. Also the channel brands/looks are plain boring. No creativity put to them. They're cheap. People just posing in bumpers kind of trying to be cool with logo put in their face.

Also I don't really view this thread and I don't know if anyone mentioned but C More is now part of MTV brand meaning everything under that merged to MTV. They can easily buy another company like I said, they get huge amount of ad revenue. TV channels also now called MTV. For example C More Sport is now MTV Sport and so on. So basically now MTV3 on it's TV channel can also air a lot of sport events. Which is a huge deal for free-to-air channel. C More had sports rights to almost everything. Expect for stuff that air on Eurosport (snooker, cycling, olympics).

Francisque

Similarly, the C More channels have all been absorbed by TV4 in Sweden and many have shut down, moved to streaming.

I know channels need advertising, but the placement tends to be quite bad, I've noticed.
On UK TV ad breaks are long max 5.30 mins/6 mins (6 mins especially on the UKTV network BBC Studios channels, although they're less frequent) and even less on public broadcsting stations, but on Swedish and Norwegian TV is something like 7 mins on peak time, sometimes even more.
Again, it's on Discovery Channel where it was pretty bad (and you can see it, 1 hour slots are 1:10 or 1h-something)
"Thanks" for the liberalization by EU laws

German TV has some 10 mins at times, and Spanish TV too.

I prefer somehow normal frequency and shorter; Italy to an extent is like that, rarely over 6 mins.

My thing is that overly long breaks are kind of counterproductive.

But the main problem is that on commercial TV, Nordic channels have dropped their creativity now

canyuksel97

Similarly, the C More channels have all been absorbed by TV4 in Sweden and many have shut down, moved to streaming.

I know channels need advertising, but the placement tends to be quite bad, I've noticed.
On UK TV ad breaks are long max 5.30 mins/6 mins (6 mins especially on the UKTV network BBC Studios channels, although they're less frequent) and even less on public broadcsting stations, but on Swedish and Norwegian TV is something like 7 mins on peak time, sometimes even more.
Again, it's on Discovery Channel where it was pretty bad (and you can see it, 1 hour slots are 1:10 or 1h-something)
"Thanks" for the liberalization by EU laws

German TV has some 10 mins at times, and Spanish TV too.

I prefer somehow normal frequency and shorter; Italy to an extent is like that, rarely over 6 mins.

My thing is that overly long breaks are kind of counterproductive.

But the main problem is that on commercial TV, Nordic channels have dropped their creativity now
Here In Turkey, Advert Breaks On Most National Channels Took 10 - 15 Minutes,
But During The Break An Programme Trailers Will Be Shown With Voiceover At The End Of Trailers.
(ATV Is Showing Trailers Of Series Without Voiceovers, But Trailers Of Movies Will Be Shown With Voiceovers.)

Insidus

I wonder if the Indian one still has the old presentation still going on.

Also, this 22nd of November, CBS Reality UK is becoming... True Crime. Not to be confused with the True Crime that Sony had. Legend is also getting a new look. Reality Xtra and Horror Xtra will be renamed, too.
Looks permanent and if so could it be duplicated elsewhere I can see CBS Justice Africa rebrand to True Crime while CBS Reality would probably rebrand to True Entertainment, True Reality (weird name) or True Television. Unlike the UK and some parts of Europe, CBS Reality in Africa had its crime shows move to a separate channel.

ilpuyopuyo

At TAMAX-TV HQ
CJ EnM's tvN Movies has launched its separated feed in the Philippines, however it was advertised as 'tvN Movies Pinoy'.

Last edited:

J10

WBD has sent request to renew HBO (Main Channel) license, which’ll expire in 2024, and waiting for accepting.

If the expansion is greenlit, it’ll continue until 2036, but if not, I guess they’ll find a new place after decade or more of broadcasting from Prague license.

canyuksel97

Yesterday, There's Some New Changes Of SPI International Channels Here In Turkey.

Gamescreen (Formerly Gametoon) Are Finally Added To D-Smart Platform,
With Gamescreen Was Replaced Fast And Fun Box On The Same Lineup.

Note That Docubox And Fightbox Was Renamed To Docuscreen And Fightscreen.

On Turksat Cable TV, In Addition To Fast & Fun Box, Filmbox Extra, Filmbox Arthouse,
Funbox UHD And 360 Tune Box Was Dropped By Their Provider
Due The Said Channels Was Ceased Transmission In Turkey.

J10

StartTimes/StarSat has launched 3 WBD channels (Discovery Channel, TLC, and ID).

Also, Boing has joined with the three channels.

Yesterday, There's Some New Changes Of SPI International Channels Here In Türkiye.

Gamescreen (Formerly Gametoon) Are Finally Added To D-Smart Platform, with Gamescreen Replacing Fast And Fun Box on the lineup.

Note: That Docubox And Fightbox Was Renamed To Docuscreen And Fightscreen.

On Turksat Cable TV, In Addition To Fast & Fun Box, Filmbox Extra, Filmbox Arthouse,
Funbox UHD And 360 Tune Box Was Dropped By Their Provider
Due The Said Channels Was Ceased Transmission In Türkiye.
Regarding Screen-themed channels, I went to SPI website and there isn’t anything about Screen channels. So, these channels looks like it’s from different owner just like the channels from Mimyuni Media, which headquartered in other places.

According to this post from X, the channel was launched interruptedly.

Last edited:

themidnightlore

Staff member
I was debating if post this here or the international kids channels thread, but AMC Networks pulled an Enfamilia with Biggs in Portugal.
Kinda. Instead of becoming a family channel, it became a teen-oriented one, dropped all the cartoons and anime, replaced with tv series and sitcoms and dropped the purple from the logo. Now it's green.

J10

After The Closure, JSTV 1's Current Frequency On Hotbird Satellite Was Replaced By NHK World Premium,
Which Was Previously Available In Asia And Latin America Countries On Most Cable / DTH Providers.
They mentioned the channel name (NHK WP) in the article.

Last edited:

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I was debating if post this here or the international kids channels thread, but AMC Networks pulled an Enfamilia with Biggs in Portugal.
Kinda. Instead of becoming a family channel, it became a teen-oriented one, dropped all the cartoons and anime, replaced with tv series and sitcoms and dropped the purple from the logo. Now it's green.
Well, when the name of this channel is right, so does the programming. That's the trend of dropping animated shows for the sake of teen sitcoms back in the middle of 2010's. Even Rai Gulp had this phase with less than 2 or 3 cartoons and majority of teen sitcoms.

themidnightlore

Staff member
Well, when the name of this channel is right, so does the programming. That's the trend of dropping animated shows for the sake of teen sitcoms back in the middle of 2010's. Even Rai Gulp had this phase with less than 2 or 3 cartoons and majority of teen sitcoms.
I think that is also helped from the fact that Portugal still has Canal Panda intact. So they still have a kids channel? I just hope it works for them, teen-oriented channels are a gamble sometimes.

RegularCapital

Staff member
JSTV (from NHK) has ceased transmission.

Probably because NHK World Japan already exists (although in English) it's more widely distributed so it's likely that there's slightly less interest in JSTV, on top of the economic conditions. At least (and as mentioned) it's being replaced with NHK World Premium.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts