General International TV Channels Thread

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
BBC Learning handover to BBC Prime (and vice versa at the end), continuities and CBBC Prime in-vision links from 2006. The ending ident for CBBC Prime is basically the UK channel's closedown ident.

I recreated the BBC Learning/BBC Prime handover 3 years ago as I remember seeing it as a child. But the real deal is finally here.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I know these info from before, but naming it as BBC Europe doesn’t mean that it should be Pan-European (for the whole continent), because it would focus on specific areas (e.g. CEE channels and also TLC Balkan, and African feeds for Sub-Saharan countries, excluding North Africa). At the end, I’m with what the BBC decides for the name, whether they wanted to keep the channel or merge it with another channel. However, BBC Entertainment is closing down unfortunately.
It kind of does mean that, to be honest with you.

canyuksel97

after 9 years of operations, CNN Philippines sets to cease operations on January 31, 2024.
This Was The 3rd Local CNN Channel In The Overseas To Cease Transmission.
The Previous Shutdowns Are CNN-D (Germany), CNN+ (Later GH 24, Now Divinity) And Finally CNN Philippines.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Channel 4 is making heavy cuts, and those include the closure of many or all Box channels.

If I were C4, I'd at least leave 4Music as that generic music channel, so that can really join their suite of main channels.

Currently playout and all, make 4Music a part of the Box channels, still

Channel 4 has too many channels, there's no need for the Box Channels to exist, and E4 Extra and 4Seven is pretty much pointless, especially when the Channel 4 app is quite extensive. That wasted money could've been spent on commissioning shows from indies that can't get their foot in the door.

Francisque

Channel 4 has too many channels, there's no need for the Box Channels to exist, and E4 Extra and 4Seven is pretty much pointless, especially when the Channel 4 app is quite extensive. That wasted money could've been spent on commissioning shows from indies that can't get their foot in the door.
E4 Extra was less pointless when it was 4Music, as it added an extra factor with repeats from older decades, overtime, by just becoming E4 2, it has lost its purpose, I agree.
It needed a new name, however, not sure if E4 Extra.

However, 4Seven is completely useless and is even using older branding

The C4 music channels are as a whole very unprofitable nowadays, especially since the branding is not theirs.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I think the best solution for the Box channels is to maybe sell them to another company, while Channel 4 could keep 4Music and make that available on their eponymous streaming service.

Francisque

Well, I could see Universal Music Group buying them, since they own the Now channels and Clubland TV after all.
Simply unprofitable, as music on TV in general is, except for fast channels, simply because they're less dependent on viewership habits

At most I could see them moving to higher EPG positions, that's all

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Simply unprofitable, as music on TV in general is, except for fast channels, simply because they're less depending on viewership habits

At most I could see them moving to higher EPG positions, that's all.
You know what, making them FAST channels would be a better option and it is worth knowing that one of the Now channels is available as a FAST channel on Pluto TV.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Who would want to buy these music channels, especially after the Trace fiasco...
Who would buy music channels in general nowadays, they now cater to the older generations with 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's themed music channels being popular.

You know what, making them FAST channels would be a better option and it is worth knowing that one of the Now channels is available as a FAST channel on Pluto TV.

Well there's also Trace Brazuca, Trace Latina, and Trace Urban on Channelbox. However FAST is the low risk option, but is fragmented as the streams exist on different platforms, but there are efforts to have some kind of integrated TV experience, Freely for instance, has a lot of possibilities.

Francisque

Even the often admired-by-everyone MTV Germany with loads of music, mostly on non-primetime, isn't gaining that much of an audience, in spite of them really trying to have a mixed package.
Admittedly, also because it's a return of MTV Germany (like BBC Three) on FTA, which had lost a lot of viewership by turning into a pay TV channel.

Sadly, I believe there's no simple way out.

I'd say one thing I would personally do is from MTV UK to turn MTV Hits into MTV 00s, as an additional copycat of MTV Music isn't needed.

And of course, VH1 Italy is gone and next is Vh1 Denmark

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
In Italy, a music channel can only live if it is associated to a radio, pretty much. See RTL 102.5, RDS, Radio Italia, the many channels related to Radio Mediaset's stations (R101, Radio 105, Virgin Radio and Radio Monte Carlo (the latter two are stuck on satellite only, though)) and some more.

Who would want to buy these music channels, especially after the Trace fiasco...
The Trace fiasco... I wonder what could have happened if Sony sold those channels to anyone else but Trace. Maybe it wouldn't have ended like the Titanic...

Francisque

In Italy, a music channel can only live if it is associated to a radio, pretty much. See RTL 102.5, RDS, Radio Italia, the many channels related to Radio Mediaset's stations (R101, Radio 105, Virgin Radio and Radio Monte Carlo (the latter two are stuck on satellite only, though)) and some more.

The Trace fiasco... I wonder what could have happened if Sony sold those channels to anyone else but Trace. Maybe it wouldn't have ended like the Titanic...
To be fair, these days it's a clever way of surviving for music channels, at least

I wish partly radio TV stations as a concept also existed in the UK.

And now Radio 2 Fiorello's show v"Viva Radio 2" (from 7am to 8) broadcast on both RAI2 and Rai Radio 2, has strengthened the radio TV station concept.

Think of something akin to The big Breakfast show on C4, except also on radio
@RegularCapital @J10

This show is very popular in Italy and even beats Rai1's main morning show often

RegularCapital

Staff member
To be fair, these days it's a clever way of surviving for music channels, at least

I wish partly radio TV stations as a concept also existed in the UK.

And now Radio 2 Fiorello's show v"Viva Radio 2" (from 7am to 8) broadcast on both RAI2 and Rai Radio 2, has strengthened the radio TV station concept.

Think of something akin to The big Breakfast show on C4, except also on radio
@RegularCapital @J10

This show is very popular in Italy and even beats Rai1's main morning show often

TV/Radio hybrid stations already do exist, but mostly for news, this includes Talk TV and GB News, also LBC can be viewed live but on YouTube. Radio 1 used to have an online stream. TV Podcasts are becoming more common on TV, especially with The Traitors being a recent example.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts