"Green Lantern: Beware My Power" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Witness the action-packed induction of John Stewart to the Green Lantern Corps, and his first thrilling adventure alongside some familiar faces in the latest entry in the popular series of DC Universe Movies.

Green Lantern: Beware My Power
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: July 26, 2022 4K, Blu-ray, DVD, Digital; October 24, 2022 HBO Max Streaming Service

Synopsis: In Green Lantern: Beware My Power, recently discharged Marine sniper John Stewart is at a crossroads in his life, one which is only complicated by receiving an extraterrestrial ring which grants him the powers of the Green Lantern of Earth. Unfortunately, the ring doesn’t come with instructions – but it does come with baggage, like a horde of interplanetary killers bent on eliminating every Green Lantern in the universe. Now, with the aid of the light-hearted Green Arrow, Adam Strange and Hawkgirl, this reluctant soldier must journey into the heart of a galactic Rann/Thanagar war and somehow succeed where all other Green Lanterns have failed.

SAG Award-winning actor Aldis Hodge takes the title role as John Stewart/Green Lantern, closely supported by Jimmi Simpson as Green Arrow. The voice cast includes Ike Amadi as Martian Manhunter, Brian Bloom as Adam Strange, Jamie Gray Hyder as Hawkgirl, Mara Junot as Lyssa Drak & Banth Dar, Jason J. Lewis as Ganthet & Captain Kantus, Keesha Sharp as Vixen, Simon Templeman as Sardath & Console Voice, Rick D. Wasserman as Sinestro, Sunil Malhotra as Power Ring and Rannian Commander, and additional voices provided by Nolan North.

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, the PG-13 rated Green Lantern: Beware My Power is directed by Jeff Wamester from a script co-written by John Semper and Ernie Altbacker. Jim Krieg is producer, supervising producer is Butch Lukic, and Sam Register is Executive Producer.

Green Lantern: Beware My Power Bonus Content
4K, Blu-ray, and Digital

-John Stewart: The Power and the Glory (New Featurette) – Whether in brightest day or blackest night, John Stewart remains one of greatest and most beloved heroes of the DC Universe – and of the many universes that he has protected in his groundbreaking 50-year career as a Green Lantern. This documentary examines his adventures on the printed page, the animated screen, popular culture and beyond, featuring all-new interviews with the creators, writers, artists, and performers who helped shape John’s legendary stories.
-From the DC Vault: Justice League "In Blackest Night" Part 1 and Part 2
-Look Back: The Death of Superman and Batman: Bad Blood

Discuss the Green Lantern: Beware My Power animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Green Lantern: Beware My Power animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Spoilers are allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:

-Green Lantern: Beware My Power News & Discussion (Spoilers)
-Superman: Man of Tomorrow Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice Society: World War II Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Long Halloween - Part Two Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The New Frontier Talkback (Spoilers)
-Green Lantern: First Flight Talkback (Spoilers)
-Green Lantern: Emerald Knights Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase Green Arrow Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Adam Strange Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League Action "The Ringer" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Green Lantern: The Animated Series "The New Guy" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Prisoner of Sinestro" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League "Starcrossed" Part 1-3 Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Green Lantern: Beware My Power

I didn't like it.

Now I didn't actually HATE it, and it wasn't really terrible or anything, but there were just a bunch of little things off that ruined it for me bit by bit.

I had been looking forward to exploring the origin story of John Stewart. In both animated projects I've seen him in (Justice League and Young Justice) he was already an established hero, and was never previously given an animated origin story. So I was looking forward to that.

But he's the guest star in his own movie. Once Hawkgirl and Adam Strange show up the movie becomes about them, and John is an afterthought. And once HAL shows up, it's a Parallax adaptation instead. John Stewart is no longer the starring Green Lantern of the piece. Evil Hal now is.

I also strongly dislike Hawkgirl. She's dumb. I understand not every DC interpretation needs to be the same, but Justice League version was Earthy and common-sense. And seeing somebody this violent and dumb in Maria Canals' stead really irks me. There's not even a HINT of a romance with John like in the Justice League cartoon, so her inclusion (as well as Vixen's) seems doubly pointless.

I will say this for her. I like that this is really the only other Hawkgirl interpretation besides Justice League that doesn't merely consider her Hawkman's doomed reincarnated lover. Yes, the character sucks in this version. But at least she's allowed to suck on her own terms and not be attached at the hip to a male lead. I like that much about her at least.

I liked the music in the main title. A lot. One of the few things in the movie I truly liked.

The fight in the Watchtower pissed me off. It's totally unnecessary. Not just because John is CLEARLY fighting with a Green Lantern ring, but Martian Manhunter is right there and should have immediately read his mind and intentions if he truly thought he was dangerous. It's the stupidest trope in superhero comics and cartoons, and it's SUCH a stupid trope I am always amused at the outrage fanboys have towards people who think comics are stupid kids stuff. As long as fans tolerate stuff like that, that's what they actually are. I'm sorry. That fact chaps your ass? Then tell creators to stop doing this crap. It's insulting to everybody's intelligence. This is why nobody takes us seriously. You can like superhero stuff if you want. For the most part, I tend to myself, as grumpy as I get. But I will never for one second begrudge somebody who thinks superhero comics, cartoons, and movies are juvenile. As long as this stuff exists, on some level they are. Which is why I'm unhappy. Comic book fans do NOT need to tolerate this. If they spoke up creators would listen and course correct. But you guys LIKE those fights. And as long as you guys do, yours is not an adult, serious fandom. I want it to be. I believe it can be. But too much crap is currently tolerated for me to pretend it qualifies as such now.

Man, I loved Watchmen. Why can't more comics be Watchmen? I don't mean dark, grim, and depressing. I mean intelligently written and seemingly timeless. Instead we get crap like Vixen noticing John's GL Uniform AFTER fighting his multiple GL constructs. It's a bit tiresome for me.

In fairness to this movie, I LIKE projects designed for kids. I always have and I feel no shame for that fact. But as long as that scene and scenes like it exist I refuse to consider the genre an adult one. It's unreasonable if someone demands I treat it as such after crap like that.

This next complaint was the thing that told me I'd probably wind up giving this a negative review. And it occurred so damn early, that I really did not like feeling like the movie was on shaky footing from the start. But the bit of the bum shambling about and drinking straight from the bottle was... I can't even describe how bad it was. What bothers my cynical ass most about it is that I am certain nobody else will complain about it. Not because they think it's great or anything, but because all of these types of movies contain scenes like this, and many of them a TON of them.

The guy drinking the booze is doing it so theatrically, it's like the producers are screaming in the audience's face "Look what we can get away with off Saturday morning!" He's making a noisy glugging sound just to sell how obviously he's drinking it. By the end of the scene he's less imbibing, and more making love to the bottle with his mouth. It's exactly as explicit and cringe as that. "Look! We're for adults! See?" Except, adults don't drink booze like that (unless it's on The PJ's). It's not realistic or credible. You want to convince me an animated superhero project is for adults? Try having the background characters behave credibly during everyday situations. That is far more adult than a guy chugging hard liquor like it's a bottle of Gatorade. Can I also point out that BECAUSE it's so theatrical, the animation looks outright lousy? I know the budgets to these things are super tight. You do a stupid thing like that, any animation flaws there become even MORE noticeable.

I was not happy. Butch Lukic is letting me down. Deja Vu with James Tucker's run quickly going (and staying) downhill after a promising start. **1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I liked it. But I didn't love it. Liked it left me a lot to ponder. Didn't like what appeared to be some over-editing.

Movie was visual eye candy and loved the old school sci-fi score. But for the former, I was shocked to see this was done by 4 overseas animation studios (like the previous Lukic movies using multiple ones) from Edge Animation, The Answer Studio, Maven Image Platform, and Studio Grida. But after the 2nd viewing, I could start noticing when one studio takes over from the other - you can tell because John, Hawkgirl, and Adam's change slightly over the course of the movie. Not horribly off model but you can see it if you squint long enough. Dug the ring energy VFX. Fight scenes were entertaining and full of energy, pretty fluid animating.

Thankfully, they pretty much stuck to John Stewart's backstory - in Detroit, was Marine, a sniper, artistic abilities implied during the tests he was doing, Middle East tour like in the more recent comics. The PTSD subplot was handled pretty well for the most part and the story John gets sucked into, in a way helps him move on from his trauma. Trying to be a lone hero but he's damaged then has to relieve the massacre of his unit in Afghanistan when they go to Oa, to the outpost, to the space battle. Meeting other damaged soldiers - Hawkgirl, Captain Kantus, Sinestro, and Hal. Forced to fight in a war again. Seeing the prejudices are in space too, hostility the Rannians and Thanagarians have, i.e. The Other. The full circle moment of a blade going through his hand. Finding a new oath that helps him find his way and by the end, he's surrounded by peers, having assembled a new unit to be a part of and is in a better place mentally and spiritually.

Ok, so there's a Justice League now. Shrug. These time skips between movies. Woof. Hmm, wonder if Vixen commenting Batman pulled another disappearing act is an innocuous line but it could turn out to be the basis of his next movie, that something's going on i.e. he's been captured. But it was nice to have confirmation they 'found' their universe's Wonder Woman since we met an AU version first so to speak in JSA: WWII. Hope Vixen gets a bigger role next time.

Was pleasantly surprised to learn that the DC Showcase Adam Strange short is canon to the movie canon. Pretty cool. And the movie did well enough that you don't have to have seen it to understand Strange but if you did, all the better and you don't need the extra explanations (and his words have more weight like when he shames Sardath for not trying to find his granddaughter). Kinda groaned they used the cliche drunk bum to foreshadow the Zeta-Beams and Adam Strange showing up later in the movie. And he did have to take over parts of the movie to get the story moving but at the cost of John moving to the back of the line at times.

Hawkgirl was the hardest to get behind. She was there to plus the actions scenes, for exposition, to help show the main leads can all get along there's hope blah blah. Then to wink at John before she leaves Earth with a veiled 'come see me sometime' line. Out the merry band, she drew the short straw on growing as a character, characterization but on the other hand, I'd guess they cut down a lot of her scenes for time so her arc ended up a little lopsided and 2 dimensional at best. But I'm still hoping she shows up again.

Sinestro, Lyssa Dark, Kanjar-Ro and Despero were obvious. But hats off to them for choosing 3 not-so-famous villains who originated in Teen Titans comics: Lord Damyn (don't remember him being a shapeshifter), a Branx (the 4 armed one), and the Gordanian Trogaar to fill out the motley crew of villains.

Before the movie came out, it was said Conrad's Heart of Darkness and the Apocalypse...Now! movie were taken as inspiration. Had a feeling Hal Jordan would end up being the Kurtz of the story. A kindhearted career soldier who reaches his breaking point and becomes a cold, psychopath thinking himself a ruthless god. Switch US Army for GLC, Vietnam and going up the river for Rann and Space. And I'll give it to Lukic and co. for finally doing an animated version of Parallax Hal. That took a bit of...fearlessness considering the Hal fans out there. The one part I think that was missing was maybe right before Green Arrow kills him, Stewart tries to scan Hal to extract the Parallax Entity thinking that's the problem but the shocker reveal is that it's not there and was long gone and not the reason why Hal was nuts.

Now with the war movie inspiration, it's not a surprise it came up but this still a story about superheroes. So I was a little mixed on John being forced to kill Sinestro and Green Arrow killing Hal. It poisons the well of the ideals of being a super hero with the justifications of a soldier having to do the right thing during war. John couldn't have summoned the ring only so hard that it hits Sinestro's head and knocks him out? Arrow didn't have a knock out gas arrow? And speaking of, Arrow having to bail out the lead and stopping the big bad felt off. Only for the two to be able to connect in united misery that they've killed.

On the other hand, there was a couple of things that looked dumb that just needed a bit more context to look passable. Like Vixen, Martian Manhunter, and Green Arrow immediately attacking John. I think the intent was to use them to foreshadow the tone of what was going on in space. There was one line about the Justice League being stretched thin and so I guess we're supposed to take that as they're on edge and some guy just walks into their meeting so of course the first thing they do it attack. If they weren't overworked and stressed out, then J'onn would have just read his mind. There wasn't enough visual or verbal context and instead we get a cliche hero vs hero fight. Another nitpick is they said rings fly off when a Lantern dies. But when Sinestro and Hal kill off the Corps, the rings are still on their fingers when Hal steals those 13 rings. Felt like there was a connecting line missing. Like earlier Shayera mentioned the Oan security net was destroyed. So was that the thing that guides the rings when the Lantern is killed? So without it, that's why the rings stuck around? Or I thought there was enough lines and visuals to show who entrenched Rann and Thanagar were with hating each other even to the point of endless bloodshed. So much that Sardath makes his own 'Atom Bomb' by weaponizing his Zeta-Beam to end the war with a shocking show of force intended to wipe out the enemy. But um, why didn't he just work on using the Zeta-Beam to teleport Thanagar back to its rightful place in space first then both sides could have space and time from each other and focus on diplomacy? But I guess again, it was said at least once, they had a fragile peace and I guess we have to infer that just about anything would reignite old feelings.

Overall, while not as flagrant as JSA: WWII, still felt a little like this movie suffered with having too much slam dunked into the second half but on the flip side, I'm fine with more of these mystery stories like TLH. Like it was a pretty big gamble that if Sinestro and Hal kept the war going, then Sardath would make the doomsday weapon they wanted all along that would achieve the goal of conquering the universe. Like if this Sardath had scruples and refused to make the Zeta-Beam a weapon or was a wartime KIA early-on that would have been embarrassing for the villains. Back to the 'ol drawing board.

Curious to see how the GLC will be rebuilt without Guardians but I guess that will be just skipped over. But it was pretty crazy, even ludicrious, how easily the GLC and Guardians were killed off by just Sinestro and Parallax Hal just to set up the story and prop them up as a big powerful menace.

***1/2

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Coming out of this raw, I have to say I really did not care for how they handled Hal in this. Like, I knew going in he was probably going to get killed off or something to make way for John, and I'd about made peace with that, but then they had to go and make him the actual villain that gets put down by his best friend while he gets a new best friend in the other new GL.

I mean, probably for general audiences and John Stewart fans, this would be fine (There are probably John fans who are more than happy to see Hal bite it or get his reputation torn apart so long as John gets out on top) and I know I'm talking from a personal bias because Hal is one of my favorite heroes, but it just didn't feel like it was necessary if they wanted John to be the sole lead. Although I guess the writers feel differently about it, and to go "all in" on John Stewart they had to basically demonize the "competition" with Hal or steal Kyle's origin. Especially odd to do for a character whom had been a lead or significant character in their series for a while up to this point (man, imagine if they'd brought back Josh Keaton instead of Nolan North for this).

I guess "hey, they finally adapted Parallax" will be one of the positives of it to some, but I don't think they even adapted Parallax well. There was none of the humanity or emotional pathos behind it from the comics, and they didn't even adapt his costume, which was, like, part of the main appeal of Parallax. I guess because we couldn't have Hal looking too cool as a villain.

Also Sinestro came off like a total chump. Felt like a real waste of him here.

I know people gave some flack to some of the changes or twists to Long Halloween, which I personally enjoyed, but this story beat really soured me on the whole movie, which sucks because I was really looking forward to it :(.

Dallas Kinard

Agreed. Tearing down one beloved hero to make the other come out on top looking better never works. At best it gets a few of the John Stewart fans happy...but that's all. I can't imagine the outrage if the roles were reversed in the times we are currently living in.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
How long before this film do we think the Adam Strange Showcase occurs?
I thought it was pretty clear the ending to the Adam Strange Showcase leads right to when he appears in this movie. So the start of the short is probably what like almost or in sync with the start of the movie.

EDIT: Also, DeMatteis did say Adam was stranded on Colony 75 for 8-9 years. We between the first and second Rann-Thanagar War, we're talking a 10 year span essentially.

I guess "hey, they finally adapted Parallax" will be one of the positives of it to some, but I don't think they even adapted Parallax well. There was none of the humanity or emotional pathos behind it from the comics, and they didn't even adapt his costume, which was, like, part of the main appeal of Parallax. I guess because we couldn't have Hal looking too cool as a villain.
It's tough to really 1:1 adapt Parallax because there's the whole bit where Mongul destroys Coast City during Death/Return of Superman and that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. With GL's having a limited appearances in animation or in the background lately, hard to say that it would be adapted in a TV show. I will admit that yeah, it was a quick and dirty rug pull on the audience that Hal was really the villain (and the mole I guess). After digesting it for a few more hours, I think I would have been cool with it being Sinestro and Sardath in cahoots and leaving Hal's ultimate fate vague to revisit in a later movie.

Also Sinestro came off like a total chump. Felt like a real waste of him here.
That, too.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It's tough to really 1:1 adapt Parallax because there's the whole bit where Mongul destroys Coast City during Death/Return of Superman and that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. With GL's having a limited appearances in animation or in the background lately, hard to say that it would be adapted in a TV show. I will admit that yeah, it was a quick and dirty rug pull on the audience that Hal was really the villain (and the mole I guess). After digesting it for a few more hours, I think I would have been cool with it being Sinestro and Sardath in cahoots and leaving Hal's ultimate fate vague to revisit in a later movie.
I mean, I can't say I was all that keen on them adapting Parallax to begin with, it just feels like to me it was used here to service what a specific subset of fans want to see with their guy coming out on top and Hal going Parallax to basically write him out.

And, honestly, John deserves better than that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I mean, I can't say I was all that keen on them adapting Parallax to begin with, it just feels like to me it was used here to service what a specific subset of fans want to see with their guy coming out on top and Hal going Parallax to basically write him out.

Which was weird because he was already written out having been hit by the Zeta-Beam. And then that could have been part of John's next arc along with helping rebuild the GLC would be to find Hal.

I'm curious if they were working under the mandate of 'let's do something different with Hal' because of all the basic interpretations of him in animation over the decades and so they felt like they had a free pass. Y'know, I wonder if DC flinched at all with them making Hal the villain...

At least Guy and Kyle weren't in this movie. Who knows what would have happened to them. Woof.

Frontier

Staff member
Which was weird because he was already written out having been hit by the Zeta-Beam. And then that could have been part of John's next arc along with helping rebuild the GLC would be to find Hal.

I'm curious if they were working under the mandate of 'let's do something different with Hal' because of all the basic interpretations of him in animation over the decades and so they felt like they had a free pass. Y'know, I wonder if DC flinched at all with them making Hal the villain...
I really don't want to feel like a conspiracy theorist and think they wrote it this way because they know how a lot of John fans feel about Hal (which generally isn't all that positive from what I've gathered), but it also surprised me that DC would allow this given they've been protective of characters' image in the past (the JSA wouldn't be used as parodies in the DCAU, Kathy Kane wouldn't be depicted as a villain, Katar Hol was changed into Hro Talak, etc.).

Unless this says a lot about how much less of a priority Hal is at this point :sweat:.

I'm actually kind of surprised that this came from Altbacker and Krieg considering they were a part of GL:TAS.
At least Guy and Kyle weren't in this movie. Who knows what would have happened to them. Woof.
Well, they stole elements of Kyle's origin already so :p.

If Guy ever showed up, I'd assume he'd probably just be another sidekick to John or just someone John can be the straight man too...

Wag

Guy is in the movie- he’s dead on the ground on OA.

Sorry to be Mr. Bringdown here but this movie sucked. It’s poorly animated, written and executed. It seems they go out of their way to ruin our favorite heroes at the expense of building up John Stewart.

The animation is that flat, 2D style, that reminds me of an episode of Archer but even worse at times. I could clearly catch errors in the animation, where one character would bleed into another. The motion was stilted and stuttery, pure garabge.

The plot made no sense- Ollie knows about astral physics and how to navigate a star ship? John is not shocked to be in outer space and encountering alien races for the first time? Adam Strange is Ranian with a meta-gene (makes no sense) and not human? Even if he was a human-meta that is clearly contrary to the whole mythos of the character. Adam Strange has always been an ordinary human caught up in extraordinary circumstances. That’s the point.

Sinestro and Parallax get taken down by brand new GL John Stewart when the rest of the seasoned corps and even Guardians cannot? What?

Garbage, pure garbage.

The more that I think about it the more I regret giving it two stars. Can I change my vote?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Guy is in the movie- he’s dead on the ground on OA.
Hmm. I'd have to go back. Wait, was he the one with a yellow eyepatch? Oh well.

The more that I think about it the more I regret giving it two stars. Can I change my vote?
At the poll at the top of the thread, do you see the button now seeing "Change Vote"?

Wag

Hmm. I'd have to go back. Wait, was he the one with a yellow eyepatch? Oh well.

At the poll at the top of the thread, do you see the button now seeing "Change Vote"?
Thanks. 1 1/2 is being generous. This one is a definite pass.

I’m pretty sure that’s Guy on the ground. It was difficult to tell if that was an eyepatch or not but it definitely looked like Guy.

EmaHalJordan

Mixed feelings.

I think it's a good movie but with decisions that make you angry.

It made me angry to see this soft Emerald Twilight, it is after Crisis on Infinite Earths the comic that I read the most times in my life. I love that comic. It's a great epic story with Hal killing the Corps, coming to Oa in his final fight against Sinestro, the Guardians stating that he was the best man of his, and that it will be the doctrine that guides the universe now?, the end of everything. THESE ARE VERY GREAT MOMENTS THAT DESERVED AN EXACT ADAPTATION. Hal stepping on his ring, crying before the Guardians. It makes me very angry because we had many exact adaptations of Batman, and this was a saga that deserved it.
When I first read Emerald Twilight I did it before reading Reign of the Supermen, on the first page I found out that Coast City was destroyed and I already understood everything and I was very moved. They ruined a great dream for me, hopefully one day I can see it come true, maybe in the HBO MAX series.
I liked that Hal is still "the greatest of the Green Lanterns" and his relationship with Oliver, although it made me feel bad that he didn't grab Hal's dead body, he left him lying around.

Lastly, it's amazing that they redesign the beautiful Parallax suit. It pissed me off that rookie John Stewart kills Sinestro and easily beats Parallax. I love this Justice League, I love seeing Shayera Green Arrow Martian Manhunter and Vixen, I'm sorry that animated movies keep leaving Ray Palmer Atom out, I hope I'm lucky enough to see him in Warworld!

I hope that at least this Hal comes back to give his life in the Final Night and they can get that epic sacrifice from the comics!
P000183.jpg

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

If the idea was to build up John it was a failure. Because it stopped being John's movie and turned into Hal's. That was my problem with it. John was overshadowed first by Hawkgirl and Adam Strange, and then by Parallax.

EmaHalJordan

If the idea was to build up John it was a failure. Because it stopped being John's movie and turned into Hal's. That was my problem with it. John was overshadowed first by Hawkgirl and Adam Strange, and then by Parallax.
That Hal outshines John doesn't bother me. At a certain point I even liked it. =)
As much as many don't like it and John is their favorite GL, Hal doesn't have enough animated movies yet.
If you're such a good Green Lantern you should have your great stories, not adapt Sinestro Corps War and put John, Hard Traveling Heroes and put John, Blackest Night and put John.
That's stealing Hal's stories and that's what's unfair about it all. Hal is the great Green Lantern and he only has 2 animated movies, too soon to pass the torch.

Exactly what I liked about the movie is that Hal outshone John but what I hate about this movie is the lousy adaptation of Parallax.
I think if there was no Emerald Twilight to compare I would be happy with the movie.
Flashpoint Paradox and Under the Red Hood are examples of movies that surpass the comic, in Beware My Power it's the other way around.

Frontier

Staff member
This movie made me appreciate First Flight more.

Not that the idea of one lone GL restoring and saving a battered GLC isn't without merit (it's basically the plot of Green Lantern: Earth One) but First Flight showed how to effectively do a GL origin story, how to effectively depict Sinestro as a villain, and that you didn't need to annihilate the entire Corps. to do it.

Last edited:

Dallas Kinard

It's sad w
I really don't want to feel like a conspiracy theorist and think they wrote it this way because they know how a lot of John fans feel about Hal (which generally isn't all that positive from what I've gathered), but it also surprised me that DC would allow this given they've been protective of characters' image in the past (the JSA wouldn't be used as parodies in the DCAU, Kathy Kane wouldn't be depicted as a villain, Katar Hol was changed into Hro Talak, etc.).

Unless this says a lot about how much less of a priority Hal is at this point :sweat:.

I'm actually kind of surprised that this came from Altbacker and Krieg considering they were a part of GL:TAS.

Well, they stole elements of Kyle's origin already so :p.

If Guy ever showed up, I'd assume he'd probably just be another sidekick to John or just someone John can be the straight man too...
It's a shame we live in a world where fans can't just like both characters without having to pit them against each other. Recent years within the GL fandom have been incredibly divisive and toxic. It almost seems like if you like John, you're awesome without question. But if you like Hal or Kyle, you have to justify it for some reason when all three characters are strong, heroic, noble men - yet different from eachother.

I grew up with Kyle and John because of the DCAU so I've always been more familiar with them. Heck, John's appearance on Static may be my favorite John Stewart episode. But I also like Hal because he's got more of a sense of humor and isn't always as serious.

My wife and I have been going through the DCAU for a few years now (she still hasn't seen it all) and she really liked Kyle in STAS and was frankly disappointed he was swapped out for John. When Kyle returned in JLU briefly, it was like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in years for her. She's still more of a Kyle fan because in the DCAU at least, he was introduced first and got a proper origin, something the DCAU lacked for John.

Anyway, this film did John AND Hal dirty. And now we are back to being polarized instead of having a GL film that respects all of the iconic GL's. The DCAU didn't have this problem. Hal's minor appearance was a crowd-cheer moment as short lived as it was. Nobody then would have gotten upset if someone cheered louder for Hal than John. But in today's increasingly polarized world where everything seems to be divided up into sides or camps or tribes, we can't have unity among even fictional works.

EmaHalJordan

The problem is not just something in this movie, as much as many want to doubt it, Hal is the main Green Lantern. There are many people who want to put them on an equal footing and this is not the case. Hal is the cornerstone of the Green Lantern mythos and I accept the appearances of other Lanterns, I also accept that they have their movies, but when you look around and see Beware My Power with John, League of the Superpets with Jessica Cruz, the game of Suicide Squad with John, the Snyder Cut that was going to have John, the arrowverse almost has John, the HBO MAX series that is going to have Alan, Guy, Jessica, and Simon Baz.
I think there are many people who hate Hal and do everything possible to make him disappear.
The director of Beware My Power told in an interview that it is a dream to make an animated film of the Green Lantern Green Arrow team because it is something that has never been done and in the comics it is a classic. It looks like a provocation! Of course I know, all these years I dreamed of seeing an animated movie of Hal and Ollie teaming up because IT IS A CLASSIC!
Even in the first episode of JLU we saw John and Ollie team up but we never saw the real emerald duo work together in animation!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts