International Disney Networks Thread Part 11

RegularCapital

Staff member
If using the March or September equinox as an average in terms of daylight hours, the time zones are about right.

For Spain, I suppose it was a hard decision as a lot of people live towards the east (Barcelona and Valencia), with the exception of Madrid and wanted to be inline with most of Western Europe. Portugal is right to use GMT/WET/WEST, they did a CET experiment in the 1990's and it didn't go too well.

Francisque

Time zones are never going to be perfect particularly at a national level, but Spain is losing out

Too many compromises such as the weird times of the Spanish society as opposed to the French and even Portugal ones.
Plus, they could have continuity with Portugal at a time zone level; I understand they feel closeness to the CET areas, particularly in the eastern areas, but this is all messy

Of course, Canary Islands do not need to be UTC+0 either but UTC-1

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
If using the March or September equinox as an average in terms of daylight hours, the time zones are about right.

For Spain, I suppose it was a hard decision as a lot of people live towards the east (Barcelona and Valencia), with the exception of Madrid and wanted to be inline with most of Western Europe. Portugal is right to use GMT/WET/WEST, they did a CET experiment in the 1990's and it didn't go too well.

Useless fact: during the CET period, foreign channels in magazines still had WET listings.

Francisque

I think DC Nordic more than ever is DC Scandinavia; it has always been so, now it mostly broadcast to Scandinavian countries first (no Finland; maybe Iceland)

Markus Nelis

DC Scandi is still broadcasting in Finland and Iceland as well. Obviously the channel is still textless and promos are in English. I don't see a problem for us keeping it (time zone is different though). Meanwhile Baltics have decided to stick with DC EMEA which is a right call. They basically have a lot of Pan feeds. So yeah, the feed is now exclusively to just Northern Europe countries.

Francisque

Sorry, I thought you had stopped receiving DC Scandi in Finland now, replaced by EMEA?

Better for you, Scandinavia/Nordic or whatever is the better feed

Reactions: J10

Markus Nelis

Sorry, I thought you had stopped receiving DC Scandi in Finland now, replaced by EMEA?

Better for you, Scandinavia/Nordic or whatever is the better feed
Well, yes I mentioned that Baltics still have DC EMEA but Finland got the feed ever since the relaunch in April. I wouldn't share the news about it if I still had DC EMEA.

Both feeds are good imo: while I love the balance between live-action and cartoons on DC EMEA, DC Nordic has more variety. I don't like that 12/12h balance though where preschool shows get half of the airtime. Outside of Bluey they don't appeal to me so I could care less. Overall I would take DC EMEA but Scandi is far from being bad either. It's quite decent.

Francisque

Well, yes I mentioned that Baltics still have DC EMEA but Finland got the feed ever since the relaunch in April. I wouldn't share the news about it if I still had DC EMEA.

Both feeds are good imo: while I love the balance between live-action and cartoons on DC EMEA, DC Nordic has more variety. I don't like that 12/12h balance though where preschool shows get half of the airtime. Outside of Bluey they don't appeal to me so I could care less. Overall I would take DC EMEA but Scandi is far from being bad either. It's quite decent.
Sorry, I've totally messed p LOL

DC Nordic though feels more alive, although yes, this "balance" thing is annoying, although I can get why they do that: there are preschoolers watching at all times

Markus Nelis

Sorry, I've totally messed p LOL

DC Nordic though feels more alive, although yes, this "balance" thing is annoying, although I can get why they do that: there are preschoolers watching at all times
They have preschool shows at 3a even. Are they watching then xD? And I agree it's more alive. No more of those Disney Plus mentions and actually the only kids channel left that mentions timeslots. They really take this channel more seriously. But they're starting to slowly say those general "watch Miraculous on Disney Channel" or other shows so it starts to remind me something they did right before they temporarily shut down the feed. Everything was "(no timeslot) on Disney Channel and available to stream on Disney Plus"

(btw I'm in Estonia watching DC EMEA so I can ignore preschool stuff for a little bit. They have Disney Junior in this hotel room)

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
So I heard recently something interesting. @BloggerHU might know more. Supposedly the reason why many of the older shows got a (re)dub around y2k (between 1997-2005 roughly) was because Disney was considering launching ToonDisney in CEE. But then plans changed after they bought FoxKids and Jetix.

JulianRO

Of course, that was their first intent.
Sources say Disney plans to convert the international channels to Toon Disney, a cartoon channel launched in 1998 that reaches more than 15 million subscribers in the U.S. but has very little international distribution.

MagiaDiWinx

Another instance early on in the first few months of the Circles era on DC UK. Includes promos for The Lion King, the channel's website at the time, and Christmas film premieres.
It’s interesting the way TV approaches the "Disney classics." I know Spain and Latin America air them frequently, or did. But a lot are sparsely broadcast worldwide, and have always been that way.

TVArchive

former Disney employees don't have promos from Jetix and Disney. there was some kind of system that did not allow to take something. but still, they somehow made these promos, how did they disappear in the first place? Maybe someone knows better? or was that a deliberate response?
1000245396.jpg

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts