International Nickelodeon Thread Part 13

shoohorn

Didn’t most European Nickelodeon channels lose interest in older shows according to a post on here? If anything it’ll probably air on Comedy Central or Paramount Channel

shoohorn

I find it disturbing how almost every international Nickelodeon channel (and now even non-Paramount channels) has adopted remastered prints of SpongeBob SquarePants, meanwhile South Park still has 20+ year old masters airing on some European channels

Francisque

I find it disturbing how almost every international Nickelodeon channel (and now even non-Paramount channels) has adopted remastered prints of SpongeBob SquarePants, meanwhile South Park still has 20+ year old masters airing on some European channels
Add to that Pluto TV, although that might be the case of them being cheap to give P+ an advantage

shoohorn

Add to that Pluto TV, although that might be the case of them being cheap to give P+ an advantage
Actually I saw PlutoTV is still using 14:9 masters that European Nickelodeon channels once aired (at least only SpongeBob as I have seen evidence that other shows and films are from older masters in Brazil and Latin America)

NewBogus :)

You're fired!

Depends, Comedy Central PL airs Seasons 7-10 of South Park with their 16:9 HD masters.

MagiaDiWinx

The UK Nicktoons is only in SD, even though Nicktoons in other countries has been HD for a long time. It really bothers me because for the most part, Nick UK doesn’t air cartoons (it’s more of an informal “breakfast block” and then doesn’t air the rest of the day) and so there is no HD linear place for them apart from the on-and-off Saturday morning block on C5. (To be honest, I always thought Nick UK would be a good candidate to be terrestrial, rather than a Milkshake channel.)

Nick UK is really dedicated to their live-action shows, which is why old stuff is constantly reran (again, because it gets high ratings), though intermittently and in inconsistent timeslots, yet they neglect their cartoons.

I think it’s a kind of move to promote streaming, whether Nick’s own on-demand or Paramount+, but Nicktoons UK was always outdated like being in 4:3 until 2017 - though back then, they were heavy on older SpongeBob reruns and even older shows like Rugrats, so I think that’s to do with it even though they could just not crop the shows (Nick only started cropping when they became widescreen around late 2013, but the watermark was 4:3 safe so I don’t know what’s up with that) and it would be fine.

Francisque

Yeah, the whole situation of HD channels in the UK is a bit strange and underinvested, especially on Freeview

nevocated

Genius inspiration overflow
The UK Nicktoons is only in SD, even though Nicktoons in other countries has been HD for a long time. It really bothers me because for the most part, Nick UK doesn’t air cartoons (it’s more of an informal “breakfast block” and then doesn’t air the rest of the day) and so there is no HD linear place for them apart from the on-and-off Saturday morning block on C5. (To be honest, I always thought Nick UK would be a good candidate to be terrestrial, rather than a Milkshake channel.)

Nick UK is really dedicated to their live-action shows, which is why old stuff is constantly reran (again, because it gets high ratings), though intermittently and in inconsistent timeslots, yet they neglect their cartoons.

I think it’s a kind of move to promote streaming, whether Nick’s own on-demand or Paramount+, but Nicktoons UK was always outdated like being in 4:3 until 2017 - though back then, they were heavy on older SpongeBob reruns and even older shows like Rugrats, so I think that’s to do with it even though they could just not crop the shows (Nick only started cropping when they became widescreen around late 2013, but the watermark was 4:3 safe so I don’t know what’s up with that) and it would be fine.
Nickelodeon in the 2010s began to phase out cartoons and shift them to Nicktoons, with some shows making their UK debuts on the channel (i.e The Loud House). Some toons would air on Nick but only at graveyard slots, it wasn't until 2022/23 when cartoons would gradually air more frequently on Nick.

Fast forward to now and Nicktoons is being treated the same way as Nick Jr. Too. I've also heard somewhere that the viewership for the channel is declining, I sure wonder why.

Walker

This may be Turkey's preference, but Nicktoons Global - Turkey feed still has SD broadcast. (If I'm not mistaken, Global has HD broadcasting.)

Last edited:

Francisque

Actually Nickelodeon UK shows more cartoons than ever

Nicktoons obviously needs to be in HD in the UK, although yes, its task is now to be Nickelodeon Two, rather than "Nicktoons" against a Nickelodeon which worked similar to TeenNick as in the past (competing against DIsney Channel)
Probably they're competing more against Cartoon Network now, as opposed to Disney Channel

Now it's a bit more balanced

MagiaDiWinx

Actually Nickelodeon UK shows more cartoons than ever

Nicktoons obviously needs to be in HD in the UK, although yes, its task is now to be Nickelodeon Two, rather than "Nicktoons" against a Nickelodeon which worked similar to TeenNick as in the past (competing against DIsney Channel)
Probably they're competing more against Cartoon Network now, as opposed to Disney Channel

Now it's a bit more balanced
I can be a little clueless which is honestly just down to being older than everyone, so not personally watching these channels.

Anyway…on analogue cable, Nick UK continued after 2001 and even still time-shared with Paramount but I don't know how they did the handover. The way pre-2001 was the cows appearing twice, once at 7 for everyone (the channel "closed down" then immediately continued on Sky Digital), then again at 10 on Sky Digital. This wasn’t the case afterwards but again, I don’t know what they ended up doing to handover on digital.

I think the reason Nick had such early digital closing times was simply to fit in more hours of teleshopping earlier on so they could air the European shows (like Winx Club, Rabbids Invasion, random Peppa Pig and Ben & Holly airings on main Nick) when there is genuinely nobody up. They also tried to go 24/7 in September 2011 and I think another time as well.

Last edited:

Markus Nelis

Nickelodeon fits by having a mixture of live-action and cartoons so it's good to see Nick UK finally treating their cartoons with respect. Nicktoons is there as a backup marathon channel at this point.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts