Is WarnerDiscovery going to kill Cartoon Network?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
In a recent video from The Roundtable, a deleted tweet from an anonymous someone who works in the cartoon industry said that he "heard more than a few people forecast that Cartoon Network will not exist as a brand by the end of the year and all just get downsized and rolled under the Warner Bros. Animation umbrella."

Does this mean that Warner Bros. Discovery plans to shut down Cartoon Network, killing off all the planned projects for it?

MegasMilo379

Finally.
That's a very reactionary statment/tweet based on a very reactionary situation (IMHO). I believe we won't know the truth until the facts are made clear. Personally, I don't watch The Roundtable because the few videos I've watched feel like opinion passed off as fact with clickbaity titles and thumbnails to match, so I don't go to them (and several others for those reasons. And I don't trust whatever that random rumor tweet either; no wonder it was deleted. I suggest we wait and see where this goes from here -- say until the end of this year or a year from now, but in this day age there are people would rather wait literally a second and see half a news article once before speaking on it and believe everything they see at face value without much context (*coughcough* Twitter).

Light Lucario

Staff member
As bad as things are right now, I don't think that they're stupid enough to shut down Cartoon Network entirely, especially by the end of the year. I'm not sure how fast shutting down TV channels can work, but doing that within just a few months sounds a bit too fast. I do think it's a massive blow to Cartoon Network and making it a much less safe place for creators in a way. The idea that your show could be written off if it isn't successful, or more accurately successful enough in the eyes of the higher ups, is a huge risk for people within the industry. I don't think it means the end of Cartoon Network, but this is probably going to be a big red flag on the network and WB as a whole for the foreseeable future.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My two cents:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

For the record, cynics have been doing very well with their predictions as of late. Make of that what you will.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
A baseless rumor based solely on a tweet with no source cited that's since been taken down. It's a nothing burger.

Guys, I get that we're all upset and angry about what's going on with David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery and HBO Max. I don't like it either. HBO Max is the streaming service that I watched the most. However, spreading false information and running around shouting "The sky is falling!" isn't accomplishing anything. Speculation is not news. We should just wait until there's more information and make sure that said information is coming from a credible source.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Someone on Reddit told me that a person in the cartoon industry said that Cartoon Network will be replaced by a 24/7 Adult Swim channel after this year. What the heck?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Someone on Reddit told me that a person in the cartoon industry said that Cartoon Network will be replaced by a 24/7 Adult Swim channel after this year. What the heck?
Enough already.

That is definitely not going to happen.

What's happening with CN and HBO Max right now is terrible and needs to stop (and hopefully it will be stopped soon) but Cartoon Network, a still popular and profitable cable station with GLOBAL appeal and recognition is not going away anytime soon, let alone next year, and a 24/7 [adult swim] channel doesn't stand a snowball's chance of happening.

Stop getting your news from random people on social media sites and stop trying to whip people into a bigger frenzy than they're already in.

Remember the internet Rule of Thumb: No source + No link = FAKE.

Last edited:

Moe

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Same here.

Does this mean that Warner Bros. Discovery plans to shut down Cartoon Network, killing off all the planned projects for it?
For myself, I rather to wait and see about what WBD is doing after purge the HBO Max, and you will know if WBD take action.

It is completely doubt that 24/7 Adult Swim is going to happen, also there is remind for you - CN is celebrating the 30th anniversary on Oct 1, 2022 and give you a clue - if they didn't celebrate, so you would know.

Edit: @Silverstar made a great point, so you better listen to awesome daddy.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Unless they can actually provide a credible source, which might be a stretch for a Reddit post in this situation, do not believe it. A 24/7 Adult Swim channel is not happening just because a random person on Reddit told you so.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I responded to your post in another thread with this, but I might as well repost here that I don't buy that, and that the word forecast feels more like speculation to me.
More importantly, this was shown to investors, people that actually put money into the company and want a return from it, with earning calls you have to be direct as possible about their future plans and what they highlight as being important to pique their interest. CN is not going close, not by a longshot.

Francisque

Any other channel might close (and it's not even a possibility they'd close main channel brands like Discovery ) before they would even consider shutting down CN, which is their best asset in the children's department

Action!

I don't really consider Reddit as a reliable source.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Antybody can post anything on the Internet, so believing anything you read is not wise. Not even Zaslav has the power to grind an entire cable company to an instant halt and break contracts with dozens of operators that carry the thing.

As for the one who thought "24-7 Adult Swim channel"....one, a lot of their content can't be shown during the daytime and two, I'm more worried about Adult Swim than CN. Zaslav is just the type to cancel all their originals because he feels CSI reruns would perform slightly better.

(This will definitely happen, because you read it on the Internet!)

Florida Jones

No. For all the issues regarding Cartoon Network and Warner Bros right now, it's still a very marketable, successful network. To completely end Cartoon Network would be absolute sacrilege and would set a horrid precedent for other companies to get rid of their channels.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Antybody can post anything on the Internet, so believing anything you read is not wise. Not even Zaslav has the power to grind an entire cable company to an instant halt and break contracts with dozens of operators that carry the thing.

As for the one who thought "24-7 Adult Swim channel"....one, a lot of their content can't be shown during the daytime and two, I'm more worried about Adult Swim than CN. Zaslav is just the type to cancel all their originals because he feels CSI reruns would perform slightly better.

(This will definitely happen, because you read it on the Internet!)
Couldn't they just treat it like HBO/Cinemax/Showtime that can air basically anything anytime since it's premium?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts