"Jellystone!" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Series!

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 4.0%

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

powerjake

Banned
Yeah pretty much lol

Plus, the way Jellystone changed those characters it's easy to compare them to imfamous Sonic the Hedgehog recolors.

I wonder how many seasons HBO Max is going to give Jellystone as it looks like a cartoon that would not have an impact just to become obscure and forgettable.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
The new takes on the HB characters in the show were pretty weak, in my opinion. It's one thing to have Yogi Bear, Boo Boo Bear, and Cindy Bear to work at a hospital and Banana Splits being burglars, but having Huckleberry Hound as a mayor, El Kabong as a teacher, Auggie Doggie, Yakky Doodle Ducky, and Shag Bear as stereotypical annoying kids, Ruff and Ready as robot kids, Squiddly Diddley and Jabberjaw being stereotypical valley girls, Loopy de Loop as a French woman, Brian as a goth girl, Snagglepuss as a news reporter, Spook/Spooky as a silent, but deadly character, Magilla Gorilla as a nerd, Choo Choo was just..........there.
In the case of Snagglepuss as a news reporter, it does make sense when you consider his role in another major HB crossover series, Laff-a-Lympics.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Plus, the way Jellystone changed those characters it's easy to compare them to imfamous Sonic the Hedgehog recolors.

I wonder how many seasons HBO Max is going to give Jellystone as it looks like a cartoon that would not have an impact just to become obscure and forgettable.
I see it being obscure and forgettable at worst, because whom else is talking about it that isn't somewhere on TV Tropes, or just simply outright bashing it for a lot of actually good reasons to do so, is my real question...

One good reason) The art-style choice being an easy target. That, and any gross-out humor picked up on early on by anyone who hates that (you're not alone, I know I do, even if it isn't that huge a problem, it's noticeable.).

Another good reason) Nostalgia-obsessed fools be nostalgia obsessed like that; yet another easy target, this show is, because it's a reboot. That's not including the no-to-PC (anti-woke/anti-SJW) who will bash this for any and all gender changes to per-established characters (that, again, I otherwise don't mind, but I know people are doing it, regardless.).

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
It does feel like this has been dumped a bit. I've seen very little about this outside of places which talk primarily or exclusively about animation, compared to the He-Man show or even The Prince for that matter.

JMTV

Tater Tot!

I wouldn't say that, but okay lol

I don't know, but we'll see.

In the case of Snagglepuss as a news reporter, it does make sense when you consider his role in another major HB crossover series, Laff-a-Lympics.
Oh okay. I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Staff member
Reporter
I think one of the issues I have with the show is repeated by others around the web: you can basically replace every character with generic anthropomorphic animal characters and most of the show would be exactly the same. They aren't using the characters pre-established personalities and backgrounds to the fullest.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
The gender swapping of characters is a put-off for me. I think they could've found more classic Hanna-Barbera female characters to add in or just make new female characters.

It's really sad that they treat the classic Hanna-Barbera properties like a joke.

Jellystone should be called DeviantArt: The Show.

At least they’re trying to do something funny with Hanna-Barbera’s old properties. That’s more than I can say for Yo Yogi! Also, where do you draw the connection between gender-swapping and DeviantArt? If anything, I would’ve called it that if they were inflating all the characters.

Pooky

Staff member
I agree, but I can't deny it... there is something quite OCish about most of the characters in this (and *not* just the gender flipped ones).

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Well this is C.H. Greenblatt’s first major work since Harvey Beaks. It’s a typical comedy like Looney Tunes or Gumball, and really everyone’s stance on humor varies. While it’s not the funniest humor I’ve seen it’s one of the funnier cartoons I’ve watched in recent years. The kind of humor is cute similar to Unikitty that makes you feel good.

Though I think a couple of the character designs are a bit off like Yogi I enjoy the Chowder style Hanna Barbara designs. I don’t mind the gender flips in fact I love female Jabberjaw. And I’m aware that the style has gotten a few of those tired old CalArts insults, really it looks nothing like Thundercats Roar and Jellystone is a lot more faithful, Greenblatt’s style reminds me a lot of the 70’s Schoolhouse Rock songs and because these cartoons mainly existed in that time I couldn’t think of a better cartoonist to revive these characters. What I’m most disappointed in is Jellystone using flash animation over traditional. I’m sure that’s what they had to use but I miss the smooth animation in Greenblatt’s other series.

I used to watch several Hanna Barbera shows on Boomerang at my Grandparents house and watched Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law on Adult Swim so I’m familiar with a lot of the characters. The characters had creative potential like classic Looney Tunes but they were hindered by slow pacing, limited animation and strict content standards of the times. Jellystone shows the characters more fully realized even with gender flips. I doubt certain characters like Smurfs and Pac-Man would get representation due to them being licensed though if O.K. K.O. can crossover with Sonic anything’s possible.

Jellystone is certainly a better take than the live action Yogi Bear movie and John Kricfalusi’s Yogi Bear shorts (Good thing it wasn’t a full series). As one of my most anticipated series of the 2020’s it ranks as one of my favorites along with Close Enough. Depending on how the series progresses it’ll be my current go-to source for comedy.

powerjake

Banned
where do you draw the connection between gender-swapping and DeviantArt? If anything, I would’ve called it that if they were inflating all the characters.

Because the Jellystone writers reimagined the male characters as women by gender swapping them with new personalities, they have become cheap DeviantArt OC's that screams "Original Character, Do Not Steal".

Places like DeviantArt, Tumblr and other places on the internet can make too much gender swap fanart which its called Rule 63.

The characters are no longer the classic Hanna-Barbera characters because of the forced gender swapping.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
The characters are no longer the classic Hanna-Barbera characters because of the forced gender swapping.

Except it wasn't forced. C.H. Greenblatt wanted to make the changes, he asked Warner Bros. if they could, and they said yes. This isn't an issue to WB, so why is it an issue to you?

I really think some people are making far too big a deal out of the gender thing. Hanna-Barbera has had a gender disparity problem for a long time, and someone decided to address it because they knew the Smurfette thing wasn't going to fly in 2021. He kept the major players like Yogi, Boo-Boo and Huck as was and only changed the ones who are C-list and below, and honestly, I think he did a good job with that. Female Jabberjaw and Loopy DeLoop are great characters and Yakky Doodle and Chooper and Augie Doggy are far more interesting as girls than they ever were as boys. It actually makes more sense for Doggie Daddy to gush and go all 'helicopter parent' over a daughter than a son, I thought that back then.

When I see people getting all hot and bothered over the gender swaps, I just have to laugh. Y'all haven't thought about most of these characters in years, and if Jellystone! weren't suddenly a thing, you wouldn't be thinking about them now. Most of HB's roster of characters, particularly the 'funny animal' characters, were frankly interchangeable, so any alteration to them can only be an improvement. My guess is the only thing that registers in these folks' brains is "They're changing something from my childhood" and changing something from your childhood = BAD. I'm probably older than most of these haters, and the gender flips don't bother me in the slightest. On the contrary, some of the best characters on Jellystone! are the new girls.

I personally think the show is good; it's what The Looney Tunes Show should've been, IMO. Some nostalgic adults aren't going to like it, but it's a good thing the show isn't meant to a boomer nostalgia trip then, isn't it?

powerjake

Banned
I really think some people are making far too big a deal out of the gender thing. Hanna-Barbera has had a gender disparity problem for a long time, and someone decided to address it because they knew the Smurfette thing wasn't going to fly in 2021. He kept the major players like Yogi, Boo-Boo and Huck as was and only changed the ones who are C-list and below, and honestly, I think he did a good job with that. Female Jabberjaw and Loopy DeLoop are great characters and Yakky Doodle and Chooper and Augie Doggy are far more interesting as girls than they ever were as boys. It actually makes more sense for Doggie Daddy to gush and go all 'helicopter parent' over a daughter than a son, I thought that back then.

Thats really bad writing in Jellystone, thats just C.H Greenblatt taking a dump on the classic Hanna-Barbera properties. The gender swapping is a really bad idea because they are not those classic characters in anyway sinse he changed them to be cheap OC's.

They should of kept them true to William Hanna's and Joseph Barbera's canon instead of fanfic gender swapping gimmicks

What's wrong with Yogi's gang being an all man team in this era?.

Yogi-s-Gang-hanna-barbera-37797169-636-492.png

Goldstar!

All right-y!
Thats really bad writing in Jellystone, thats just C.H Greenblatt taking a dump on the classic Hanna-Barbera properties. The gender swapping is a really bad idea because they are not those classic characters in anyway sinse he changed them to be cheap OC's.

They should of kept them true to William Hanna's and Joseph Barbera's canon instead of fanfic gender swapping gimmicks

What's wrong with Yogi's gang being an all man team in this era?.

Yogi-s-Gang-hanna-barbera-37797169-636-492.png
What's wrong is that there are little girls and young women watching cartoons who also want to be represented, especially nowadays when there are more women working in the industry as writers, directors, etc. Animation can (and should) no longer be a "boys' club". Those days are over, and good riddance, frankly.

The purpose of Jellystone is to introduce these Hanna-Barbera characters to a new generation of fans, and that includes girls. And seriously, female Jabberjaw, Loopy DeLoop and female Auggie Doggy are hilarious, even if the latter basically reminds me of Chowder minus the voracious appetite.

Last edited:

powerjake

Banned
The purpose of Jellystone is to introduce these Hanna-Barbera characters to a new generation of fans, and that includes girls. And seriously, female Jabberjaw, Loopy DeLoop and female Auggie Doggy are hilarious, even if the latter basically reminds me of Chowder minus the voracious appetite.

All Jellystone did was transform those characters into gimmicky DeviantArt OC's "Original Character, Do Not Steal". It would not hurt to keep the characters intact rather than reimagining them like that.

What makes that a major problem is that it has a poor grasp of the classic source material of Hanna-Barbera.

It's perfectly fine that Jellystone has its fans, its just I do not like the Rule 63.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Does it make for good writing for forced gender swapping of classic existing Hanna-Barbera male characters?.

It doesn't.
I guess you glossed over the part where I informed you that this was a creative decision from the developers, not something that was forced upon the show. Funny that.

The gender swapping is a really bad idea because they are not those classic characters in anyway sinse he changed them to be cheap OC's.

Missed that point too, I see. Once more for the folks in the back: they aren't supposed to be the classic characters. They are new versions of the original characters for a new audience. The kids whom this show is aimed at have no prior knowledge of these characters and aren't going to care that some of them have been given 2 X chromosomes; to them they're all new characters anyway.

It's possible that Jellystone! just isn't for you, and that's fine. Everybody's not going to like everything, but in the long run, the gender thing is really a nothing burger and I don't get why you're acting like this is some sort of moral issue when it really isn't. If the show's not to your liking, just don't watch it, but huffing and puffing like this over such a minor change is just ridiculous. We're not talking about putting blue jeans on Michelangelo's statue of David, we're talking about putting hair, eyelashes and earrings on Squiddly freaking Diddly. Stop acting like some heinous crime against nature has been committed and just let the kids have their funny cartoon show already.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts